Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

15 hours ago, The Cooker Of Goats said:

Is there any way to make the cyberdemons rockets and the players rockets look different? I'm working on a mod and now the cyberdemon is shooting scorch shot projectiles.

Depends on what format you are working for. Doom or Boom won't let you swap projectiles, though you can give cyberdemon an attack from a different monster - assuming you are willing to sacrifice something and swap properties of that one for a rocket.

DECORATE/zScript or MBF21 let you just give it a whole new projectile.

Gzdoom: how different fully invisible 3d floor (aka no textures to draw) will affect perfomance. I need them for collisions, and to fit the shape need to stack a bunch.

Tldr is there a difference in perfomance between invisible or normal textured 3d floors

4 hours ago, INfront95 said:

Gzdoom: how different fully invisible 3d floor (aka no textures to draw) will affect perfomance. I need them for collisions, and to fit the shape need to stack a bunch.

Tldr is there a difference in perfomance between invisible or normal textured 3d floors

Good question. And how they compare to the "custom invisible bridge"-things which can also be used as collision.

One quick question regarding the screen;

When using "Reduce/Increase Screen Size", a Flat is seen (GRNROCK) tiling all over the window. It is also seen in some modern source ports on either side of the STATBAR (mitigation between 4:3 and 16:9 assets).

Aside from editing and replacing said flat, what are my options to change this? Can I change it using either MAPINFO format, or even Dehacked?

Target is Limit Removing Doom 2.

3 hours ago, Oxyde said:

One quick question regarding the screen;

When using "Reduce/Increase Screen Size", a Flat is seen (GRNROCK) tiling all over the window. It is also seen in some modern source ports on either side of the STATBAR (mitigation between 4:3 and 16:9 assets).

Aside from editing and replacing said flat, what are my options to change this? Can I change it using either MAPINFO format, or even Dehacked?

Target is Limit Removing Doom 2.

I only know how to change this in ZDoom-based ports, as in my ZMAPINFO, I have:

gameinfo
{
   borderflat = "electron"
   weaponslot = 5, "GrenadeLauncher"
   weaponslot = 7, "MasterBlaster"
}

The borderflat entry is what changes it to my custom flat. Maybe other ports have a GAMEINFO lump?

3 minutes ago, prfunky said:

I only know how to change this in ZDoom-based ports, as in my ZMAPINFO, I have:

gameinfo
{
   borderflat = "electron"
   weaponslot = 5, "GrenadeLauncher"
   weaponslot = 7, "MasterBlaster"
}

The borderflat entry is what changes it to my custom flat. Maybe other ports have a GAMEINFO lump? 

Thank you!

Though as I aim for Crispy/WooF/DSDA support at best, UMAPINFO is next best thing available and I don't seem to see anything in such a scope.

2 minutes ago, prfunky said:

They explicitly stated "Target is Limit Removing Doom 2", so no GAMEINFO doesn't exist for them. The only option is to change the flat itself, I don't believe dehacked can change the name.

Alright, this one is for all the vanilla psychos and code-trawlers out there: It is my understanding that the timing of the vanilla strobe light effects depends on the position of the impacted sector. Therefore, in theory, you could make controlled lighting effects like Hexen implements, by using merged sectors. My question would therefore be: is my understanding correct and, if so, what position is the most important? Is it the position of the lowest numbered vertex? The position of the most top-left (or what have you) vertex?

Posted (edited)

How do I sort maps in a wad? like so that it'd be map01, map02, ... , map32?

Not manually of course, cuz I'll have to do that multiple times

14 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

How do I sort maps in a wad? like so that it'd be map01, map02, ... , map32?

Not manually of course, cuz I'll have to do that multiple times

I think SLADE can do it, just select the whole thing and sort. Last time I checked, it didn't sort individual lumps of the level like that.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I think SLADE can do it, just select the whole thing and sort. Last time I checked, it didn't sort individual lumps of the level like that.

it worked this way, thanks

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this has been answered here, just thought I'd give it a shot and save myself 183 pages of, potentially unrelated, reading.

