Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Reverie - A New Vanilla Doom II Megawad (Final Idgames Link!)

valkiriforce said:

32 maps completed. Just balancing things out for MAP25 at the moment.

You're like some mapping machine. Looking forward to this. (and playing Doom Core.)

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here was any good at making graphics like this:

I have an idea for an ending graphic but I don't want to spoil it. So if anyone can do this kind of stuff please let me know.

I've gotta say, although Doom Core wasn't completely my cuppa tea, this *******ely is! The gameplay video looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it. Also, I can make those kind of INTERPICS, or at least I'll have a go for you, I'll keep it quiet whatever your idea is

phobosdeimos1 said:

I've gotta say, although Doom Core wasn't completely my cuppa tea, this *******ely is! The gameplay video looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it. Also, I can make those kind of INTERPICS, or at least I'll have a go for you, I'll keep it quiet whatever your idea is

OK, cool. I'll send you a PM.

Since this is now public here is my report for map 25 ...

1. Having line 406 flagged "block monster" made it too easy to kill the monsters when the player is positioned at sector 18's side, especially the LS's and PE's, in conjunction with infighting with the SM.

2. Wrong texture on the lower of line 444.

3. Lines 2737, 2753, 2764 and 2748 could be flagged "secret" and their respective lines behind flagged "hidden" for surprise value.

4. Lines 1659, 1654 etc. would look better IMO if given the lower texture STEP6 to match the lower of lines 1709, 1699 etc.

5. Lowers of lines 132, 131, 121 and 120 would look better with the texture METSPAN IMO.

6. IMPORTANT - Sector 342 is impossible to get to in vanilla as it is 32 map units higher than sector 378 ( unless I'm missing something ) .

7. Line 742 needs an X offset of 13 and Y offset of 0.

8. Line 733 needs an X offset of 115 and Y offset of 0.

GENERAL ...

Maps 8 and 15 have a save game buffer overrun problem in Vanilla, and should be mentioned in the text file under Known Bugs.

.... great job valkiriforce !

PS the rest of the maps are excellent too ! :)

This is amazing! It's the best megawad I've ever played by far, and it's quite the challenge as well. I'm loving it, MAP06 so far. MAP05 (I think) gave me a bit of trouble since I got hit a lot and I was running round on 15% health. I'm not complaining about being on 15% health most of the time either, really adds to the gameplay. Well done!

Being public now, I'm going to just briefly share that I tested about 3/4 of this thing and it's absolutely awesome IMO. It's truely one of the "must play" list.

In fact I already nominated it for a cacoward, and I think it will be a huge shame if it doesn't get one! - for me it's so good I'd say it's practically on the 2011 list even before the final list is made. We shall see, but if this doesn't deserve a caco, I don't see what else from this year would either.

Well, waiting is worth. That's an epic stuff!

MAP04 was quite difficult and hard, but I was able to finish =)

I'm starting to think this is seriously challenging Scythe 2 for the best one-man mega ever. :)

I doubt it'll beat it, because that's nearly impossible, but I think a tie is easily on the table.

This captures the very essence of what made Doom so great even before the days of source ports.

On MAP08, there's a teleport system where I can see 4 color squares at the ground. When I go to these squares, their colours are changed and I'm in another room.

What should I do here to continue my way? I'm lost.

Katamori said:

On MAP08, there's a teleport system where I can see 4 color squares at the ground. When I go to these squares, their colours are changed and I'm in another room.

What should I do here to continue my way? I'm lost.

Spoiler

It has something to do with the order of color of platforms you walked on to get the key...

MegaDoomer said:

Spoiler

It has something to do with the order of color of platforms you walked on to get the key...

I did it, but I had to use cheats... this place was impossible and truly evil...

Katamori said:

I did it, but I had to use cheats... this place was impossible and truly evil...

How'd you have to use cheats? (Was it monster toughness or you couldn't solve the puzzle?) If you still couldn't figure out the solution, read below:

MODERATE SPOILER:

Spoiler

You need to know what color platforms you jumped over and in what order to get the key, and experiment (left to right) with the teleporters...

