Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: MAYhem 2020

MAP12

I wasn't expecting to like this, based on the start and the level name, but I actually did enjoy it.  The gimmick was what I had guessed it to be, but it was executed in a way that worked for me; the cybers had enough room to roam widely but not be ever-present, and there were lots of connections to allow a player to try ans bug out.  I did get pincered once, which took a couple of reloads to get out of, but overall the general absence of too many dead-ends made this quite playable.

I didn't really have much time to enjoy the scenery, but it seemed like a pretty nice techbase overall, with plenty of windows to give rockets room to fly around.

map12

A challenging map. Your marine starts in a techbase with 4 caged cybies and a switch that has to be used in order to progress. As the cybies roar to life, your marine makes a dash for it through odd shaped hallways that are very difficult to navigate with cybies hot in pursuit. Several demons, shotgunguys, zombiemen and imps block his path and chip away at his health just to add to his misery.

Progression is based on locating the 3 keycards and 3 skullkeys that have been placed throughout the facility. Armed with the 6 keys, your marine can raise the bars back at the start to a bfg and plenty of cells. The trick is to find a path to all 6 keys that doesn't result being trapped and cyberstomped. Even after getting the bfg, depending on how the enemy come at your marine, it can be a bit tricky to take them out.

It took me several attempts to get a uvmax on this map. I can't say how much was the result of good rng or whether I just lit on a good path through the base. My key path was: start -> bsk -> rk -> rsk -> yk -> ysk -> bk -> bfg goodness.

This is not the last time your marine will be hunted down by angry cybies in this mapset. Sad, but true.

map41

You are on a small volcanic island and surrounded by monsters facing away from you. You can see cybie on a higher platform. There is tons of health and ammo, if you can get to it. Success here will involve some rng in your favor, a dozen or so attempts were enough for me to prevail.

I did not find it useful but you can break the first battle into two if you play passively. Eventually you'll have to fire or want to collect the bfg and firing will bring on more enemies. Also, you can avoid triggering the archvile in the exit room by breaking his line of sight and take out the last wave before taking archi out. Again, not all that useful.

MAP11: Toxic Waltz by Blinds1ght

LZDoom

HMP

BEQEuUS.png

The title conveys quite well the whole layout and gameplay of this map. One big toxic dump in the middle of actual nowhere, just a floating island of green and brown marooned in oceans of darkness in a long lost abyss. This is one little slaughtermap that is sure to test your nerves against one initial circle full of Cacodemons and Imps, very easy to kill, but after that there's another arena with some sniper revenants and one cyberdemon boy in the middle, pressing on you. After that, you'll be an arena full of Barons and Hellknights, with some few Cyberdemons leading the fight. Lucky you, there's one juici BFG behind the pyramid, which will make the whole difference in winning or losing. After that, you can finally escape, well, quite escape since a death-exit. Oh boy.

MAP12: The Running of the Bulls by Ben Mansell (Bauul)

U3dF2es.png

His not lying when naming this map the running of the bulls. The finisher of MAP 11 makes us pistol-start this new episode, and this time around we have another interesting gimmick that is quite fun and stressful. The main premise of this map is to create a sort of cat-and-mouse game where you are not the cat, I'm afraid. Instead theres going to be a pair of Cyberdemons tailing you throught the whole base, where you have to find the right keys to exit. All six of them. It is quite fun I must say, but might be a little bit of a hassle since the nature of the map is both a labyrinth and a speedrun.

MAP12 - The Running of the Bulls

UV | Continuous with Saves | GZDoom + Zagemod

Sweet buttery Christ riding a unicycle while juggling fish, this was a nightmare! Bauul, I love you and I hate you! lmao good lord man, you did an excellent job reducing me to a gibbering maniac as I howled in frustration (all in good fun though, I promise mate. I am a giant ham). This map is a wild ride, really bloody unfair, with absolutely nothing to work with but a regular shotgun thanks to the last map taking all my stuff and I respect the hell out of it. It's a real twist on the formula where survival is key rather than obsessive demon murder. I couldn't really spend much time gawking at the scenery since the whole point is for you to RUN! FUCKING RUN YOU BITCH! and I did so with gusto. I did notice the plethora of windows to help guide Cyb-missiles though, you sly bastard. It did get a little annoying at one point when one Cyberdemon got stuck in the blue skull key area and wouldn't leave, but otherwise any issues I had were on my own hubris haha. My hat goes off to the crazy motherfuckers who refuse to do any saving when they take on this beast of a map. That was really fucking mean, Bauul, nice work mate. Romero and McGee would be very proud. ;^)

