Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Supercharge [gameplay mod | v3.0b 07/16/23 multiplayer fix]

Hi. Kinda weird, but apparently Supercharge breaks a specific trap in Doom 2's map13.

I'm attaching a screenshot of where it is on the map. To reproduce, start a new game, go to map13 via the console, enter that building, kill the cacodemon and step on the platform with the rocket launcher. The pinkies that are inside an inaccessible part of the building should now teleport in, but they don't.

map13 bug.png

After killing cybie to trigger the special some maps (e.g. jade earth) requires to summon 'n' kill commander keen. Is it possible to fix it without mapinfo?

4 hours ago, Darnn said:

Hi. Kinda weird, but apparently Supercharge breaks a specific trap in Doom 2's map13.

I'm attaching a screenshot of where it is on the map. To reproduce, start a new game, go to map13 via the console, enter that building, kill the cacodemon and step on the platform with the rocket launcher. The pinkies that are inside an inaccessible part of the building should now teleport in, but they don't.

map13 bug.png

I think I know the answer to this because I recently discovered a problem on my own map with pinkies when using Supercharge. Supercharge increases the speed of pinkies. The closets on Doom 2 map 13 are very small. Collision in Doom is calculated by taking the speed of the monster per game tic and seeing if moving it forward make it collide with something. This is why there's sometimes the bug with Mancubus fireballs moving through thin walls. Since the pinkies are so fast in Supercharge, I'm pretty sure that the calculation based on the enhanced speed will put the monster's collision box inside a wall, so it isn't actually allowed to move forward, therefore its center can't cross the teleporter line.

On my map I was doing something different, I was having lifts in a monster closet to stream spectres out of the closet at a slower pace, but in Supercharge, the pinkie's fast speed let them all get off the lift before it went back up, making them turn around and cross the raised teleporter line.

It'd be nice for a "original pinky speed for compatibility" option.

Edited by Stabbey

18 hours ago, Stabbey said:

I think I know the answer to this because I recently discovered a problem on my own map with pinkies when using Supercharge. Supercharge increases the speed of pinkies. The closets on Doom 2 map 13 are very small. Collision in Doom is calculated by taking the speed of the monster per game tic and seeing if moving it forward make it collide with something. This is why there's sometimes the bug with Mancubus fireballs moving through thin walls. Since the pinkies are so fast in Supercharge, I'm pretty sure that the calculation based on the enhanced speed will put the monster's collision box inside a wall, so it isn't actually allowed to move forward, therefore its center can't cross the teleporter line.

On my map I was doing something different, I was having lifts in a monster closet to stream spectres out of the closet at a slower pace, but in Supercharge, the pinkie's fast speed let them all get off the lift before it went back up, making them turn around and cross the raised teleporter line.

It'd be nice for a "original pinky speed for compatibility" option.

Oh, huh! Well, it's cool to know why it's actually happening, at least. I'll know to look out for this if I encounter it in different wads.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:45 AM, Darnn said:

how weird! thanks for bringing this to my attention. and thanks for the extra sluething @Stabbey! I think I actually experienced a bug similar to this like, a decade ago, with Brutal Doom. I didn't imagine that the supercharge pinkies are fast enough for this to happen but apparently I was wrong! adding an option for vanilla pinky speed might not be super easy if I was to do it while keeping zandronum compatibility, but I will add it to the list of things to look into. I have intended to release a small supercharge update alongside the release of my next project, which was intended to be soonish, but my doom time has been sparse lately. all the same, I'll try to look into a fix for this for a future update!

On 2/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, Melter said:

After killing cybie to trigger the special some maps (e.g. jade earth) requires to summon 'n' kill commander keen. Is it possible to fix it without mapinfo?

hmmm, I'll have to take a look at it! do you know if Jade Earth modifies the cyberdemon to give it the KeenDie special via dehacked? if that's the case, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do without mapinfo, but I'll take at this setup too and try to see what's happening

Yes, it uses the KeenDie special.

Spoiler

I also checked this map with EVP and it loads with unmodified cybies. I guess it somehow checks for this special action and then decides which version of monster to load.

This is definitely my favorite mod, it's like everything I'd want from a gameplay mod for doom. But I have just one very minor issue with it - it's the ammo counter on the big hud, it shows just the ammo you have in the magazine and that's very inconvenient for me. I tried using supercharge with fullscreenhud mod and surprisingly it works pretty well.. mostly. The shotgun ammo counter on the right gets broken, so I was wondering would it be possible in a future update (if you're still planning updating the mod of course) to make it so that the ammo counter worked like in fullscreenhud mod?

ps. I took a screenshot of supercharge+fullscreenhud mod so that you could see what I mean by that

Screenshot_1.png

hey people, I've added SC compatibility to a custom GZDoom HUD initially released here at DW

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2503547

I should have correctly implemented support for all weapons and powerups, but bugs might have slipped through - so feedback is appreciated

Enjoy!

