Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Cotton Rock 'n' Roll. Had put it off forever because of both the silly price tag and the visual noise. And all my deaths have absolutely been from something I couldn't see because the screen is bleeding medals and multipliers on top of stage effects and bullets. But I would've happily paid more than a tenner for this. Every character legit makes it feel like a completely different game and I'm having a tonne of fun just sampling them all before I pick a playstyle to gun for a 1cc.

Just recently started AM2R on my Vita. I'm extremely impressed by the level of quality given that it's just a fan project. Sucks it got taken down.

I also completed Splatoon 3's Side Order DLC with all the weapons as well :)

Posted (edited)

Been on a bit of a Quake / Q2 blast recently.

I got Quake Injector installed on my Ubuntu machine to play with the Quaddicted map database. A lot of dross, but I'm finding all the old stuff I remember from back in the day like Koohoo, CZG's stuff - Ceremonial Circles, Memento Mori [no, not that one] etc. which is excellent - and I'm REALLY liking the newer stuff based off Arcane Dimensions or Copper etc. Definitely recommend looking in on the Quake scene for newer stuff.

I also installed Yamagi Quake to play Quake 2 maps - it's a bit more manual to faff about with the BSPs or PK3s to play them, but that's not really a problem once I got a pattern working.. I've got quite a few Q2 maps downloaded and I'm finding a few excellent ones, but mostly - I'm afraid to say -  I prefer the Quake 1 output... Maybe it's an aesthetic thing? Also I think the scope for creativity is probably less with Q2 because of the fairly specific story and in-game universe etc. 

I have uploaded all the Q2 maps I have found to one of my Github repos:

>>> QUAKE 2 MAPS <<<

image.png.b546a777830549eb10b7d67ee12a2bb0.png
Helldivers 2 is legit my GOTY, it's absurdly fun. 
REMEMBER THE CREEK

I watched a Balatro stream on Saturday and it convinced me to download it. I've never played a deckbuilding game before, and I haven't played a ton of rougelikes. This game is all I've been doing when I'm not at work. Send help.

I've been playing modded Minecraft for many years now, but I finally fell victim to the Gregtech: New Horizons modpack, which is pretty much the apotheosis of complicated, grindy factory-building. I freaking love it and hate it at the same time. I'm in UV/UHV tier, which would be past-endgame in most other mods but is only just the beginning of the endgame in this one.

Posted (edited)

The Poker Night series, though I can't say I'm playing them, since they sadly were taken off Steam. Depressing, poker video games normally aren't my thing and it's pretty much the only game in the genre I'm interested in, since the opponent characters consist of many different characters from franchises such as Sam and Max, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, The Venture Bros, Borderlands, Homestar Runner and Penny Arcade with tons and tons of entertaining banter and interactions, which is the primary selling point of the series. It's also the only way to get stuff like the Iron Curtain and Sam and Max's guns in TF2, so if you don't already own the games and couldn't get them on time like me, chances are you're screwed.

Edited by Panzermann11

On 3/24/2024 at 10:07 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Helldivers 2 is legit my GOTY, it's absurdly fun. 
REMEMBER THE CREEK

Today’s the day!!!

(This galaxy map is a lot of fun, and I’m real happy with Arrowhead’s general success with the game).

Every time I thought I had seen all that Infernax had to offer, it would break open into a whole new direction. I couldn't stop playing until I actually had seen everything. Every dialogue, every ending, every side quest, every character and every secret was a pleasure to uncover. The soundtrack is permanently etched into my mind and had me casually trying to learn famitracker, though my piano roll brain is severely stunted.

Steam was nice enough to refund Dragon's Dogma 2 even though I had played just over two hours. The reason I gave them was poor performance, but in reality it ran perfectly fine, it was just so similar to the first game that I couldn't justify paying $70 more for something I already have. I may buy it again in the future once it's on sale.

