Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

Mass Extinction megawad: Now on Idgames.

Ooh this looks like my kinda thing. Gonna check it out and give some feedback later. Not gonna lie though, some of the screenshots look a tad bit square, the second and fourth in particular.

23 minutes ago, Count651 said:

Ooh this looks like my kinda thing. Gonna check it out and give some feedback later. Not gonna lie though, some of the screenshots look a tad bit square, the second and fourth in particular.

Expect the opposite of squares in my maps, you'll see :)

I really can't think of anything to nitpick here, or be negative about. This was an incredibly satisfying episode from start to finish. Your ability to channel and interpret the classic 90's Doom vibe is on point, for me, from the wonderful use of space, to the overall simplistic nature of everything. Until the Chaingunners showed up, I honestly forgot I was playing Doom II. 

First and foremost, loved the use of barrels!! These often feel like the overlooked ingredient in a lot of WADS, and you did them justice. Enemy placement, from the wanderers to the ambushes, felt balanced, and showed a clear understanding of how/when to use them. I especially admired the use of teleport lines to create tension.

I struggled a bit to find secrets past the first few levels, but I'm sure this was more of a, I'm bad at finding secrets thing, than anything else. As far as bugs, I didn't seem to find anything that really required attention.

Please continue this project! These levels had fantastic personality, and worked perfectly as an opening set - not too difficult (I didn't die until the 7th level, on UV), and yet, fun and engaging. You're very reserved and patient with your introduction of monsters/weapons, so if this ends up being a fully realized 32-map megawad, I'm dying to see where this goes!   

Played through with glboom+ 2.5.1.3 complevel 2. UV pistol start FDAs for all maps in the attachment. Map07 breaks on me in the RK wing, linedef actions on linedefs 811 and 809 don't work and prevent progress so DNF for that map.

Enjoyable set of maps. Pretty classic stuff in that distinctive and recognizable nic monti -style.

FDA_massexe_01-07.zip

Nice! Although I do find it strange that you keep starting new projects without finishing the older ones xD

@RonnieJamesDiner thanks and I'm glad you like it, I'm trying that personality things for them maps, something you remember from each one rather than being generic bases and that concept will be reinforced for the next maps, I'll continue this for sure, already planning the next maps :)

@Veinen thanks for the interest, I was sure something like that could happen, I couldn't test everything on several ports because of schedule and sure that will be fixed, and I'll watch your demos asap!

Levels 6/7 seemed a bit easier than 3-5. Some areas in those levels still tough, but others could use a bit of spicing up. Level 7 had fewer total monsters...

Level 6: Mandatory nukage run at blue key could use a radsuit or bridge or stimpack there. I had single digit health, couldn't take damage.

Level 7: ---BUG--- Red key door (using ZDooM) does not need any key.

Had a good amount of fun in all. Waiting for E2! :)

Edited by FrancisT18

@Firedust I have two more going on but instead of forcing myself I do what ideas dictate me at the current moment, only 3 maps left for the hell episode though!

@FrancisT18 thanks for noticing those issues, sure that will be fixed in the next version :)

Map 07 is broken in two places. Barons of hell have height of 64. Sectors 72 and 108 have height of 56, meaning that the barons’ presence prevents those sectors from lowering at the intended trigger. For some odd reason, sector 69 would not lower either unless sector 72 had lowered. I can’t figure out why that is, but the point is moot if you simply raise sector 72 to 64 total height. This behavior is “fixed” in -complevel 9 and ZDoom ports, but it is fully intact in Crispy, -complevel 2, and Chocolate. Actually, I couldn’t get this going in Chocolate or Chocorender at all – W_CacheLumpNum: 2099917 >= numlumps. Whatever that means.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Map 07 is broken in two places. Barons of hell have height of 64. Sectors 72 and 108 have height of 56, meaning that the barons’ presence prevents those sectors from lowering at the intended trigger. For some odd reason, sector 69 would not lower either unless sector 72 had lowered. I can’t figure out why that is, but the point is moot if you simply raise sector 72 to 64 total height. This behavior is “fixed” in -complevel 9 and ZDoom ports, but it is fully intact in Crispy, -complevel 2, and Chocolate. Actually, I couldn’t get this going in Chocolate or Chocorender at all – W_CacheLumpNum: 2099917 >= numlumps. Whatever that means.

