Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Moonblood (it's our 5 year anniversary, golly!)

MAP11: Logistics

17:25 | 100% Everything

Wow, this is like Guys Randomly Wandering Around Everywhere: The Level. I'd clear out an area, and then next time I came back somebody had wandered in from somewhere else and was shooting me in the back! (Died once on account of that.) Highly nonlinear level, to the point where I had both keys before I'd so much as sniffed a keyed door. I hit the switches at the same time, so I assume one raised the ramps to the central pillar, and the other opened the doors? Fun map! The outdoor area again looked very nice, and I was disappointed to see that there was nothing to do there, having already killed the 3 or so baddies through the windows from inside.

MAP11 | E2-5: Logistics

100% kills, 4/4 secrets

First thing that struck me off the bat was the wide range of texture use... got blue computer areas, grey walls, green marble and brick, tekgreen, crates, lava, slime... all jumbled together sorta in a Doom 2-ish Shores of Hell way. I'll echo Salt-Man Z in regards to the monsters wandering around, which I liked... good way to keep the player on his or her toes without relying on teleports. I do think the ending was a bit underwhelming though, as an episode ender especially. Even vanilla Doom 2 introduced the Arch-Vile by this map!

MAP10
Nice interconnecting between areas, but this is cause why I'm lost there.
I feared about rad-suits not be enough, and I wasted them before I got yellow key.
So, by wandering I found two secrets with chainsaw and soulsphere.
Also platforming between crushers is neat idea, may be I will use that gimmick in my wad some day.

MAP11
Moonblood have very accurate ammo usage in continuous play.
This map have clever monster placement and I almost don't peek at the automap to find where need to go.
The place consists of cement/tech textures with a pinch of marble.
Most dangerous ambush in green brick area - the whole room collapses and also other multiple traps is released. I retreated to starting area, also berserk pack is helped me a lot when I have less 30% HP.
Also I like "DR door" ambushes, when monsters just waiting for your shot and opens walls. I remember I used this trick in some Urania maps.

MAP11

A solid corrupted tech base level, with elements of marble and hellish alcoves interfused with the usual cement and tekgren.  I found the exploration quite enjoyable, with some good combats throughout.  The yellow key fight was probably the most memorable of these.

I did get a little stymied once, but it was my own fault because I'd forgotten a door I'd already opened (the one with the switch on top of the crate).  Other than that, navigation was fairly easy.

Secrets continue to be a little underwhelming in terms of their rewards.

MAP11, E2-5: Logistics

This one is a lot of fun, with the corrupted elements of this particular techbase growing more extensive and prominent (though not yet mid-to-late-E2 prominent) and a sprawling, exploratory feel that contains some nice callbacks to classic Doom elements - the 'shielding' for the yellow key that all opens up at once calls to mind a similar setup around the blue key in E1M4, and the circular room just to the north of the entrance here seems to echo the titular set piece of the regular MAP11 slot.  Mostly you're free to wander this one as you please; the same goes for many of the monsters, though they're as likely to get stuck in architectular convolutions as they are to outflank and surprise you.  I was left with a sense of being invited and encouraged to explore for its own sake, and there are some moments (conspicuously not trapping the soul sphere in the south-west of the map, for exaple) that reinforce that.  This level has left a more positive impression on me than the previous couple, and I'm looking forward to where the WAD takes us now that we're making a start on episode 3 - I kinda hope that more wide-open and outdoor areas lie ahead, and the player's not merely being teased here.

MAP11: A level that doesn't show much anything new, but I still find it quite fun and solid. Originally, this level was supposed to be the "non-linear" one of the batch, but since every level has now some non-linear chunk, this kinda lose its meaning. Anyway, the level changed a lot compared to what it was before: Several small sections were added, doors were removed, some sections were enlarged and monster placement changed completely. The original idea is still the same, so you still have to find the two keys to access the teleport in the center, and then you can reach the final battle and exit. 

In this level, hell presence is getting stronger and it's affecting the base's architecture (which is expected from Doom haha). So the E2 vibe is getting stronger, with marbles and fire everywhere, especially in the last room where the hardest so far (?) setpiece happens. A cool gimmicky that was added after is the monsters which opens de door by themselves, which already happened before in the wad, but here is more proeminent, creating some interesting setups. I also like the hitscanners that get released after you get the blue key, so they keep roaming freely. There wasn't no revenants originally, but I think they ended fitting well, because they don't eat too much space and can go everywhere and also doesn't block the player's passage.

