397358a87daa6d54d04f436b0265a226.jpg 

dd35c6884464f35073af3bcfd4f86f4e.jpg

92066412cc66d9c6c88150684deaeeec.jpg

9bf351b1180ceb7ded713faa5de51f82.png

85b292328a38432f4f5002ad2fad5609.png

116620c00e1d34cfc9cd882004ee0931.png

5cdb759a769bd71c1a04e9741a55d7f7.png

fcfb351454b14f9c1d6ade12254a730b.png

Ma god, i didn't think you did shadows with it. Thats why your wad weights 100+mb ;) totaly stealing the technique

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Did someone say boom slopes?

I thought these weren't kosher? I guess as long as you don't make the player move over them.

3 hours ago, Pechudin said:

I thought these weren't kosher? I guess as long as you don't make the player move over them.

Pretty much this yeah. Though it's Doom, do what you want! We wouldn't have a single percentage of the cool maps and mapping techniques we have today had people not experimented and gone against the grain. :)

16 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Did someone say boom slopes?

It's funny how much better these look than the perfect smoothness of actual slopes in a lot of cases, at least when used well.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:12 PM, Dragonfly said:

Pretty much this yeah. Though it's Doom, do what you want! We wouldn't have a single percentage of the cool maps and mapping techniques we have today had people not experimented and gone against the grain. :)

Why are we calling them boom slopes though? Shouldn't they be limit-removing slopes?

9 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

Avast ye scurvy Doomers!!

Looks good, but maybe a bit too brown. Kinda hard to distinguish details.

5 minutes ago, NeilForshaw said:

Experimenting with saving states during a map to make vids/gifs showing a level being built

sje-build-1-sm.gif?ex=659041a1&is=657dcc

Made for the PUSS XXXII D30 project

What's your method?

2 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

My little contribution to Doom's 30th. Sadly still just screenshots for now!

Hide contents

Stuff

Holy shit! These look super good! What engine are you making these with?

2 hours ago, NeilForshaw said:

Experimenting with saving states during a map to make vids/gifs showing a level being built

Oooh, this is awesome!

Is this something you can essentially automate and just map as normal? If so I'd be *very* interested in using this some time :D

6 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Holy shit! These look super good! What engine are you making these with?

Thanks! So far most maps are limit removing, but the final release will require a port that supports Boom, DEHEXTRA, and possibly some other modern features.

The 3D effects seen in a couple of shots are vanilla compatible BTW.

9 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Woah, is it too hard to make these boom slopes?

Not hard per se, just sort of tedious. They're essentially just sectors with a length of 1px in one direction and height differences of 1-2px.

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

Not hard per se, just sort of tedious. They're essentially just sectors with a length of 1px in one direction and height differences of 1-2px.

Ah, I see! What about the texture, do you have to combine ceiling + floor texture to get what you desire?

The texture side of things is where the difficulty can arise, but again, it's not that difficult or time consuming with modern tools. Careful use of UDB's stair builder can automate almost all of it for you, if used correctly.

1 minute ago, Deadwing said:

Ah, I see! What about the texture, do you have to combine ceiling + floor texture to get what you desire?

In some cases, yes, but naturally it depends on the visual effect you're trying to achieve. I've actually done very little with these types of slopes myself, so I won't pretend to be an expert on the matter. Most of my knowledge of slopes comes from the ZDoom side of things.

43 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Thanks a lot, guys!

It's also better not to abuse them too much as well, right?

If possible. They are contributing in increasing of linedef count, and overall filesize. Blink  and your wads will weight more than you expect.
But again beauty demands sacrifices.