Map10 - Enjoyed this map. At first it seemed overwhelming, like it all looks the same, how am I going to keep track of where switches are etc? But it ended up flowing great. Not my favorite so far, but decent. Thought the morning theme was neat.

map10.png

Map11 - This is the type of slaughter map I can tolerate: Short! Let the caco's and imps resolve their differences then cleanup the leftovers. In the second fight I just killed the cyber before waking the revenents. I died a few times on the big baron/cyber room, but prevailed in the end. I don't think this was a bad map, but I'm starting to worry about the number of cybers in this wad, especially after loading into map12 and seeing a pair of cyberdemons in cages...

MAYhem 2020 Map11.png

Edited by RottingZombie

I have a lot of catching up to do, but before my big catch-up post I just want to comment on what happened to me with map 11...

That death exit on map 11 trolled me so hard. I wasn't expecting it, so I took my time after I won the battle to upgrade my weapons (using Doom Incarnate mod). After feeling pretty good about my arsenal, blargh! Dead

And then map 12 loads cyberdemons in my face without all my fancy pants weapons.

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Sweet buttery Christ riding a unicycle while juggling fish, this was a nightmare! Bauul, I love you and I hate you! lmao good lord man, you did an excellent job reducing me to a gibbering maniac as I howled in frustration (all in good fun though, I promise mate. I am a giant ham). This map is a wild ride, really bloody unfair, with absolutely nothing to work with but a regular shotgun thanks to the last map taking all my stuff and I respect the hell out of it. It's a real twist on the formula where survival is key rather than obsessive demon murder. I couldn't really spend much time gawking at the scenery since the whole point is for you to RUN! FUCKING RUN YOU BITCH! and I did so with gusto. I did notice the plethora of windows to help guide Cyb-missiles though, you sly bastard. It did get a little annoying at one point when one Cyberdemon got stuck in the blue skull key area and wouldn't leave, but otherwise any issues I had were on my own hubris haha. My hat goes off to the crazy motherfuckers who refuse to do any saving when they take on this beast of a map. That was really fucking mean, Bauul, nice work mate. Romero and McGee would be very proud. ;^)

It's really entertaining to watch as you frantically run away from the bulls, and brutal-mow stuff. Fun map. Also I hadn't had the opportunity to say this - I'd agree that the mod you use is actually pretty sweet. 

MAP12: Running of the Bulls

boom, UV, pistol start

High-concept map with a corny pun title, faithful to the timeless traditions of gimmick mapping. On first sight a basic sprawling mazey techbase with the usual imps, pinkies and zombies to annoy you, but but if you pay close attention it's actually possible to discern a small and subtle deviation from the usual monster composition, with some interesting gameplay effects.

Gameplay for this kind of map will usually by design be nearly impossible to tightly tune or balance, and indeed the cybers and their chaotic evil AI pathing running rampant will cause of all kind of emergent fun, creating impassable blockages in dead end hallways, getting stuck and camping permanently in the critical key rooms, and sometimes just taking a holiday and relaxing in some distant corner before coming out of retirement in time to pot shot you through an open window. Needless to say this creates all kinds of nearly unavoidable resets depending on the alignment of the stars, and having one or two safe saves makes the map drastically more playable if you're not into gambling. At first sight it seems like it might reward patient monster manipulation, but it's actually pointless trying to put the lid back on this jar of chaos. Your reward for sheer perseverance is a satisfying BFG-powered sweep of the halls. An intense and stressful map, but all in good fun.

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4, pistol starts with saves, no complevel specified

A scary level that reminds me of Doom 64's Cat&Mouse. Funnily enough the mod @Biodegradable uses has what seem to be Doom 64 sound effects which adds to it.

A true boss level, a maze that kept getting both bigger and more constrained as I kept dodging and failing to dodge cyberdemon missiles.

