Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

I just got in to mapping and thought I would try to make a slaughtermap. This wad reflects my 3 joys in life: punching demons in the face, blasting imps with an ssg, and pulping zombiemen with rockets. I don't play slaughtermaps much, so hopefully this isn't too easy. It took me some time to figure out the best strategies but maybe it's more obvious to someone who plays them a lot. Difficulty settings are implemented. Feedback appreciated.

With Fist In Hand (needs q1tex)

Ribbiks said:

no pressing deadline. done when done. slaughterfest2013 --> slaughterfest 3. slaughterfest 2014 --> ???

I think the time has come to stop suggesting renaming the project and just literally actually rename it. I mean, I've seen lots of people suggest it, but I don't think I've seen anyone disagree...?

What say we:

• Rename this thread (slaughterfest 3, obvs).
  • Edit the first post to include the submissions for sf2014 (if there are any??).
  • Close the sf2014 thread and leave a message there explaining what's happened.
  • Contact whoever submitted things to sf2014 via pm to get their permission to include the maps in sf2014.
  • Come up with some clear guidelines for the deadline (or lack thereof, really) and list those in the first post of this thread. Presumably, given the way things have gone up until now, this is basically now a more Community Chest-esque project than the previous slaughterfests. i.e., we're not working to a deadline, we're trying to get as good as crop of maps as we can, with no rush and no need to include things just to fill spaces. I don't think it's a stretch to describe the project this way, but it's probably worth discussing (and/or voting on?), since approaching things this way is so unlike the slaughterfest philosophy that a lot of the older contributers (esp. ToD and ggg) are used to.
  • Start taking project resources more seriously and/or invite people to contribute graphics & music to the project (idk if anyone will agree with this point, but I think if we have the time to do this, why not do it?)
  • Get our own "Slaughterfest 3" forum
If anyone disagrees and thinks we should carry on having slaughterfests for specific years, I'd be interested in hearing why. Especially considering it's basically now too late to fill all the slots in sf2014, even if you move all the 2014 submissions for sf2013 over to sf2014. I don't think there's any real alternative to scrapping the yearly deadline idea at this point, but I could be wrong, I guess.

@kraflab: sorry to change the subject right after you posted a map. I haven't played kraflab-sf2013 yet but it's on my to-do list...

Grain of Salt said:

I think the time has come to stop suggesting renaming the project and just literally actually rename it. I mean, I've seen lots of people suggest it, but I don't think I've seen anyone disagree...?

What say we:

• Edit the first post to include the submissions for sf2014 (if there are any??).
  • Close the sf2014 thread and leave a message there explaining what's happened.
  • Contact whoever submitted things to sf2014 via pm to get their permission to include the maps in sf2014.
  • Come up with some clear guidelines for the deadline (or lack thereof, really) and list those in the first post of this thread. Presumably, given the way things have gone up until now, this is basically now a more Community Chest-esque project than the previous slaughterfests. i.e., we're not working to a deadline, we're trying to get as good as crop of maps as we can, with no rush and no need to include things just to fill spaces. I don't think it's a stretch to describe the project this way, but it's probably worth discussing (and/or voting on?), since approaching things this way is so unlike the slaughterfest philosophy that a lot of the older contributers (esp. ToD and ggg) are used to.
  • Start taking project resources more seriously and/or invite people to contribute graphics & music to the project (idk if anyone will agree with this point, but I think if we have the time to do this, why not do it?)
  • Get our own "Slaughterfest 3" forum
If anyone disagrees and thinks we should carry on having slaughterfests for specific years, I'd be interested in hearing why. Especially considering it's basically now too late to fill all the slots in sf2014, even if you move all the 2014 submissions for sf2013 over to sf2014. I don't think there's any real alternative to scrapping the yearly deadline idea at this point, but I could be wrong, I guess.

@kraflab: sorry to change the subject right after you posted a map. I haven't played kraflab-sf2013 yet but it's on my to-do list...

