Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

What's the worst port of Doom?

Which shitty Doom port is the worst?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Which shitty Doom port is the worst?

• GBA
    • Saturn
    • 32X
    • 3DO

This thread made me search for videos of the 3DO port for the first time, and I found this one,

Where the programmer who made this, Rebecca Heineman, relates her experience working on this port in the comments.

Now my favorite ports are the 32X and GBA ports else I wouldn't be restoring the PC maps back to Doom 32x. But, here's my comments on each port.

GBA: The Doom 1 port is a pretty nice package, featuring the only official deathmatch levels. It is to note that getting into the void is literally a cake walk, and getting back in-bounds is possible. The Doom 2 port is arguably the best pre-XBOX port in terms of fidelity to the original DOS product, albeit 2 levels are split in half and the framerate sometimes drop (Noticeable in the crusher room of...uh, The Crusher.) Oh, and the Doom 2 port has a faster SSG!

3DO: A real shame. It was made in only a few weeks so it's still pretty insane it even works. Now apparently, and don't quote me on this, but apparently the flats are rendered in hardware which is why the game is so slow. So perhaps if it went the SNES Doom way of not using flats it would have a decent framerate? It also seems to be easily moddable as some people managed to port Doom 2 monsters, sprites and all.

PSX: The best port in terms of quality and quantity. The only problem I have with it is that the original Doom sprites don't really fit the moody lighting which is sort of a problem, and the toned-down Jaguar levels are still here (I know it was due to VRAM limitations, but still) As for PSX Final Doom, it's not the best package considering you only get 30 levels that aren't even all from Final Doom itself, and I don't like Final Doom or the Master Levels very much, so I can't really rate this properly. Do know that you get a shiny new SSG sprite and that the framerate is sometimes slower.

Saturn: Carmack destroyed this port. I am very curious to see what the port was like since apparently it was very close to the PC architechture. And the quick fix to make you fire more ammo essentially makes you waste more ammo than needed. This proves that breeding a 32x and a PS1 doesn't work.

Jaguar: A fine port in my opinion, with multiplayer and a good amount of levels. (Even fullscreen!) Obviously the Jaguar port is the base of literally every single other port of that era, and while said ports weren't always good, the original Jaguar port is excellent. The only problem I have with it is obviously the lack of music during the levels and the less-than-accurate geometry. Still, a good 90's port and definitely the best quality and quantity package next to PSX.

32X: My favorite port of all time, it was originally supposed to be based off the PC version however it didn't run very well. It was then changed for the Jaguar engine and maps. A fun thing to note is that the maps seem to be from a prototype of the Jaguar version, as some BFG secrets in Episode 2 feature no BFG, and E2M3 in particular has a lot of things that would get removed in the Jaguar version. Some people criticize this version for being rushed out the door, but remember, if this didn't get rushed out the door the 32x would have died a few months later, or even faster due to the lack of Doom. I absolutely adore this port's potentials, even so much that I am currently (With a friend) restoring the original PC maps and textures perfectly or at least as closely as possible, to bring this port to fill the promises that even 3DO Doom didn't deliver. New maps? Check, there will be one bonus map for each episode. New monsters? Check, while no Cyberdemon or Spiderdemon, Episode 2 will feature the Infernum Lords (Aka recolored Barons) that help the Cyberdemon take over Deimos using their powerful illusion powers, and E2M8 will have you fighting those 2 recolored Barons that have way more health and speed to make this a true boss fight. So in terms of moddability, 32X Doom destroys any possible competition.

SNES: The last of the 90's port (Well not the last one, but the last one in this list lol) is unarguably the most accurate to the PC version in terms of texturing and geometry, but not in everything else. Firstly, this version lacks flats altogether and even with that out of the equation, this port still has an undecent framerate on real hardware. On emulators it does play pretty good however. In the side of moddability, SNES Doom's only current utility is in closed beta (Thankfully I was able to acquire said utility) and even then, it's only possible to add one level at a time due to the way it corrupts E1M2 to make room for your new E1M1. I did make a Pac-Man clone on said port however and released it, and plays rather well. And due to the recent source release, SNES Doom's moddability should start increasing pretty soon.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:50 PM, Dark Pulse said:

And reduced functionality. (No colored sectors, less music, etc.)

