Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGuy999

Opinions on Devil May Cry?

So, as seen in plenty of memes doomguy and Dante are best friends. I decided to look at the game series Devil May Cry, and it looks good. I was wondering if any of you play it or what you think of it.

It's very juvenile ina good way. My mate likes to play them so I'm nothing but an eye witness.

From what I've actually got to play in the series — DMC1, DMC2, DMC3, and DmC Reboot — they're pretty fun stylish action games with DMC2 being a BIG exception, in my opinion.

The first Devil May Cry is much more simplistic compared to the games that came after it, but I think it still really holds up well today and the influences from older arcade games really shows if you're into old-school beat 'em ups, plus I love the gothic atmosphere of this one (a given considering this was at point was going to be Resident Evil 4 before Shinji Mikami helped Hideki Kamiya spin it off to its own thing). I would definitely recommend watching Matthewmatosis's commentary video on this game after you've beaten it since he really shows what this game has to offer with high-level play and the amount of depth it has in its combat under its surface.

Devil May Cry 2 is... not fun, at all, in my opinion. Drab environments with lots of brown and dull colors, worse camera angles than the previous entry, a boring and soulless story, forgettable music, much worse combat that is stiff and floaty while trying too new many things at once, melee weapons that offer next to no incentive to use them and really feel like crap to use them, uninspired enemies, tedious and badly designed boss battles (looking at you, Infested Chopper), bad level design... it's just a mess. The only thing I can give it credit for is introducing the Bloody Palace, a mode where you can fight off various enemies and bosses to your heart's content until you drop, and Dante's cooler character design in this game, it's just a shame he became such a BORING husk of a man.

Devil Mary 3 is the redemption arc that pretty much not only right the wrongs of DMC2, it offers a really good story, better enemy variety (although with a few annoying ones), a new style system that would be expanded on in later entries, a host of unique weapons that offer their own moves and abilities, memorable bosses, awesome soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, and a very in-depth combat system. It's a shame that only the Switch version is the official way to have a Style Switcher mode that enables the ability to switch between Styles in real-time like in DMC4, otherwise there are mods that do offer that.

DmC: Devil May Cry honestly is not a horrible game as many make it out to be, speaking as someone who was initially expecting it to suck during the announcement and play the Xbox 360 demo, but after having played it on PC, I came out pleasantly surprised. That being said, I'd highly recommend the Definitive Edition version if possible, not only because it's the most feature complete version of the game that Crapcom refuse to bring to PC, but it makes a lot of welcome changes to make the combat flow much more closer to its predecessors and removes the restriction of alignment-based enemies that limited how you can deal with them. The story certainly doesn't hold a candle to the main continuity of the Devil May Cry games, but it does have some really cool and flashy visuals, morphing environments, and a decent soundtrack with some licensed music.

1 hour ago, AmethystViper said:

From what I've actually got to play in the series — DMC1, DMC2, DMC3, and DmC Reboot — they're pretty fun stylish action games with DMC2 being a BIG exception, in my opinion.

The first Devil May Cry is much more simplistic compared to the games that came after it, but I think it still really holds up well today and the influences from older arcade games really shows if you're into old-school beat 'em ups, plus I love the gothic atmosphere of this one (a given considering this was at point was going to be Resident Evil 4 before Shinji Mikami helped Hideki Kamiya spin it off to its own thing). I would definitely recommend watching Matthewmatosis's commentary video on this game after you've beaten it since he really shows what this game has to offer with high-level play and the amount of depth it has in its combat under its surface.

Devil May Cry 2 is... not fun, at all, in my opinion. Drab environments with lots of brown and dull colors, worse camera angles than the previous entry, a boring and soulless story, forgettable music, much worse combat that is stiff and floaty while trying too new many things at once, melee weapons that offer next to no incentive to use them and really feel like crap to use them, uninspired enemies, tedious and badly designed boss battles (looking at you, Infested Chopper), bad level design... it's just a mess. The only thing I can give it credit for is introducing the Bloody Palace, a mode where you can fight off various enemies and bosses to your heart's content until you drop, and Dante's cooler character design in this game, it's just a shame he became such a BORING husk of a man.