I keep forgetting this is Boom compatibility and when I picked up red skull and card I had to stop for a moment.

A map that's a ton of fun which also makes me glad I lack savescum shame.

Spoiler

MAP12 - “The Running of the Bulls” by Bauul

UV / Pistol start* / GZDoom

Oh dear. Coming in to this map, we're all on the same level, given the death exit on MAP11. A lot of caged Cyberdemons greet us, and we have to release them... We have to run through a maze full of monsters, while also dodging the six Cyberdemons we unleashed on ourselves, to get the six keys.

The gameplay does exactly what you'd expect it to do, and it's a very intense experience. I had a lot of Hunted vibes, just turned up even further. There's enough low-tier monsters to not be unreasonable, but still be in the way long enough to mess up your runs. From that point of view the map is great. The layout of the maze is pretty good, and there's often a way to sneak around (some of) the Cyberdemons. There are some angles where you'll feel safe, but a Cyber could get you in line of sight through three windows, four doorways and a tunnel, so you get sniped. I don't know if I should be annoyed or impressed... You are completely at the mercy of the Cyberdemons' pathfinding AI, which can cause some pretty annoying situations. For instance, in one run, a Cyberdemon got stuck in the alcove with the yellow skull key, and I couldn't dislodge him. So that was a restart. That becomes frustrating after a while, so I eventually resorted to savescumming at each key because it got so annoying having to restart constantly.

When I finally did it, I didn't even care about getting revenge on the Cyberdemons. I just wanted to get on with it, and to the next level.

I did release some pretty frustrated sighs at this map, but in hindsight, I think it's a good map. It looks good and it plays well, all things considered. But you have to be prepared to restart (or save a lot) several times because of the AI pathfinding!

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Sweet buttery Christ riding a unicycle while juggling fish, this was a nightmare! Bauul, I love you and I hate you!

This is legitimately now one of my new favorite videos on the Internet!  I am thrilled you and everyone else is enjoying(ish) the map. 

There was a lot of iterating the base layout to allow the cybbies to properly chase the player at all times, so I'm glad the end result works for the most part.  Doom AI isn't the smartest thing in the world, so it took a lot of tweaking to make a layout that felt mazey but also aid the AI pathfinding to let the cybbies always be able to successfully hunt you down.

MAP12: Running of the Bulls by Bauul (100% kills/100% items/100%secrets)   Deaths: 6

Blind Run|UV|Continuous|Trailblazer 1.5

Very oddly I learned of a similar map not long ago called "Cat and Mouse" in D64D2. That being the only other example of this type of map i've seen lately.

Man, what a fun map. The layout was perfect for this kind of encounter, and this map was a whole lot of fun. Enemy placement was just enough to be annoying but not impossible to deal with, and the ever growing force of the player needing to keep running was a thrill. The cybers never got stuck for me except for one in one of the yellow key elbows. Plus that opening shot definitely gives the player an imposing warning of what the map is about.

Map design was consistent and detail was fair, even for a map more focused on game play than visuals. the design is near perfect and I really like all the branching hallways, windowed traps, and the risky key dead-ends of this map. This goes into gameplay which was a lot of fun. I think i'm kinda a sucker for "deadly maze" type levels, something about trying to dodge and plan routes in order to hunt them before they hunt me is just a lot of fun. Plus this map works so well because its a pistol start. If this map was not a pistol start, and the player had access to anything above a SSG, this map would not work and have been only mediocre since the map is designed around the 4 cybers and evading them until the end of the map.

All in all, a simple but very clever map that is definitely gonna be up there with some of my favorite maps. I think the size limitations made it short, and with more resources this map could have had a bunch more interesting features, traps, and length to make it better, but for this project was done nearly the best it could.

Rankings:

Spoiler

MAP09: Get up; Don't Stop

MAP10: Daybreak Station

MAP05: Wastewater Plant

MAP01: Wet My Appetite

MAP37: Cokey-Nutz

MAP04: Deep Focus

MAP06: Return to Pain Manor

MAP08: Edge of Twilight

MAP07: Heavy Lifting

MAP35: Mystery Mayham

MAP02: Nukaged-Powered Claustrocomputer

MAP34: Mild Terror at Vacation Station

MAP38: Panopticon

MAP36: Field Trip

MAP11: Toxic Waltz

MAP33: The Desert Base

MAP03: Bubble Home Bunker

Edited by DFF

map13

An interesting and fun map. The pistol starter has to be careful how to use the provided weapons and ammo to get through "the holes in the net" before acquiring the plasma rifle. Don't waste those precious rockets! The trail of armor bonuses shows the way. After that, the carnage of those pesky imps can begin.

