Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinkyfriend

Which game is by far most overrated?

Which one of these overrated games do you find most overrated?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these overrated games do you find most overrated?

• Quake 2
    • Halflife
    • Halflife 2
    • Halo
    • Halo 2
    • GTA 3
    • GTA - Vice City
    • GTA - San Andreas
    • Doom 3
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • other
    • Serious Sam 2
    • Counterstrike

caco_killer said:
I played through the whole game, and saw nothing great or innovative at all.

ahem:
Awesome ai, the bad guys took cover ran from grenades, talked to eachother, acted like they wanted to live. Monsters has different ways of tracking you (remember blast fernus?). the story unfolded right before your eyes as you where playing the game entirely from 1st person, entirely in real time (no 'missions'), and that really worked in the atmospheres favor (watching the place fall to bits and getting screwed over but the government right in front of you).

there are some things that are a matter of taste when it comes to games like half-life, but it WAS innovative.

DarkJedi188 said:
I gave up because I couldn't figure out how to defeat those giant, green, tentacle-resembling mutant plants that grew out of the floor in this one lab area.
So basically I also played it half-way through and got tired when I ran out of ideas on how to kill those weird things.

I really hope you joking.

man i loved half life so bad

to each his own i guess, but it truly was in my eyes one of the most innovative and (for the lack of a better word) fulfilling games ive ever played

Fredrik said:

Apparently Half-Life is the best PC game ever made but I gave up about half way through due to boredom.

Argh you stole my post.

OK, remember how the guard tells you to "Be Quite! that thing HEARS us" and see how there are a bunch of grenades near him? WALK (don't run) into the blast chamber and throw a grenade somewhere you don't intend to walk. when it explodes, the tenticals will "peck" the place it exploded giving you time to sneak to one of the other doors. the idea is to be quite basically.

My definition of overhyped is a game that is unworthy of praise or hype that it is given. In other words, it is often cited as being the best of a genre when it isn't. Take Halo for instance, which is the game I voted for. I actually own the PC version, and although the game is very fun and unique in its own way, it is definitely not the best FPS game ever. The original Marathon trilogy beats Halo in every respect, except maybe graphics, depending on your opinion.

WWII shooters are another subgenre that is often very overhyped. Whenever the latest WWII game comes out, it almost always garners praise and adulation, despite the fact that in many instances it brings nothing new to the table over the previous generation of WWII games and is only a minor graphical upgrade in many cases *cough*CallofDuty2*cough*. In any other genre, if a game is not percieved to be "innovative", it is often hacked down to bits.

The Half-Life series was my second choice for overhyped game. Although I loved the first game, and it was very innovative and unique in 1998, it has raped the FPS genre. Every game and its dog now has to be "cinematic" or "realistic", to the point where gameplay is often underdeveloped and/or highly scripted. Half-Life might have been unique in 1998, but it is now 2005 and I'm ready for the FPS genre to move on.

Don't even get me started on the train wreck of a sequal that is Half-Life 2. Overhyped to death, promised features and enhancements that don't even exist in the final game that were promised to advance the genre, the whole release date and "hacker" fiasco, Steam, and the legions of press and magazines lined up to suck Valve's mammoth cock after all of that which resulted in 90+% reviews and claims of it being the best and most innovative game ever. What was once a great game has turned into a franchise devoid of soul and a sequal that is nothing like its predecessor and has lost the original vibe, not to mention raped everything that was so great in the first game. It is the very definition of overhyped in my eyes. It is nothing more than a substandard game which floats on its epic level of hype and press.

I only voted for Halo because it was the first game to start the new era of FPS games, ones that are shallow and devoid of soul, and are only machines to reap profits.

I voted halo2, I played it at my friends house and its just mediocre, halo 1 is kinda cool but I like fast paced shooters so I didnt play it that much.

Doom3 isnt really overrated and it is a good game, just cause it doesnt have mindless arcade action like doom2 doesnt mean its bad.

Ftw why is quake 2 on there?

Vile said:

This should be fun...

Final Fantasy VII.

Actually, I agree with you. Sort of. To extend that, all Final Fantasies after 6.

Halo and Half-life some second to those; they at least fulfill their purpose; the genuinely what they claim to be; Final Fantasy's VII - on are all merely interactive storybooks with flashy graphics and poor RPG mechanics; although X at least made an effort to break the mould.

pilottobombadier said:

Actually, I agree with you. Sort of. To extend that, all Final Fantasies after 6.

