Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP (Development Thread)

When you’re actually playtesting, Make sure you run it with rudy2v6.wad as the resource (Rudyres.wad only works with editors). Hopefully that will do the trick.

I do think a dedicated discord is a good idea. I’m hardly on and only have limited access to my PC right now with all the bushfire alerts going on but a central place to discuss things would be swell.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:46 AM, Doomkid said:

The lack of a caution texture is a totally valid complaint, absolutely will add one in the next build. Screenshot looks really nice!

You could make one out of the existing CAUTI flat. Pretty easy really and can zap that together if ye like.

It is possible to match up CAUTI and BIGDOOD1 like this if the sector isn't too high.

yqRK4iT.png

I did make a flat that goes with that A-DROCK2 texture.

adbrok2.png.bf56a73e156af0f2f15bf429a71ba225.png

Looks like this in the editor. At least it's a better match than what we have. If you don't want to use that tho, that's fine. ;)

54kDdgJ.jpg

On 1/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, Doom_Dude said:

You could make one out of the existing CAUTI flat. Pretty easy really and can zap that together if ye like.

It is possible to match up CAUTI and BIGDOOD1 like this if the sector isn't too high.

yqRK4iT.png

I did make a flat that goes with that A-DROCK2 texture.

adbrok2.png.bf56a73e156af0f2f15bf429a71ba225.png

Looks like this in the editor. At least it's a better match than what we have. If you don't want to use that tho, that's fine. ;)

54kDdgJ.jpg

SO MUCH YES

On 1/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, Doom_Dude said:

On 1/4/2020 at 1:06 AM, Doomkid said:

When you’re actually playtesting, Make sure you run it with rudy2v6.wad as the resource (Rudyres.wad only works with editors). Hopefully that will do the trick.

I do think a dedicated discord is a good idea. I’m hardly on and only have limited access to my PC right now with all the bushfire alerts going on but a central place to discuss things would be swell.

Your in Aus? Damn, sorry to hear about that fires and stuff lately man. Stay safe, if you want in the meantime I can make the discord server. Ill post a link here in a few

Just got internet and power back last night - I’m probably going to be AWOL-ish for a couple weeks so I welcome you to create the discord and share the link here. I’ll be around whenever I can though of course!

sluggard, those screens look very slick, looking forward to giving that map a blast through.

Doom_Dude, that rock flat is perfect - absolutely getting bundled into the next build.

Ok kewl DoomKid (with the textures that is). ;) Stay safe out there man.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Nice fist action there @DavidN. ;)

Got heaps done on my map today. Just gotta set up how I want the exit layout and do some monster placement stuffs.

dEYkpAb.jpg

VYjUu0P.jpg

Excellent! I spent last night without power but now it’s back on. I’m gonna take an opportunity to play/feedback sluggard’s map and perhaps even compile a new build with l the latest map versions. So glad to see everyone chipping away at this!

Thanks for playing @DavidN I watched your gameplay and solved the issues you mentioned, hopefully it's in a better state now :) (link is the same) you might want to re-download it @Doomkid before you try it lol (sorry about that) or include the new version in the new build if you decide that, looking forward to hear what you think of it.

Edited by sluggard

Hay DoomKid. Here is a couple more flats. One to go with the green camo and the brown rock. Also I took the CAUTI texture and double slapped it on a wall. Oh and also a green Slad flat I made months ago that goes very well with the green Slad textures. Would be very grateful if you could add these to the next build. Thanks man. :)

abdrok3.png.570bdd452907f80573ecf6f749d61342.pngcamo_cn1.png.9dfb29b16c526708f4d43de5532fd004.pngSLAD_GR1.png.94b5aa277af7d0f12f182684be71fc2e.pngCAUTI_01.png.72b1fc1b7e2fd233bc50cf0564f29603.png

I don't need any credit for these (including that previous flat). The rock and camo flats I used the original Plutonia ones Jimmy editied as a base. The Slad one is modified from Doom 2 and I have no idea who made that caution flat. It's not from Plutonia...

Im sorry I haven’t been more active in this thread - all of my Doomworlding this last week has been from my phone while on public transport or in a hotel room. I just don’t want anyone to think I’ve gone AWOL on the project. About to take a long bus ride, perfect opportunity to watch David’s playthroughs!