Also had fun with Helldivers 2, but with no friends to play with and the crapshoot of randoms, solo play only went so far for me. Standing around waiting for a flag to raise by myself isn't very fun to do once, let alone three times in a map, grinding resources to slowly unlock gear and abilities in menus is my own personal hell, and the amount of time spent running to objectives in a procedurally generated planet will never not make me feel like I'm playing Starfield. But like any multiplayer game, I'm sure it's infinitely more fun with friends. I still plan to keep playing occasionally because the controls feel that good.

Decided on a whim to check out Control on PC Game Pass for a few hours; It started out with a good amount of mystery but suffers from the same type of dialogue and voice acting that made Alan Wake so insufferable, though to a lesser degree.

Played a few levels of Trepang2, a really great F.E.A.R. clone, but I accidentally keep replaying the same maps and don't know if the game is saving or what.

I ended up just replaying Doom 3 again for the hundredth time. Pure comfort food in game form.

That's right, I'm hijacking this thread I guess and making it my own personal game journal. I keep playing games and worst of all, I keep wanting to talk about them.

After only a dozen hours of Helldivers 2, not even playing with a group of people I liked could save it from feeling like a chore. It still has some of the best feeling combat in any game of its class and there's a lot to love, I just can't do the slow grind live service multiplayer thing and feel like most of the game is spent waiting on something rather than playing and having fun. I most often like to play a game for 20-45 minutes, go do something else and come back for another short session, which is next to impossible with a group of friends so I end up either playing more than is enjoyable for me, or leave early and make them think I just don't like playing with them. It's just not really fun having to piss the whole time, going afk while everyone waits on you, or sitting around waiting for someone else who didn't communicate what they're doing.

Oddly enough it got me back into playing Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. Mostly 2, but when I want to play the maps from 1 I usually just play 1. Over a hundred hours and I've still never played online because honestly it doesn't sound fun at all. I don't want to talk to people, I don't want to follow someone around on their own trip, I don't want to use the most optimal metagame tactics or risk getting kicked, I just want to shoot zombies and play the game on my own terms. The mods and maps people make keep the game fresh, there's even a single player verses mode so I can play as special infected without it feeling like sports but I still end up playing the same base levels over and over and they almost never get old. I've only started playing it a few years ago other than first playing it on the XBox 360 around 2010 but it's become a game that I can't stop coming back to.

After letting L4D run its course I tried getting back into Vermintide 2 because I used to play it a lot a few years ago, but all it did was make me appreciate how Left 4 Dead 2 gives you all the game's content upfront, letting you experience it at your own pace instead of keeping everything locked behind a slow grind of loot, loadouts, skills and perks. I don't inherently hate that stuff but after the feeling of whiplash it made me appreciate the simplicity and freedom in L4D of being able to pick up any weapon in the game and not be bound to it, having all your skills and abilities available from the start, and the only thing locking you out is your own knowledge and skill. You don't unlock a perk that lets you crown the witch with a shotgun, you just figure out how to do it without dying (mostly). Endless loot grinds, daily challenges and rewards are all well and good, but aren't what keep me coming back to my favorites games, and often prevent me from returning at all.

All the shit I talk about grindy multiplayer games, if anyone wants to get together and play one of them, hit me up! I'm not totally closed off to it and do enjoy being social.

Anyway I never played more than an hour of any of the Fallout games (and only of 1, 3 and New Vegas) but a friend recommended the show so I watched it and well, then I wanted to play one of the games. I started a new game of Fallout 3 and am about 20 hours in. Wonderful atmosphere, interesting characters, and it's gotten me to actually enjoy light survival mechanics and I don't know why I never gave it a full chance before but I'm glad to finally experience it, and I look forward to revisiting New Vegas as well.

With the Steam FPS sale going on, I bought a few games that I had been interested in for a bit. Just played through Project Warlock. Beat it on the standard difficulty and didn't die a single time! Well, except for falling into a pit toward the end, but I'm not counting that. Was pretty enjoyable. I'll have to bump the difficulty up for the next playthrough. Only issue I had was I got lost a few times due to the labyrinth layouts with not many identifiable landmarks in a few maps. Outside of that, a pretty solid Wolfenstein 3D-like game.