EXTREME SPOILER:
WARNING! PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE GIVEN UP ENTIRELY! - Here is (essentially) the exact solution:
Spoiler

When you are in the polygon-shaped area with the key, you have to, in the center, touch a blue platform that allows access to a yellow platform. You must then touch that yellow platform, and it allows access to a red platform, which when touched, opens access to a fourth platform, this one blue, that you must touch to finally get access to the key. Note the order in which you ran over the platforms - first a blue one, then a yellow one, then a red one, then another blue one. Note that this is four platforms you ran across total and each of the rooms in the puzzle have four teleporters. When you take each teleporter, it teleports you to a mirror image of the teleporter room, except the color of that teleporter cycles (yellow, red, blue, yellow, red, blue, yellow, red, blue...). And the puzzle solves from left to right...

I already finished, so you might delete that long spoiler. I couldn't solved the puzzle and I used NOCLIP. This is it.

I'll be bbetter next time.

Katamori said:

I already finished, so you might delete that long spoiler. I couldn't solved the puzzle and I used NOCLIP. This is it.

I'll be bbetter next time.

Unless you don't have a savegame, how about go back and try to solve it?

Actually, even if you don't have a savegame, just noclip back to the entry room to the puzzle (where all four teleports are yellow) and give it a try...it's mighty impressive and it would be a terrible shame if you miss out on doing it for real!

Unless requested otherwise, I'd like to leave the spoiler up; I've clearly warned that it is essentially a walkthrough.

A vanilla friendly mod, huh? That's awesome! With all the source port WADs out there it is kind of refreshing to see some straight-up, old school vanilla love. That makes me want to try to make a vanilla map again. I've been zDoom/gzDoom exclusive for 5 years now.

I've been playing through this too - it's pretty cool. :) If I have the time this week I'll get together a quick report on all the maps.

I'm up to MAP08 so far, and am also stuck at the puzzle part that Katamori mentioned. I'll figure it out eventually, though. :S

Man, I'd better get back to work on Jenesis if I'm going to compete with this. x(

here's a bunch of fda's for map02-08.

map08 is segmented, because i got stuck. it's in the textfile, but i'll mention it here, cause it's important.
- i got the teleporter puzzle, because i knew how it worked from doomcore, just saying. :) it's kinda cryptic, how about hint the solution a bit more?
- the 666 tag. :((( i didn't see the keens, they look like regular hanging bodies and they made no sound when i killed the lost souls. i wolfenstein'd the whole room and had to succumb to editor to realize what's happening.
- just after teleporting through the yellow teleport, imps come flying through windows. it's possible to jump through those and get stuck.
- just before exit, there's a S1 switch that lowers a wall behind player's back. well, i had the bright idea to backpedal to safety and got stuck in the main area. needs repeatable action?

Jimmy91 said:

I've been playing through this too - it's pretty cool. :) If I have the time this week I'll get together a quick report on all the maps.

I'm up to MAP08 so far, and am also stuck at the puzzle part that Katamori mentioned. I'll figure it out eventually, though. :S

Man, I'd better get back to work on Jenesis if I'm going to compete with this. x(

I posted a series of spoilers above. The first is a "hint", the second is a moderate spoiler, and the third is essentially the solution.

But yes, at least on second thought, I do sort of on second though agree with dew there should be a hint. Just a small hint, but a hint nonetheless.

I numbered those colored panels recently to make it more obvious that you should remember them for the code that appears later on. Other fixes also made except the Commander Keen one as I'm not really sure how to make it more obvious without totally exposing them with light.

valkiriforce said:

I numbered those colored panels recently to make it more obvious that you should remember them for the code that appears later on. Other fixes also made except the Commander Keen one as I'm not really sure how to make it more obvious without totally exposing them with light.

Put in enough Lost Souls to assure that it is not possible to kill all of them without killing the keens.

Or maybe paint the word "KEEN" on the floor. Most likely in red, or perhaps with candles. Have it appear on the automap as well. That would be a little hint, but it can be interpreted as just a decoration so it wouldn't be a dead giveaway IMO.

Also as this is updated I'd appreciate if you post continually updated betas, including when new music is added, unless you mind. On the topic of music, I think the next map that should get the attention of a new track is Map30, as it's the only one that actually doesn't quite feel "complete" IMO with its current track.