Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

I hope you don't take it too personaly, following pcorf's advice and testers' feedback could do it. Unless you don't want to change the map ;).

johnfulgor: I agree with K!r4, you shouldn't give up. Take it from me =p

You seem to have been making progress from your first map, and I'm also sure that the testers can help you to make your map more Plutonish and a bit more detailed. And practice makes perfect of course.

I've had some tester feedback, so I've got some minor fixes to make so far, then I'll have what I'd deem the final version, which will then be submitted to just Joshy, as so far they're all minor changes.

I'll wait to see if I get further feedback though, as the overall views on the level have been contrasting.

:-)
Hello! After the poor outcome of my previous attempts, I've tried with another style.
Something like that may work?
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot1.png

These are some other screenshots of the work in progress. Any comment/suggestion is welcome!

http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot2.png
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot3.png
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot4.png
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot5.png

Thank you!

I think that's better. Could probably work for later in the game. Though, I'm not all too familiar with Plutonia. The Revs tend to keep me away from that IWAD :P

I sent my map to Joshy and testers. My map is remake of original Plutonia map 15. Moreover, I included some elements of original Plutonia map 04. About a custom music, I just selected the same music as pl15. Needless to say, it fit my map, but I didn't want to choice the same music personally. I looked for other music which fit my map. However, I can't find it myself.
Do you know any good music?

Some Screen Shots, though they have already been posted in the thread. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

and, overall my map

TendaMonsta said:

Take me off the list of mappers please.

really? if u quit from this project.
i want to replace your slot.
beacause I'm inspired again.

evocalvin said:

I actually thought about this again and want to reconsider what I just said.

TendaMonsta said:

perhaps sending one of your early design drafts to testers might stop you from deleting them over and over. you might get useful feedback that way, too! :)

evocalvin said:

very nice pictures, tatsurd!!!!
look forward to playing your map :)

I can tell you, it is quite a nice map to play. Challenging and has qualities you would expect from Map15.

Perhaps you could try making a map for Episode 3? That episode needs more maps. :3 :3 :3

Tendamonsta said:

That's a good idea, don't just give up. What dew said is quite good advice, it can be a useful tool for inspiration by listening what the testers have to say about what you've done so far.

I could perhaps also suggest to lower your expectation instead of trying to raise the bar so high that you lose that motivation to complete it. Just saying since I thought you might have been doing this. Same thing's happening for my Poison Ivy 3 map. Since the first two Poison Ivies were pretty good, I'm was feeling pressured with trying to make it as good under vanilla limitations and similar to plutonia and got the good ol' block. :S

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

About a custom music, I just selected the same music as pl15. Needless to say, it fit my map, but I didn't want to choice the same music personally. I looked for other music which fit my map. However, I can't find it myself.
Do you know any good music?

IMO, the music is just fine. Fits the level perfectly. I can't think of any other music. But if you wanted a somewhat original track, you can always ask someone to do a remix of 'waltz of the demons'. It could work.

johnfulgor said:

:-)
Hello! After the poor outcome of my previous attempts, I've tried with another style.
Something like that may work?
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot1.png

These are some other screenshots of the work in progress. Any comment/suggestion is welcome!

http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot2.png
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot3.png
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot4.png
http://www.patrickswads.altervista.org/crypt/Screenshot5.png

Thank you!

I can see some improvements. :-)

However, it just doesn't really ring out 'plutonia' at the moment. I can say that one of the important part of plutonia is the layout structure. It's not just a room with details, it has relative interconnection between different rooms and hallways, etc.

Can I suggest something, how about you make a thread, upload your best map (or try to make another one), and ask for comments and feedback. This will help a lot. I'd be happy to provide some feedbacks if I can find the time. I'm not saying you can't put in a map, do keep trying and you can always ask someone to do a collaboration (two mappers working on one) with you, that could work. I can help out if you want to. Just let me know.

Perhaps you could try making a map for Episode 3? That episode needs more maps. :3 :3 :3

But episode 3 seems full. :(

5 maps have been completed.
Map21-Asmodeus' Circle (Keeper of Jericho/Belial)
Map22-Suicide Mission (valkiriforce)
Map25-Planned Overload (Armouredblood)
Map26-Necrogenesis ([WH]-Wilou84)
u missed Mechadon’s map
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/900467

And 7 maps are in process.
-Untitled by GhostlyDeath (C)
-In the eye of the beholder (Map30) by t.v. (?)
-untitled (Map31) by whoo (?)
-Poison Ivy III by Joshy (C)
-The End of the Beginning by Lorenzo (?)
-untitled (Map23) by Gusta (?)
map32
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/897612

evocalvin said:

But episode 3 seems full. :(

5 maps have been completed.
Map21-Asmodeus' Circle (Keeper of Jericho/Belial)
Map22-Suicide Mission (valkiriforce)
Map25-Planned Overload (Armouredblood)
Map26-Necrogenesis ([WH]-Wilou84)
u missed Mechadon’s map
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/900467

And 7 maps are in process.
-Untitled by GhostlyDeath (C)
-In the eye of the beholder (Map30) by t.v. (?)
-untitled (Map31) by whoo (?)
-Poison Ivy III by Joshy (C)
-The End of the Beginning by Lorenzo (?)
-untitled (Map23) by Gusta (?)
map32
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/897612

Well, GhostlyDeath hasn't responded much lately so not sure if he is still actually working on the map.

