Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vortale

The Lost Magic - A Boom Mapset

If you liked Vortale's megawad from last year, you'll definitely like this! It gets my seal of approval anyway. Sometimes, the Hereiarchs got a little bit annoying but I also was playing very casually to get a feel for things so don't take it from me.

Congratulations on the release!  I had a lot of fun playing through this and enjoyed the new monster inclusions with the magical theme.  Admittedly some secrets felt like they would have made the levels even more fun if I had known about them (sometimes offering weapons that aren't in the levels otherwise) but that does encourage replayability too.

Spoiler

MAP21 - it doesn't seem like the three keys do anything, as all four switches in the center of the arena can be activated without them.

The maps that end with a teleporter doesn't really end for me. Am I supposed to die and get a forced pistol start on the next map?

16 hours ago, Serathis said:

The maps that end with a teleporter doesn't really end for me. Am I supposed to die and get a forced pistol start on the next map?

I imagine it's because GZDoom's compatibility setting isn't set to Boom (Strict). That's on me for missing it during testing and not forcing the compatibility settings automatically, I'll make sure going forward that if you skip the first death wall due to compat settings, a second one will make sure you're dead.

...unless of course I'm wrong and you're not even using GZDoom. Either way it'll be fixed.

It took until seeing someone mention this in the Cacowards nomination thread to realize this was a full 32-level megaWAD. I had checked the thread a few times before and for some reason just assumed it was, like, an episode or something. I have no idea why. Anyway, seeing it's 32 maps had made me intrigued, so I will be checking this out now! Screens look great at least

3 hours ago, Vortale said:

I imagine it's because GZDoom's compatibility setting isn't set to Boom (Strict). That's on me for missing it during testing and not forcing the compatibility settings automatically, I'll make sure going forward that if you skip the first death wall due to compat settings, a second one will make sure you're dead.

...unless of course I'm wrong and you're not even using GZDoom. Either way it'll be fixed.

Using GzDoom but even on strict Boom comp, I dont get killed at the teleport finish.

Played through the first half. This is really cool. That second episode in the multi-color alien dimension is absolutely gorgeous. It's nice having something look like that and not be ball-bustingly hard for one. Difficulty in general is nice on UV. Not really hard, but it's no slouch. Also, I stopped on map 32, and I have a feeling that one's gonna be a toughie. I like the new Dehacked touches. The assault rifle feels and sounds nice. The BFG replacement seems like it has different timing to it. The shotguns also seem a little off to me. The monster changes look nice. The blue fireballs coming from the cacos are my favorite change so far. Those cultists are surprisingly annoying too. So yeah, I'm definitely enjoying this! Very solid, and impressive for being a 1-month full megaWAD. 

Quick hotfix!

I was hoping to wait until I had the chance to get to making all difficulty settings before I released the next version, but there was a few significant problems I couldn't really leave and I'm not going to be able to get to the difficulties for a little bit yet. Changes are in the changelog in the main post.

Map31 did get a bit of an alteration. It was easier to shoot the targets than intended and I decided to adjust that. They should be much harder to autoaim to from the floor, but to compensate, the holes are now wider. If map31 gamers want to give it a run with the new intended route, let me know how it goes. Personally I don't think it should be that much harder, but I'd like to know so it doesn't become a D2ALL choke point.

Also, despite what I just said previously, Map32 does have difficulties implemented. I've had a few people not happy with the sheer difficulty spike, and as such HMP and below have items to make the fights easier to pass through, if you just wanna practice the fights or simply get to the end.

Finally, the pistol and plasma gun are the only two with changes (100% accuracy and no cooldown respectively). The only changes for the other weapons are their animation frames, the fire rate is exactly the same.

8 hours ago, Vortale said:

Map31 did get a bit of an alteration. It was easier to shoot the targets than intended and I decided to adjust that. They should be much harder to autoaim to from the floor, but to compensate, the holes are now wider. If map31 gamers want to give it a run with the new intended route, let me know how it goes. Personally I don't think it should be that much harder, but I'd like to know so it doesn't become a D2ALL choke point.

Decided to give the new version a spin and I've got to say, I much prefer this one. I went in blind to the changes and not quite woken up and was able to get it in 21 attempts (and 2 or 3 runs were close). A lot of that was figuring out where they could be shoot from and working out a route. I think this is an improvement, and I don't think I would worry too much about the D2All - players coming over will have some BFG ammo which should make the run quite a bit easier, and there's not enough damage to usually kill you in that room til the chaingunners spawn anyway.

