Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
battlescroll

doom 64's pistol does not make sense

there is one thing about doom 64's pistol i think is weird and that is the fire rate which is faster. now I know this was a design choice to make it better but let's look at the sprite for doom one which is a fn five-seven so the fire rate is close to what it should be. But the thing is the sprite for doom 64 is a desert eagle which has a very slow fire rate but in game is faster than the five-seven. Can someone explain this to me please.

8 hours ago, battlescroll said:

there is one thing about doom 64's pistol i think is weird and that is the fire rate which is faster. now I know this was a design choice to make it better but let's look at the sprite for doom one which is a fn five-seven so the fire rate is close to what it should be. But the thing is the sprite for doom 64 is a desert eagle which has a very slow fire rate but in game is faster than the five-seven. Can someone explain this to me please.

You literally explained it already. The D64 sprite is a gun that is known to be slow-firing, but in game it fires faster than regular Doom.

Maybe the Midway team thought the gun looked cool and decided to use it, being unaware of its real-life characteristics. It wouldn't make sense either in a game that sees you fight off hellspawn from another dimension, using otherworldly weapons like a plasma gun or BFG.

Maybe they didn't think much of it.

My conclusion: Mars and Hell have different atmospheres than on Earth; therefore the gun can fire faster.

Disagree? Then challenge me to a hoedown.

i mean if we go by that the original pistol didnt make sense either as didnt any of the doom guns they are either way too weak or way too strong and with the exeption of the ssg all of then never reloaded (and in doom 64 the ssg doesnt reload either)

15 hours ago, battlescroll said:

let's look at the sprite for doom one which is a fn five-seven

The Five-seven didn't exist in 1993. Apparently, it was a water gun modeled on a Beretta 92 that was painted black.

21 hours ago, battlescroll said:

You know, we are talking the 90ies. Back then nobody gave a shit about how real something is. Everything had to make sense within the game setting and its playability. It had to be fun.

Also, we're still talking about a pistol that can hold 400 bullets without rechargin.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, battlescroll said:

Why do you expect guns to fire at the same rate in the future?

On 5/14/2021 at 6:49 AM, battlescroll said:

But the thing is the sprite for doom 64 is a desert eagle which has a very slow fire rate but in game is faster than the five-seven. 

I never really looked at it like a desert eagle, I always saw like a futuristic looking Mauser or something. 

Spoiler

image.png.f04de58f7ad0fa06380528d784b77652.pngimage.png.0c3fa6b4ab0556846662ba0c396d5c02.png

Doom 64 so badly wants you to not use the pistol that it gives you a shotgun at the very start.

3 hours ago, chungy said:

Doom 64 so badly wants you to not use the pistol that it gives you a shotgun at the very start.

Just like Ultimate Doom, the pistol serves its purpose of killing the first 2 zombiemen at the start of the level before you immediately want something else.

3 hours ago, chungy said:

Or like how Doom Eternal literally cut the pistol out lol.

24 minutes ago, Labryx said:

Just like Ultimate Doom, the pistol serves its purpose of killing the first 2 zombiemen at the start of the level before you immediately want something else.

Zombiemen that do not exist on the easier skill levels. :P