The blue key pickup releases 3 archviles, one near you but the other 2 somewhere else to ruin all your good work culling out those imps.

Finally you can take the teleporter to the upper reaches of the map and clear out the baddies up there. What unfolds after pressing the red switch was quite a surprise to me as you are lowered to ground again and get to face the two exit guardians, twin cybies of course. Fortunately bfg and cells are provided and sufficient for the task.

map42

A dangerous tech base that requires a cautious approach. Racing through the hallways is a recipe for a quick death. I found it difficult to avoid picking up ammo before needed due to the large number of sergeant rifles being left behind.

The rocket launcher secret area with revenants is good to clear out early so you don't go into the yellow key area with 3 silos with a hail of revenent homing missiles coming at you from above. The yellow key trap is quite nasty, so be on your guard. Running forward into new territory won the day for me.

The cybie encounter is interesting. You can kill cybie from the doorway with the rifle and rockets, it's slow but possibly not as risky as trying to run past him and getting onto the fast moving lift down to safety. It turns out later that the exit switch starts up a crusher over cybies location which is perhaps the more satisfying and fun way of taking care him!

There is a toxic waste area to navigate, fortunately rad suits are provided. I'm not sure how to get the secret plasma rifle early. It only becomes available for me after raising the walkway across the toxic waste and at that point wasn't all that useful.

I like the way the exit was done. Crushing cybie is great but you as a bonus you get to crush romero's head as well (probably offmap somewhere)!

18 minutes ago, tmorrow said:

You can kill cybie from the doorway with the rifle and rockets, it's slow but possibly not as risky as trying to run past him

I was trying to balance ammo so it will be depleted when you go into cybie room, planning to force player to run thru, so when you press exit switch cybie would be still alive. And now (suddenly) i've come to a more elegant way to end the level, without Romero's head and his annoying screams all over the level: conveyor belt with voodoo doll.

Nevertheless, thanks for playing, i hope you've enjoyed this map.

12 minutes ago, 4MaTC said:

I was trying to balance ammo so it will be depleted when you go into cybie room

You didn't bank on us slow, methodical players! There is ample ammo for door strats on cybie. After uvmaxing the map I played it again using saves and trying different things. I realise now that running past cybie isn't that difficult once you know about the fast moving lift on the other side.

Conveyor belt with voodoo doll - that's real voodoo magic, man!

I really did enjoy your map, thanks.

MAP12 - “The Running of the Bulls” by Bauul

mooh. so that's what the death exit in map11 was for  :p

the intermission text is right: someone rigged the exit to rob you of your weapons, and has now tied the door to this map to freeing 4 fine cybernetic bull specimen. while you can run frantically through a base with only your shotgun, taking down some rabble that gets into your way, before it's turned into red mist by said bulls following you everywhere and shooting rockets through the windows, while you try to dodge them and get all 6 keys needed to leave this place.

well, it works somehow better when you know the layout and where you're actually going, but anyway, it's a damn fine, fun map. would be cool to see speedruns of this.

MAP13 - “Hole in the Net” by Worm318

first attempt: wtf. i'm given 2 rockets and have to break through a wall of imps.
then: wait, let the hell knight carve up the imps until he's done, then i might be able to break through.
now that i'm through, i get like 2 more rockets, and if i use them properly, i can access a plasma gun.
see where i'm getting at?
it's a well thought out puzzle of of using ammo efficiently as it will last just until you get to the next ammo pack. and all as a game of attrition vs a hundred imps or so, while health isn't very generous too.
when you thought you're done with it, 2 archviles will try to undo your imp genocide, and later, walls lower, revealing other critters, and 2 cows. which can still one-shot you considering the health available, but you get a bfg, so you can two-shot them.
visually minimalistic, just muddy concrete and these thin red metal fences, but the focus is on gameplay.
recommended.

of the extra maps:

MAP39: “The Most Sadistic” by SergeiRocks100

beginner map?
1. hitscanner infight simulator
2. grinding doors with health
3. point & click at some shotgunners from a corner
4. am i supposed to wait for this lift?