Thanks man! I've had that problem in other maps in the past, not myself but when someone uploaded a video of it and I couldn't figure out what was happening until now, that will be fixed! Also 3 more maps coming soon.

EDIT: on the choco stuff I just give up -unfortunately- unless someone comes with a solution, it has something to do with the textures, it must a 10 seconds fix but I don't know what to do nor the time to figure it out, that's also the reason for some dumb mistakes as forgetting to add the properties for some damaging floor, the lack of time.

Edited by nicolas monti

Very enjoyable mapset . The secrets are way easier than usual -  I kept looking for hidden switches in stairs and traks and listening for a wall opening while crossing rooms and stairs :)

I found the combination of kditd texturing, stock doom2 music and Monti signature style very refreshing.

I struggled quite a bit with map07 Famennian but it ended up becoming one of my favourites.

Made some screenshots of places I liked: https://imgur.com/a/0HnzQ5p

Edited by gotsu

1 hour ago, gotsu said:

Very enjoyable mapset . The secrets are way easier than usual -  I kept looking for hidden switches in stairs and traks and listening for a wall opening while crossing rooms and stairs :)

I found the combination of kditd texturing, stock doom2 music and Monti signature style very refreshing.

I struggled quite a bit with map07 Famennian but it ended up becoming one of my favourites.

Made some screenshots of places I liked: https://imgur.com/a/0HnzQ5p

Thanks buddy, I like you found the vistas confortable, I really enjoyed making those maps and I hope to deliver E2 soon, in a couple of weeks I think :)

40 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

Thanks buddy, I like you found the vistas confortable, I really enjoyed making those maps and I hope to deliver E2 soon, in a couple of weeks I think :)

Really looking forward to E2! I noticed you posted a few of the new levels in HAK3180's demo thread, and I was super tempted to download them, but I'll wait for your official release :3

Played through the first three maps so far, good stuff! I like these alternate takes on Doom 1, this and Lunar are like playing an alternate universe version. E1 especially, as I played the shareware of Knee Deep in the Dead so much before getting Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom, so they come off as very familiar yet different.

Fdas for E1, recorded with prboom+ cl2: massexe_gaspe_fdas.zip

Overall it isn't bad but it isn't your best effort imo. Plus the lack of new music affected negatively my run :/

I liked more the first maps as each one has some interesting design choices to make it stick out despite the monsters used are just the same 3 types. Maybe I'll enjoy more the later maps as it is progressing very slowly and the lack of variety in monsters and weapons is starting to grind. It feels like Mano Laikas but without the "edge" that made that wad interesting. Still looking forward to the next episode!

2 hours ago, gaspe said:

Fdas for E1, recorded with prboom+ cl2: massexe_gaspe_fdas.zip

Overall it isn't bad but it isn't your best effort imo. Plus the lack of new music affected negatively my run :/

I liked more the first maps as each one has some interesting design choices to make it stick out despite the monsters used are just the same 3 types. Maybe I'll enjoy more the later maps as it is progressing very slowly and the lack of variety in monsters and weapons is starting to grind. It feels like Mano Laikas but without the "edge" that made that wad interesting. Still looking forward to the next episode!

Remember this is WIP, new music will be added for the final release, also, bestiaty will be added progressively :)

E2 is ready for playtesting

Game: doom2
Compatibility: use limit removing, vanilla intended but still not working because of a lump problem.
Maps: 01-14 (E1 is included here too so you don't have to download another file if you haven't played it yet)
File: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5ll0j6o3fvb5jhv/massexe200.wad/file

New content:
Map08: tournaisian
Map09: visean
Map10: serpukhovian
Map11: bashkirian
Map12: moskovian
Map13: kasimovian
Map14: gzhelian

I've also added new midis for all the maps so feel free to tell me if you find some of them annoying or unfitting for the experience and added an episode selection menu for zdoom users only, last map of every episode (except map30) will end in dead exit so pistol start at the beginning of the episodes is assured with any port.

