Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD (original project thread archived from 2008)

Heh.

Unless it looks like this, I'm going to say no.

http://sl4.startan3.com/screens/kdikdizd/new/new3/hyperdetail.png
http://sl4.startan3.com/screens/kdikdizd/new/new3/howdoesthisnotvpo.png
http://sl4.startan3.com/screens/kdikdizd/new/new3/zomgcolor.png (this room will be getting some visual improvement, but in the meantime, hey look. colors.)
http://sl4.startan3.com/screens/kdikdizd/Clipboard05.png (old shot, but it hasn't changed much)

(not embedding images since they're huge and i'm too lazy to resize them)

Essel, it looks like the Community wants more. I'll give them more with this teaser about the Features of KDIKDIZD.

Texture-Mapped Environment

KDIKDIZD offers the most realistic environment to date for Doom. Texture-mapping, the process of rendering fully-drawn art and scanned textures on the walls, floors, and ceilings of an environment, makes the world much more real, thus bringing the player more into the game experience. Others have attempted this, but KDIKDIZD's texture mapping is fast, accurate, and seamless. With these new advanced graphic development techniques, the KDIKDIZD team is allowing game art to be generated much faster, bringing new meaning to "state-of-the-art".

Light Diminishing/Light Sourcing

Another touch adding realism is light diminishing. With distance, your surroundings become enshrouded in darkness. This makes areas seem huge and intensifies the experience. This also creates some amazing effects; sometimes the lights go out, and you'll have to look for a light switch or light amplification visors. Light sourcing allows lamps and lights to illuminate hallways, explosions to light up areas, and strobe lights to briefly reveal things near them. These features make KDIKDIZD frighteningly real.

Variable Height Floors and Ceilings

In KDIKDIZD, the world reacts to you. Many surfaces animate and mutate. A glowing wall-plate may change in appearance when you touch it. Radioactive ooze could seethe and bubble. Ceilings can fall and crush you, making you cry blood. Bridges loom over you, waiting to be crossed. Ledges await your footprints.

Multiple Players

Up to four players can play over a local network or Internet. Chocolate-Doom supports such On-line play. You can see the other player in the environment, communicate with him or her, and in certain situations you can switch to their view. This feature, added to the 3-D realism, makes KDIKDIZD a very powerful cooperative add-on. This is the first TC to really exploit the power of the Intertubes to their full potential. Expect yourself to lose your day job.

Smooth, Seamless Gameplay.

The environment in KDIKDIZD is frightening, but the player can be at ease when playing. Much effort has been spent on the gameplay end to provide the smoothest control on the user end. And the frame is high, so you move smoothly from room to room, turning and acting as you wish, unhampered by slow jerky motion. On an Apple Macintosh LCIII, the game runs well, and on an IBM PC300GL, the normal mode frame rate is almost as fast as television. This allows for the most important and enjoyable aspect of gameplay: immersion.

New Monsters and Artificial Intelligence

KDIKDIZD isn't made up of a bunch of rooms; it's a cohesive world. You might blast your rifle and the sound could travel through a window or slime-river tunnel to another entirely different area and alert some monsters. Then, they'll come looking for you! Opening doors, going down stairs, wading through slime, using teleports, etc. You are still able to get the drop on them from behind like a spy -- but you have to be sneakier about it.

SOUNDS GREAT HUH?

You just wait. it's gonna be even better than that!

esselfortium said:

It's true, it's all true! Except the lightsourcing, I think Production IG made that up. :|

well we have them working with lens flares, but the bill doesn't look too good.. :s

Is this even a real project or just something to fuel boredom that's "worth" discussing over? And, I dunno. I liked KDIZD. I get the feeling this is made on purpose to bash it or something?

Chu said:

Is this even a real project or just something to fuel boredom that's "worth" discussing over? And, I dunno. I liked KDIZD. I get the feeling this is made on purpose to bash it or something?

Is this project real? Am I real? Who made me? Why are you doing this?

Let's see here...

Mancubus II said on page 3:
Yes this thread is serious. The project exists and is serious. Let's stop asking that question because IT IS REAL KTHXBYE.

esselfortium said on page 1:
And this isn't a joke. I've put a lot of time into it, and I guarantee you that it's very much real.

Okay, now that that's settled!

KDiKDiZD is a completely serious project, and has received support and encouragement from several members of the original KDiZD team (particularly Risen and NiGHTMARE) in the thread made for it on zdoom.org.

esselfortium said:

Coming March 2005

Other than the overall idea, I think this makes it sound like a joke thread.

Csonicgo said:

The brisk Phobos winds surround you, blowing against your ears.

How long has Phobos had an atmosphere?

Vegeta said:

Other than the overall idea, I think this makes it sound like a joke thread.

Ah, thank you. The date has been corrected for better accuracy :)

So KDiKDiZD comes out in 1987? I'll bet those id guys won't even give you credit when they come up with KDiTD in 1993...

This gave me an idea for a boss with multiple attack in vanilla DOOM. The only problem is that it needs to be placed in a room where he only see the player or he'll look odd.

