Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomhead87

Favorite kinds of music

5 hours ago, Misty said:

It would be easier to create new thread than go down to the lowest, forgotten parts of forum just to reply about favourite music.

It's weird that 15-22 years old threads aren't mass locked to prevent bumps.

Music is a timeless thing. For that reason, I think an older thread which is not wasted (not too many hateful posts, off-topic things etc.), doesn't contain any prohibited content (like NSFW, illegal content, violence promotion etc.) and is dedicated to people's favorite music genres is more than suitable to be resurrected. So far, there's no such thing as "too late to like music" in this world, so why not resurrect it?

Especially considering that some of the members than posted in this topic more than 20 years ago are still active on the forum. It fills the time gap between the old and the current Doomworld era, people can see what the community members thought 20 years ago and continue this discussion, why not? Some people who posted in 2002 have already got likes from the members who are active today, and we can compare opinions from then with those that are relevant now.

6 hours ago, Misty said:

It would be easier to create new thread than go down to the lowest, forgotten parts of forum just to reply about favourite music.

Obviously it would, but if I did it, maybe this was for a reason? From then to now there's an incredible amount of truly excellent music that has come out, and I'm sure there will be even more and more in future. I felt like this thread needed some refreshing, which is exactly what is happening right now.

Let this topic live, viva la musica and happy Valentine's Day!

I suppose I should provide a serious answer...

The short answer would be: almost anything with passion and actual instruments. Even if I don't like it per se, I can still respect it if it sounds like the people involved gave a fuck. I am also generally not fond of sad or depressing songs. I listen to music to feel better, not worse. 

I consequently don't mind some pop if it sounds like some instruments and talent were involved, but it's rare. I enjoy most forms of rock, some country (not the modern bro-country nonsense), classical, jazz, blues, Celtic and Folk, and metal particularly symphonic. I generally don't like metal where 99% or more of the vocals is screaming or growling. It gets boring to my ears, and in the case of growling to me it mostly sounds cartoonish. It's OK here and there for emphasis though.

Shoutout to this thread almost being as old as I am.

The current bands in my rotation are metalcore bands like Bad Omens, I Prevail, and Sleep Token.

My favorite band, Coheed and Cambria, is a progressive rock band.

Also Britney Spears slaps.

If I'd answered 21yrs ago I'd have said rock, punk, some metal (no screaming, growling or pretending to be satanists) and some techno. Nowadays you can add Americana, folk, blues, country, Southern rock, some pop, synthwave and bluegrass to the list. The actual quality of the music is far more important than the genre anyway, some bands don't fit nicely into any genre also.

Okay, well if this thread is going to be a thing...

I do have a different attitude about what I like from soundtrack music when watching/playing something, and the music I look towards outside of that context. The soundtrack aspect is kind of broad so I'll not go so much into that.

Otherwise it's a specific set of bands that meet my criteria. Metal, typically progressive, influences of death, black and folk metal have become a major facet. Unconventional vocals are something I've come to really appreciate, unlike @Wyrmwood but, I am not inclined towards the intentionally edgelordy side of things either.  I actually think genuinely that the vocal and musical techniques of the more extreme genres become a lot more interesting when the motive for them is not solely intended to be the one thing. Opeth is hard to miss as a major influential band in terms of what I like. But if I were to post one album as like, a strong example of what I'm talking about, it would be Persefone's Core. A Neoclassical death metal opera about the abduction of Kore to the Underworld by Hades and her transformation into Persephone.

If you can survive Demeter's opening rage which to me is one of the most spectacular pieces of aggressive death metal I've ever heard and the fundamental proof that death metal can be so much more than its often pigeonholed, you might be surprised at the sheer range on offer in this beast of an album. 

I like basically everything, but in complete honesty, the majority of pop-punk is quite boring. 

Also, pure Latin music genres tend to bore me far more than not. Latin-influenced jazz is  another story though (Dizzy Gillespie frw).

At one time, I would've said that noodly jazz is an instant pass, along with basically pop of any stripe with the latter for a variety of reasons. Now I've basically completely flipped on the former (the trouble is time) while I particularly prefer the latter when there's an arty angle to it.

Like it would be easy enough to say hard rock and hip-hop with notably emotional roots music are my favorites, but it's a little bit easier to talk about genres I don't like. There are probably certain genres of electronic music I can barely fucking stand, but that's just an issue with certain production methods more than anything.

Probably progressive rock and electronic music.

Other than that I can listen to pretty much anything, except reggaeton, it's one of the very few things I hate the most.

I've been listening to a lot of new wave stuff from the late 70s and early 80s, think Low, Heroes, and Scary Monsters by David Bowie, Sowiesoso by Cluster, Another Green World and Before and After Science by Brian Eno, and Fear of Music, Remain in Light, and Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads. This stuff stays in rotation often, but I also quite enjoy progressive rock like King Crimson, Yes, and Pink Floyd (inb4 "Pink Floyd isn't prog), folk rock and Americana like Bob Dylan, 60s rock like the Beatles, the Kinks, and the Velvet Underground, and some more recent indie music like Tally Hall, Pinback, and Minimall. 

There, now I have submitted to the necrobump of the year. 

Mostly Early SlipKnoT, like SlipKnoT (1999) album back to silver disc.

Favorite song: Interloper (Demo)

PanterA, all of their Vulgar Display album is a straight banger, dime's tone is out of this world, my personal favorite. no bad songs there. what i like most about them is they NEVER sold out, they're like whiskey, they only got better with time.

Favorite song: No Good (Attack the Radical)

Suicidal Tendencies, first album full of heaters.

Favorite song: I Want More

S.O.D, they only really made one album, then they did some groove shit which is not all bad.

Favorite song: March of the S.O.D/Sargent "D" and the S.O.D

M.O.D i love how overly offensive their songs are.

Favorite song: Don't Feed The Bears

KoRn, their second album, Life Is Peachy just kicks ass.

Favorite song: A.D.I.D.A.S

Alice In Chains, them and PanterA are like bread and butter, you really can't have one without the other.

Favorite song: Angry Chair

I can go on and on about the music I like and why, I play bass and try to emulate my favorite music with the stuff I write. Tritones, funky rhythms and perfect 5ths are my bread and butter.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Suess said:

This isn't a bump, it's a whole ass hill

sick ass profile pic, r.i.p dime.

Anything with a strong meaning. All genres apart from lazy country music and extreme out of control death metal, pig squeals are okay make me laugh.

It's faster for me to name the genres that I don't like:

Country & Western (with some exceptions (Willie Nelson, you'll live on in my heart forever))

Easy Listening

So-Called "Christian" music

Liturgical music

Opera/Operetta/Choral music

I'll listen to just about any other type of music, some more that others.

Metal makes up the majority of what I listen to, but I also enjoy prog, trip-hop, and a handful of rappers.

"That which is wrong with the world that we cannot fix with the blades of our axes, we shall surely avenge!"

—Thorgrim Grudgebearer, High King of all Karaz Ankor.

Stuff with funky/jazzy grooves. Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, Daft Punk, etc.