Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[RC5] EVITERNITY II - RC5 Released!

23 minutes ago, Cartel said:

Stupid question, but what does RC mean?

Release candidate, basically a version that's pretty close to the final release, but needs some extra polishing such as fixing some oversights that we weren't aware of at the time, or doing a few changes based on the feedback we've been getting

Map24 RC2

1. Minor alignment issue with OFENCB01 at vertex 5312.

2. ORAILA03 should not be on lines 37546, 17543 and 37487.

I just loved the battleship ! Great work there. :) .

Map26 RC2

I noticed an issue at sectors 2945, 2995 and 2941. Those sectors probably should have had a floor/ceiling height differerence of 128, for the texture OFIREA41. Then needs alignment.

I admit to giving up on this level. WAY too many monsters compared to pickups.

Map27 RC2

Start the map, drop down into the circular area ... then what ?

Edited by hawkwind

NO FRICKIN' WAY.

Dude, i'm only downloading it as I type this but you've already made my day/week/month/year. Eviternity was the mod that got me hooked on Doom again, and the one I go back to playing the most. I'm already stoked. Thanks heaps.

4 hours ago, hawkwind said:

ORAILA03 should not be on lines 37546, 17543(I assume it's actually 37545) and 37487.

ORAILA03 textures are there to hide the entrance of the level's super secret sequence, like a fake wall. I dealt with the minor alignment around the vertex 5312, thanks for the report!

I absolutely love that this was released out of nowhere! Eviternity is my favourite ever set of Doom levels so to say this was a pleasant surprise is a supreme understatement.

Just finished my first continuous UV playthrough. The team really knocked it out of the park! So much variety in terms of encounters, new monsters and visual styles. For me it felt a little more uneven than E1 but not in terms of quality, more because it seems like more risks were taken. For example Map33 is technically so damn cool but....I don't want to play it. To each their own, and I'm happy it was included even if it wasn't for me.

I think the "secret level attached to each episode" structure makes a lot more sense and I liked that finding the secret exits wasn't toooo hard. Becuase I'm not great at finding secrets but I hate missing out on secret levels. And, just like E1, the way many levels included the beginning of the next is an inspired touch.

My only technical issue is it seems very dark at times? I'm using GZdoom, mostly default settings, and I'm not sure how to fix this other than fiddle with gamma (yuck!) or play at night (yeah!).

Some random spoilery thoughts:

• Spoiler

• The new boss is awesome. I love the design, much more otherworldly than Archangelus which makes it nicely unsettling. Although, given the title screen and the new cacodemon type, I was half expecting it to be an absolutely giant cacodemon :D The megaspheres could be toned down a little though.
    • The penetrator is super fun to use but feels a little OP. Yes, it's great that you have to earn it in secret levels, but I felt slightly cheap using it. Especially against the final boss. This will be a non-issue during a pistol start playthrough.
    • I miss the former captains, but the corporals are good and have a nice niche as fragile snipers.
    • Like the change to projectiles for the annihilators. Still can be a challenge but can now be taken on in open areas. Not sure if it's my imagination but they seem less prone to infighting with each other? Which is a good thing IMO because they tended to cut each other down pretty savagely in E1.
    • I'm not sure how one is supposed to tackle map26 "properly". I ended up hiding in a corner for most of the major fight, which worked but didn't feel right. It's possible I just need to suck less.
    • Kenosis is a strange level, but I like it. The music ("music"?), and weird empty bleak atmosphere is quite unique and oppressive. And that end fight had me grinning so much, what an amazing transition!
    • In fact all the secret levels (except 33 but that's just, like, my opinion man) are very special. Parallel is an absolute joy. Freya is just wonderful, couldn't help but smile the whole way through. And Charge is such a series of fun surprises!
    • Finally, the credits level is underrated! The way the player can select music is neat. Not sure how the views into each level are accomplished (are they skyboxes?) but it's a really sharp effect. It was great to be reminded of all the top notch levels I just went through.

I'm very much looking forward to a pistol start playthrough, though it will no doubt kick my arse.

Edited by Lord Belial

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

ORAILA03 textures are there to hide the entrance of the level's super secret sequence, like a fake wall. I dealt with the minor alignment around the vertex 5312, thanks for the report!

How do they hide anything, since they are not seen from sector 2722, but are from sector 2284 ? Doesn't make sense to me.

26 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

How do they hide anything, since they are not seen from sector 2722, but are from sector 2284 ? Doesn't make sense to me.

You don't reach sector 2722 first, unless either you used a noclip cheat code or you made a precise jump from the ship to the dock. I've seen multiple livestreams on twitch and I haven't seen a single person, who decided to cross that fake railing from the BFG secret so far.

@Dragonfly, I just noticed MAP03 doesn't have the blood trails close to/around the body at the beginning in GZDoom, just FYI and pretty sure you already noticed or someone already said something about it, no big deal anyway.

2 minutes ago, Goldar said:

Oh, well, crap.

What's the version of your GZDoom? It's recommended to use the latest version 4.11.3

47 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

@Dragonfly, I just noticed MAP03 doesn't have the blood trails close to/around the body at the beginning in GZDoom, just FYI and pretty sure you already noticed or someone already said something about it, no big deal anyway.

I use GZDoom (the latest stable) and the blood trails are there.

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

You don't reach sector 2722 first, unless either you used a noclip cheat code or you made a precise jump from the ship to the dock. I've seen multiple livestreams on twitch and I haven't seen a single person, who decided to cross that fake railing from the BFG secret so far.

