Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David Asaad

"Legion of the Balls of Steel" 1 Boom-compatible Slaughter Map [idgames]

1 hour ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

I've never seen so many holes in one screenshot.

These cacos are giving me trypophobia

Hey man, you're walkthroughs are helping me with Sunlust. I'm definitely not up to this yet, but will give it a shot soon :)

2 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Hey man, you're walkthroughs are helping me with Sunlust. I'm definitely not up to this yet, but will give it a shot soon :)

Oh thats awesome to hear! I saw ur post about how ur on map 28. GL!

1 minute ago, David Asaad said:

Oh thats awesome to hear! I saw ur post about how ur on map 28. GL!

Map 28 is done. Mostly thanks to your UV fast walkthrough, you absolute madman. Amazingly, I got through it in under 10 attempts. 

Maps 20 and 24 are definitely the hardest in the set I reckon. 

29 is challenging but fun. Not looking forward to 30...

Pretty cool, played through on HMP, had fun. Cool idea with the retextured D01 map.

Edited by lunchlunch

Dang, it's RC2 already? I tried to play the map and was having a good time learning it, but I seem to consistently suffer a massive lag spike after the initial three switches are pressed the the frame drop only goes away about a minute or two afterwards. Must be all those viles suddenly bringing loads of stuff into existence:

Spoiler

I was playing in 320x200 resolution but it didn't really help. I've never had this problem before with the ton of other slaughtermaps I've played though I haven't really tried all the super-macroslaughter ones only because I'm not into them. 

EDIT: forgot to mention I had the gamma turned all the way up because I could see in all that chaos lol

hhddh.png.2d62f44d07fd6eb7750b920082e074f8.png

I don't think this is really a problem with the map itself, though. I had fun, congrats on your first release!

Here's my HNTR demos of RC1 I guess, DNF'd on all of them. "xyzp5.lmp" in particular was my attempt to do a -recordfromto stitched together demo to fight the lag before I found out this map updated:

xyzp5.zip

Edited by Xyzzy01

1 hour ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Dang, it's RC2 already? I tried to play the map and was having a good time learning it, but I seem to consistently suffer a massive lag spike after the initial three switches are pressed the the frame drop only goes away about a minute or two afterwards. Must be all those viles suddenly bringing loads of stuff into existence:

Hide contents

I was playing in 320x200 resolution but it didn't really help. I've never had this problem before with the ton of other slaughtermaps I've played though I haven't really tried all the super-macroslaughter ones only because I'm not into them. 

EDIT: forgot to mention I had the gamma turned all the way up because I could see in all that chaos lol

hhddh.png.2d62f44d07fd6eb7750b920082e074f8.png

I don't think this is really a problem with the map itself, though. I had fun, congrats on your first release!

Here's my HNTR demos of RC1 I guess, DNF'd on all of them. "xyzp5.lmp" in particular was my attempt to do a -recordfromto stitched together demo to fight the lag before I found out this map updated:

xyzp5.zip

hey thanks a bunch! thats kind of unfortunate with the lag, but idk if there is anything I can do about it besides just deleting monsters lol which ofc is not happening. I can try if you or anyone else finds the cause in the editor.

Awesome tribute + super cool video going through and talking about it. I love the tonal difference between dmn01 and this, done through the "cooled off" textures and intimidating messages. :)

5 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

[...] I seem to consistently suffer a massive lag spike after the initial three switches are pressed the the frame drop only goes away about a minute or two afterwards.

4 hours ago, David Asaad said:

hey thanks a bunch! thats kind of unfortunate with the lag, but idk if there is anything I can do about it besides just deleting monsters lol which ofc is not happening. I can try if you or anyone else finds the cause in the editor.

It is caused by teleporter lines in the monster holding areas with zero tags.

These have no effect, monsters merely cross the line as if it were not present (unless of course you happen to have sectors with tag zero containing teleporter destination points). However they cause the engine to freeze momentarily, as it was unfortunately coded to look for the appropriate teleporter destination point by looping over the entire actor list for each of the hundreds of sectors with tag zero. This can reach millions of loop iterations, and as observed here can apply a significant drag, even to fast, modern CPUs.

Looking at the map, lines 5230, 5242, 5908, and 5947 each need an appropriate non-zero tag.

Looking at the lines adjacent to those, it seems likely that lines 5242 and 5947 were meant to have tag 9, and lines 5230 and 5908 were meant to have tag 10.

11 minutes ago, RjY said:

It is caused by teleporter lines in the monster holding areas with zero tags.

These have no effect, monsters merely cross the line as if it were not present (unless of course you happen to have sectors with tag zero containing teleporter destination points). However they cause the engine to freeze momentarily, as it was unfortunately coded to look for the appropriate teleporter destination point by looping over the entire actor list for each of the hundreds of sectors with tag zero. This can reach millions of loop iterations, and as observed here can apply a significant drag, even to fast, modern CPUs.

Looking at the map, lines 5230, 5242, 5908, and 5947 each need an appropriate non-zero tag.

Looking at the lines adjacent to those, it seems likely that lines 5242 and 5947 were meant to have tag 9, and lines 5230 and 5908 were meant to have tag 10.

hey thanks for that! just updated it

Here's a first exit demo now that the lag is gone!
take2.zip

This was actually the second time I made it to the end but forgot I needed bfg ammo lol. Those lost souls are so terrifying! I have no real complaints or criticisms, the map was good!

played in uv .im not good at the game , thus i save scumed through the second and third fight , had LOTS of fun. i am excited to save scum your next realese if it comes  .keep it up 

sweet map, looking forward to seeing you max chads bring down times on this one

LotBoS1x616.zip