Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

Achondar, Vicious Servant, Swamplands.

eg0_135a.jpg?w=300&h=300

Dark ambient: music for the old video game Heart of Darkness.

Gusev K.P., Mnogoodin, 5113.

eg0_136a.jpg?w=300&h=300

Ambient, electronics, glitches.

Edited by ducon

Slo-Blo, Périgée, Périgée #1.

eg0_137a.jpg?w=300&h=300

Lo-fi dark ambient.

Eurovision Über Alles, Ügenics, Ügenics part 1.

eurovision_uber_alles_-_ugenics.jpg?w=30

Dark ambient.

Ayato & Naoki Ishida, Red_control rec.played.

eg0_139a.jpg?w=300&h=300

Experimental.

Edited by ducon

Kecap Tuyul, Tunnel Songs, 1.

tunnel-songs.jpg?w=300&h=300

Dark ambient experimentations with a guitar.

XtetX, Nabemono, Zakr’n’fix.

eg0_141a.png?w=300&h=300

Improvisation, ambient, noise.

Edited by ducon

Finally getting around to finishing this album, such an amazing listen from front to back. I make it my tradition to listen to Willie the Pimp every time I drive home from work. Guess I'm going on to listen to Burnt Weeny Sandwich now.

12 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Finally getting around to finishing this album, such an amazing listen from front to back. I make it my tradition to listen to Willie the Pimp every time I drive home from work. Guess I'm going on to listen to Burnt Weeny Sandwich now.

Love this song.

Anyway, glad you asked OP. I've always loved music and I've been playing guitar for five years now, but I've finally really devoted my free time to practicing and attempting to write music. The side effect of that is constantly listening to music - both tracks I've known for a long time and finding new stuff. Also bear with me, I'm weird and generally listen to music in album form, not in playlists, at least not often.

Tug of War: Paul McCartney

I've loved The Beatles since I was a little kid. McCartney's solo stuff was not something I delved into much, other than loving McCartney (Bowl of Cherries is generally what it's called) and Ram in middle school and high school. It took a while to "get" those albums, but when you look at Bowl of Cherries as a coping mechanism for Paul's failing friendships, loss of direction after the messy breakup, etc. it really is a somber masterpiece. Alternatively, Ram is an upbeat, experimental rock album. Lots of fun - I've always thought McCartney was a master of making stupid lyrics fun. He also pairs them with great instrumentation and melodies. I was also enamored with these albums since all the music was written and performed solely by McCartney (with a few exceptions). This is not to say he's a bad serious writer, far from it (he wrote For No One, Yesterday, and Eleanor Rigby in a very short time period. He also penned the Flaming Pie and Chaos and Creation in the Backyard albums). Anyway, those two albums and some hits from Wings were my only experiences with Paul's stuff. A while back, Paul released McCartney III, his third solo written, performed, produced, and engineered album in that series. Fun side notes, I pre - ordered the album and it came in a clear, green tinted "coke glass" record. I have a decent Yamaha amp and turntable pushing some JBL's so that's always a nice record to play. Second fun side note, the album art (all the McCartney albums have photo collages inside) seems to imply it was recorded on magnetic tape. Might be false, who knows.

Anyway,

I threw McCartney III on the turntable on a whim and ended up thoroughly enjoying myself. I'd only listened twice before and no songs really stuck out to me. This time round I ended up loving quite a few of the songs and the experience left me in a McCartney mood. The only other modern record by him I own physically is Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, which I love. I played that too and now I've been properly discovering his later music. That leads me to Tug of War. So many excellent songs, the title track being a standout favorite. I don't want to write too much more about Paul tonight, so I'll just give some final thoughts. Everything in Tug of War feels like it's in the right place. The mix is spotless, the production is full and very enjoyable to listen to. It feels like Paul took a step back from everything to really make the best record he can. These records have sent me into a late career McCartney deep dive.

801 Live: 801 (Phil Manzanera, Brian Eno, and Friends)

As much as I love Brian Eno's ambient works like Apollo, Music for Films, Wobble, etc. this record always makes me dream of a future where 801 was a real band with Eno on lead vocals, synths, and weird tape treatments. Another Green World and Here Come the Warm Jets are some of my all time favorite albums, so hearing some live tracks mixed in with a rowdy cover of The Kinks' You Really Got Me and a spacy but groovin' take on The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows, and tracks from Manzanera's Diamond Head album is like a dream come true. This is also one of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard, I really gotta get a copy. I listen to a lot of albums I don't own on Spotify heh. Sadly this one live recording is all that exists of the 801 super group, unless you count Eno and Manzanera's early albums, which share similar lineups.

Daniel Romano's Outfit Does (what could've been) Bob Dylan's Infidels: Bob Dylan and the Plugz: Daniel Romano Group

So if you are cool, you've seen Bob's 1984 David Letterman performance of one of his best songs, Jokerman, with a LA punk group called The Plugz. If not, I'll do you a favor. Many others look at this as a musical "what if". What if Infidels featured nothing but strats into overdriven Marshalls and punchy punk drums? Well Daniel Romano did just that. With an excellent 80's Dylan impression, he belts out classics like Man of Peace, License to Kill, and of course Jokerman note for note. I'm not big into impersonation acts but this album is seriously excellent. I bought it on Bandcamp and have not regretted it. 

I've been listening to a lot more (King Crimson's USA and Lark's Tongues albums, Katie Morey's Friend of a Friend, Eno and Cale's Wrong Way Up, Dylan's Blonde on Blonde) but I'll save you all the write up and fangirling (for now >:)

XtetX, (2×2)², Codestruction metasystem beta.

eg0_144a.jpg?w=300&h=300

Ambient, experimental, dark ambient.

Edited by ducon

10 hours ago, ax34 said:

Right now listening to Exist Trace

https://www.youtube.com/user/existNET

Seeing gothic-influenced visual kei alive and kicking warms this ancient heart.

I honestly don't think I've heard anything by these ladies since TRUE. They've evolved into their own thing, and Jyou's voice has definitely gotten more resonant and polished with age, but I must admit to missing their old style: the contrast between the metal growls and melodic vocals was what made me take notice of them in the first place.