Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2023 - Uploaded!

4 hours ago, shroomzy5000 said:

Okay you right - OGG is the truth.  I can notice a difference when listening to just the raw audio file but that's probably just because I have a trained ear.  No way to tell the difference when youre in there killing demons!

OGG dropped map size down to 14.8mb and i didnt have to compromise by removing one of the song files :)

image.png.f53dc3d5fa3841a56f400ffe4ead0d30.png

Really appreciate you.  The file size was the biggest thing preventing me from launch, but now that this is good to go, im setting up the google drive to launch now!

I will make an offical launch post and also circle back to this thread to submit the map!

Thank you guys so much!

No worries!! And yeah, some aspects of the song may get affected by the compression but it should never sound too different unless you're exporting at 32kbps and any small changes usuallywouldn't get noticed in-game anyways. 14mb is still pretty big for one music file so if possible, depending on the WAD, try to keep the size around 5mb. I try to limit how many instruments I use in one song in order to do that. :D 

4 minutes ago, Phoenyx said:

No worries!! And yeah, some aspects of the song may get affected by the compression but it should never sound too different unless you're exporting at 32kbps and any small changes usuallywouldn't get noticed in-game anyways. 14mb is still pretty big for one music file so if possible, depending on the WAD, try to keep the size around 5mb. I try to limit how many instruments I use in one song in order to do that. :D 

I can tell you right now the size is 100% my fault because i never wrote a "video game" song before, all the songs in my wads come from mine and a friends metal project, so i naievely thought that to achieve all the looping, an 11 min song would be appropriate. yeah so im not gonna do that again lol

49 minutes ago, shroomzy5000 said:

I can tell you right now the size is 100% my fault because i never wrote a "video game" song before, all the songs in my wads come from mine and a friends metal project, so i naievely thought that to achieve all the looping, an 11 min song would be appropriate. yeah so im not gonna do that again lol

Oh yeah, the length is definitely also a major factor into the size haha. That sounds really cool though, I think it might be better for a single-map WAD rather than for a community project because obviously with c-projects, there's a lot more maps from a lot more people who may also use OGGs and that would unnecessarily balloon the total file size of the whole WAD. So yeah, I wouldn't say never do it again, I would just recommend using your longer metal songs for shorter solo mapping projects ^-^

2 minutes ago, Phoenyx said:

Oh yeah, the length is definitely also a major factor into the size haha. That sounds really cool though, I think it might be better for a single-map WAD rather than for a community project because obviously with c-projects, there's a lot more maps from a lot more people who may also use OGGs and that would unnecessarily balloon the total file size of the whole WAD. So yeah, I wouldn't say never do it again, I would just recommend using your longer metal songs for shorter solo mapping projects ^-^

I actually had this map finished before I was even aware of the community project.  Definitely intended as a solo project, and i might be misunderstanding this project?  I thought people were just kind of throwing their maps in, based on that first post by obsidian, more or less just submitted mine since i released it today and it seemed to fit the bill, but i completely agree with what you are saying.  I didn't think the maps being made were necessarily made for the project, and i totally get it if my wad is rejected due to the size, i dont think i even offically signed up like any of the people at the beginning of the year lol i honestly have no idea what im doing haha XD

4 hours ago, shroomzy5000 said:

I actually had this map finished before I was even aware of the community project.  Definitely intended as a solo project, and i might be misunderstanding this project?  I thought people were just kind of throwing their maps in, based on that first post by obsidian, more or less just submitted mine since i released it today and it seemed to fit the bill, but i completely agree with what you are saying.  I didn't think the maps being made were necessarily made for the project, and i totally get it if my wad is rejected due to the size, i dont think i even offically signed up like any of the people at the beginning of the year lol i honestly have no idea what im doing haha XD

Even if the map doesn't get into this project, an 11 minute long metal song would definitely give the map a more unique sound. And well done on finishing your first map too by the way :D

Made for: GZdoom
Made in: Ultimate doom builder
Singleplayer only

It took longer than expected and I don't know the build time because of a lot of working on it on and off over time.

The idea is that you are sent to deal with a demon infestation in a power plant and they have begun corrupting part of the building, you are sent to destroy the plant and everything inside to prevent further spread of the demonic corruption.

this is my first serious doom level that i've made and submitted to Doomworld

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gzdoom-launcher/addons/meltdown2#downloadsform

Edited by Retro_Roy132

are there any map slots available right now? Cause i have a map but i don't know which maps are open and which ones aren't.

