Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Predict the Rotten Tomatoes score for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot

Jaws In Space said:

So I just saw it and I thought it was okay. The first few minutes of the film are pretty well done and they nicely combine comedy and horror just like the original films. Things did go down hill once the character of Holtzmann, played by Kate McKinnon, was introduced. While the other 3 main leads mesh pretty well and all provide a good bit of comedy almost everything Holtzman does just falls completely flat and she really does bring down the whole film down a bit. As far as the other characters go Chris Hemsworth character Kevin is overly dumb and unbelievable, but does provide for a few laughs at least. The main villain Rowan, is pretty uninteresting and doesn't leave much of an impression. Many of the cast from the original films make small cameos in the new movie, the best of which was Dan Aykroyd as a cabbie.

Overall the film is pretty funny, but it does really pale in comparison to the original, one of the bigger issues this film had was that it's pacing was a bit off. The middle of this film really dragged quite a bit & I found that there was too much techno jargon in it. In the original films they might have a line or 2 about how the technology & paranormal stuff works, but in this film they go a bit overboard, it's all just nonsense anyways so why even try to make sense of it in the first place. One aspect of this film that I did like over the original is an expanded arsenal beyond just the proton packs.

Going into this film I didn't expect this movie to be the abysmal disaster that everyone was saying it was going to be, but I also didn't think it was going to be great either. In the end I got exactly what I expected, a retelling of Ghostbusters that had it's fair share of laughs & scares, but wasn't nearly as good as the original.

I think you're the first person I've heard say anything bad about Kate McKinnon. I'm just going to say it, Jillian Holtzman is my definitive favourite Ghostbuster. She was easily my favourite aspect of the movie.

Though this probably isn't fair to judge by appearances, is it just me or does Melissa McCarthy's character look like a stereotypical Feminist? Like, the very image in many's people's heads when they think of a typical Feminist on Tumblr.

MetroidJunkie said:

Though this probably isn't fair to judge by appearances, is it just me or does Melissa McCarthy's character look like a stereotypical Feminist? Like, the very image in many's people's heads when they think of a typical Feminist on Tumblr.

Nah. Lacks the neon-dyed hair and piercings. She's simply playing herself, as usual.

Ajora said:

I think you're the first person I've heard say anything bad about Kate McKinnon. I'm just going to say it, Jillian Holtzman is my definitive favourite Ghostbuster. She was easily my favourite aspect of the movie.

Really? The "is it the wig or the hat" person?

Haters gonna hate.

Going to see it tonight... not really expecting anything great like the first Ghostbusters flick, but not expecting anything near terrible that the internet would have you believe.

I'd expect it to be on par with or slightly better than Ghostbusters 2, which was "ok" in my book.

I don't understand the problem everyone had with 2. I liked it. The actors were as good as ever and the jokes were all on point. Not a weak line in the film. Was it just the story everyone had a problem with? I thought it was pretty natural for a GB plot.

MusicallyInspired said:

I don't understand the problem everyone had with 2. I liked it. The actors were as good as ever and the jokes were all on point. Not a weak line in the film. Was it just the story everyone had a problem with? I thought it was pretty natural for a GB plot.

I find that most people hated how similar the plot was to the original film, they both are quite close and share a number of the same type of scenes, like do we really need the mayor rejecting the help of the Ghostbusters in both films?

Personally I love the 2nd film and think the cast and jokes were just as great in Ghostbusters 2 and I think all the hate is rather undeserved.

After 25 years Ghostbusters finally returns to the big screen. This time Abbey Yates, Patty Tolan, Erin Gilbert, and Jillian Holtzman are investigating the paranormal and saving the world. With no connection to the original, the film is a remake of the 1984 film but ultimately can’t decide what kind of movie it wants to be; does it want to be a Ghostbusters film or does it want to be a Paul Feig comedy with ghosts.

The trailers for this film did it no justice, it’s not nearly the trainwreck shown in the previews on TV or released online. The lead actresses do a decent job with their performances and there is a genuine sense of camaraderie between them. I enjoyed Leslie Jones’ performance more than expected and, beyond a few cringe-worthy moments, does a fair job as the fourth recruit on the team. Kate McKinnon hams it up a little much but is ultimately enjoyable and Melissa Mcarthy is serviceable in her role. Kristen Wiig is the least entertaining character who just feels lost among the group and her lovestruck act around Hemsworth does nothing to endear her character. Ghostbusters was an ensemble film and the new film manages to capture that element of Ghostbusters.