Overall Episode 2 thoughts: I think while episode 1 took too much to engage, episode 2, while still being fun, doesn't offer enought new settings, since most level's (except for 10) are similar. Gameplay-wise it's more exciting than 1. It introduces the rest of the cast except for the Baron and the Arch-ville, and there's some cool setpieces too, but there's also some annoyances which can hurt the experience, especially on map 9. I think replacing it into a different more open map would help keeping the pace going on.

I hope things feel different for you guys on next episode, since it's new maps instead of remixed ones haha 

9 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

@Deadwing do you play with hardware or software renderer?

I think it's software renderer. (if it's what I'm thinking haha) I really like the original lighting, where close things gets brigther than the furthest ones. It also makes the enviroment looks more dynamic, I guess.

cool. was just wondering as the colour filter w hardware rendering isnt too bad but its really hard for me to see stuff with software+filter; everything goes into a uniform brown!

MAP11 Logistics

I actually do not like seeing two identical doors at the start that are opened in different ways, such as one opening via switch and one being openable directly. It's becoming a small pet peeve of mine and there should be different door textures for such things. This level is quite a nonlinear romp, actually quite hard mostly due to the many snipers and hitscanners positioned. These guys are fast as fuck too, they will even sneak up when given any chance even when not in my line of sight. Lots of places to go, but no matter what, I still exit this map quite early. Noteworthy are a few instances where monsters are behind DR open wait closes like the lost souls I found in MAP10, except I can open their pens this time. Again no cacos? There were quite a few pain elementals but I'm itching for some cacos to find.

Trying to participate more but I haven't felt like doing writeups lately.

Map 11: Logistics

This map has a lot of cool things going for it. The start scenario can play out vastly differently depending which one of several approaches you choose, one of those approaches being 'stay near the start and fight' and the others being running out guns blazing in one of several directions. The rest of the map can play out quite differently from that point, depending on which path you take and which weapons you get at which times. The heavy weapons include the SSG, the RL, and the PR, but you only really need one or two of these weapons. (I completely missed the rocket launcher on my first replay -- replay because I had played these maps months before -- but didn't have any trouble.) Not only that, but the blue armor is situated on the opposite side of the good weapons (except for the RL which is quite dangerous in the tight spaces full of lost souls). This means that a BA-first path has you fighting your way out with the SG and CG for a bit, not so much that it gets tedious though. Pretty smart design, there. I felt really spoiled for choices, which is something Deadwing pulled off nicely. Monsters can roam in this layout very well too. My favorite encounter, despite not being an 'encounter', is that there's a big group of sergeants and commandos that get unleashed and can track you around the level, and the way the item balance is set up, them catching you by surprise can really hurt, so it's quite fun.

Anyway, I played around with a few approaches to making a video but decided that I'd go on a fatso punching brigade. :D Map12 is where the set really kicks off imo.

2 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Overall Episode 2 thoughts: I think while episode 1 took too much to engage, episode 2, while still being fun, doesn't offer enough new settings, since most level's (except for 10) are similar. Gameplay-wise it's more exciting than 1. It introduces the rest of the cast except for the Baron and the Arch-ville, and there's some cool setpieces too, but there's also some annoyances which can hurt the experience, especially on map 9. I think replacing it into a different more open map would help keeping the pace going on.

Hah, since I've joined on (Ancient Aliens) I don't think I've seen a mapper self critique their wad during a DMWC play through quite so honestly/harshly before. You've made some good points there ^_^

5Dmn7NLh.png

MAP11 - "Logistics"

gzDoom - UV – pistol start/no saves

Hah, a pre map load out for a non boss map? Too easy perhaps but I appreciate the willingness to say “look, it’s not a map about finding these things. Get on with it.” Love the oscillating light effect as well.

The demon marble stone square box room with the motion doors was a weird set peice but I liked how it open up and unleashed hell’s fury upon you. Kind of a neat deal thematically, visually and gameplaylly (huh?) by providing more open space to run around in.

The in-between space with all of the boxes had some nice moments with deaf gunners trying to sneak up on you as you pass through it. I liked the added cover in the BK room as well. Good stuff there before getting the SSG. One of two ways to get it on this map. Always enjoyable to have options as it seems going down this way was a bit harsher than veering left from the start.