I actually liked FFVII. Anything after that...well, it's blasphemy. The FF series got totally ass-raped after 7, IMO. All of the older games are great, though.

Captain Red said:

OK, remember how the guard tells you to "Be Quite! that thing HEARS us" and see how there are a bunch of grenades near him? WALK (don't run) into the blast chamber and throw a grenade somewhere you don't intend to walk.

I found it sufficient to crouch and walk - no need for grenades to distract it then.

I presume DarkJedi188's problem wasn't so much getting killed by the tentacles, as failing to find the way to kill them in the blast pit. It must be said that the procedure to enable the rocket to fire was quite complex, though personally I found it the best and most memorable part of the whole game - and perhaps any game.

DarkJedi188: If you want the details, then there are some good walkthroughs available online.

-_DLD_- said:

I actually liked FFVII. Anything after that...well, it's blasphemy. The FF series got totally ass-raped after 7, IMO. All of the older games are great, though.

You hear about FF 5 coming to the GBA? I had the ROM, but I stopped playing them because...it's not the same.

I've played FF5 for PS a looooong time ago. I never got around to beating it (got stuck), but I was really young then.

If I had a lot of time and a burning desire to play old FF games, I'd probably play it. I just found building up all those jobs a tad tedious.

It seems like if a game that comes out and is really awesome the sequel more than likely wont be as good or wont even be good at all.

I voted Halo 2; it got more love than it should have, considering how much those lazy Bungie tools left out of it.

But I really have to deem the Madden series as the games to be the most overhyped by a damning mass of non-gamer dicks.

I was going to include Final Fantasy 7 but since I don't actually know that much of it plus I would probably end up ripped like never before. I just didn't include it, And I must say if it was not for that Halflife 1 being one of the ever most hyped game (cause of counterstrike and some other mods) Halflife 2 would have made my vote. Halflife 2 has nothing about what people are claiming it does.

The graphics in a whole is pleasant enough, but it has some very stupid annoyances, such as it using sprites as plants etc. Plus the fact that lights sucks, and I kind of think the bumpmapping is rather poor.
It feels more like an older 2002 engine pumped with a little more effects.
Plus the game is so boring, the fact that you can go almost everywhere and then forget where to actually go. And that Helicopters can take way too much damage.. The whole story feels like BOOORING , NEXT!
Then to add up to the greatness, we get STEAM!
Let say you want to have an own folder for each game you buy from Valve, let say you don't want to have an account to have to play the games. Let say you don't have a connection and can't go to anyone who does... let say YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR GAME REG KEYCODE REGISTERED WITHIN YOUR ACCOUNT so that if you forget your username plus whatever email you used, as if you don't use that email anymore and have no idea how to access that email. Okay it may be stupid to forget these details, but it happens! IT HAPPENED TO ME!, lucky it was only an older copy of Halflife... But the fact is, when it happens; it renders your copy of the game useless, doesnt matter if you hold it in your hands, no matter how good the box looks or not... it's useless, don't even try to think you can use it anymore, don't even try to think you will get a new keycode... Aww so nice you are Valve for tricking your customers. This smells 1984.

Lord FlatHead said:

Doom 3.

How is Doom 3 overrated? Everyone hates it.

It's a tough choice between Halo and Half-Life1/2 for me.

Doom 3 is overrated by games magazines. But so are most other modern games.

When it comes to plain game content nothing beats Quake 3 though. They released a technical engine demo disguised as a full priced game and many, many people even accepted that rip-off.

Graf Zahl said:

When it comes to plain game content nothing beats Quake 3 though. They released a technical engine demo disguised as a full priced game and many, many people even accepted that rip-off.

Strange, I don't know how a "tech-demo" became one of the best most balanced cyber-deathmatch-whatever competition game today. Perhaps you're thinking of UT?

Both UT and Quake 3 are great on thier own merits but should not have been priced as much as a full game as they are both only halves... If there's no good sp or none at all then a game shall not be considered a full game.

Kinkyfriend said:

Then to add up to the greatness, we get STEAM!
Let say you want to have an own folder for each game you buy from Valve, let say you don't want to have an account to have to play the games. Let say you don't have a connection and can't go to anyone who does... let say YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR GAME REG KEYCODE REGISTERED WITHIN YOUR ACCOUNT so that if you forget your username plus whatever email you used, as if you don't use that email anymore and have no idea how to access that email. Okay it may be stupid to forget these details, but it happens! IT HAPPENED TO ME!, lucky it was only an older copy of Halflife... But the fact is, when it happens; it renders your copy of the game useless, doesnt matter if you hold it in your hands, no matter how good the box looks or not... it's useless, don't even try to think you can use it anymore, don't even try to think you will get a new keycode... Aww so nice you are Valve for tricking your customers. This smells 1984.

