Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bri

Scorn (4 new maps!) RC3

54 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Will this run in GZDoom?

Just played the first level in GZDoom g4.8.2, everything worked fine.

Looks like a mid '90s interior design & furniture catalogue.

Yes, it's a compliment.

Gonna play!

1 hour ago, Maribo said:

Would love to see follow-ups to that blood-soaked aesthetic shift in Map06.

Yeah, I had fun building more simple maps - feels less pressuring - so I might continue it. :)

Terrific WAD, Bri! I discovered a broken fence and also cheekily kind of broke one of the secrets, you'll see. Aside from those two instances, it's water-tight and you should be proud of your work. Another wonderful piece of Doomage from you, mate.

Gonna be real with you, chief - the screenshots weren't as eye-popping as your last couple of wads, so I wasn't sure what to make of this before hitting download. I ain't usually a snob with that kind of thing, but your previous episodes used unique palettes so effectively, and that's something I adore seeing in maps. But then I went and played the first three levels anyway and...

19 hours ago, Bri said:

It's also not really intended to be anything fancy; just simple fun.

It's a goddamned masterclass on compact interconnectivity, is what it is: quit selling yourself short.

Great little wad! Thanks!

Had one small problem on map 5 but I think it was related to SD21 and not the wad :) image.png.44f6d00c004e2aad8ebc2b4c517fa9c7.png

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Terrific WAD, Bri! I discovered a broken fence and also cheekily kind of broke one of the secrets, you'll see. Aside from those two instances, it's water-tight and you should be proud of your work. Another wonderful piece of Doomage from you, mate.

Thanks mate! I'm always grateful you take the time to play my wads. Sorry for the last level though, haha - I know you're not keen on that kinda stuff but that's ok.

As far as the broken secret, I kinda like it because it seems logical to me that you could just reach through and push the button. Also, The fence in level 5 has "block land monsters" set in MBF21, so that might be a compatibility issue. I didn't test it on GZDoom though.

1 hour ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Gonna be real with you, chief - the screenshots weren't as eye-popping as your last couple of wads, so I wasn't sure what to make of this before hitting download. I ain't usually a snob with that kind of thing, but your previous episodes used unique palettes so effectively, and that's something I adore seeing in maps. But then I went and played the first three levels anyway and...

It's a goddamned masterclass on compact interconnectivity, is what it is: quit selling yourself short.

You're too kind but I hate talking myself up. I'm glad you enjoy it though. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Napsalm said:

Great little wad! Thanks!

Had one small problem on map 5 but I think it was related to SD21 and not the wad :) image.png.44f6d00c004e2aad8ebc2b4c517fa9c7.png

I reported a similar bug recently on the SD21 page, it had something to do with the raise states for the cacodemon if I remember correctly. Just get the updated version of SD21.

Onto the WAD - just finished it on UV. Very enjoyable. I'm already a big fan of your work, and this is really different: more restraint with the aesthetics and the texture choices, but it works very well. It has a Plutonia cadence to it: punishing, congested, but fair. For me, one of your mapping trademarks gameplay-wise is the brilliant use of arch-viles, and I sure got a decent serving here, particularly in the last map. I hope I'll find some time to record a full UV run once I finish some other stuff on my list. Thank you for another great map set!

Just finished the mapset on HNTR.

I liked the design, but I didn't like the steep difficulty curve from map 2 to map 3. It goes from a map that I could handle just fine to a map that immediately killed me the first few times in an instant.

This was so cool.

I wished there was a fake exit at the end of MAP06, because I found the secret BFG when everything was done and I was stacked and really wanted to use it for good

Alright, I finished it. MAP06's forced pistol start felt a bit cheap, but otherwise, it is a good mapset. Thank you for making it!

6 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Just finished the mapset on HNTR.

I liked the design, but I didn't like the steep difficulty curve from map 2 to map 3. It goes from a map that I could handle just fine to a map that immediately killed me the first few times in an instant.

I think I still need to tinker with the easier difficulty settings so they're more appropriate. I appreciate this feedback.

5 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

This was so cool.

