Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate TNT from memory! (Community Project)(Closed)

Okay, here is the first second version of  MAP20.zip- First day at work. 

The hardest part was getting the proportions right in  the outside part -  I got stuck on that for some time. 

However, I am not sure about the difficulty - it may be a bit overboard in some places.  I can tweak it a bit later based on the feedback if it´s too much.  

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20220129-165038.png

Screenshot-Doom-20220129-165111.png

Screenshot-Doom-20220129-165154.png

Screenshot-Doom-20220129-165237.png

Edited by Kloki38 : WAD edit - fixed a couple of HOMs and a stuck former sergeant

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I dropped the ball both times on the previous projects, but I'm so glad to see TNT getting the treatment, good stuff Engired, and excellent pics there Wavy.

To be fair, even making (simple) content for Doom can end up taking way more time than one may originally think before going in to a project.  I've learned that lesson myself the hard way.

5 hours ago, Rycuz said:

unknown.png
@Engired Is this fine? I mean the sign doesn't exist in original TNT map.

If you do REMEMBER that this sign didn't exist in the original, why add this?

25 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

If you do REMEMBER that this sign didn't exist in the original, why add this?

Yeah, kinda goes against the project's spirit imo. Previous ones got a lot of flak because of stuff like this. 

Edited by Thelokk

Alright, first (dont mind the edit) version of map 3.

I might have made the level a little harder than the original.

Let me know if there are any issues I guess.

there is still a visual bug in one of the corners in the map room (only on crispy doom). And I dont really know what is causing it.

tnt-map03-from_memory.zip

Edited by BauwenDR : Fixed issue with crispy doom compatability

My version, according to the wiki, so far has a third of the linedefs and things of the original. Guess it shows how memorable the map was... 

I'm looking forward for this project. I love TNT as much as Doom 1 & 2 which means I remember every map from it too

I'll start working on MAP22: Habitat once I finish my take on E4M4: Unruly Evil, which I'm about 50% of the way done with.

Here's Map19

TNTMemoryMap19.zip

Not sure if the truck and the ladders are okay but I can change them if necessary :P

Tested with crispy doom, dsda-doom and gzdoom

Spoiler

DOOM0000.png

I'll take Map 11.

I honestly don't recall much of TNT's maps, but I quickly popped open the Doom wiki page/map overview on a few of the unclaimed maps and I recognize this one. Building a crate maze ought to be fun.

What are the technical rules? UDMF, vanilla compatible, etc? Do you want the PWAD submitted as MAP01, or should it be in the proper slot?

Death's Bells have successfully (?) evolved into I Hear Death, But Where Are The Bells?

iheardeath.rar

Doing this was harder than I thought it would be. I somehow even missed a whole 10 seconds from the original song and I can't figure out what it is?

Music for MAP01/MAP09.

The drums are probably all kinds of messed up, but I tried to make it sound good. Also, I only tried to approximate the guitar solos. I wanted to focus on making the structure right.

Link

Original for comparison:

Edited by bofu

Did my best trying to re-create Mill.

NGL I forgot just how complex Mill was for a map. I think it's one of TNT's better maps since it actually looked like the devs put some thought into it.

If anyone wants to see a little bit before playing, here ya go!

Spoiler

Mill01.jpg.bb79415b1fdba7d575e905d588985a63.jpg

Starting room

Mill02.jpg.1b8452572b8897078205310b4f00a777.jpg

Beware the archvile! :o

Dyna_MAP18.zip

On 2/1/2022 at 1:13 AM, aRottenKomquat said:

I'll take Map 11.

I honestly don't recall much of TNT's maps, but I quickly popped open the Doom wiki page/map overview on a few of the unclaimed maps and I recognize this one. Building a crate maze ought to be fun.

What are the technical rules? UDMF, vanilla compatible, etc? Do you want the PWAD submitted as MAP01, or should it be in the proper slot?

Limit removing, and I don't care if the map is in the correct slot.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:13 AM, aRottenKomquat said:

I'll take Map 11.

Here's my submission. Doom2-compatible PWAD and I put the map in slot 11 already. Tested with Crispy Doom and GZDoom. Difficulties are generally implemented, and there are multiplayer-only monsters and items but I did not test multiplayer. I'm open to any suggestions if there are balance issues and such.

I went back and played the real map afterwards. Wow. I missed a lot of detail! I think I remembered it being more bland. But that's what makes projects like this fun.

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220201_154605.png.109902ff0bd71c166650327233139cc4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220201_154613.png.cb4a15a49dcea9d41c0166beb0d226cb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220201_154626.png.f56a47d4d8db9d731038a31ee471662b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220201_154631.png.567eec978f41758c03bbed5ddf046004.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220201_154647.png.c94dedce14aa52c8a1b1ae58dd80f1ab.png

tnt_MAP11.wad.zip

8 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

I went back and played the real map afterwards. Wow. I missed a lot of detail! I think I remembered it being more bland. But that's what makes projects like this fun.

Adding on to this, if anyone thinks I should go back and add more detail without changing the feel of the map, I can certainly do that. I was specifically avoiding John Romero's rules of map design because I recalled TNT being bland. But I may have went too bland. (It's been probably 15 years since I've played TNT).

Went back and made some changes to Cold Subtleness, so here's the final version. I'm taking the opportunity to make it somewhat fitting for how I remember MAP14 as well as just how I remember the song in general, though with a creative flair.

subtlycold.zip

I might take another map to work on. I'm overall very proud of the work I'm doing with E4M4 and want to continue.

I'm now 75% of the way done with Unruly Evil. All I need to do now is the final room, which will be the most difficult room to recreate.

3 minutes ago, A.o.D. said:

Monitoring this project in hopes of a truly epic DISASTER AREA

I'm already doing MAP22: Habitat.