Remove the "attack frame" from dehacked, then edit it's walking frame so it loops certain times on the walking frames, then the looping does a tour from some attack animation, the tour then continue with more walking (enough to make it look natural), a new attack, more walking.. and so on, doing a cycle. Of course this would be very predictable, but could work (should require a shitload of precious codepointers though, nothing serious if you sacrifice the archvile and/or ss dude in the process).

Another way could be to just do a cycle on the attack frame, so it cycle in different attacks (no walking in the middle), but that should not be the same (it'd work as the Ophidians from Heretic).

There could be, like, 5 attack sequences: melee, missile, on walk (by using CPosRefire so it doesn't fire when out-of-sight at equal timers), after pain and on death.

esselfortium said:

KDiKDiZD is a completely serious project, and has received support and encouragement from several members of the original KDiZD team (particularly Risen and NiGHTMARE) in the thread made for it on zdoom.org.

Count me in as well :) I really like what I see so far, it looks promising :)

Vegeta said:

This gave me an idea for a boss with multiple attack in vanilla DOOM. The only problem is that it needs to be placed in a room where he only see the player or he'll look odd.

Remove the "attack frame" from dehacked, then edit it's walking frame so it loops certain times on the walking frames, then the looping does a tour from some attack animation, the tour then continue with more walking (enough to make it look natural), a new attack, more walking.. and so on, doing a cycle. Of course this would be very predictable, but could work (should require a shitload of precious codepointers though, nothing serious if you sacrifice the archvile and/or ss dude in the process).

Another way could be to just do a cycle on the attack frame, so it cycle in different attacks (no walking in the middle), but that should not be the same (it'd work as the Ophidians from Heretic).

This is sort of similar to what I did for the Hell Warrior and Bruiser Demon for KDiKDiZD. The Bruiser Demon, for example...his attack state does his first attack, then goes through his full walking animation again, then does his second attack, goes through his full walking animation again, does his third attack, then walks again. Plus their melee scratch attacks. The Hell Warrior and Bruiser Demon each used up nearly 3 monsters' worth of dehacked frames.

In other news, z1m1 is 99% built. There's some minor texturing stuff that needs to be done, and I need to finish a secret area I added. It still hasn't had monsters added yet, but the map itself is just about finished. :)

Tormentor667 said:

Count me in as well :) I really like what I see so far, it looks promising :)

Thanks! Also I promise to stop sending you silly messages when you're away if you unblock me on AIM/MSN :'(

I can confirm that this project was in fact outsourced to Unidoom. However, WE HATED IT SO ITS CANCELLED.

But seriously, I can't believe you guys are falling for this elaborate scheme. KDiKDiZD does not exist and anyone that says it does is lying to you.

I can assure you it is real. You can believe me because I am a resourceful agent for the country.

Vegeta said:

(should require a shitload of precious codepointers though, nothing serious if you sacrifice the archvile and/or ss dude in the process).

How I delight in seeing these issues brought up once again, even 14 years later. Vanilla Doom back to power, thanks to K D i K D i Z D. Maybe this will raise a new standard, by which people should map for vanilla Doom and respect the Visplanes, max map size and capped Dehacked usage, so as no monster excesses.

Good luck with all six keys at once, however. Perhaps it will act like this:

• the "Activate this object" texts will be replaced with corresponding new key "Open this door";
  • you'll study map progression and make it so the player can't find the blue door when they have the silver key, for example;
  • you'll reposition some keys so they're always taken, two-by-two, in the same order, so the graphics will look properly: one key over another.
You've got a better plan?

printz said:

How I delight in seeing these issues brought up once again, even 14 years later. Vanilla Doom back to power, thanks to K D i K D i Z D. Maybe this will raise a new standard, by which people should map for vanilla Doom and respect the Visplanes, max map size and capped Dehacked usage, so as no monster excesses.

Good luck with all six keys at once, however. Perhaps it will act like this:

• the "Activate this object" texts will be replaced with corresponding new key "Open this door";
  • you'll study map progression and make it so the player can't find the blue door when they have the silver key, for example;
  • you'll reposition some keys so they're always taken, two-by-two, in the same order, so the graphics will look properly: one key over another.
You've got a better plan?

Yes. Invisible use-blocking forcefields in front of locked doors, which are lowered when you walk over the key. There won't be any messages, but it should be easy to figure out from the big colored bars on the sides of the door :p

If you're gonna sit here and claim this is a serious project than maybe you should stop giving it unrealistic date times and jee I dunno....be serious when you speak maybe? Just a suggestion Essel.

Bloodskull said:

If you're gonna sit here and claim this is a serious project than maybe you should stop giving it unrealistic date times and jee I dunno....be serious when you speak maybe? Just a suggestion Essel.

Why? Just because it's a serious project doesn't mean it can't poke fun at some of the hype surrounding the original KDiZD. No one is attacking KDiZD here, and it is clear to those who read the thread that the project is serious, so I don't see why we can't have fun with it.