LOVE that pretty blue with my PG beauty. Speaking of blue, the mods I use gave the white walls next to the water a really nice hue of blue. Looks great! Getting to go outside at the end and transition again to the next episode was cool.

The simple soulsphere was kind of funny. Rewards a player who remembers to go back once they found the YK I suppose.

Really loved the way some of the secrets change texture drastically. Adds a little extra pizzaz, if you will, to the whole “I found a secret!” feel.

I lucked out and had my PG at the ready when I jumped in to that teleport. Whew! Glad I saved my cells.

Killed it. Thanks computer map!!

The Foreigner.

Interesting stuff. Looking forward to what’s next. Perhaps a music shift as well?

MAP12 - Mining Site
ZDoom, UV - PS, KIS(%): 100/94/100

I'm just wondering, but are you tired of casual difficulty so far? Well then here's something different. Instead of small actions inside of techbase, here we have some intermediate monster placements from outside or highly opened basement area, with some hitscanners and mid-tier monsters to make you pay more attention then before. The design of this level kinda reminded me the fourth episode of Ultimate Doom, not just because of its wooden+marble texture usage and skybox, but the challenging difficulty as the first level of episode; remember E4M1 from the original game? But at least this level has a mercy to put a couple of health pickups and a reasonable amount of ammo supplies, so I can't complain. What a start.

MAP08: Revvies! I’ve been missing these skelebros on this adventure. This map was… okay. Dunno if it was just the sewer atmosphere or the path I was on, but I felt like a lot of threats came from immediately ahead of the player, prompting them to play more passively and around corners. Great ammo balance though, I always appreciate being able to use a rocket launcher on a small map such as this.

MAP09: I kinda liked this one—the pistol start was really hot and there were a lot of tricky/sudden fights, most of which involved PEs. The dark area to the bottom soured me on the map though, mainly due to not being able to see hitscanners before they fired, and the specters. I like dark areas now and then but if you’re going to deprive me of health and armor, I’d prefer they be short or merciful… neither of which were really applicable here. Still, the rest of the level was pretty fun, and I continue to be dazzled by Deadwing’s masterful layouts.

MAP10: Aww yeah a nukage level! Had a lot of fun with this one—the nukage really isn’t that scary, but I appreciated having to look around for a radsuit whenever my screen began to flicker. I also really appreciate the strong emphasis on the RL & PG too, as it makes the constant use of beefy enemies negligible since you always have a way to neutralize them quickly. I think being “outside” for this map a nice change of pace too, as wading through the green sludge with a lovely azure night sky above you is a cool contrast.

Two other things I noticed while playing this map that Deadwing does which I love: 1) A lot of the traps are sound activated which is relatively uncommon nowadays (like grabbing the berserk powerup and the enemies only show up once you attack), and 2) the secret areas are a lot more than just “closet with a powerup in it”. Occasionally I’ll spend some time in these level trying to figure out how to get to a secret area, which is something I rarely do in Doom.

MAP11 - Logistics

Kills: 98% Secrets: 50%

A bit of a change of pace here from the past few maps. Not as much run and gun here. The cramped rooms and corridors lends itself to a methodical approach. There's a lot of room for the monsters to wander about which can lead to some ambushes-that-aren't-really-ambushes-I-just-forgot-to-kill-those-monsters-earlier situations. That coupled with copious monster closets leads to a thrilling conclusion to episode 2. 

There are likely a lot of ways to approach this map. I had to run out of chaingun and shotgun ammo before realizing I had picked up a rocket launcher earlier. So forgetful!

Some tough fights in here, too. Difficulty eased off a bit once I got the plasma rifle. That exit room fight nearly got me, but I got some lucky infighting with a mancubus and a hell knight. Saved my skin!

Really looking forward to episode 3, but I'm heading on a week long vacation tomorrow. I'll have to play some catch up when I get back!

MAP12
I like change of map theme, kinda E4-ish in some places. Music also fitting.
For those who thinks about previous maps are looking same, they should look at MAP12.
And finally monsters are got me, because of hurrying/panicking and felt into collapsed floor. I need to be careful next time.
I'm started to getting lost and at last found blue key layed in small slime lake. Though, arachnotrons guarding this key appeared too late.
Red key ambush can block your way from the cave, also, probably some hitscanners are released on another side of map.

