Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plut

Resurgence demos [-complevel 9]

@Joshy Will the new difficulty settings for maps 27-30 and the tweaks for maps 18 and 31 have a big impact for a full playthrough with 100% kills and secrets on Ultra-Violence?

Lingyan203 said:

@Joshy Will the new difficulty settings for maps 27-30 and the tweaks for maps 18 and 31 have a big impact for a full playthrough with 100% kills and secrets on Ultra-Violence?

Demos on Map28-30 should be fine.

Map18, 27 and 31 demos will desync.

alright thanks Joshy. I don't usually do speed demos but I will link the video playthrough to you once it's complete. Note that I don't pistol start on every level (unless if its forced), so ya the death exits kinda bother me a bit.

Also, for maps 18, 27, and 31, will there be some small item or powerup placement changes or will it be pretty much the same as the previous version? Just curious to know.

Lingyan203 said:

alright thanks Joshy. I don't usually do speed demos but I will link the video playthrough to you once it's complete. Note that I don't pistol start on every level (unless if its forced), so ya the death exits kinda bother me a bit.

Also, for maps 18, 27, and 31, will there be some small item or powerup placement changes or will it be pretty much the same as the previous version? Just curious to know.

The yellow key and bfg are moved in map18, 2x medikits before the infamous rev trap on map27 on uv difficulty (and a blue armor somewhere), and map31 just has an extra archvile for speedrun goodness.

Also death exits for map05, map25 and map29 are removed for the lower difficulties. UV players will have to put up with the death exits for the sake of challenge. However, death exits on Map11, 15 and 20 will remain (on all difficulties) to maintain gameplay balance.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Can you also map MAP07 nomo-friendly while you're making updates?

Done and done.

What ever happened to the ancient art of letting your wad go and living with the fact that hanging body #4 is misplaced on map26... Or perhaps it's a good thing that we have mappers so passionate about polishing their levels nowadays. Maybe do something about this on map18 btw (monsters can't navigate stairs and just pile up there).

Memfis said:

What ever happened to the ancient art of letting your wad go and living with the fact that hanging body #4 is misplaced on map26... Or perhaps it's a good thing that we have mappers so passionate about polishing their levels nowadays. Maybe do something about this on map18 btw (monsters can't navigate stairs and just pile up there).

Implementing difficulty settings for Map28-30 justified some tweaking here and there I thought. Map18 stairs changed. Monsters are now free to come and go as they like.

Memfis said:

*Looks at UR, slowly and sadly shakes head*

@Joshy You mean there will be an extra blue armour in map27 before the infamous revenant trap? I already saw one in the level before the trap. Also for the extra arch-vile in map31, I hope there won't be an extra one in the helix fight. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to do my full playthrough of that map.

As for a death exit in map05 for UV players, I think it would be better to put it in map06 instead of map05 cause there's a text screen that shows after map06.

Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you, if I do the video playthroughs of the old version, and then download the fixed version of the wad, will I have to start all over from the very beginning if I have gotten through the first couple maps (like 14, 15, or both of the secret levels)?

Hey guys, latest version up on idgames now: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/resurge.zip

Version indicated by '('final final' fix updated on 3-02-2015)'

Fixes:

Map02- added exit sign at exit teleport so it isn't abrupt.

Map07 is completable on -no monsters

Map31- extra archvile put in (for speedrun purposes).

Map18- yellow key and BFG relocated. Both are easier to grab, navigation is much easier. Changed stairway just before the plasma rifle area so monsters can walk up and down.

Some maps have certain bars modified so glides are possible.

Difficulty settings added in for map28-30. HNTR and HMP should be more friendly than UV. Added one blue armor and some additional green armor on map27. Also 2 medikits before the infamous rev trap. Ledges at end of map27 modified so monsters can roam up and down freely.

Some minor aesthetic fixes on map30.

Less death exits for those playing on lower difficulties.

I haven't tested which demos still work and which have desynced. Hopefully the majority of them are fine.

Lingyan203 said:

@Joshy You mean there will be an extra blue armour in map27 before the infamous revenant trap? I already saw one in the level before the trap. Also for the extra arch-vile in map31, I hope there won't be an extra one in the helix fight. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to do my full playthrough of that map

There's an archvile in the final area of map31 but not during the helix fight. It's fairly harmless really.

Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you, if I do the video playthroughs of the old version, and then download the fixed version of the wad, will I have to start all over from the very beginning if I have gotten through the first couple maps (like 14, 15, or both of the secret levels)?

I'm not sure what you mean here, you are recording all the demos you've done for the maps and then uploading it on youtube?

@Joshy I'm recording the gameplay but I'm not doing demos. I'm actually just recording and playing it like normal, you know, a continuous playthrough of the wad. I meant I'm only saving at the start of each map, keeping my weapons, ammo, health, and armour, from the end of the previous map. I'll show you what I mean when I start recording and uploading the first few maps.

Here's the link to my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lingyan203

P.S. the idgames download link is still the same as the previous version.

is there any max or speed records that aren't really good? I don't really have any runs I have in mind.

MD922 said:

is there any max or speed records that aren't really good? I don't really have any runs I have in mind.

Map 3 pacifist is kind of annoying, but I'm sure my run is beatable. If you are looking for a nomo, the map 4 nomo is missing a somewhat obvious keygrab for the yellow key. Also map 2 UV-Speed is pretty improvable, I don't know of any tricks, though.

My MAP25 max is very bad, it wasn't recorded with speed in mind to begin with. You probably can do it like 3 times faster.

I think for map 2 you can do a momentum wobble death slide from the top of the pillars through the window to exit, but it seems insanely hard.

I really wanted a max run overall, so I can work on my max skills while doing a run. Is that max run hard Memfis?

With my strategy - imo not really. The way I deal with the prison break fight is very very safe and easy to perform. I guess the difficulty will depend on how aggressively you'll be trying to play. I'm sure you can knock down several minutes from my time with no problem if you just plan the ammo distribution a little.

Anyone want a full UV TAS for this wad? I could work on that if any of you want to see it. One thing I wanted to ask is if you make a -cl9 demo in prboom-plus then you open it in XDRE2 then save it, will the demo still be a -cl9 demo? I want to use for trick testing and for hard tricks, like the wobble death exit on map 02 NoobBait mentioned. I currently have spring break, so I a lot of time for this.

dre doens't handle non-vanilla demos, so neither does xdre afaik.

MD922 said:

Anyone want a full UV TAS for this wad? I could work on that if any of you want to see it. One thing I wanted to ask is if you make a -cl9 demo in prboom-plus then you open it in XDRE2 then save it, will the demo still be a -cl9 demo? I want to use for trick testing and for hard tricks, like the wobble death exit on map 02 NoobBait mentioned. I currently have spring break, so I a lot of time for this.

I used XDRE2 for some parts of my FTH TAS. I ran XDRE with -complevel 9 (I don't know if that actually did anything), and I would rerecord on the demo afterwards in PrBoom+, which made it work. I think I experienced it desyncing on occasion, but I'm not sure; the one time that happened, I redid it and it worked. I only built parts of it, I don't know if a fully built TAS would work.

I just tried doing SIH map 01-03 built TAS, and I started a random -skill 4 -warp 1 demo in prboom-plus then I put it into XDRE2 and when I saved it and played back the demo in -cl9 in prboom-plus and it played fine.