Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

joe-ilya said:

There are more than 32 maps in the list at the OP, no idea what's stopping him from uploading it into IDgames.

I was about to ask the same question. It's been on here since the beginning of 2014. I see there hasn't been a new version of the WAD being released.

Okay, I just played through the version of my map (MAP25, Chaos Slaughter) that's in the latest release for the first time after two years on UV without too much trouble. I don't think it needs any more balancing, if anything there's a bit too much health in it now.

Literally the only problem with it is a missing flat and I can't do anything about that because the only version of the map I still have is an older one. The flat was M_TILE1 from sf2013pr-tex_v2.wad, which was supposed to be merged in with the final release anyway, so I have no idea what the problem is there.

If this project is still alive, I'd like to see dannebubinga do a slaughter map based off his pet cat (aka the "Sunlust cat").

Suitepee said:

If this project is still alive, I'd like to see dannebubinga do a slaughter map based off his pet cat (aka the "Sunlust cat").

That would be an idea. I would love to see it.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Gonna try this. Any maps gonna have 10k + by any chance? I noticed that the maps so far have fewer monsters than in 2011,2012.

When I downloaded the pre-released version of this wad, I noticed that levels were only up to 6,000 enemies instead of 16,000 or 10,000. I think it would be cool if there were to be an Okuplok-sized level included in this project.

I have been playing the beta5 and I like it.

What is left to do to have a final release?

demonologist gets some props as he has taken up the slack and compiled release-candidate wad that (might be?) just waiting for me to get my ass in gear and give him one more map that I promised.

soon™...

Ribbiks said:

demonologist gets some props as he has taken up the slack and compiled release-candidate wad that (might be?) just waiting for me to get my ass in gear and give him one more map that I promised.

soon™...

It's disappointing that there is no level in this project that has 10,000+ enemies. I wonder if it is because you people are getting tired of having that in your project.

mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

It's disappointing that there is no level in this project that has 10,000+ enemies. I wonder if it is because you people are getting tired of having that in your project.

Just because a map has 10000+ monsters, doesnt mean its a good slaughterfest map :)
Same the other way, just because a map has less than 1000 mosnters, it can be an amazing slaughterfest map.

Totally agree with Ninehills here. Monster count is by no means a criteria of how good the map is. <3

Ninehills42 said:

Just because a map has 10000+ monsters, doesnt mean its a good slaughterfest map :)
Same the other way, just because a map has less than 1000 mosnters, it can be an amazing slaughterfest map.

I can agree with that one. I mean, if it is a level with 10,000 enemies in one room and you are given a BFG9000 and a lot of invulnerability spheres, then I can see why you wouldn't buy it because there is no challenge to it. Bieremans (who goes by the YouTube name "Woody Of Doom") beat your Chamber of Massacre level. He likes to do videos of my levels as well. I'd suggest that you check out his stuff as well as mine. Great channel.
Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yzF2lD6Ik&t=1627s

any news? perhaps worth listing what still needs doing and people can volunteer their services?

p.s. i am clueless and useless at any kind of work wrt mapping so feel free to totally ignore me :D

The new map15 is chock full of enemies and I wasn't able to get far before succumbing to wall to wall beasties. I tried several methods to provoke infighting and/or find temporary safe zones without any luck. I'm not sure many players will be able get out of the starting room alive. You are only given a rocket launcher and that isn't really enough to get a start. You might want to review how you expect players to make a start to your map, especially pistol starters. If they can't get a start they are unlikely to play your map.

To examine more of the map I enabled cheats.

All of the teleporter destinations have been remapped so you need to learn a new way to get around the new map15.

A new method for crossing the lava river to the north has been devised.

I'm disappointed that you didn't fix the original map15 north east building secret teleporter bug. The secret sector adjacent to the teleporter cannot be triggered because the sector is only 16 units wide which is too small for the player to step into. Thus only 12/13 secrets is possible on the map playing legit.

The old secret exit has been disabled but you will need to go there to pick up an essential item.

Both a normal and secret exit are there - it took me a while to work out where the new secret exit though.

Due to monster placement, there are not really any places to hide for any length of time except in the south west building secret area. But you can't take out any enemies from down there and you have to come out to play sometime ...

I admit that I haven't spent much time analyzing the map start for a safe path but as I see it right now I rate your map pretty much unplayable by even good players. If that's your intent then mission accomplished.

