Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A2Rob

Escape From Sunveil Starport - 9'ish MBF21 Compatible Maps (RC2)

Oh wow, this looks awesome, I'll make sure to give this a run during the weekend :)

Congratulations for the release, @A2Rob!

I greatly enjoyed playing it, fantastic and beautiful mapset! (with a nice soundtrack! :D)

Posted (edited)

image.png?ex=6618627a&is=6605ed7a&hm=cac

made a custom hud, can't have enough startan babyyyyy

Edited by Ludi

1 hour ago, Ludi said:

image.png?ex=6618627a&is=6605ed7a&hm=cac

made a custom hud, can't have enough startan babyyyyy

Hey @Ludi, could you possibly link this as a wad archive or an image that is convertible to the Doom graphics format? Thanks in advance.

I think i may have gotten myself softlocked on map 5. I ran around killing a whole bunch of the spiders, picked up the red key, then started exploring and I rode a lift up and am stuck in a hallway at x:-1023 y:596 z:0. There is a door at one end that wont open, and humping or shooting everything does nothing. Ive only goy 12 kills and Im guessing I came up here too early and didnt trip something yet but here I am... stuck none the less. Playing on dsda, I can start over but figured you may want to know and check it out.

Here's a strange mix of FDAs of me running it down on HNTR across a couple different sessions.  noisy_SunveilRC1_fdas.zip

My success was quite varied.  Otherwise, solid, spicy, and scythey stuff.  The usual style I'd expect from A2Rob.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Insaneprophet said:

I think i may have gotten myself softlocked on map 5. I ran around killing a whole bunch of the spiders, picked up the red key, then started exploring and I rode a lift up and am stuck in a hallway at x:-1023 y:596 z:0. There is a door at one end that wont open, and humping or shooting everything does nothing. Ive only goy 12 kills and Im guessing I came up here too early and didnt trip something yet but here I am... stuck none the less. Playing on dsda, I can start over but figured you may want to know and check it out.

I completely forgot to tag the other side of that door, woops.

1 hour ago, DreadWanderer said:

Hey @Ludi, could you possibly link this as a wad archive or an image that is convertible to the Doom graphics format? Thanks in advance.

If you have discord I will gladly link it to you. I dont really wanna deal with doomworld's piss file sharing lmfao

I've played the first two maps and had a blast, it's excellent, from the visuals to the tight setups, as I expected from A2Rob. Although it's only RC1 I've made a commitment to make this wad my next UV max playthrough, and will of course report any issues I encounter (none so far). Here's a little vid of me UV maxing the first map:

I'll keep an eye out on this thread and move in step with the updates. Btw hearing Deadwing's music instantly brought me back to his megawad trilogy, really really pleased!

I played the first map and really liked how it ramped up from a slow-paced E1M1 reference into a rocket battle against a massed horde of revenants. That fight might make good exercise for that type of encounter. Looking forward to playing the rest soon!

Great stuff! Ran through the wad today, didn't find any issues worth reporting - or bad maps, for that matter. My favorites were Map05 and Map08.

Also...

Spoiler

I saw the Espi-shuttles in Map09 and I SMILED.

Hey @A2Rob, I have a small issue to report. In MAP09, one of the monsters (an evil marine apparently) didn't spawn in from a teleport closet, I must have skipped a linedef or something. I had a look in UDB and it seems he's supposed to teleport when you're in that fight for access to the western tower, but since I saw no way back after dropping into the final battle close to the escape ship, he's permanently out of reach. I noclipped through back to the area to see if he's gonna come, and he did the second time around. Screenshots attached with the closet in question.

doom07.png

doom08.png

Posted (edited)

Absolutely masterpiece work, after your previous megawads I wasn't expecting any other level of elaboration. Exemplary sample of mapping. I don't know how you manage to pull them out so successfully.

But there are a couple of small joints that I found.

This battle can be a bit stifling, due to the large amount of hitscan on all sides and the lack of hp.