It would actually be interesting to see a native PC port of the saturn version, as unexciting as that port is, at the very least it would then no longer have the awful framerate...

1 hour ago, Dynamo said:

It would actually be interesting to see a native PC port of the saturn version, as unexciting as that port is, at the very least it would then no longer have the awful framerate...

Kind of moot except as a technical curiosity when the PSX version is covered by PsyDoom, though.

Some ports are awesome (PS1, XBOX, N64, Jaguar because it was the base of plenty of the ports), some ports were impressive for the hardware (SNES and GBA), the 32X was OK I guess, and 3DO and Saturn were a shame, especially 3DO. But every port has its charm (well...Saturn does?)

For me, the worst port is Saturn. It's just a very low framerate PS1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:41 AM, Doomkid said:

There was a patch recently that improves the SNES control greatly by adding circle strafing. If ever a patch is made (or had been made) that also reduces input latency, it would honestly be a great port given the limitations. The controls were the Achilles heel of that port imo.

On god, at the time given how cheap consoles STILL we're the SNES port made sense even if it came real late into the consoles lifes span. And really if such a patch did exist yeah I agree 100%.

Man now I wish there was, I got an SD cart that's itching to be used.

Have there not been deadlines (also choosing the wrong person to handle the port (Randy) ) or odd choices, the 3DO and Saturn versions respectively would have been excellent ports.

1 hour ago, Keen World said:

Where is the BFG edition?

BFG Edition is serviceable, not cripplingly unplayable.

It's on par with the Xbox Live port.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Have there not been deadlines (also choosing the wrong person to handle the port (Randy) ) or odd choices, the 3DO and Saturn versions respectively would have been excellent ports.

In what flippin' universe is Randy Linden ''the wrong person'' to do a port to a platform so anemic in power (Compared to Doom's default requirements) that it required a co-processor and a custom engine to get somewhat decently running on the SNES?

My man, i have seen you make odd posts... but this is easily one of your more bizarre ones.

Maybe ask @RandalLinden directly where this comes from?

14 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

BFG Edition is serviceable, not cripplingly unplayable.

It's on par with the Xbox Live port.

For me its unplayable

14 hours ago, Redoom said:

For me its unplayable

Sure.

17 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

In what flippin' universe is Randy Linden ''the wrong person'' to do a port to a platform so anemic in power (Compared to Doom's default requirements) that it required a co-processor and a custom engine to get somewhat decently running on the SNES?

My man, i have seen you make odd posts... but this is easily one of your more bizarre ones.

Hot-takes is the name of that guy.

19 hours ago, Redoom said:

For me its unplayable

Then what is unplayable about it? Surely if you assign such strong wording over this, you will know what makes it unplayable..

5 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Hot-takes is the name of that guy.

Clueless-joink is another. :P

On 2/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, Redneckerz said:

I was talking about Randy Scott you goof. I even mentioned 3DO Doom, which that guy was put in charge of. Not the other Randy. Although I think your reply may have been a joke.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

I was talking about Randy Scott you goof.

Just saying Randy does not make that clear, obviously. But Goof does sound funny, thanks.

Besides, Randy Scott did hire the band responsible for the 3DO sound track.

Lastly, the entire comment is worded confusingly.

Although I think your reply may have been a joke.

If i wanted to do that then i wouldn't have commented under yours.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:20 AM, Redneckerz said:

Then what is unplayable about it? Surely if you assign such strong wording over this, you will know what makes it unplayable..