Is there a way to make the little line / flag that indicates the front side of a sidedef bigger or more noticeable in UDB? It's not so bad on my 1440p desktop screen, I can see it just fine, but on my laptop display with a stupid 3000x2000 resolution it is nearly impossible to see (and my eyes aren't the best anymore as well). I had a look in the Interface and Appearance tabs under preferences but nothing obvious jumps out at me.

If this can not be adjusted I am going to post a feature request over on the UDB github, it seems like a nice thing to be able to adjust for accessibility sake. I also don't think I am the only person to struggle with this from time to time either. I'm also willing to bet that there are people who don't even know the little flag exists, purely because it doesn't show on whatever display configuration the user is using.

Edit: Here is what that looks like on my laptop display. As you can see it's there if you have crystal clear vision, anything less and well, uh... might have to open the image in a new tab to see the correct scaling / size of the image.

Spoiler

image.png.187a89ccd4f3c98794cf07c275d7a854.png

Another edit: This is absolutely wild. Opening my own screenshot in a new tab and it is 1.5x the size it was before, dimensionally speaking, flags clearly visible. This leads me to believe there is some weird DPI scaling going on, why should a screenshot taken on the same device suddenly become 1.5x the size when uploaded to the internet? The same screenshot pasted into MSPaint on my machine fills almost exactly a 3000x2000 window, yet when looking at it in firefox it has ballooned significantly?

Edited by ObserverOfTime : added example image, express confusion

Hello everyone, I thought I could just ask here for some random help.

Sorry for the dumb question, I don't know if it's already been answered but I can't seem to find anything about this in the tutorials.

How do I rotate flats textures in the Slade map editor?? 

I need to place a 64x64 square teleporter sector, that I need to rotate 30° in order to make it align with the wall.

I used the "editing" feature, that allows to insert custom-degrees rotations for lines and sectors. Problem is that when I rotate the teleporter, the texture of the flat remains aligned to the original grid instead of following the new inclination of the lines. And it sucks.

I think I've seen mentioned by some people in discussions, and in the Slade Github, that it's possible to "manually rotate" flats... but I can't find any info on how to actually do it. In the keybindings menu, this option is not contemplated. Even in the tutorial written by Eevee on website, which has been incredibly helpful so far, it talks about it briefly but doesn't give any command nor examples, so I am currently stuck.

Thanks in advance for any eventual response. 

If we are talking outside of gzDoom, you can't rotate flats, let alone by 30 degrees. They are going to be stuck on a grid.

1 minute ago, ViolentBeetle said:

If we are talking outside of gzDoom, you can't rotate flats, let alone by 30 degrees. They are going to be stuck on a grid.

I am working on a map that is aimed at GZDoom. Or at least I think some limit-removing port will be required, but I'm testing it on GZDoom.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

I am working on a map that is aimed at GZDoom. Or at least I think some limit-removing port will be required, but I'm testing it on GZDoom.

Limit removing is just vanilla doom but with the static limits extended/removed, it cannot rotate a flat*. Additionally GZDoom isn't a great port to verify this with because it allows behaviors in the vanilla format that are beyond limit removing, this often trips up unaware mappers resulting in vanilla/LR/Boom maps that are not actually compatible to those standards causing problems in other ports.

*While you cannot rotate a flat, you can just make a new flat that is rotated.

37 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Rotating teleport pad 30 degrees seems complicated, but yes.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Limit removing is just vanilla doom but with the static limits extended/removed, it cannot rotate a flat*. Additionally GZDoom isn't a great port to verify this with because it allows behaviors in the vanilla format that are beyond limit removing, this often trips up unaware mappers resulting in vanilla/LR/Boom maps that are not actually compatible to those standards causing problems in other ports.

Sorry about all this, I'm not an expert on such technical things and I'm fairly new to Doom editing. I'm mostly learning as I go.