Spoiler

etrn142.png

I got pinned down by 2 archviles in this fight, which made it come down to a long shotgun firing off archviles from that position.

Spoiler

etrn122.png

And a number of errors in texturing, I think by screenshots you will understand where it is:

Spoiler

etrn119.png
etrn120.png
etrn123.png
etrn125.png
etrn126.pngetrn127.png
etrn128.png
etrn129.png
etrn130.png

And I have a feeling you forgot to change the textures here:

Spoiler

etrn131.png
etrn132.png
etrn133.png

Other than that, it was a gorgeous few hours.

Posted (edited)

Partway through this now and it's great stuff as always. That spinning chicken nugget is a seal of quality.

Finally got around to this, and it's another solid A2Rob work. I think my favorite maps were CIA Headquarters and Cage Match, which are based around a couple of delightful setpieces. Great job.

sunveil-maribo.zip - Sleepy and ditzy UV -dsdademo playthroughs, v0.27.5. I included the WAD version that I played on just in case, because I noticed the OP was updated and I missed it, and I'm not sure if any of the minor edits would cause a desync.

3 hours ago, Maribo said:

Finally got around to this, and it's another solid A2Rob work. I think my favorite maps were CIA Headquarters and Cage Match, which are based around a couple of delightful setpieces. Great job.

sunveil-maribo.zip - Sleepy and ditzy UV -dsdademo playthroughs, v0.27.5. I included the WAD version that I played on just in case, because I noticed the OP was updated and I missed it, and I'm not sure if any of the minor edits would cause a desync.

I keep getting beaten close to the finish line - my playthrough won't be up until later today. Gg.

It's finally here, my UV max playthrough of this wad. Playlist:

All in all I think it's a fantastic wad, full of both aesthetic and gameplay delights, and quite varied in pacing. The fact that I was already familiar with Rob's work helped me navigate some of the challenges. My only nitpick is with the arch-vile room in MAP09 - it's really quite brutal when you make the player face 1, then 2, then FOUR archies at the same time in quick succession and in a cramped space with only the SSG at your disposal. It's a problem compounded by the fact that there's another evil marine ambush following right after, and if you haven't found the secret megasphere you're pretty screwed. I'd really consider lowering the archie number to 6, for a smoother 1+2+3 punch. Other than that great job @A2Rob, @Deadwing, and ofc playtesters @finnks13 and @scwiba. Looking forward to the idgames release!

On 3/28/2024 at 7:48 PM, SleepyVelvet said:

Here's a strange mix of FDAs of me running it down on HNTR across a couple different sessions.  noisy_SunveilRC1_fdas.zip

My success was quite varied.  Otherwise, solid, spicy, and scythey stuff.  The usual style I'd expect from A2Rob.

14 hours ago, Maribo said:

Haven't had time to watch these yet, but thanks a lot for posting 'em. Glad you enjoyed the project.

Fantastic work! The maps looked great and the fights were challenging but never felt unfair (maybe except for map09 but I think I just need to get good). I did notice one texturing issue with the sky in parts of map 3 though, was there on both hardware and software rendering. Didn't take away from my enjoyment at all though!

Spoiler

image.png.424d67fbd812104de1812a4365fc226d.png

RC2 now available.

Includes some minor fixes to visuals and monster placements. I'd like to thank everyone who provided feedback and demos.

Coop has been implemented. I combed through every map to ensure they were coop friendly, but I won't really know for sure until a few people do a coop session and get soft-locked.

Idgames release at some point.

This was a violent and beautiful rendition of KDITD. When I started the first map, I thought it was very cute, but then I pressed THAT switch for a very quick reality check. In hindsight, this may be your toughest mapset yet. Also, the first encounter in map 9 made me jump out of my chair ahaha.

Great stuff as usual, a2rob, I absolutely adore your area 51 visuals style! Here's to more misadventures in securityguy-verse!