MAP12 | E3-1: Mining Site

100% kills, 2/2 secrets

Change of theme into brown town. Actually, the theme is still a bit hectic - some tech bits here, lots of brown stone, some marble/vines, and of course rocky caverns given the name. I expect this will continue for at least a bit to follow along with the "hell slowly creeping in" effect Deadwing mentioned in regards to last level. This is another one that's tough from a pistol start, especially if you happen to choose a route that doesn't have the SSG (thankfully I spotted it after a couple of early deaths). There are a lot of different routes though, and the map is actually quite open - after playing through normally, I was able to do a speedrun in 43 seconds on my first try, so this one may be a fun one for speedrunners. Fights at the end are also similar to last map, with the red key leading to being in a trench with fireballers suddenly above, and then hitscanners being released into other areas of the map to wander towards you.

One part I did really like and wanted to mention was the placement of the blue key. Designed to be completely overlooked hidden in the slime pit, only for the player to get inside the base, see a seemingly unnecessary radsuit, then walk up the steps and look back only to now see that gleaming blue skull in plain sight. Cool stuff.

Dangit.  I'm away from home for a week and I brought the wrong savegame with me.  I shall try to catch up once I am back home next weekend.

MAP12, E3-1: Mining Site

Another change of theme here to mark the start of the new episode, from industrial grime to a more naturalistic setting with hewn and unworked stone and wooden buildings sprawling over a pretty substantial chunk of infested real estate.  The start's a fairly hot one, with imp turrets, wandering shotgunners, and a mancubus all quickly waking up to focus their fire on new arrivals, though I'm left feeling here that the standout monsters are the arachnotrons that dominate some of the map's larger areas.  I think both the outdoor area with the toxic sump (from which you're charged with retrieving the blue key) and the indoor stone-and-vines area are some of the largest open spaces we've seen in the WAD so far, and between that central excavation and the various tunnels that twist around each other to form the eastern end of the map, this is a pleasant (and pleasantly different) level to explore indeed.  Part of me is quite tempted to replay the map with foreknowledge of its layout and see just how much of its area (and monster population) can be skipped over entirely - the blue key is readily accessible right from the start, and it seems like a player with speed on their mind could grab that, hustle quickly to the red key and back, and circumvent most of the central areas of the map.  Which isn't a complaint at all, I like the flexibility to approach maps in different ways and with different sets of priorities.

MAP12 Mining Site

Major theme shift again, this time away from the orthogonal bases and dealing with more rocky outdoor portions. Surprisingly, I don't like the centerpiece of this map, mostly because apart from shooting monsters across the nukage river, there's not much in excitement. Another factor may be that SSG lift which is only possible to lower twice, although it could be raised any time. Most of my excitement stemmed from the teleport ambushes where the blue and red keys are. Especially the red key. I got bit by...a cacodemon! Yay! Finally they have returned. And I found two more as I reached for the exit. Although if you are playing on ITYTD/HNTR, guess what? Still no cacos. But finally we see them again.

Map 12: Mining Site

Deadwing's typical combat using low monster counts is more dangerous in cramped spaces, but these open layouts are more fun to move around in and are also more appealing visually than the earlier maps. I'm noticing a fondness for teleporters that send you into distant areas of the map. This has a somewhat artificial feel -- the alternate physical routes feel a lot more elegant -- but these maps are stronger for it, I believe. Magnusblitz and TheOrganGrinder are spot-on about the speedrun potential. I tried some of the earlier maps pacifist and they tend to be quite painful that way, but this one is a lot more lenient due to the more spacious scale. The two key traps are entirely teleporter-based and thus can be avoided entirely by not firing. That isn't bad design, because the accumulated hitscanner fire while rushing through the map will kill you more often than the fights played straight-up.

Pleasant map overall.

Edited by rdwpa

gjkx5sFh.png

MAP12 - "Mining Site"

gzDoom - UV – pistol start/no saves

Wow. This was some awesome stuff underneath an orange sky. Like it. I died a few times and had no one to blame but myself really. Thumbs up! You go from starting each of the past 11 maps inside a safe zone, so to speak, and here you’re thrown out in the open surrounded by baddies. LoL. Nice change of pace. I ran around like crazy my first go and tripped hard over the SSG trap, haha. Nice one. That was a fun scramble. Did okay too until I underestimated the HK’s sprinkled in this map.

Exploring the inner area past the crater with the BK was a lot of fun. The vines and caves and it’s weird minimalist secret area with hiding imps and much needed ammo. I breathed a sigh of relief once I finally found the PG. I was scraping for pick ups pretty hard until that point as this is an enemy dense map for sure. I was pretty drained after that RK fight in the watery cave system. Yikes. Fun stuff though.