And as for the Map32 thing, I think K!r4 has stopped working on it or something?

Besides, you can always create a map just in case if someone drops out or forgotten about this project.

Joshy said:

And as for the Map32 thing, I think K!r4 has stopped working on it or something?

Yes as for now, I didn't take heights into account for my ideas and I got demotivated for this map (but there's still room for other ideas of interconnexion).
Feel free to work on a map32, the first to finish something will have the slot.

Uh oh. If Episode 3 is getting full, there may not be room for my second map.

.. which is coming along nicely, by the way:

I call it "Dance with the Devil". It isn't complete, yet. Not by far, but there is progress.

I'm still working on my map although progress is going slowly.
I have every intention of finishing it.

What was the deadline for this project again?

t.v. said:

I'm still working on my map although progress is going slowly.
I have every intention of finishing it.

What was the deadline for this project again?

Pretty much ASAP and before November.

Looking good mista_t!

Nearly finished. Just got to polish up a few areas.

EDIT: Name of the map is "Cyberdemon Vertigo"

Within the next week, Joshy should receive my final version of Undertaker, which will be v2.1 - the testers won't get this version, as it'll be very similar to the current v2

Joshy said:

IMO, the music is just fine. Fits the level perfectly. I can't think of any other music. But if you wanted a somewhat original track, you can always ask someone to do a remix of 'waltz of the demons'. It could work.

I request a remix of 'waltz of the demons'. Musicians in the project, could you do it? If it is impossible, I won't change the present music.

I am inspired by Plutonia map8 "Realm". I will make a new map for the project. I want to slot my map to ep1 if an ep1's slot are open. (I just doubt all undone maps for ep1 are still working.)

Phobus said:

Within the next week, Joshy should receive my final version of Undertaker, which will be v2.1 - the testers won't get this version, as it'll be very similar to the current v2

This reminds me - the final version of "Stony Halls" that I sent Joshy is one that testers did not receive, but there shouldn't be any unrest over the change: the timed bars in the SSG area have been replaced with finding a hidden switch to open them (not too hidden, mind you - just shoved into one of the alcoves).

K!r4 said:

Yes as for now, I didn't take heights into account for my ideas and I got demotivated for this map (but there's still room for other ideas of interconnexion).

Yeah I was also wondering about this. It's all right if this map isn't going to happen or if you just want to send it to me and I can have a look see.

Also, I'm open for making a new map if needed for any slots. Even though I've been busy with my stuff I can take a break and try another map. Also I'll have to check and see if I've sent my map 22 to all the playtesters since I've only received word from a few of them.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

I request a remix of 'waltz of the demons'. Musicians in the project, could you do it? If it is impossible, I won't change the present music.

I am inspired by Plutonia map8 "Realm". I will make a new map for the project. I want to slot my map to ep1 if an ep1's slot are open. (I just doubt all undone maps for ep1 are still working.)

Sure, like I said before, it's a good idea to have backup maps. Otherwise, all the overflow maps should be contributed to Community Chest 4, as the project desperately needs maps! So, no waste there! :-)

valkiriforce said:

Yeah I was also wondering about this. It's all right if this map isn't going to happen or if you just want to send it to me and I can have a look see.

Also, I'm open for making a new map if needed for any slots. Even though I've been busy with my stuff I can take a break and try another map. Also I'll have to check and see if I've sent my map 22 to all the playtesters since I've only received word from a few of them.

k!r4 said:

How about you send to me what you've done so far for Map32 and I'll do some stuff on it. See if I can create good interconnections and whatnot, and I'll send it back to you? Make it a collaboration map ;-). I have a holiday break coming up so if you send it, you should get it back within 2-3 weeks.

Joshy said:

Sure, like I said before, it's a good idea to have backup maps. Otherwise, all the overflow maps should be contributed to Community Chest 4, as the project desperately needs maps! So, no waste there! :-)

I feel that if I had to turn my map into a CC4 contribution, I'd have to add 1,000,000 new textures just to get it to compete with the others. ;)

I think I would eventually run out of shades of brown and red, though.

Xaser said:

I feel that if I had to turn my map into a CC4 contribution, I'd have to add 1,000,000 new textures just to get it to compete with the others. ;)

I think I would eventually run out of shades of brown and red, though.

Heh, no damned way your map is going to CC4!! Now get cracking! :P

Joshy said:

How about you send to me what you've done so far for Map32 and I'll do some stuff on it. See if I can create good interconnections and whatnot, and I'll send it back to you? Make it a collaboration map ;-). I have a holiday break coming up so if you send it, you should get it back within 2-3 weeks.

Heh, guess what I did? I have deleted my work because I wanted to restart my part from scratch. It wasn't that advanced anyway, just blocks and random textures to see how it could work.
Would be best to start with valkiriforce's version at the time then.

K!r4 said:

Heh, guess what I did? I have deleted my work because I wanted to restart my part from scratch. It wasn't that advanced anyway, just blocks and random textures to see how it could work.
Would be best to start with valkiriforce's version at the time then.

Alrighty then. I'll wait to receive it from valkiriforce. :-)