I would agree with the renaming but one thing that I would like to say about that is if that happens, then the file names would have to be edited and the players would have to redownload the slaughterfest wads for the most updated versions. You know what I mean?

kraflab uvmax (and also lots of failed fdas since I suck at fda):
http://speedy.sh/vmrsQ/kraflab-ggg-demos.zip
I thought it was fun/slightly puzzly to figure out a route. Takes lots of deaths to figure it out but once you do probably not that hard. And replaying after you know what to do might be kind of tedious, like you can't really skip the first horde for faster speed, and most of the player input is reptitious like circle, punch, repeat, or shoot dodge repeat.

The name order could be:
slaughterfest 2011
slaughterfest b
slaughterfest 3
slaughterfest four
slaughterfest 00000101
slaughterfest VI

gggmork said:

kraflab uvmax (and also lots of failed fdas since I suck at fda):
http://speedy.sh/vmrsQ/kraflab-ggg-demos.zip
I thought it was fun/slightly puzzly to figure out a route. Takes lots of deaths to figure it out but once you do probably not that hard. And replaying after you know what to do might be kind of tedious, like you can't really skip the first horde for faster speed, and most of the player input is reptitious like circle, punch, repeat, or shoot dodge repeat.

Thanks! I agree with your assessment that it's a bit repetitive, but I'm glad you found it a bit puzzly because that was my intent. I think I might shrink/remodel the opening room in some way so the first/second fights are shorter and more challenging. The 2 zombie fights I'm pretty happy with. The imp fight was a lot harder but I toned it down. Ideally the player has to back track and move between the outer pillars which makes the fight a lot more dangerous, but I found it difficult to balance it to where that would always happen yet still be reasonably beatable.

That's a nice map. For a new mapper I'd say you have a pretty solid grasp of slaughterish gameplay. It's definitely towards my taste in gameplay, what with the tight rein on available weapons, the regular layout and the lack of many infighting opportunities. Just a couple of things I noticed:

• The rising pillars should probably be crushing. Right now they can pin imps to the ceiling, which seems messy.
  • I like the main wall textures but I'm not sure the flats you used go that well with it.
  • The wooden platforms look a bit plain & out of place at the start. Personally I would lower them a little and put a thin visible gap around them, so you can see they extend into the ground and it becomes visually obvious they might rise at some point.
  • I agree that the first fight could use editing, but I don't think you should change the first room's layout necessarily, because it works for the rest of the duration of the map. Since it's the first fight, a better solution might just be to cut down on the demons a bit. The strength of the level is how the later fights interact (resurrection, space, cover, etc) so it wouldn't take much away if the opening was a bit easier.
  • Someone should maybe make that midi loop properly at some point.

mArt1And00m3r11339 said:
I would agree with the renaming but one thing that I would like to say about that is if that happens, then the file names would have to be edited and the players would have to redownload the slaughterfest wads for the most updated versions. You know what I mean?

Do you mean changing Slaughterfest 2011 to Slaughterfest 1 and so on? I don't think we need to bother with that. Let's just do what they did with Unreal Tournament 3.

General Rainbow Bacon said:
I'm down with this idea. Go ahead and close the 2014 thread. I think just leaving the number open ended from now on is a good idea.

I thought Ribbiks started the sf2014 thread for some reason but it was actually you, so if you want to close the thread and/or put up a message telling people what happened, it's down to you.

kraflab said:

With Fist In Hand (needs q1tex)

hihi, neat map. very concept-driven, minimalist detail, light-hearted. gives me a similar vibe as sf11-esque maps.

I managed to break the first room somehow on one of my first playthroughs, demo here: https://www.mediafire.com/?9mfxtx8u86uqjxx

Not sure what happened. but maybe it should be more obvious what triggers the imp towers?

I really don't have much else to say. the traps are a bit rapey, but as soon as you know what's going to happen it's not overly difficult to handle. Besides the map is super-short anyways, so retrying and making gradual progress is very doable on a casual playthrough. I probably died the most on the final AV swarm, but it's amazing how much they get throttled at the choke point into the main room if you focus on putting zombie corpses there. fun puzzle map, I liked it.

Oh yeah. that midi is insufferable :p I wouldn't mind it if it didn't have the fade to silence at the end. If you want I could make you an edited version of it that would loop cleanly.

Grain of Salt said:

[list]

• or alternatively, abunchofmapswithslaughterthematicnottiedtoacertainyear.wad

Grain of Salt said:

Let's just do what they did with Unreal Tournament 3.