46 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

... but this sounds interesting. I could create a new 64x64 flat which is already "rotated", by just exporting the PNG, rotate it as I want, and reimport it as a new flat that's gonna look like it's correctly aligned when I load it in the map and adjust it... didn't think of such a solution. Gonna try this and see. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

Sorry about all this, I'm not an expert on such technical things and I'm fairly new to Doom editing. I'm mostly learning as I go.

... but this sounds interesting. I could create a new 64x64 flat which is already "rotated", by just exporting the PNG, rotate it as I want, and reimport it as a new flat that's gonna look like it's correctly aligned when I load it in the map and adjust it... didn't think of such a solution. Gonna try this and see. Thanks!!

You could try.

I once tried to make a 64 * 64 section Pipewall into a flat. It worked perfectly for 90 degree angles, but when I tried to make a version with a 45 degree angle, and I just could not figure out how to get it to tile properly. Your 30-degree-angle teleporter flat may be similarly difficult to create. The problem is that you can't just rotate a 64*64 image and call it a day, a flat is a 64*64 image of a square shape, which means that you will need to tile your teleport flat multiple times (at least 4), then rotate that image, and try to select a 64 * 64 section which can be perfectly tiled. If it's off by just one pixel, the flaw will be easily noticeable to the player.

The easiest path would be to either rotate your entire level by 30 degrees, or rework just the room you need so you don't need a 30 degree teleporter flat, or just have the teleporter remain a square which isn't lined up with the 30 degree angle.

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 4:00 AM, ObserverOfTime said:

I don't know if this has been answered here, just thought I'd give it a shot and save myself 183 pages of, potentially unrelated, reading.

Is there a way to make the little line / flag that indicates the front side of a sidedef bigger or more noticeable in UDB? It's not so bad on my 1440p desktop screen, I can see it just fine, but on my laptop display with a stupid 3000x2000 resolution it is nearly impossible to see (and my eyes aren't the best anymore as well). I had a look in the Interface and Appearance tabs under preferences but nothing obvious jumps out at me.

I was going to suggest you to look into dpi scaling, but that would probably affect all the other programs at the same time. No idea, tbh.

2 hours ago, Asphalt said:

You can go that route, but as stabbey mentioned, making a new flat that tiles correctly after rotating can be really hard to do. I'd suggest two things:

1 - Accept fate and work around this limitation. Grid alignment is a limitation of older formats that are more faithful to the original Doom engine, and IMO these limitations can lead to very creative endeavors.
2 - Bite the bullet and start anew. And by that I mean simply changing the format of your map, which I'm going to assume is vanilla, Boom or MBf21 to something which allows for rotation of sprites, like UDMF. But that will change many other things at the same time, so I, personally, wouldn't go this route. Depends on which stage in development of the map you're in.

26 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

I was going to suggest you to look into dpi scaling, but that would probably affect all the other programs at the same time. No idea, tbh.

The wild part is that no amount of dpi scaling seems to affect the flag size on my display. It even looks "proper" when I'm taking screenshots to demonstrate the issue, the screenshots come out like 4x the size and everything looks fine. Thus, I have resorted to taking a picture of my screen and attached it to properly illustrate the issue. I'm guessing it's a windows issue, might have to end up looking at the source and compile a version with the little flag being 4-8x the size purely for my laptop. What a bother, I was hoping this would be straightforward. Alas, thank you for the response.

SLADE3's built-in editor for example displays it just fine, nice big and bold too. Too bad it is ill suited for my purposes.

Let's play a game of spot the flag (consider that I have less than perfect vision):20240409_051600.jpg.95dbfbf2c4284ac398ff0de6a695b922.jpg

Sure, it's obvious where it is when you're looking at a perfect rectangle. Consider more complex geometry and maybe a bit of eyestrain on top, I have given up mapping on my laptop for the time being.

6 minutes ago, ObserverOfTime said:

Sure, it's obvious where it is when you're looking at a perfect rectangle. Consider more complex geometry and maybe a bit of eyestrain on top, I have given up mapping on my laptop for the time being.

I guess you could make a feature request on the UDB github, they might implement it and it would benefit other people too. I've reported a bug there once and it was promptly patched. Doesn't hurt to try. 