No cheating at all. I teleported to sector 2284 from line 9203. When the player takes the "ladder/steps" - sector 2924 etc. player sees the texture, giving the player the impression that getting to sector 2722 cannot be done, but when at sector 2722 and looking up at said "ladder/stairs", the texture is logically not seen.

Map 29 RC2

1. Cacos' freely pass through the fence textur EFENCA01.

2. Sector 1380 needs a floor height of -420, since as sector 1789 lowers to -424, not -420.

This  causes, at least in gzdoom hardware, a render glitch. See pic.

Screenshot_Doom_20231217_223542.jpg

53 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

I use GZDoom (the latest stable) and the blood trails are there.

Oh, maybe it’s because I use “cl_maxdecals 0”, I’ll try again tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

No cheating at all. I teleported to sector 2284 from line 9203. When the player takes the "ladder/steps" - sector 2924 etc. player sees the texture, giving the player the impression that getting to sector 2722 cannot be done, but when at sector 2722 and looking up at said "ladder/stairs", the texture is logically not seen.

"Giving the player the impression that getting to sector 2722 cannot be done" was the original intention to hide the secret passage, while the other case is giving a small hint to the player "You can still climb up to the teleporter, if you failed to proceed the secret passage. You don't have to kill yourself by jumping down to the ocean to restart the level."

17 minutes ago, antares031 said:

"Giving the player the impression that getting to sector 2722 cannot be done" was the original intention to hide the secret passage, while the other case is giving a small hint to the player "You can still climb up to the teleporter, if you failed to proceed the secret passage. You don't have to kill yourself by jumping down to the ocean to restart the level."

Strange ... but ok.

@Dragonfly I would like to request once more that the decohack source is included in a future release or made available as a separate download. I ask this specifically for the wiki article (to cover all the custom content) but also in general for reference and analysis. Keep in mind that with DECOHack-generated patches we cannot simply export the DeHackEd patch from the WAD and load it in WhackEd. While it can all be done the hard way by working through the DeHackEd patch itself, the only sane way to make sense of the inner workings of a wad as complex as this one is by looking at the source file itself.

28 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

This isn't working on GZDoom. Just an error message about invalid parameter. 

What version of GZDoom are you using? I believe you need version 4.11.3 at least.

7 hours ago, Lord Belial said:
Spoiler

The penetrator is super fun to use but feels a little OP. Yes, it's great that you have to earn it in secret levels, but I felt slightly cheap using it. Especially against the final boss. This will be a non-issue during a pistol start playthrough.

In the current release there's a glitch in GZDoom that...

Spoiler

makes The Perforator do x1-3 more damage per shot than it should do, so actually yep it is OP!

The fix will be included in the next RC.

So this is back on RC1, since I was partially through the episode before I noticed RC2 was out, but on Map 14, is the blur sphere supposed to be tagged a secret?  I finished with 4/5, I didn't see anything else that looked like it could have been the missing secret, and the effort involved to get it certainly felt secret-ish.

Also, Map 33...so glad this game doesn't have a lives system.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, Aurelius said:

Dedicated to all fellow MAP33 enjoyers. Best experienced by playing yourself first, so obviously if you haven't played it yet, don't click the spoiler (and go play it!)

Reveal hidden contents

Well, that happened a lot quicker than I figured! The first time you nailed it must have been thoroughly satisfying...

Anyway, I just reached MAP19. Chapter IV as a whole exudes an almost Lovecraftian quiet uncanniness that marks it as probably my favorite so far, even in the first three were all amazing in their on thing. Side note, "Freya" is probably the most breathtakingly beautiful level I'v ever seen in...well, anything.

1 hour ago, faceplant641 said:

So this is back on RC1, since I was partially through the episode before I noticed RC2 was out, but on Map 14, is the blur sphere supposed to be tagged a secret?  I finished with 4/5, I didn't see anything else that looked like it could have been the missing secret, and the effort involved to get it certainly felt secret-ish.

It's best to consider this as an unmarked secret, if I understand Aurelius' intentions.

---

5 hours ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

This isn't working on GZDoom. Just an error message about invalid parameter. 

7 hours ago, Goldar said:

Oh, well, crap.

Both the website and text file do their best to clearly state that an up to date copy of GZDoom or DSDA-Doom is needed. ;)

---

14 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Start the map, drop down into the circular area ... then what ?

Then you can grab the gear and press the button? 😅

---

8 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

MAP03 doesn't have the blood trails close to/around the body at the beginning in GZDoom

This will be the case in just about every other WAD you've played including the IWADs too, as GZDoom's hardware settings typically don't render the portions of a sprite that would clip into the floorhowever some actors such as the aforementioned blood sprites have offsets that push them into the floor to make them look like they're actually on the floor and not floating slightly above. Not much I can do to change this really.

---

5 hours ago, Gregor said:

I would like to request once more that the decohack source is included

Sure, I believe antares has added it to the correct location so that next time I do a DoomTools build for release, it will be included.

17 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

This will be the case in just about every other WAD you've played including the IWADs too, as GZDoom's hardware settings typically don't render the portions of a sprite that would clip into the floorhowever some actors such as the aforementioned blood sprites have offsets that push them into the floor to make them look like they're actually on the floor and not floating slightly above. Not much I can do to change this really.

Thank you. Yeah, just checked without "cl_maxtrails 0" and it's still the same, again, no big deal at all, my son likes GZDoom but I play with DSDA anyway.

@TasAcri, these are the ones I mean:

Spoiler

dsdadoom00.png

gzdoom00.png

Edited by CacoKnight