Heh, I apologise but I'm going to have to stick up for Steam now. For a start, you can't really blame Steam for you forgetting your password/email. It's your fault, you should've made a note of it somewhere if you were likely to forget. Would you want someone who didn't have a clue what your password or email was to be able to get into your account? I don't think so. Valve are just trying to be secure.

Up until a few days ago, yeah I didn't have any problems with Steam, but I didn't see much point in it. Until I found that I'd left my Half Life 2 CD at University; I was pissed. But then I remembered you could download stuff through Steam. Now, granted, I do have a 10mbps connection, but Steam wasn't even using half of that and it downloaded all of my games in about 10 hours, no hassle, no CDs, no CD-keys. So, even if your CDs are lost/scratched to hell, you can still play your games.

i'd have to say goldeneye and every other damned console FPS attempt until halo came along. at which point they finally got the controls right and my PC (mouse+keyboard) fps gaming background allowed me to play the game rewardingly.

i expect this is why console fanboys think that halo rocks so much and that all pc fps games are a rip off of it, because the controls are finally right they can suddenly play properly (i.e strafe!) and it's opened up a whole new world that, by no fault of their own, they hadnt been able to fully join. the rest of us had quake's +mlook and strafing a decade ago. it's a bit like spending a decade using a handled tool to slowly chomp the tops off of canned food and then along comes someone with your average tin opener.

anyway, i actually LIKE halo and halo 2, the latter had none of the wide open spaces of the original and you seem to spend a lot of the game on transports, in lifts, zooming across laser-bridges etc. the begining of halo 1 reminded me very much of half life (nothing happens for half an hour, you dont get a gun for ages, and it's a handgun too)

as for half-life 2 i dont think it qualifies as "overrated" as until a year before it came out no one knew it existed, and that would only have been months had the source code leak not happened. they were really trying to not-hype it, just dump it on us unsuspectingly. havent played it yet though as my gfx is a shitty onboard chip and i'm too poor to upgrade, alas!

zarkyb said:

Heh, I apologise but I'm going to have to stick up for Steam now. For a start, you can't really blame Steam for you forgetting your password/email. It's your fault, you should've made a note of it somewhere if you were likely to forget. Would you want someone who didn't have a clue what your password or email was to be able to get into your account? I don't think so. Valve are just trying to be secure.

Security in all honour, and that I have myself to blame that I lost my details. But IT IS NOT ME TO BLAME that they integrate cd keys with accounts and that it's a must to play the actual games. That is a 1984 behaviour and should lead to prosecution and in the end to punish Valve for a deed that should be considered totally illegal. If you have the option to select "integration" then it's fair. But you don't, and this is not same thing as losing a cd key by having lost the papers.

zarkyb said:

Up until a few days ago, yeah I didn't have any problems with Steam, but I didn't see much point in it. Until I found that I'd left my Half Life 2 CD at University; I was pissed. But then I remembered you could download stuff through Steam. Now, granted, I do have a 10mbps connection, but Steam wasn't even using half of that and it downloaded all of my games in about 10 hours, no hassle, no CDs, no CD-keys. So, even if your CDs are lost/scratched to hell, you can still play your games.

Just like I said before in this reply-msg, it's fair if you have the option to select integration but if you don't it should be considered as something illegal.

Bloodshedder said:

If we're talking about "overrated" games, why isn't Daikatana on this list?

"Overhyped" and "overrated" are two very different things.

gargoylol said:

Strange, I don't know how a "tech-demo" became one of the best most balanced cyber-deathmatch-whatever competition game today. Perhaps you're thinking of UT?

See, that's why it is overrated. It's a tech demo any yet many consider it a good game.

Graf Zahl said:

See, that's why it is overrated. It's a tech demo any yet many consider it a good game.

If there's a complete game there, it's as much a game as a tech demo. But yes, Quake 3 sucks. UT is much, much better.

POTGIESSER said:

-_DLD_- FF7 I'm guilty of having loved playing the game.

Me too. If I wasn't clear as to what I was trying to say in my above posts, it was that the FF series went to hell after FF7. FF8 was so awful I got bored on disk 3 and never beat it. And I'm a perfectionist.