My map is a pirate themed map with 2 pirate ships, its made for vanilla doom and is SinglePlayer, CO-OP, and DeathMatch compatible.

the music used in it is from FreeDM's map28.

(i tested it in chocolate doom by the way, it works great.)

(here's the music name of FreeDM's Map28 and the creator: "Bobby Sent Me" composed by ralphis.)

(this map's name is the same as the wad name by the way)

i decided to add gameplay screenshots in zandronum.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-48-24.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-48-53.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-49-02.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-49-07.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-49-12.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-49-22.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 00-49-27.png

Edited by Mr795

3 minutes ago, Mr795 said:

the music used in it is from FreeDM's map28

Credit this as "Bobby Sent Me" by Ralphis. 
can't thank you enough for restoring "Mists Over the Mire" as PH2 MAP29 by the way

Decided to update the entry names in the wad in this zip, its the exact same map and music, no changes to anything but the entry names.

PirateBayEntryNamesChange.zip

(by entry names i mean like the entry's in a wad your making in Slade.)

(this is the version ready for compiling by the way.)

Here is my entry. @Obsidian I messaged you about a couple of issues, I hope they're ok.

Download: DMAX23_WBJ_Undaunted.zip

Name: Undaunted

Author: WindbagJacket

Format: Boom

Difficulty levels: Yes

Co-op: Player starts included, but not tested at all.

Deathmatch: No

Custom textures and sky: OTEX 1.1 by Ukiro

Music: Perpetuum Mobile by James Paddock (for Escalation Titan)

Jumping, crouching: No

Freelook: Shouldn't break anything

Build time: 10 months, on and off. Too long.

Tested in: GZDoom (4-11-3.a), DSDADoom 0.27.5

Description: A tech base embedded in some vine covered mountains, with some subtle demonic elements creeping in. Key progression is linear but the map is quite open so multiple routes can be taken at the start, and areas are revisited.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

538016625_8copy.jpg.40f8b405c0e5c4eb535194737ea5802a.jpg2124752678_6copy.jpg.2025381a046cad06bf25d2b21bd5033d.jpg2108509854_10copy.jpg.6c1af89cda6fdf2a924dfcdd40c93989.jpg1595474679_0copy.jpg.fbb5cd14655f8c75e9c7ce50dac01f79.jpg1663266837_1copy.jpg.fc511216faafdc8275d1c6cc85233f5e.jpg365789173_2copy.jpg.0841b3b8ab65856beb60bbadca87b4c9.jpg967904740_3copy.jpg.56636a15635fa1a81317a4d29427aaeb.jpg1589383280_4copy.jpg.3236514ca1a15db151f8d7d58db1c8a1.jpg637393761_5copy.jpg.72fc14c89a968ffee5c09c5c17e69879.jpg1442846433_7copy.jpg.bd1c1461d31dff11e721859b0d4f9091.jpg1572751237_9copy.jpg.7d7217eaf498251fd4e7b0ff55bb7f28.jpg

Edited by WindbagJacket : Adding screenshots

On 12/21/2023 at 8:00 PM, Retro_Roy132 said:

Made for: GZdoom
Made in: Ultimate doom builder
Singleplayer only

It took longer than expected and I don't know the build time because of a lot of working on it on and off over time.

The idea is that you are sent to deal with a demon infestation in a power plant and they have begun corrupting part of the building, you are sent to destroy the plant and everything inside to prevent further spread of the demonic corruption.

this is my first serious doom level that i've made and submitted to Doomworld

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gzdoom-launcher/addons/meltdown2#downloadsform

the moddb link has been added and the wad is now downloadable

@General Rainbow Bacon Your map seems all good to me, no bugs found from my playthrough. I think an extra box of shells/bullets at the beginning of the level would be useful for some of those first ambushes, I found ammo to be very stingy early on, but it was plentiful afterward.

Author: Phoenyx
Map Name: I Am Her, You Are Him, They Are None and We Are All
Format: Boom-Compatible (cl9)
Music: Nightfall Over the City by an unknown artist
Difficulty Settings: No
Co-Op Starts: Yes
Custom Textures: ALLWHITE and ALLBLAK by Spendoragon
Build Time: 10 hours
Tested in: DSDA-Doom v26.0

Description: Weird little map I made for the end of the year, kind of difficult too. Hope you enjoy <3

Phoenyx_DMP2023.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom178.png.c75ba8c238ab46053816f1a61722bacb.pngdoom179.png.b37bbb2a850cdcb32755b442b5ab5dcf.pngdoom180.png.52b3b791319a6eec9450bd99d1c73d62.png

Edited by Phoenyx : Screenshots

Are you still allowed to join even though there's still a few days left of the year?

sailing.zip

A short map I made a while back that I never uploaded. You're on a pirate ship, kill the demons.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any bugs, but I put this version together pretty quickly, so I may have not noticed something. Let me know if something needs changed or fixed.