@D4N5T3P does this satisfy your needs?

Screenshot_Doom_20220603_175031_cr.png.e35a41e39334669b6f45e1db6967bee2.png

Edited by Delfino Furioso

7 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

hey people, I've added SC compatibility to a custom GZDoom HUD initially released here at DW

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2503547

I should have correctly implemented support for all weapons and powerups, but bugs might have slipped through - so feedback is appreciated

Enjoy!

@D4N5T3P does this satisfy your needs?

Screenshot_Doom_20220603_175031_cr.png.e35a41e39334669b6f45e1db6967bee2.png

Nice! It's definitely much easier too read, definitely will give it a try. I have just one suggestion tho, would it be possible to highlight the type of ammo for the weapon I'm using now on the right panel, like it already does on the arms panel, cause that would be just perfect

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by D4N5T3P

On 6/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, D4N5T3P said:

it shows just the ammo you have in the magazine and that's very inconvenient for me.

this is something I've wanted to fix for a while, but couldn't work out what I thought was a satisfactory UI solution :( I guess the smallfont total ammo + current magazine like in that fullscreen hud is a good solution, I was just hesitant to do that for some reason. could always put it behind a toggle at the least though! I'll also take a look and see if I can figure out why that shell ammo counter is broken though.

@Delfino Furioso your HUD mod looks excellent! and I really appreciate you adding supercharge compatibility. just added a link to that in the OP as well

=========

I also wanted to call out some sweet new maps that have been released with supercharge over the last few months:

Technicolor Antichrist Box Anniversary Edition by @Major Arlene:

False Paradise by @97th Century Fox:

The Demented Trials by @StoopidBoiEthan:

Ante Mortem Episode 1 by @Snaxalotl:

apologies it's taken so long to call these out, but I'm very grateful for yall making supercharge content. all these have been added to the list in the OP as well!

Edited by Tango

On 6/4/2022 at 1:18 AM, D4N5T3P said:

would it be possible to highlight the type of ammo for the weapon I'm using now on the right panel, like it already does on the arms panel, cause that would be just perfect

changing font color is trivial, but become unmanageable when I factor in all changes needed to also ensure compatibility with all currently supported mod

as a easy way out, I've been thinking about implementing something like this:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220606_124847.png.f65ce5c6b36145138b884ab1110ec8a9.png

would this be enough?

On 6/7/2022 at 8:46 AM, Supercharged Bj said:

hey tango, are there any minor or major update to supercharge ? i am excited to see the sg and ssg new gothic skin

I've had some minor supercharge changes that I've made to my own copy and wanted to release for a while, but I've been putting it off so I could release it with my next mapset. but... I keep increasing the scope of the mapset so release is still a ways away, so at this point I really ought to just make a supercharge update with the new stuff. it won't be a lot of stuff, but I'll try to put an update out this month that includes toggles for those two shotgun gothic skins!

Oh cool, glad to hear there's still some updates in the pipeline for this mod - one of my absolute faves for sure, especially when paired with Paradise!
Gothic shotguns sound very cool, keen to see 'em in action soon-ish! 

Is this upcoming mapset the same one that you've been posting screenies of on your Twitter and doing the occasional Twitch dev stream of? If so, colour me VERY excited - all of those teasers look absolutely mental! :) 

6 hours ago, Fabricator said:

Is this upcoming mapset the same one that you've been posting screenies of on your Twitter and doing the occasional Twitch dev stream of? If so, colour me VERY excited - all of those teasers look absolutely mental! :) 

appreciate the kind words :D it is indeed that very same one! I was honestly on the cusp of releasing it a few months ago but had some grand new ideas that will hopefully be worth the wait hah

3 hours ago, NovaRain said:

Is it possible to have toggle options to use only SC weapons/monsters for a WAD?

there's not a very good way to do this while remaining zandro compatible, but if you're interested I can try to add separate downloads for a monsters-only and weapons-only version of the mod for the next version!

On 6/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, Tango said:

there's not a very good way to do this while remaining zandro compatible, but if you're interested I can try to add separate downloads for a monsters-only and weapons-only version of the mod for the next version!

fook yeah!

