Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Visplane Overflow!

The First Ever Version Of Brutal Doom

Well i have played BD since v18 and saw lots of improvments on the mod on V21apriltest.

Because of that, Im curious if someone have an archive for the Initial Release of BD.

anyone have it?

I'm not sure if it's the very first, but I've got a link to an alpha version archived in this post, amongst other versions:

I find the BD cult following rather strange, especially with older versions.

I get the idea behind being interested with previous version of the idtech 1 retail games and things like HacX etc, but the interest in previous mod versions baffles me completely.

23 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

I'm not sure if it's the very first, but I've got a link to an alpha version archived in this post, amongst other versions:

Thank you!!!!

On 5/30/2018 at 2:25 PM, Liberation said:

I get the idea behind being interested with previous version of the idtech 1 retail games and things like HacX etc, but the interest in previous mod versions baffles me completely.

I'd imagine the appeal is similar - seeing what changed and how. That's all I can really say.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:25 PM, Liberation said:

I find the BD cult following rather strange, especially with older versions.

Thats totally ignorant and its not limited to Brutal Doom. A mod so plentiful is bound to attract interest in its history. Just because people are interested in previous versions of something you don't care for doesn't make it weird. Brutal Doom has come a long way and is pretty well known, for people to be interested in its history isn't something that should baffle you

2 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

Thats totally ignorant and its not limited to Brutal Doom.

Wow totally rekt/burnt or whatever the kids say these days.

A mod that runs on zdoom, an engine that can basically do anything is not the same as an engine from the 90's that had features added or removed due to technical or design reasons. That's my point, that is why people tend to have an interest in previous versions.

Brutal doom is little more than a weapons/gore mod, granted it looks nice and plays reasonably well but its not a lot different to the countless other mods out there, it just hoovers all the best bits into one mod and then we get people like you turning up using words such as "Plentiful",  "Come along way" and "pretty well known" which just shows the utter ignorance people have towards the community and the last 24/25 years of Doom.  

11 minutes ago, Liberation said:

people who are interested in things i'm not interested in are ignorant

well put friend

37 minutes ago, Liberation said:

it just hoovers all the best bits into one mod

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg.31d58ae4441490b7bfa3d1056554a82f.jpg

1 hour ago, Liberation said:

Wow totally rekt/burnt or whatever the kids say these days.

A mod that runs on zdoom, an engine that can basically do anything is not the same as an engine from the 90's that had features added or removed due to technical or design reasons. That's my point, that is why people tend to have an interest in previous versions.

Brutal doom is little more than a weapons/gore mod, granted it looks nice and plays reasonably well but its not a lot different to the countless other mods out there, it just hoovers all the best bits into one mod and then we get people like you turning up using words such as "Plentiful",  "Come along way" and "pretty well known" which just shows the utter ignorance people have towards the community and the last 24/25 years of Doom.  

You don't have to take the whole of Dooms modding career into account to be rationalize your interest in a mod. And it literally is well known. As much as you Doom veterans want to deny it, its one of the most well known mods. Also I dunno why you felt the need for that first thing. I'm not trying to burn or wreck you. I just think its ignorant to brush off someones interest in a mod as baffling 

Ok, lets sort this out.

1. I'm not denying Brutal Dooms is well known. 

2. Being baffled by an interest that I don't share is not being ignorant its simply a lack of understanding, which you have the opportunity to enlighten me. Being ignorant is me saying to the OP "why the fuck do you care about that old shit anyway". You see there is a big difference.

3. The first bit was some light hearted humour.

@bonnie My special friend, I think you should re-read my posts. I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

@DoodGuy Low energy meme, poor effort. 

You see the whole point of having forums is to discuss stuff, educate and enlighten.

To be fair, ignorance has several definitions, one of which is "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness" in general or on a specific thing. Lacking knowledge isn't a bad thing by itself, but the other part of the definition comes into play in the typical usage of ignorant, which is to say somebody is also being rude. Personally, I don't think you were rude at all Lib.

That all said, and I'll preface this next bit by saying that brutal doom is a fairly fun, visceral experience worth at least seeing if not playing once, much like any typical doom mod, but while we're also talking about ignorance...

6 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

A mod so plentiful is bound to attract interest in its history.

Interest in its plentiful history of racism or stolen assets? I'm just trying to figure out which one.

I mean, I've never played BD, and have not a lick of interest in doing so, but I even I know that the mod is wildly popular, and has gone through numerous changes throughout the years. Why wouldn't someone be interested to see what the earliest iteration looked like?

This guy just wanted to find different versions of a mod he likes, why did this thread turn into another shit-fest?

Perhaps I'm missing something.

But I don't see requests for earlier versions of Aliens TC, Twilight warrior etc etc, The reason behind this is because we only play the end result as its a modification (or TC) at the end of the day.

However previous versions of Idtech 1 (alpha/beta) games are much sort after due to historical reasons, ie what got the cut and what didn't, textures/weapons/sprites that didn't appear in the final version and also differences in the engine. Also Doom ports are also valued due to historical reasons.

But perhaps brutal doom is important enough to warrant the attention, in which case fair enough, I have been educated and will withdraw my baffledness.

@Nirvana Shit fest is a bit strong, but then people who love BD will defend it. 

9 minutes ago, Liberation said:

It sounds like you just have a low opinion of mods, which is causing you to arbitrarily section them off as lesser software or something that's inescapably far less interesting than other kinds.

12 minutes ago, Liberation said:

I think you are a bit. Brutal Doom has had a lot of releases over the years, unlike those mods you mentioned. It's changed a great deal since its first release. And if it's how you choose to play Doom (and always play Doom like that) I can completely understand the interest in experiencing older versions of it.

It's no different from being interested in hearing that scratchy studio-demo recording of that song you like. It doesn't matter how "historically important" the song is, if you like it it's not unusual to be interested in it's history.

10 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

It sounds like you just have a low opinion of mods, which is causing you to arbitrarily section them off as lesser software.

I'll accept that, however I'm not quite that harsh tbf.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I think you are a bit. Brutal Doom has had a lot of releases over the years, unlike those mods you mentioned. It's changed a great deal since its first release. And if it's how you choose to play Doom (and always play Doom like that) I can completely understand the interest in experiencing older versions of it.

Fair point, I had forgotten that a lot of people only play with BD, so for those people it kind of is "Doom" and looking at earlier releases would be the equivalent of others looking and alpha/beta builds. This is what I've missed, thank you!

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

It's no different from being interested in hearing that scratchy studio-demo recording of that song you like. It doesn't matter how "historically important" the song is, if you like it it's not unusual to be interested in it's history.

Well said. Exactly what I've been trying to say.

12 hours ago, Fonze said:

Interest in its plentiful history of racism or stolen assets? I'm just trying to figure out which one.

That literally is interesting for some. I was interested in this when I heard of it, not because I'm some skin head neo-nazi but because I wanted to know why the hell Sgt Mark did this

The only versions of BD I played was v11, v12, v15 and what I sampled of v20. I did not like what I saw with the latest, and I especially did not like PB. Even then now I don't really care, extremely overrated mod.