The visuals are your standard summer blockbuster affair; there’s nothing outstanding or awful about the 3d effects in this film. Ghostbusters was a special effects spectacle and the new film captures the big-budget visuals well enough in its own way. They’ve got proton beams, traps, frightening ghosts, and every other checklist needed to say they’ve made a ‘Ghostbuster’ movie.

Attempting to replicate the Ghostbusters formula, the new film is also a comedy but this is where the film really starts to falter; the jokes are really hit or miss. The movie is a barrage of comedy going for the gag-a-minute style and ultimately landing a few genuinely funny moments among the plethora of jokes that ultimately fail. Everyone in this film is acting for laughs and there are rarely any characters in the film who aren’t complete fools for the camera. Dialog is spoken to the audience to let them know the actor is in on the joke reminding you that this is a comedy and they’re speaking their lines in a funny way. Nobody in the film acts like a real person and it is genuinely difficult to be engrossed in a world where everyone is a caricature and playing the court jester.

One of the films worst qualities is that when Ghostbusters’ jokes fail, they fail hard and are painful to watch. You could feel the collective cringe of moviegoers everywhere when the Ghostbusters shoot the final villain in his crotch and he grabs his ghost-balls writhing in agony. Ozzy Osbourne making a joke about being high at a rock concert from seeing a ghost, Mr. and Ms. Slimer (complete with Ms. Pacman bow), and lines like “say hello to my little friend”, are so bad you wonder how any competent director thought they should be in this movie.

Despite some absolutely atrocious jokes, the film holds together for the first two acts until the third when it completely falls off the rails; the third act is a complete mess. Your suspension of disbelief is tested when they break every ‘rule’ set out earlier in the film and a couple of deus ex machinas later they manage to stop the end villain. There’s no explanation prior in the film for anything that happens in act three; the villain gains special ghost powers other ghosts don’t have, they invented a trap earlier to catch ghosts… but apparently it’s not needed because you can just use a ghost wood-chipper or throw them at each other like bowling balls. Between ninja ghostbusting moves and a ghost dance number, the last third of the film is more Scooby-Doo than Ghostbusters. Zoinks!

I think the biggest tragedy of the new Ghostbusters film is that, somewhere, in the mess, is a good reimagining of Ghostbusters. Unfortunately, the new film can’t decide if it want to be a spiritual successor to the original film or a Paul Feig comedy with ghosts. The movie is riddled with tacky cameo appearances and references to the original films in, what I assume, was studio meddling. Bill Murray’s character is utterly pointless to the film’s plot, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson’s cameos are worth a chuckle but ridiculously forced, and Sigourney Weaver’s cameo is beyond pointless. The new film is constantly reminding you that this is a remake and a better version of this film was already made 30 years ago.

Ghostbusters 2016 needed to decide whether to be a completely solo affair with no connection to the originals or a genuine sequel including the original cast (setting up that modern cinematic universe everyone is trying to create). As it stands it’s just some hideous Ghostbusters Chimera. As stated previously, lurking inside this film is a surprise remake that had the potential to be a clever reimagining of the original film. If the goal was to be a Paul Feig comedy with ghosts, mission accomplished, but, by taking the name “Ghostbusters” and littering it with references to the 1984 film, it ultimately must be compared to the original. Gone is the dry wit and comedy of the original replaced with slapstick dick, butt, and fart jokes. Ghostbusters 2016 tried so hard to remind you about Ghostbusters 1984 that it forgot to be its own film.

The new Ghostbusters is a decent, but ultimately forgettable summer popcorn flick which had the makings to be something much better.

Yup good review Scuba Steve. You seem sincere about it and the criticisms seem fairly consistent with the others.

2 Snorkels! :D

Why can't Oreos just release a variety pack? Like... five cookies that are mint, five are strawberry, five are vanilla etc. that would be sweet.

The only GB2016 review that you need to read.

Well played.

MetroidJunkie said:

pretty sure i don't think i look like melissa mccarthy

mrthejoshmon said:

Wow. That post explains so much...

This post explains more

(I'm actually somewhat confused)

rileymartin said:

No way in hell is it getting a 60%. Also, you're a senior member on a site for a 20 year old game. Yeah, you're not a nerd buddy.

I think ANYBODY who goes into a DoomWorld Internet forum to quarrel over a movie is a bit nerdy to begin with.

Perhaps PureSlime and I should combine our bodies together, we would look like Melissa McCarthy and satisfy the feminist category