Name: Sailing!

Format: Limit Removing, with ZDoom MAPINFO

Midi: Midi Version of Sailing! by Yukiko Nishimura

Play Time: 5 Minutes tops.

Spoiler

dgmhrqn-c762fc3c-4b2f-4735-878d-749727b6

dgmhrqc-bca11aa4-f9d7-43d5-b462-b006a65d

44 minutes ago, JackDBS said:

Are you still allowed to join even though there's still a few days left of the year?

Yep! And if you don't manage to finish by the deadline, there's always next year. :)

My entry:

Name: Floating Object In The Sky
Author: JackDBS
Format: GZDoom
Difficulty levels: Yes, but not really
Co-op: No
Custom textures and sky: None
Music: Hiroyuki Mizuno - Floating Object in the Sky (From 'Sora no Fudousan X68000')
Freelook: Not gamebreaking
Build time: 3 hours, 34 minutes, 42 seconds
Tested in: GZDoom
Play Time: 6-10 Minutes
Description: A small, short slaughter speedmap. Only truly hard part is the first 30 seconds, but after that, it's good old fun slaughter. It's a bit of a quick map, but I had fun making it.

FOITS.zip

Hey everyone. OO.VA here with my second upload to the doomworld forums. I wanted to contribute to a community project this year and decided that one of my speedmaps might fit in well with the Maximum effort. Here's HOURHALF.WAD!

Map name: Hour and a half

Format: Any

Music: "Forget Everything and Run" (By me)

Difficulty settings: All Implemented

Tested in: Crispy Doom 5.12.0, ZDoom 2.8.1, GZDoom g4.8.2, & Zandronum 3.0

Build time: An hour and a half ;) (Plus a clean-up time of ~30 minutes.)

More details inside the .txt packaged with the wad.

Screenshots below:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220929_234148.png.d810f94163e0e0119b96c75b1cf93541.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220929_234359.png.4013d14f514bd61fbf05847de9698a56.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220929_234342.png.cab5ebde6d8175ee33d76d56119eeeb0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220929_234433.png.b0364867912ae33967494a716becc9a3.png

I've become a lot busier IRL, which means I don't really have the time to make Doom maps. I saw there were only a few days left in the year and that this was Doom's 30th anniversary, so I said, "Fuck it. I'll just make an homage to E1M1." Here it is.

Author: E.M.

Map Name: Return to Hangar

Compatibility: Vanilla

Tested With: Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, DSDA-Doom

Music: "At Doom's Gate" by Bobby Prince Jr.

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Build Time: A few days, I guess?

Description: E1M1 homage in honor of Doom's 30th anniversary.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

yE8z8I634cptcvbH.png

Might as well keep my personal tradition of contributing a map to this going.

Sticky Burr
Untitled.png?ex=659f425f&is=658ccd5f&hm=

This is neither a joke map nor some random speedmap from 2018; this is a vanilla map I made in a few days' time as I wait to move to a new home (and start my studies back up). I originally wanted this to be harder with more focus on shotgun and chaingun but I got tired of it. Music is "Corrugator" by Alfonzo. There's one custom texture edit by me and the sky is from Doom :P More importantly, though, is the existence of textures defined in TEXTURE1 that didn't require new patches to make. Thanks to @El Inferno for feedback.

blah_final.zip

Edited by Χyzzy

CUBE OF DEATH... Square of Destruction?

Boom compatible

Tested In DSDA

Difficulty settings: no

Co-op: no

Deathmatch: no

Music: Your Move Cybie- Primeval

Description: I had an Idea for a slaughter arena... so this!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom36.png.2670affcd636e3ceee3898737c8d0edb.png

Square O' Death.zip

Hey I decided to make something today:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eIXH8_xL_9UPYB7tlhV4jxyXX2pL1rh3/view?usp=sharing

It's all fun and games until a demonic invasion occurs.  They killed your buddies and now they're out for your blood.