8 hours ago, Asphalt said:

I need to place a 64x64 square teleporter sector, that I need to rotate 30° in order to make it align with the wall.

Why not rotate the entire map 30 degrees draw your own teleporter made out of sectors? (since it is limit-removed)

11 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

If we are talking outside of gzDoom, you can't rotate flats, let alone by 30 degrees.

This is not correct. All ports that I'm aware off that support for UDMF can rotate flats.

38 minutes ago, boris said:

This is not correct. All ports that I'm aware off that support for UDMF can rotate flats.

Is there any command to do that in Slade?

8 hours ago, Stabbey said:

You could try.

I once tried to make a 64 * 64 section Pipewall into a flat. It worked perfectly for 90 degree angles, but when I tried to make a version with a 45 degree angle, and I just could not figure out how to get it to tile properly. Your 30-degree-angle teleporter flat may be similarly difficult to create. The problem is that you can't just rotate a 64*64 image and call it a day, a flat is a 64*64 image of a square shape, which means that you will need to tile your teleport flat multiple times (at least 4), then rotate that image, and try to select a 64 * 64 section which can be perfectly tiled. If it's off by just one pixel, the flaw will be easily noticeable to the player.

The easiest path would be to either rotate your entire level by 30 degrees, or rework just the room you need so you don't need a 30 degree teleporter flat, or just have the teleporter remain a square which isn't lined up with the 30 degree angle.

8 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

You can go that route, but as stabbey mentioned, making a new flat that tiles correctly after rotating can be really hard to do. I'd suggest two things:

1 - Accept fate and work around this limitation. Grid alignment is a limitation of older formats that are more faithful to the original Doom engine, and IMO these limitations can lead to very creative endeavors.
2 - Bite the bullet and start anew. And by that I mean simply changing the format of your map, which I'm going to assume is vanilla, Boom or MBf21 to something which allows for rotation of sprites, like UDMF. But that will change many other things at the same time, so I, personally, wouldn't go this route. Depends on which stage in development of the map you're in.

For now I'm gonna try this route: I'm gonna add a new 128x128 texture/flat that includes the entirety of my 30-degrees-rotated teleporter, then I'm gonna insert it in the map and adjust it with the offset commands so that it's centered perfectly on the pad. It's just a workaround but theoretically I think it should work, because I've seen that Slade allows to use generic textures as flats, not only 64x64. Fingers crossed. Thank you guys.

placeholder.jpg

7 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

For now I'm gonna try this route: I'm gonna add a new 128x128 texture/flat that includes the entirety of my 30-degrees-rotated teleporter, then I'm gonna insert it in the map and adjust it with the offset commands so that it's centered perfectly on the pad. It's just a workaround but theoretically I think it should work, because I've seen that Slade allows to use generic textures as flats, not only 64x64. Fingers crossed. Thank you guys.

placeholder.jpg

Slade can allow different flats, but depending on the format you're mapping it won't work. I think boom and mbf21 require 64x64 flats. 

3 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Slade can allow different flats, but depending on the format you're mapping it won't work. I think boom and mbf21 require 64x64 flats. 

Gonna be GZDoom only, apparently. I'm gonna write it loud and clear when I (hopefully) release it.

17 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Is there any command to do that in Slade?

I can't see any key bind to set it automatically. But you can of course manually enter the values for floor/ceiling rotation and offsets (but computing those is not fun).

Posted (edited)

@Asphalt Export the texture into your editor. Multiply the dimensions by 3 while keeping it centered then tile the graphic to fill the space in the surrounding area. Rotate by 30 degrees, then shrink the image back down to 64x64, again keeping it focused in the center. Import and convert back to a Doom flat.

This feels like too dumb of a question for its own topic. I'm trying to make the players MaxStepHeight to 46 in ACS because the map would play alot better with that then allowing jump. I thought it would be as simple as this but this script applies the step height to every entity except the player. Any help is appreciated. I feel like its a really simple issue that I'm missing here.

script 5 ENTER{
	SetActorProperty(0,APROP_MaxStepHeight,46);
}