The start can easily be beaten if you go into the first building or turn right and blow through the imps
Up the first lift is an ssg and a safe zone
Don't know what you mean by north east building teleporter bug but I'll look into it when I get home
The infinite bfg is not meant to be essential as I scattered sufficient bfg ammo

I tried getting the lift up to the super shotgun. Yes is is relatively safe up there. But after emptying the remaining rockets, 50 shells + pistol ammo on the imps waiting for me below the lift I was still left with hordes of imps trying to claw their way in. Even using the backpack behind the the secret box didn't help.

Nor could I find any other way out of the room. After a few failed attempts at strafe running from the highest crate to the corner teleporter, I gave up and decided going to the super shotgun room at the start wasn't viable because you end up stuck in there.

Your idea of turning right out the lift and blasting past the imps is only a little more promising. After several tries I got through once only to go down to the mancubi and revenants beyond since I couldn't work out where to go next.

Easily beaten!? that's hyperbole. Have you actually played your map from a pistol start? If so, how about a quick demo from you showing how to get a viable start with a spoiler tag. That would be instructive.

I'd like to hear some feedback from others on how viable the start is.

Refer to https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP15:_Industrial_Zone_(Doom_II) and scroll down to secret 4 and the bugs section for an explanation on the secret that can't be registered.

Maybe lowering the secret crate will lower the wall in front of the teleport in the ssg area? Also the other route is to run into the big lava area and into the teleport will get you the bfg
I will publish a demo on sunday

Yes Outrageoous, you are right. When you lower the crate in the super shotgun room, you lower the blocking rail to the teleporter. I'd forgotten about that. The path after that is tricky but definitely viable. I'll let the experts tackle the part after collecting the bfg!

The method of getting past the imps going right from the start and then running into the lava and teleporter seems harder to me but is possible.

I concede that there are at least 2 viable starts, but quite difficult.

I look forward to your demo!

The start is doable but it involves lots of waiting for things to kill each other. SF3 is a Boom-format project, which means it should be designed for ports where actors are infinitely tall. This means that after grabbing the megasphere and dropping down to the square of imps (possible to save enough rockets to kill some with splash damage), you're stuck in that room for a while until the cyber kills a bunch of things, because running on monsters' heads doesn't work here. ~5 minutes of standing around doing nothing later --> Once in the BFG tower, after you lower the stairs and kill the revs on the top flight, you get literally blocked by the wall of infinitely tall revenants below the lifts. I didn't see a way to get past that in the intended sourceports at all, so I stopped there.

Is it unfair to request that mappers also provide a demo of them beating the map they made, or at least establishing a little bit of progress outside the first 50 monsters to at least demonstrate some sort of strategy that isn't obvious on the surface?

rdwpa said:

The start is doable but it involves lots of waiting for things to kill each other. SF3 is a Boom-format project, which means it should be designed for ports where actors are infinitely tall. This means that after grabbing the megasphere and dropping down to the square of imps (possible to save enough rockets to kill some with splash damage), you're stuck in that room for a while until the cyber kills a bunch of things, because running on monsters' heads doesn't work here. ~5 minutes of standing around doing nothing later --> Once in the BFG tower, after you lower the stairs and kill the revs on the top flight, you get literally blocked by the wall of infinitely tall revenants below the lifts. I didn't see a way to get past that in the intended sourceports at all, so I stopped there.

Yes I am aware about the revenant bug as I play in glboom plus and I am thinking of ways to stop that
Also I not sure about the orher thing you are talking about do you mean jumping to the teleport to get the bfg in the revenant and arch vile tower? If so I put a monster blocking linseed so you can jump from the platform with the 5 imps

This map is designed around infinitely tall actors and the revenant area is the only part with any problem for me

*EDIT*
I've added a block monsters line infront of the lifts so you can drop down also adding difficulty options ATM
And fixed the untaggable secret bug

Played this map and because I hate myself actually made it to the exit, https://www.mediafire.com/?xocd8cs6o8hucyi , lots of saves and deaths.

The map is clearly designed around monsters not being infinitely tall, after the bfg tower and clearing the open area (or waiting doing nothing until it clears itself) the map turns completely uninteresting as you just clear a bunch of rooms filled with spam and backtrack whenever you are low on ammo or hp.

Felt almost like a chillax map to me.