Those extra flats are great by the way, Doom_Dude - thanks for continuing to fill in these little holes in the resource pack!

Hay no problem Doomkid! Glad to be of help. :)

I'm in no hurry, as per usual. ;) I took a wee break from my map to hack at some of my other maps. I'll be getting back on it in a day or so.

Got some notes from watching David’s video:

- 5 berzerks on one map is ridiculous, no idea why I added so many. All but one could be stimpacks.

- Zig Zag slime bridge raises higher than it should resulting in visual weirdness.

- Exit door looks all squished and crappy, just needs to be repositioned and aligned with more care.

- As for map07, the only issue seemed to be an overly-abrupt ending and maybe the secret with the crates should really only feature one “old” crate using the default textures.

I cracked up at the “I’ll do that.. tomorrow” at the end of the video. Looking forward to your playthrough of that nail-biter map!

And here it is :)

Genuinely glad to hear you're doing all right - I know things are rough there. The Discord's been pretty good for finding out who's still mapping - hopefully you'll have a fairly decent library of maps to come back to :)

Speaking of Discord, the invite posted earlier in this thread does not seem to be working for me. Could a new one be posted, or at least sent as a PM? Or if someone can contact me on Discord directly with one, that'd be great!

A new permanent public link would be ideal so that anyone interested can join, please do feel free to post it here

My map was finished since ages but i forgot about it :/

It was tested / maxed on all 3 difficulties (not ITYTD/NM) and visplane explorer reports no errors even with all doors/lifts opened, it's map is pretty hard on UV so maybe that should go into the secret slot (or i add more ammo :p)

Music: map01 (if it's not in use) otherwise I find something else

The beginning and end can be changed to lead in to the next/previous levels they're just generic right now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2sa6o776no7zf/death_god's_shrine.wad?dl=0

zDYZFDp.png

Zti9ys3.png

@xdarkmasterx Ohh yes, yes, yessss. I really loved this level. Finished with 100% kills, items, and secrets in about 13 minutes on Expert. This map... is definitely not for everyone, but personally, it's exactly the kind of thing that gets me all hot and bothered. It's an exciting rush from beginning to end. Ammo is very tight on Expert, but, I think it's close to being perfect the way it is on that front. HP seemed fair, as well. Though, I'm not sure if there's enough ammo to deal with the Invul secret at the beginning of the map (I ended up skipping it, and going through the whole map and coming back to it at the end, which made the Invul sphere itself completely useless). I'll probably re-play the map though, and just see if I can't get the thing near the beginning, cause it would certainly come in handy for that first drop to the red key. 

As for the visuals, I thought the map was beautiful. There was a simple, consistent theme and tone, executed well. I especially loved the look of the lower cavern area with the blue door, and all of the skulls sunk into the rocky formations, as though the entire area were built upon a mountain of skulls and bones.

Kudos on this level. Yeah, it might be suited for a secret map, but I'd certainly love to see it as the final map or something, or perhaps the penultimate if there's already a planned finale.

I'd be happy to record a demo of this, as well, if people are interested.

Powertripppppppppppppppppppppp! Now working on the end portion of my map, which is this twisty, maze-ish, cavern place.

YtBeOjY.jpg

And Rowdy Rudy ventured into the serpentine caves and was never the same since.

Got a lot done in a short time. If I could edit Doom like this all the time, id be less of a doom slacker. ;)

1XvAOa7.jpg

Here is my map --->grimsector.zip

Made it as map13 but don't mind where it ends up in the map order. Calling it Grim Sector. It ended up being a bit longer than what I planned.. The start and exit are all set for DoomKid to do what he needs to set up. Some flats will be changed once DoomKid gets around to adding them, but that won't take long to fix up.

zy0BwgV.jpg

Edited by Doom_Dude

Hey fellas, I’m still in a computerless situation for now, but I just want to say I’m loving the look of both Doom_Dude and xdarkmasterx’s maps. I’m going crazy not having access to Slade or DB right now.. I cannot wait to compile the next updated beta, the number of high quality maps just keeps going up.

Hopefully you'll be able to get back to normal soon Doomkid. Meanwhile, we'll keep making stuff so you'll go nuts and have a million things on your desk to sort out. ;)