Devil Mary 3 is the redemption arc that pretty much not only right the wrongs of DMC2, it offers a really good story, better enemy variety (although with a few annoying ones), a new style system that would be expanded on in later entries, a host of unique weapons that offer their own moves and abilities, memorable bosses, awesome soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, and a very in-depth combat system. It's a shame that only the Switch version is the official way to have a Style Switcher mode that enables the ability to switch between Styles in real-time like in DMC4, otherwise there are mods that do offer that.

DmC: Devil May Cry honestly is not a horrible game as many make it out to be, speaking as someone who was initially expecting it to suck during the announcement and play the Xbox 360 demo, but after having played it on PC, I came out pleasantly surprised. That being said, I'd highly recommend the Definitive Edition version if possible, not only because it's the most feature complete version of the game that Crapcom refuse to bring to PC, but it makes a lot of welcome changes to make the combat flow much more closer to its predecessors and removes the restriction of alignment-based enemies that limited how you can deal with them. The story certainly doesn't hold a candle to the main continuity of the Devil May Cry games, but it does have some really cool and flashy visuals, morphing environments, and a decent soundtrack with some licensed music.

So far, after watching all the amazing cut scenes for dmc3 I think I want that one the most with dmc5 in second place. What are dmc4 and dmc5 like?

17 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

4>3>5>1>DmC>2

From what I've seen, 3>5>4>1>2, and I don't know much about DMC: DMC. Why is four better than 5?

On 3/16/2024 at 8:13 PM, DoomGuy999 said:

So far, after watching all the amazing cut scenes for dmc3 I think I want that one the most with dmc5 in second place. What are dmc4 and dmc5 like?

I haven't gotten a chance to play DMC4 since I only got to play a bit of the original PlayStation 3 version, and while I have DMC5 on Xbox One, I don't have my own console to be able play it since it's my older brother's system, not mine, so I can't quite form an opinion about those two and whether if I should recommend them.

Its a fun series, but im too braindead to survive on Normal difficulty in the non-2 games. Never been great at timing and reflex based stuff, but thankfully even on the easier modes, these games are a fun time. Brother got me DMC5 for christmas, but ive yet to give it a go.

DMC4SE is my favourite of the ones I HAVE played, since you get *5* characters to have fun with.

17 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Its a fun series, but im too braindead to survive on Normal difficulty in the non-2 games. Never been great at timing and reflex based stuff, but thankfully even on the easier modes, these games are a fun time. Brother got me DMC5 for christmas, but ive yet to give it a go.

DMC4SE is my favourite of the ones I HAVE played, since you get *5* characters to have fun with.

what are the 5 characters?

Nero, Dante, Vergil, Lady and Trish. The only missing character at that point was Lucia, but Capcom is never going to acknowledge that game. It needs a full-on remake at this point.

I've only played 1, 4, and 5, and finished 4 & 5. Haven't gotten to 3 yet, but it's on my backlog.

In my experience, they're fun, if difficult, hack-and-slash games. I mainly got into the franchise because of Dante, but I've to admit the other characters like Nero, V, and Lady were fun as hell to play. Never got around to playing Trish in 4, though. But I can guarantee anyone here who hasn't played the games that if they enjoy fighting monsters in various ways and/or like to think outside the box, the series is for them, since the games reward creativity.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:56 AM, Devalaous said:

This^. 4 has been my favorite since it came out. The Special Edition makes it even better, by quite a bit. It's a nice looking game too, I liked the art style more than 5. 3 is a classic too, but I always perferred 4. The environment in 3 overall is the most boring in the series besides the joke that is DMC 2 (and maybe DmC). The first DMC, these days, I wouldn't recommend to casual fans looking to get into the series. It actually fits in better when you're playing it alongside the Resident Evil games opposed to DMC.

5>3>4>DMC>1>2

I love Devil May Cry, which is a miracle as I started with 2, believe it or not, yet I had good memories of 2 (rose tinted glasses off, it's fucking shit but you can play as Trish so...). I think, if anything was to be done with it at all, it needs a from the ground re-imagining.