The other secret I missed until the end of the map. Was a cool climb to the top but I am not a fan of invisibility spheres. That reward was not worth it IMO. Then again, it would’ve been useful I suppose with all of the shotgun guys taking cracks at me from afar.

Lots of lost souls too. They have a tendency to eat my ammo, and my health when I was too busy with everything else checking my health limits. Pesky buggers.

I really liked the use of shadows on these pillars. Nicely done detail makes the RL pick up a little extra special.

Hell of a start for the next episode. I really enjoyed it. Hope it’s like what @rdwpa mentioned earlier, that this is where things start to really pick up because this was pretty stellar action.

Map 12: Finally some change of pace! haha Originally I was going with the eclipse maps then I would map something else, but at this point I felt the need to explore something more interesting instead of keeping with more and more techbases lol (I was a huge fan of techbases back in 2005 haha), so I created episode 3 which would be a nice break and I think it would flow better. In episode 3, I started mapping the levels in serial (4 in total) instead of making one level at each. So I first made the geometry of the 4 levels, then decoration, then monster placement, etc. Not sure what are the results, bar avoiding saturation, but I think episode 3 is second favorite episode of this wad (the best for me is 5, which was made the same way and worst is 4 lol).

Anyway, the idea of this level was to create a mining site, which is shown mostly in the big cracter in the central area and the cave, and then add 2 facitilities: one more like for cientific research and another wooden which would be like a place where workers would stay when not mining lol. The level is also heavily hell corrupted, with lots of marble and the orange sky which create an E4 vibe. Of course, these were only the base for building it, because the end result is much more abstract haha

Gameplay wise, the level throws away a setup from the beginning and the player has to think fast, but it's not too much frantic, and after you kill some hitscanners and let some in-fighting happen, things gets fine. The central area can be quite challenging, especially if you get the SS route and wake up the pain elemental. There's also more space now, which gives freedom to monsters to attack and the player to move, but he always need to be careful because of the hitscanners and lost souls which are always pesking around.

Since this level is not remixed, here a playthrough of mine of it :P

(video will be avaliable soon)

BTW, awesome speedrun @rdwpa D:

MAP13 - The Village
ZDoom, UV - PS, KIS(%): 100/100/100

The beginning seems softer than the previous one, but don't judge the book by its cover. While the major threats are pretty similar to the previous one, some mid-tier monsters around and hitscanners in the blind spots, this level offers you a godsphere to help you deal with the bigger problem. That being said, don't be tempted to grab the powerup too soon unless you're ready with your trusty SSG or plasma rifle. And there's one minor complaining, but it would be better if sector 28 and sector 151(both sector share the same properties, except the effect) were joined together, just to make sure that the player has found the secret area. Other than that, there's nothing much to concern about this one. The overall gameplay and layout are pretty good, as always, so just enjoy another medium-sized level for the next 10 minutes.

MAP11: Logistics

Time: 6:35

A very non-linear , compact Map with lots of Texture Variation. The Goal is to find 2 Keys leading to a quite hard End Fight. This Map has some strong "Hell on Earth" feels with abstract Layout, fitting Textures and good Monster and Item Placement. Again we see much Mancubi and Arachnotrons ^^ Until now you don't get to see much Revenants (most people are probably happy about that). I sometimes really got a little bit lost... which is great cause it shows this Map really is non-linear and open. My favourite part were the Yellow Key pickup, cause it was difficult but great fun with the plasmarifle and the Outdoor Area near End. It was just awesome to see the Base from outside :)

MAP07 - "Industrial Zone"

first manc & tron encounter, although the map doesn't use their special tags. i didn't miss this cliche. it's some interconnected base with some tnt-like look that offers more than just one approach to one problem. difficulty increases markedly over the  rather gentle first episode, it's nothing too rough, but one has to take care of the overlapping firing arcs of the arachnotrons (i caught some plasma from afar where i didn't see it coming and continued much more careful). the rocket launcher is the best tool to get rid of some spider ambushes for which the ssg would be too slow, and gets just enough ammo.