I wished there was a fake exit at the end of MAP06, because I found the secret BFG when everything was done and I was stacked and really wanted to use it for good

Yeah I might need to rework that bfg. It's mainly there in case players are backed into a corner. But more experienced players won't need it.

I've finished the wad today. I like the simple maps though, but I had some trouble trying to 100% in MAP04 on HMP due to barely any ammo at the end.

Also there's a couple of things I've noticed from playing in different difficulties.

MAP01:
There are no exploding barrels on HNTR & HMP.

MAP03:
There's no Megasphere in the secret on HNTR & HMP.

MAP04:
The Plasma Rifle can be bumped before the yellow key door. 
There's no box of shotgun shells & bullets, and the two energy cells (Things 172-175) after entering through the red key door on HNTR & HMP.

MAP05:
The rails (Linedefs 640, 643, 646, & 649) are passable.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:09 PM, Berubaretto said:

Just played the first level in GZDoom g4.8.2, everything worked fine.

Thanks for testing it, will play! Great avi btw

4 hours ago, S3M_XM said:

I've finished the wad today. I like the simple maps though, but I had some trouble trying to 100% in MAP04 on HMP due to barely any ammo at the end.

Also there's a couple of things I've noticed from playing in different difficulties.

MAP01:

MAP03:
There's no Megasphere in the secret on HNTR & HMP.

MAP04:
The Plasma Rifle can be bumped before the yellow key door. 
There's no box of shotgun shells & bullets, and the two energy cells (Things 172-175) after entering through the red key door on HNTR & HMP.

MAP05:
The rails (Linedefs 640, 643, 646, & 649) are passable.

3 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

Ran into a map03 softlock (I think)

Thank you, both. I'll sort these out.

Just finished my run and I can't overstate how much I enjoy this. As a habitual HNTR player that butts against their skill-ceiling pretty quickly and gets burned out on megawads, I adore these challenging, bite-sized sets that give me the ability to blast through the lot and the confidence to do it again immediately on the next highest difficulty.

In total agreement with @DreadWanderer, too: there's a playfulness to the archi encounters; smart and toothy, but never outright mean.

Thanks for this set, Bri.

But while you're cleaning it up - I hesitate to mention it because it's such a trifling thing - I noticed that the pinkies don't come down off their stairs for the final battle in HNTR.

13 hours ago, Bri said:

I think I still need to tinker with the easier difficulty settings so they're more appropriate. I appreciate this feedback.

Just my two cents regarding HMP:

I thought that difficulty was perfect, it had some bite but I never bumped into anything that felt like a sudden increase in difficulty - except maybe the last map but I thought that fit very well.

I've uploaded RC2 which mainly fixes HNTR and a few odds and ends. Check the original post for the download. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Just finished my run and I can't overstate how much I enjoy this. As a habitual HNTR player that butts against their skill-ceiling pretty quickly and gets burned out on megawads, I adore these challenging, bite-sized sets that give me the ability to blast through the lot and the confidence to do it again immediately on the next highest difficulty.

In total agreement with @DreadWanderer, too: there's a playfulness to the archi encounters; smart and toothy, but never outright mean.

Thanks for this set, Bri.

But while you're cleaning it up - I hesitate to mention it because it's such a trifling thing - I noticed that the pinkies don't come down off their stairs for the final battle in HNTR.

You're very welcome and thanks again.

The pinkies are mainly restricted there to prevent players rushing the exit. But I'm thinking that whole end fight needs some adjustment which I might work on for later.

No resemblance to Scorn. 0/10

Nah jk :D

This was an awesome mapset. As others have noted it has an exceptional feeling of progression throughout in terms of acquiring gear, receiving and using keys, pathways that loop back to where a key is used and when and how many new monsters appear. Lovely use of light and shadows in places to spruce up the vanilla textures and provide added atmosphere.

Finished it in about 40 minutes, HMP difficulty, GZDoom (latest). 

Found one bug though, a very minor one since you almost immediately get to the place anyway. I walked through the fence here:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230619_162405.png.bd8db893f44a2ed8996733959cd5b07d.png