DMC Reboot is a perfectly fine playing game, the story and presentation sucks. DMC4 is clearly unfinished but still very solid, although playing as Vergil and doing the same maps twice blows ass however playable Trish and Lady more than makes up for it.

Not a massive fan of the first game, hasn't aged well and could really do with the remaster treatment for the gameplay at the very least.

5 is peak, nothing better.

3 is pretty good, big fan of Vergil's campaign even if you just fight red Vergil instead of Dante, the only reason it isn't better than 5 is that the version I played was limited as hell, you couldn't swap styles on the fly or have more than 4 weapons (2 guns 2 melee), therefore very limited.

I get fucked up by the first boss phantom 5-6 times and then quit for 8 months then do it again

On 3/21/2024 at 9:26 PM, yuakuru said:

1 and 3 are the only good ones

what's wrong with 2, 4 and 5?

1 minute ago, DoomGuy999 said:

what's wrong with 2, 4 and 5?

2 should go without saying, it's extremely jank because it was made by the arcade division boomers at Capcom

4 was unfinished and rushed out

and I generally just think V is lame (subjectively)

I have only played the original PS2 and I gotta say fuck almighty I need to replay the masterpieces that are 1 and 3. I have really never played much like them.

12 hours ago, DoomGuy999 said:

what's wrong with 2

Almost killed the series and everyone with a brain cell can see why it sucks in comparison to 1 and 3. Good music tho. Don't trust anyone who says they like DMC2. They're lying.

1, 3, 4, and 5 are amazing games if you're into hack n slash.

On 3/24/2024 at 5:16 PM, Firedust said:

1, 3, 4, and 5 are amazing games if you're into hack n slash.

well, as much as dmc2 has bad reviews, did it really change from hack and slash combat to something else?

On 3/26/2024 at 11:11 PM, DoomGuy999 said:

well, as much as dmc2 has bad reviews, did it really change from hack and slash combat to something else?

It has bad combat, which is not fun.

I played through DMC2 in beginning of 2019. Maybe that's the reason, why I did not finish DMC3 after that. I was a little bit burned out on the series at this point.

For me the DMC3 combat was challenging, but also fun.

I played DMC  back in the mid oughts but safe to say I lacked the skills to get far in a rental. 

It did seem really cool but imo, it was a little easier to get a grip on Bayonetta.

I never played DMC but a Doom mod called Demonsteele (very DMC-esque gameplay mod, according to some) was fun.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:11 AM, DoomGuy999 said:

The worst thing for me was that you pretty much started the game with every ability you'd ever have, all orbs were really for was items and boosting the stats of your swords and guns, so that feeling of progression was lost. On top of that, Dante, while having a really cool look this time, was almost entirely mute, and a lot of the bosses were straight up bizarre, like an evil tank or helicopter, or a villain that looked like he was a cameo from Tekken. I liked having a new playable character in Lucia, but she had a much shorter campaign, and I recall being able to beat almost everything the game by humping and throwing daggers in a spiral iirc.

The game was bad enough that the story has been ignored fully in every new release, with none of the characters returning for any reason, but it did leave some positive permanent marks on the franchise, like the Rebellion sword replacing Alastor, the Bloody Palace mode, Trish being playable and using the Sparda sword as her personal weapon..

"the nightmare before christmas oogies revenge" was based on its engine and uses a similar score-based fighting system. I learned that as a child by watching reviews on youtube of Oogies Revenge, and its the only extent to which I have ever had any meaningful contact with DMC

49 minutes ago, OliveTree said:

"the nightmare before christmas oogies revenge" was based on its engine and uses a similar score-based fighting system.

All I remember from that game is SOULROBBERSOULROBBERSOULROBBERSOULROBBERSOULROBBER, far worse than TRICKSTERSWORDMASTERROYALGUARD

17 hours ago, dasho said:

All I remember from that game is SOULROBBERSOULROBBERSOULROBBERSOULROBBERSOULROBBER, far worse than TRICKSTERSWORDMASTERROYALGUARD

EXCLAMATION MARKS COUNT