Agreed.

Wow, a q1tex map here. I should definitely check that out shortly.

The aim of this post, though, is that, in fact, I don't have any other place for this stuff. And since I actually like it - I'm not feeling like letting it rot in the table. I remember Ribbiks disliking it, and in fact I leave everything to your judgement, guys. If you don't feel it's the thing this project needs - I'll withdraw it.

Resistance Is Crushing

http://i.imgur.com/1yHZkNY.jpg

Yeah, q1tex again (allblack texture included in the wad is basically from cc4-tex). The map is 4-hour speedmap from the latest speedmapping session held at Russian forums, inspired by you-know-which map, and the only changes made afterwards are a couple of very minor cosmetic fixes, backup linedefs added for crucial actions and roughly implemented difficulty settings (those basically involve removal of some AVs and cybs, nothing more than that, hehe).

So, once again - it's up to you to decide if it stays or not. In case of the latter I won't mind.

kraflab said:

With Fist In Hand

Okay, I'll be that guy again and say that this is bad. Gimmicky as hell, ugly-looking (why grass on the ceiling for goodness sake?), not fun since punching is the worst activity ever (okay, after chainsawing). Incorporate it aplenty if you want your map ruined.
    Meh.

uvmax and 'Fail Demo Awkwardly' for resistance:
    http://speedy.sh/MRHY9/resist-ggg-demos.zip

Kinda feels like a speedmap (uh, it is). Your previous map is better imo. Like, lots of bunches of enemies on platforms, usually that means its just time consuming to kill them since they're no real threat. And the main battle is pretty easy to infight to death harmlessly after you figure out what I did in the uvmax. Still doing it as fast as possible would likely be fun, as usual in doom.

I think the homaginess might be the only issue with it (which is just a nice word for rip-off), but since both sfs have them, it probably doesn't even matter much.

I'll just leave some notes for 11+ maps if I end up feeling like it. For 1-10 there's already a list I left a few pages back.

Oh, and also dayiu is making his own megawad for which he supposedly tweaked his sf13 submissions. I guess he doesn't care if his maps are released both in his wad and here, but I'd consider hitting him with a pm.

I don't mind homages, but with this particular map the original is pretty good so it's pretty hard to make something similar yet interesting... IMHO. Didn't like it much when I played it in the russian compilation.

Via Turtuosa was great fun. Phml pet peeve? Ha, joke's on you, playing it in GZDoom I don't fear your bumpy floors... Wait. This was about the instant floors, wasn't it? Or the invisible walls. Can't tell anymore. I complain too much. But anyway I liked it... although I feel you could put a midtexture with gothic spikes on those impassable lines, so we don't bump against nothing. Nothing says hello you're playing a video game like invisible walls, as far as I'm concerned, and it's a shame because the map has a decent atmospheric vibe going on.

Another pet peeve: in the red key room, I went through the teleporter to the top platform and got instantly murdered by the horde of revenants camping there. Kinda seemed needlessly dickish. I mean, you don't know where the teleport goes, it's located south and the TP destination is also south so you're almost guaranteed to get hit by something if not mobbed unless you already cleared most of it. I took a leap of faith, thinking maybe it'd TP me on the other side of the room like in that Cage map in Sunder... but all I got was a slap in the face. Well, several slaps in the face. :p

Loved the part with lines of lava on the floor and similar openings showing the blue key on top. The instant floors weren't that bad either, I played keyboard only and didn't run into trouble.

With Fist In Hand - liked it, but again, playing in GZDoom with weird mods esp. related to punching so I can hardly make balance comments. I liked the looks though, could use more eyecandy but I dig the texture choices.

j4rio said:

from compiled wad

On which of these 23 thread pages is the link to the current compiled wad?

I think this one from Page 20 was the most recent one Ribbiks posted. There have been a few single maps posted after that which you've no doubt seen.

Updated version at bottom of post.

Grain of Salt said:

That's a nice map. For a new mapper I'd say you have a pretty solid grasp of slaughterish gameplay. It's definitely towards my taste in gameplay, what with the tight rein on available weapons, the regular layout and the lack of many infighting opportunities.