Title:  A Bad Day at the UAC Training Grounds
Map Format:  Doom (limit removing)
IWAD:  DOOM2.WAD
-complevel 2
Single player only
Jumping & Crouching are not recommended and may break parts of the map
Difficulty settings have not been implemented yet

May not run on:
 -DOS Doom (untested)
 -Chocolate Doom (untested)

Tested on:
 -GZDoom (primarily tested with this)
 -Crispy Doom (also primarily tested with this for quality assurance)

Music is "Plug Ugly" by Bucket, Composed for the Plutonia MIDI Pack

Screenshots:

Spoiler

OzaWmfh.jpegUc4W36w.jpeg

Just two days left, yay! Then compilation and release!

After which probably only a couple of streamers will play it, then everyone will forget about it. Heh..

OMG I finally have something to release! Yippee! I totally didn't have to rush through enemy placement at the last minute! LOL. But in all seriousness, while this is a playable version of the map, it still needs a few balancing tweaks, but it's now playable and I desperately need feedback. Hope you enjoy "Hell's Paradise".

Title: Hell's Paradise

Tested with DSDA-Doom

Difficulty: Not yet implemented

Co-op/Deathmatch: no

Music: Into a sandy city by Peter Lawrence

HP V1.zip

Spoiler

doom75.pngdoom76.pngdoom77.pngdoom71.png

Edited by StarSpun5000

My entry:

Name: Cementine

Author: Optimus

File: Cementine.zip

Format: Limit Removing

Difficuly Settings: Yes

Build Time: 6 days

Tested in: GZDoom, PrBoom+

No new textures, just stock Doom 2

Screenshots:

Spoiler

cementine_000.png.530298476ea1a563ef7f55e90e2e1eca.png

cementine_002.png.837750099ee8118246903f6d75f2b8f3.png

cementine_003.png.f2226fdf760cf1fb0b64cda663394c18.png

cementine_001.png.d040147c45ab63675f63fc32d7823e37.png

@StarSpun5000 Did somebody say feedback?

Spoiler

I played this on UV, and I have some suggestions for balancing tweaks. First and foremost, a map like this definitely needs difficulty settings for monster/item placement. The way the map currently is would be pretty suitable for UV, with less enemies on lower difficulties. Mainly cyberdemons, archviles, and revenants should be reduced for lower difficulties, but that can also go with anything else. I also think the first cyberdemon should be taken out, or replaced with something else, as that room was super awkward/cramped to fight a cyberdemon in, even with the BFG (I almost missed the BFG too). There are also no powerups whatsoever in the hellish side of the level aside from a secret megasphere, which puts someone without that knowledge at a huge disadvantage. A soulsphere or two out in the open would help solve that issue.

I've got some other minor bugs as well to report before the due date. Linedef 4901 is a missing texture, and the first megasphere secret is only a one-time teleporter, meaning if you opt not to grab the megasphere, you can't ever go back to it.

I was also able to do a non-freelook rocket jump from the yellow skull key to the ship. I wouldn't say it's worth the effort changing though, because it's a very difficult jump to make. That's all I've got, good luck!

Well, here it is. Completely forgot about this since a couple days ago and I've been cleaning up the mess a little. First doom map I've released so we'll see how it doth go. 

Name: Marble Madness

Author: Stroopwafel

Format: Boom: Doom 2 Format

Difficulty levels: The whole magaggle

Music: Yet-to-be-named Custom MIDI

Freelook: Sure

Build time: 2 weeks (total)/months (worked on it on and off), done 'round july, then forgot about it. Oops.

Tested in: GZDoom

Description: A spider pit connects all three smaller challenges.

MarbleMadness.zip

Edited by Stroopwafel

Well I had not made anything specific for this, however I do have a map to donate that has been in development this year, it was supposed to be map13 of Atomic but given continued soul searching, I thought it would work here.

Name - Vermillion Vestry

Author - Cannonball

Format - Limit removing

Difficulty settings - Yes

Co-op - Starts added

Deathmatch - No

Music - TaraNTulas by Bucket

Build time - N/A 

Tested - DSDA Doom

Textures - Lavafall textures added, note that they don't animate at the moment

A fairly short map with plutonia level difficulty.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/o3iwmbprxqrtbcjktu16r/Vermillion-Vestry.wad?rlkey=mugep5rxyacc93tz3olxjeg4n&amp;dl=0

Did some bug fixing and implemented changes for lower difficulty's, I'm pretty happy with this!

Title: Hell's Paradise

Tested with DSDA-Doom

Difficulty: Yes

Co-op/Deathmatch: no

Music: Into a sandy city by Peter Lawrence

Texture packs used: Patched up textures by Gothic and the useful flats texture pack by Nick Baker

File: HP V2.zip