Clueless-joink is another. :P

Well first of all its the lighting, it drives me insane about how the dark areas don't give the fear vibe as much, for me the control delays a small bit too, the sound with my version for the chainsaw sounds like sound on top of sound, the soundfont is off, random sound pitches, and for me it gets really laggy at times, but its worth it cause I now own no rest for a living

On 2/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, Redoom said:

Well first of all its the lighting, it drives me insane about how the dark areas don't give the fear vibe as much, for me the control delays a small bit too, the sound with my version for the chainsaw sounds like sound on top of sound, the soundfont is off, random sound pitches, and for me it gets really laggy at times, but its worth it cause I now own no rest for a living

that's pretty much Doom Classic Unity at launch, but it's not the end of the world.

15 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

that's pretty much Doom Classic Unity at launch, but it's not the end of the world.

Does it count if that version basically no longer exists? :P

On 6/25/2020 at 12:15 PM, Vic Vos said:

And no native PC port.

I just realized, PSX Doom on the PC is a port of a port.

39 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I just realized, PSX Doom on the PC is a port of a port.

"it's all ports?" *holds up gun* "Always has been"

The SNES version by far. I can’t bring myself to ever finish it and I’ve tried plenty of times. Ugh...

Please note: I’ve never played the infamous 3DO version.

I think the SNES input latency is tied to the framerate, since from what I heard overclocking the cartridge boosts the framerate and improves the controls

I think the SNES port of the game was a great conversion for what it is. It kind of remind me of how Mortal Kombat ended up o the Game Boy. A lot of lag, delay, slow, but when you get hang of it, it's pretty awesome. I would play it over the 32X version and Jaguar anytime. The music is also awesome in this version and includes both bosses.

The worst , however, is the Sega Saturn version. During my time of collecting, I had both the PSX and Saturn (US) version of the game. While the game is playable, there are serious slowdown issues, but you are able to fire much faster for some reason. Some large level ended up crashing at time if you went too fast, so you have to clear room one by one. Else, the game is too easy dues to the slowdown monster suffer and limited music. While the PSX can be slow at time, it is much more stable.

On 3/1/2021 at 3:37 PM, Keyran-Solo said:

The SNES version by far. I can’t bring myself to ever finish it and I’ve tried plenty of times. Ugh...

Please note: I’ve never played the infamous 3DO version.

As someone who's played the SNES version (it was my first Doom, in fact), I got up to E3M3 as a kid (couldn't get past that), but it was far from unplayable. It wasn't GREAT, mind you, but I was able to get pretty damn far.

Circlestrafing would've probably let me beat it, but that's impossible in stock SNES Doom.

And considering the hardware it's running on, I'm a lot more willing to give it a pass in terms of framerate. Starfox wasn't much more than 15 FPS either, after all. It wasn't as bad back then as it seems.

3DO, on the other hand, probably had no business running that horribly. Burger Becky did all she could to improve that port but it had to be slammed out in IIRC not much more (or maybe even less) time than the 32X version. I remember reading somewhere that the biggest slowdown is that while she got wall rendering optimized, flats were done entirely in software, and on the 3DO's relatively anemic CPU, that'd certainly be an issue.

Eternity is the worst port.

Okay, it's actually pretty good, but it runs like crap for whatever reason on my machine and I'm too lazy right now to learn how to fix it.

More on console Doom; I seriously cannot imagine playing Doom on the GBA. It sounds like hell.

26 minutes ago, BunnyWithBeans said:

Eternity is the worst port.

Okay, it's actually pretty good, but it runs like crap for whatever reason on my machine and I'm too lazy right now to learn how to fix it.

More on console Doom; I seriously cannot imagine playing Doom on the GBA. It sounds like hell.

learn how to use it and then talk about it.

What you are saying is pretty much that you don't like chocolate without even eating it ever :/

I have a really old PC, of around 12 years ago, and Eternity runs smooth and without any problem.
I like the original look, so without any fancy thing, it just plays like if it was the original game back in the days of DOS, but with a lot of new neat features.

5 hours ago, BunnyWithBeans said:

The GBA ports are really good. A bit chunky but both Doom 1/2 on the GBA are some the better ports as both run really well and control really good IMO.