MAP08 - "Sewers"

so, this is a bigger underhalls? it certainly has similar looks, but it's much bigger , and, again, more complex, with more space to move and tackle the opposition. which includes the first revenants. however, i looked for enemies hiding behind corners, and defused all traps, which seemed to be made to catch less careful players. oh yeah and i made the same mistake as magnusblitz by taking the hallway to the right first and missing the ssg, which would have made my life much easier. whatever, now perhaps i'm cooler because i managed without  :p

MAP09 - "Delta Labs Industrial Research"

the part with the cross-shaped corridors is pretty straightforward, but the dark part wasn't my favorite because of the flashing lights. they're good for a headache. i found the goggles but didn't pick them up, thinking i'll need them later. big mistake. of course, the timed door forces the player to run into that room possibly holding the wrong weapon for the job, i saw that coming and switched to plasma at the last moment, but still got away bruised because i couldn't see much (for darkness and my own fire). neat trick, the revenant distracts the player and the hidden chaingunners get the kill. sure, i would have looked better at this point if i didn't waste health trying to straferun to the soulsphere on the pole, this does not seem to be fast enough.

MAP10 - "Toxic Treatment"

this map gets to the point quickly: here's your gear and your radsuit, make your way through a facility halfway covered in nukage. the slimy stuff seems to be the natural habitat for mancubi, doom3-like. nicely interconnected map, as i realized when wall lowering or flooding areas lets one get from one point to another.

usually, my first reaction at maps with damaging floors is: bleh. my reaction when i finished this map: cool. this because radsuits are spread generously over your way through the facility and deadwing estimated pretty well how far one gets at the first try with one suit, at least i did most fighting before the suit ran out and didn't take much damage from the green stuff. my biggest problem was navigating the thing and avoiding areas where i had already used the suits. in the end, i did use up the suits around while trying to get back to the yellow door, but the soulsphere took me to the exit at over 100. there's enough health overall to keep you going, if you don't run headlong into traps (again, those chaingunners waiting behind doors and corners, check those right away when entering a room). the radsuit timer speeds up gameplay, as it forces you to rush forward instead of camping doors, and there's also enough plasma to make short work of any surprise manc.

map11 fda

this map is freaking fantastic. its got a good crate maze, enemies from all sides, a hectic start, cool secrets (yes i am biased because i found them all leave me alone) and you almost constantly feel like youre under siege without it feeling unfair. brilliant stuff.

MAP13 | E3-2: The Village

100% kills, 3/3 secrets

This one had a very odd flow to it... while its similar to last map (some one-way blind drops, multiple ways in and out of other areas, some large outdoor chunks with windowed areas nearby) I constantly found myself getting a bit lost. Didn't even remember where I picked up the blue key immediately after playing! The first part of the map was me frantically running around trying to find the super shotgun, and then the second half was slowly whittling everything down. I think I had 100 of the 115ish monsters dead before I finally found the yellow key and said "okay time to actually finish the level." Very ammo stringent, this one (and to be honest had I not found the secrets, one of which is admittedly in plain sight, I'm not sure how my ammo would've been by end of the level).

MAP13
The brown rock theme is continued. And it's not looks like village.
I like those texture mishmash, kinda of crooked realm. May be monsters turned village to this.
The invul. sphere area contained surprise for me. And I spends all cells for that, but have 50 rockets.
There are not much new textures in this wad. I don't know cause why author won't used some cool textures from Realm667 as example. Anyway, in my opinion Doom 2 have texture sets almost for all occasions, unlike Doom 1, which lacked good textures as example, for outside areas.

Map 13: The Village

This feels like an oldschool 'city' map, like something I'd see in MM. The sparing use of other assets to complement Doom2.wad's also gives me that vibe. There's even a section of rock wall that can be casually used as a hydraulic door, a pretty oldschool thing I associate with sets like TNT. The defining gameplay feature here is the optional cyberdemon. This first cyberdemon is quite a surprise, since monsters have been introduced gradually and archviles have yet to appear. Unleashing it early gives you an Infighting Buddy™ -- mostly useful for stomping around and killing random things than any more focused destruction -- and lots and lots of rockets to use at a time when high-test ammo will be relatively tight. The invul atop the steps isn't necessary for survival in any particular encounter, a type of invul use I like because it introduces some problem-solving with regard to maximizing its effectiveness. With foreknowledge, you can use it to grab the yellow key and avoid all of the associated combat.

Since Deadwing is doing conventional playthroughs for the current maps now, I'll try to do some more offbeat runs. Pacifist running is doable but more dangerous than in map12. The faster secret path to the blue key is stonewalled by monsters a lot, and the standard roundabout route exposes you to lots of hitscanner fire.