Thanks, I'm glad you share my tastes for this kind of map.

The rising pillars should probably be crushing. Right now they can pin imps to the ceiling, which seems messy.

Done.

I like the main wall textures but I'm not sure the flats you used go that well with it.

I changed a bunch of the textures. Texture choice is...definitely not something I feel comfortable with in general, since I tend to like whatever I see. The black stone might be too high contrast now, but I like it at any rate.

The wooden platforms look a bit plain & out of place at the start. Personally I would lower them a little and put a thin visible gap around them, so you can see they extend into the ground and it becomes visually obvious they might rise at some point.

I tried this out, and I'm not sure if it's exactly what you had in mind but I think it looks alright. The fact that the outer pillars are 'flat' as far as movement is concerned is a big plus at any rate for me.

I agree that the first fight could use editing, but I don't think you should change the first room's layout necessarily, because it works for the rest of the duration of the map. Since it's the first fight, a better solution might just be to cut down on the demons a bit. The strength of the level is how the later fights interact (resurrection, space, cover, etc) so it wouldn't take much away if the opening was a bit easier.

I decided to err on the side of caution and just cut out some of the demons. The main visible difference to me is that you'll end up with more imps, which is probably a better fight (seems so to me anyway).

Someone should maybe make that midi loop properly at some point.

I actually didn't realize the midi had a looping problem, most likely because my sound effect volume is high, but at any rate I swapped it out for another one.

Ribbiks said:

hihi, neat map. very concept-driven, minimalist detail, light-hearted. gives me a similar vibe as sf11-esque maps.

Thanks!

I managed to break the first room somehow on one of my first playthroughs, demo here: https://www.mediafire.com/?9mfxtx8u86uqjxx

Not sure what happened. but maybe it should be more obvious what triggers the imp towers?

Ah, I guess I didn't think this through at the time, but walking into the medkit corners causes the opposite corner's imp tower to lower. I made the imp tower texture distinct and added pillars that also lower into the medkit corners so hopefully that makes it more obvious.

it's amazing how much they get throttled at the choke point into the main room if you focus on putting zombie corpses there.

Ya I think this is a cool (although not necessarily required) element to the map :)

Oh yeah. that midi is insufferable :p I wouldn't mind it if it didn't have the fade to silence at the end. If you want I could make you an edited version of it that would loop cleanly.

If that's easy for you to do, then I would be happy to have it. The choice of midi isn't a huge deal to me (mostly just wanted something to be in there that wasn't vanilla), so don't worry about it if you have better things to do. There's a new one included in the new version for now at any rate.

Demonologist said:

Okay, I'll be that guy again and say that this is bad. Gimmicky as hell, ugly-looking (why grass on the ceiling for goodness sake?), not fun since punching is the worst activity ever (okay, after chainsawing). Incorporate it aplenty if you want your map ruined.
    Meh.

Can't really do much about this since punching is one of my favorite doom activities :P Give me a berserk pack over a shotgun any day. There's a bit less punching now and I replaced the ceiling grass (which looks like moss/rock to me), just for you.

Updated version:
    With Fist In Hand v2 (needs q1tex)

@ gggmork: Thanks for the demos. Of course the previous one is better, it's 3 weeks vs 4 hours, haha! Superfast is the way to go indeed, I believe taking this map slowly would result in progressive boredom. I had mad rushing in mind when I was making it.

@ j4rio: Well... Ripoff it is. I like Resistance Is Futile and its remakes, so when that speedmapping session emerged, I thought, hell, why not to make something in similar vein, myself? This thought was amplified greatly by the fact that I had just finished replaying both HRs before the event.

@ Phml: Hehe, while I like RiF - I still think it's not very fun unless you play it like mad. Same with this map, or at least so I thought. Well, okay, YMMV.
    Regarding VT - the pet peeve in question was insta-popping monsters. There are no gothic bars in q1tex, sorry, so invisible walls are invisible walls. I tried to alleviate the thing with the means available, but eh... RK room teleporter was sort of inspired by c-shock m04 where you had the same setup with key on pedestal choke-full of revs, and you had to teleport in there as well. The very fight itself was inspired by Sunder m07 in case you care. Thanks for the feedback!