Maps 11-14 have not been tested by anyone so  far so feel free to report any bug or provide some sugestion to improve the mapset.

DMtS27O.png

S9KCjfo.png

kYYt1rC.png

Edited by nicolas monti

I am very excited for this release! Your maps are the best "chill" Doom maps to play on UV. Classic set-ups with old-school architecture through and through. Me likey.

11 minutes ago, Firedust said:

I am very excited for this release! Your maps are the best "chill" Doom maps to play on UV. Classic set-ups with old-school architecture through and through. Me likey.

Thanks man! That's the idea, classic small-mid sized maps, always trying to improve and make better releases based on the feedback

Also I'd like to know about theese guys and their opinion, they helped me in the past:

@Memfis @scifista42 @Olroda @rdwpa

1 minute ago, hella knight said:

Memfis n scifista have been gone months and looks like olroda is banned :p

Lol, I don't blame memfis and scifista, I use to disappear months or even years, it's just life. Didn't know about olroda though.

EDIT: 08/10/19 file updated
Map09 last trap now working with any port
Map11 some compohso alignment and protection for the YK switch from its sides
Map14 big changes for the final encounter, now easier (tested and won without dying the first attempt) and some layout tweaking to ease mobility and escape if the player is cornered, also cells cut down and added rockets so you need to use both weapons to win the fight.
Also you can't camp against the revies at the blue key area anymore.

Link is the same in the first post

@Austinado

@HAK3180

Started playing episode 2.

Had a bit of a smile when the midi started - "Can that be? IT IS!". I like Rammstein so that's a positive.

My first two attempts I got punished for a) missing the SSG and then b) trying to go too fast the second time. Those Hell Knights are very rough if you missed the SSG.

Beautiful verticality in the map though, and great use of space.

Are the episodes intended to be continuous or pistol start or you don't mind too much either way? Because I'll probably end up playing it continuous unless you say otherwise.

Fdas for the second episode, recorded with prboom+ cl2: massexe2_gaspe_fdas.zip

I liked more the second episode, cool layouts, the custom music was a very good addition and the encounters get more engaging. Didn't enjoy the pain elemental spam, but fair enough it's my most disliked enemy.

MAP08: This is one is allright nothing to complain here. It's nice how the map expands vertically and with the platforming.

MAP09: This can change a lot since you can choose in what order visit the wings with the keys. I think that the RK trap with all the chaingunners is a bit unfair, maybe it's also because I went with not so much health. Maybe the green armor could be swapped with a blue one.

MAP10: I recorded 2 demos. The first stops when I died at the YK trap and noticed that I missed the plasmagun. The YK trap is on the cheap side imo, maybe just move the hell knights further from the player so you have more time to react.

MAP11: I liked a lot how the crate storage tht usually is a "static" part with deaf monsters behind the corner but here it was

made into something hectic, coupled with the hunt for the resources.

MAP12: There's a serious bug here, the door-lift has tag zero so all the sector in the map will mess up, you can see that in the demo. I still was able to finish the level. A little frustrating at the start with all those snipers around.

MAP13: Fantastic level. It manages to create a nice journey despite it's rather small in the size.

MAP14: Good mood in the intro. I guess I could have made few more attempts at the cyber, trying to kill them first seems a more viable option than trying to press the switches like I did. Maybe the rockets for all those revs aren't enough, I retried the map another couple of times and if you use some rockets for the mancubi the ammo can be very low.

@Magicana thanks for recording it! All episodes pistol start, they all will end in death exits and you will be obtaining all the weapons progressively.

@gaspe thanks again! I'll be fixing those things you mention so the maps get a bit more balanced and fair. I want a final version as polished as I can and all of this helps a lot.