Anyway, here's all of the runs (21 being the successful secret exit):

TLM31--00002.zip

Congrats on the release V. I'm really enjoying my time with it so far. I did find one bug though that wasn't mentioned in the thread. The orange liquid flat in Map31 doesn't animate. I'm guessing that this wasn't intentional and it's simply a case of the flat not being added to the BOOM ANIMATED lump. I'm playing using the RC1 fix using GZDoom 4.8.2

Spoiler

14UpNcD.png

As a side note, I really enjoyed watching you stream the map making process, and I appreciate the helpful tip you gave me on mapping blocks :)

I'm very impressed with what you accomplished at whatever breakneck pace you needed to crank out 32 maps in a single month. That detail notwithstanding these maps happen to be visually interesting and a lot of fun! I've only played the first 5 so far but I'm really into this more bite-sized content; gives you some good momentum and it means you can kind of come and go as you please. I love the revolver and the sound and only wish it packed the punch you might expect from one, but it's a minor gripe. The AR is pretty satisfying and a nice mixup from the standard chaingun.

Can't wait to see what else is next!

I also recorded my playthrough so far if you'd like to check it out:

How do you get to the super secret exit in Map31? I've shot all the crystals and the door( I assume that this door opens once all the crystals are shot) won't open. The reason I'm asking is that I saw this door open a little bit then stop.

EDIT: I'm using GZDoom 4.8.2 with Compatibility set to Boom(strict). 

Spoiler

ppuoYDY.png

5 hours ago, Silhouette 03 said:

How do you get to the super secret exit in Map31? I've shot all the crystals and the door( I assume that this door opens once all the crystals are shot) won't open. The reason I'm asking is that I saw this door open a little bit then stop.

EDIT: I'm using GZDoom 4.8.2 with Compatibility set to Boom(strict). 

Hide contents

ppuoYDY.png

There's a hint behind the portal. If you're looking into the black void, you can see it.

Spoiler

You have to be quick to shoot them

Was the bug ever fixed for some of those end teleporters that were supposed to kill you when you enter them? Would this be an issue relating to playing this megawad on GZDoom?

2 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

Was the bug ever fixed for some of those end teleporters that were supposed to kill you when you enter them? Would this be an issue relating to playing this megawad on GZDoom?

I played through on GZDoom and never had issues. I did make sure the compatibility settings were on Boom strict since it wasn't forced.

I'm currently halfway through, and this set is amazing. This is super fun. What impresses me the most is how high overall quality and attention to detail are considering this was made in just a month.

Big congrats on the release!

RC2 finally chucked out! Changes in the changelog on the first post.

The main thing, outside of bug fixes, is that all difficulty settings are now available! If we have any HMP or ITYTD gamers who want to give it a run through, now you can!

I also decided to make Default compatibility in GZDoom function just fine, so no need to force any changes, you can play how you like. Death exits are fine.

I feel kinda dumb making the post about 1.5 changes given that neither map31 or 32 had the changes they were supposed to. I'm not entirely sure what happened, given every other change in 1.5 was in there. Anyway!

The remaining things to do are more testing in other ports as well as making sure multiplayer shenanigans work just fine. I also don't know how to let the player skip The Sorcerer during the end screen roll call (probably a result of Dehacked changes) but that isn't all too pressing. The next release will be the final/idgames one, where I shalln't be touching it ever again.

Thank you to everyone who has given this a shot and had a blast with it!

I can't believe this megawad was made in only a month. Easily one of the best Doom mapsets I've played this year. The custom Dehacked stuff is really nifty as well (Plasma rifle is awesome). The only downside is that you can't use weapon mods. You can however, use enemy and gameplay mods which is a nice touch.

Played in PrBoom+ 2.6.2 on HNTR, and when I get to the exit on MAP12, I hear the Icon of Sin die, but the level doesn't progress and instead I am stuck in pitch black darkness, dead, rather than on the next level in a pistol start.

And with that, the final version of TLM is complete! If there are any problems now, tough! (There really shouldn't be but feel free to surprise me) Right now the alternate link is exactly what was posted to idgames so I will update the thread when it's up on idgames.

Thank you to everyone who helped me test the past few weeks, and thank you to everyone who gave it a shot and supported the stream during the month long journey!

What's next in the pipeline? We'll see, probably just a mapset!