The mod is really great but I can't find the Scarpgun and the Stomper and the assault Rifle I can only find them using cheats and sometimes you can split the imp in half with a pistol wich is weird but still a great mod! I hope y'all fix this 

The mod is really great but I can't find the Scarpgun and the Stomper and the assault Rifle I can only find them using cheats

@Smork 🐞

The main trick with Supercharge's unique weapons is that they show up mainly in WADs developed specifically with the mod in mind. You should absolutely check out all the Supercharged WADs located in the OP. That being said, you CAN use those unique weapons in non-Supercharged WADs. Here's rd to tell you more!

Edited by Biodegradable

Choosing Ultra-Randomized at the difficulty select menu will also allow you to find the scrapgun and stomper (along with ammo for them) in regular maps, along with the new monsters. They will sometimes replace similar default things, like the stomper sometimes shows up where the rocket launcher would.

Like @Biodegradable said though, it's still worth trying wads made with Supercharge though (Paradise, Mapwich 2, and Ar Luminae are some well known ones), because these random replacements are more incidental and the wads will lean into the new content more deliberately, which can lead to fun scenarios.

The assault rifle can be used in the regular difficulties by turning this option off. In fact it's Supercharge's default rapid-fire slot 4 weapon.

8eSoGZ2.png

@Tango i wonder how did you create the gore in this mod like its brutal doom but not so over-the-top,which is pretty satisfiying,and i wonder how can you improve on this gore ex: an imp sawing in half using the chainsaw or having burn spots when you shoot the enemy with the plasma rifle or bfg.

at long last! the 2.9 update is here. it's a pretty minor one overall, but here's a full changelist:

• the Wicked enemy, which was included in the last release but not really advertised, is included with swanky sprite modifications by Ultra 64! I'd like to make a post showing its behavior off a bit, but in the meantime you'll have to toss it down in a test map or summon it manually in game ("summon TangoWicked" in the console in GZDoom/Zandronum) to see it, as it's not currently included in Ultra-Randomized
  • Grenadiers have had their grenade damage reduced; a direct hit should now do 60 damage
  • Pyro Demon projectile floor fire damage increased, so the damage is a lot harder to brush off now
  • new pickup sprites for rocket ammo/box, bullet box
  • new toggleable gothic skins for both the regular Shotgun and the Super Shotgun. toggle is located in the SC Options in the menu. note that to make the weapon pickup sprites toggle properly, the CVARs for these are server CVARs, so if you're hosting multiplayer and want the new weapon skins, set sv_tango_shotgun_skin to 1 and sv_tango_super_shotgun_skin to 1 as well (0 for both = default skin)
  • new player rocket trail effects
  • OP of this thread has separate links for both a monsters-only version of 2.9, and a weapons/items-only version (@NovaRain @AdNauseam). they're both only very, very lightly tested, so let me know if you discover issues with them
  • made some behind-the-scenes fixes to the way ammo pickups are replaced - sorry @Delfino Furioso this probably breaks your HUD mod's SC-compatibility, but the good news is now I'm doing ammo replacement properly and it shouldn't have to change ever again :D
  • probably some other minor changes I'm forgetting
  • some of the bugs reported in this thread are still not fixed - like the one Darnn reported in Doom 2 map13. it would be great to fix this stuff eventually but it is admittedly low in my priority list D:

I'm still chipping away at my current episode which uses Supercharge, but it'll be some months before that's out. for my ideal next project after that one, I have some ideas for a Supercharge-adjacent mod with some more major changes, like a whole new arsenal with a basic weapon upgrade system ala Psychic. if I ever get to that though, it'll be a few years away, and it's unclear whether that mod would live alongside Supercharge, or supersede it entirely.

anyway, that is all to say that I don't have any concrete major plans for Supercharge in the near future, but after my current project I do intend to either make major additions to Supercharge or develop something else based on it. in the meantime, enjoy 2.9 and let me know if yall run into any issues. many thanks to everyone who has played and supported the mod :D

2 hours ago, Tango said:
  • OP of this thread has separate links for both a monsters-only version of 2.9, and a weapons/items-only version (@NovaRain @AdNauseam). they're both only very, very lightly tested, so let me know if you discover issues with them

Woohoo, that's great to hear!

im not good at review but gonna try my best (sorry if my english is bad im a filipino)

hot damn the shotgun and ssg look beautiful,is the ssg have some inspired design of doom eternal because it look oddly similar,and the rocket has now some omph to them like decino ask,the minigun is cool but sprite is a bit too big like i cant see shit while turning the hell whores into swiss cheese,the wicked is a interesting concept,i wonder how can you balance this demon into this mod,overall good mod as always

I see that you've added a new gun:

A spoiler so people that haven't seen in yet don't get it spoiled

Spoiler

The minigun, I Give Everything'd to get all weapons and saw that there was a new gun, kinda odd that it wasn't mentioned though.