@ kraflab: Don't get me wrong, but punching hordes is boring as fuck, this is one of those things that reduce slaughtermap's pace to a crawl. Punching a group of enemies is fine, but when they're hordes and you're supposed to greet them with fisting... Ugh.

On a side note...

j4rio said:

I guess he doesn't care if his maps are released both in his wad and here

That's not very good thing I think. So yeah, it'd be better to bring in some clarity on whether he includes his maps from this thread into his megawad or not, and act accordingly (i.e. removing them in case of the former and leaving them here in case of the latter).

j4rio said:

Map 11 - I thought this sucked. It looks cool and unique but that's about it. All battles had rather amateurish setup besides that one on a platform with four cybers, but even that sucked. So far the worst out of whole wad for me.

Some suggestions maybe? Or you could claim edits. Archi is a pretty impulsive person, so he can just call his map back instead of improving it, and I think it's not that bad to be removed from the project. Do you?

Demonologist said:

Some suggestions maybe? Or you could claim edits. Archi is a pretty impulsive person, so he can just call his map back instead of improving it, and I think it's not that bad to be removed from the project. Do you?

I really can't think of suggestions. If I was in leading position here (I'm not), I would have a very hard time accepting it as it currently is.

yo,

to everyone. i have a new gameplay concept in the first room. i also changed some optical things and the textures are not so bad mixed anymore as before. so now, they fit better together i think. i need some players to playtest the map and give me feedback and uv-max or uv-speed demos would be very nice to see. the first room is now totally different to play then before and it's pretty hard, but don't tell me that it's impossible. i have found out some tactics which are not working always but most times and i'm pretty sure that other players will find out some other tactics too to beat the firt room. also in the following rooms, i have changed optical things and little bit of the gameplay. the textures are not so mixed anymore and it has become a little bit harder there but really just a little bit. playtesting and some nice demos would be cool too see. thanks!

ps: the map is not finished yet. i change maybe some little things later again and also i must control and test everything by myself still a lot of times before releasing the final map to the project.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/r21pnq

djd

Conceptually I've always loved the idea of blasting through enemies from weakest to the strongest, as per your initial layout, but I love the new layout an awful lot more. I am not the person to try to UV-Max a map like this however!

Alright, I think I'm just gonna scrap my "Iron Fortress" map for now just to get it to work on Boom. Although I did come up with another map named "Payload". This should be able to work with the Boom port.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ym2qj44mxd637w/Payload.wad

I tried to run this on Boom but the textures don't seem to wanna work but it's fine on Doombuilder. If anyone knows how to go about the texture problem, any help is much appreciated.

j4rio said:

Map 5
    - the vile load teleporting onto central pillar is completely unnecessary
    - caco load teleporting in is hindered by blocking lines on the above mentioned pillar
    - I'm not fan of room with sector 52, it just forces uninteresting camping - I'd employ the space which is currently void between those two corridors leading to it to open up when you enter this room (with lines 317 and 325)
    - the relative friendlyness of traps overall make me think it should be after map 4 and before map 3, if that makes any sense (current mapslot is 1-2-3-4-5, my proposed is 1-2-4-5-3)

Thank you! I updated my map from your feedback. Sorry, I don't understand well that how you make me change the room with sector 52 for my weak English skill.

Download: http://tatsurdcacocaco.ninja-web.net/sf2013_no2.html

Just figured out that if you include the cc4-text and GOTHICTX with the Payload wad the texts should come up. I'm still trying to import a midi for now though.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Thank you! I updated my map from your feedback. Sorry, I don't understand well that how you make me change the room with sector 52 for my weak English skill.

I'll try an easier to understand solution then.

You could delete barons and hell knights from that room (with sector 52) so there would be no need to slowly camp them.

Omnistar said:

Alright just updated my Payload wad a little.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mq2321f1sbr4nnn/Payload1.zip

Please let me know if there should be any more work done. Thanks!

Hmm, thought I gave some feedback on this at the time, but apparently I didn't.

Replayed it just now and liked it a lot. The only thing that might be useful would be a backpack at the start. There is a lot of ammo lying around, and it would have been nice to store up the rockets rather than constantly going back to the corners for more.