MAP40: “Tei Tenga’s Core” by Gerardo194

this planet again. whenever its name pops up, there's trouble. now apparently in a colony in a volcanic crater. visuals remind of evilution's sci-fi themed maps. first get the shotgun from an inner courtyard (that may have been the colony's gardens), then the ssg & rocket launcher from another. they're joined by a corridor ring, and monsters from the other rocky islands in that lava sea can shoot into the ring, so watch out. you get a truckload of ammo though so you can steamroll the opposition later. there's one angry cow on this ring, but also an invulnerability and plenty of plasma if you don't want to take it out heroically with the ssg. and another at the exit. 

MAP41: “Current Issues” by Snikle

your current issue is being tightly surrounded by about 20 monsters from the start, plus a siege cow overlooking the whole mess. if you get past the very rng-dependent first couple seconds and they don't just stand in the way (especially the mancubus at the switch), then the map plays fine and can be described as "short and punchy". the second switch releases a swarm of cacos and some pain elementals, and then you're at the exit already, where the archvile and his minions are no longer an issue thanks to the bfg.

Edited by Pirx

Maps 08 - 11

Here is some catch up. Map 08 was a lot of fun. There was good action and the fighting was pretty constant. The map looked detailed and pleasant, too.

Map 09 felt like a slog. I didn't care for the layout and it just felt somewhat tedious roaming around killing everything.

Map 10 Not the bees! I had a swarm of bees courtesy of Colorful Hell. It was an interesting level, but it felt too detailed. I couldn't tell exactly what all the details on the walls were, but there were times I thought switches existed that didn't.

Map 11 was a fun little slaughterfest that trolled me as I mentioned earlier.

I will try to get some more catch up in tomorrow, but it may have to wait.

MAP13 - Hole in the Net

Another map with a central gimmick/puzzle that's not too difficult to figure out but is really well made and a great challenge that's pretty fun. Not much to say about the map's overall design, but it more than makes up for its lack of looks with a layout that works really well for what it set out to do and does a phenomenal job at reminding us all of one of Doom's strongest aspects: Puzzle-solving using blood lust! Utilising your rocket launcher sparingly makes the difference when it comes to progression and your lack of bullets makes things all the more challenging, even after you're given a BFG (or in my case, the Unmayker) and you want to conserve ammo for the Cyberdemons, but goddamn, this horde of Imps loves to get all up in your grill at the final bout! Not much else to say, just really good fun and a clever progression concept. Top notch, Worm. Good stuff. :^)

This one killed me a lot trying to get 100% kills. It was really fun hunting the keys while luring the "bulls" around the corridors, the layout is really good, got to be really focus on what you hear and see,
and dont you dare to stare at the windows! Hardcore all the way.

MAP13 - Hole in the Net

This map felt a bit experimental, but in the good sense. Progression is really cool, an that endless loop of Imps is a beauty, fancy stuff!
 It got me entertained all the way through, imp slaughter all day long! Sadly I couldnt find the way to lower that berserker..

Map 12 was a lot of fun. I did pretty well on my first attempt, but I inevitably was cornered and blown up.

After a couple even less effective runs, I started saving mid level and I slowly but certainly made lots of progress. Only at the very end did I realize why I had such a good run... The colorful hell cybers had a battle between themselves, which kept them off of me and reduced their numbers from 4 to 3! This was a unique map and I would definitely play it again.

Map 13 was unusual. Coming into it with boatloads of ammo and OP guns with Doom Incarnate, even a field of higher tier imps does nothing as a slow stream of enemies. I definitely didn't play this one as intended so I probably can't comment too much. The secret eluded me, but I came back after exiting early to finish off the final wave. 

Map12 was the most scared I've ever been playing Doom. You bet your ass I went back and killed those cybers after I unlocked the BFG.

MAYhem 2020 Map12.png

Map13 was interesting... It was kinda cathartic mowing down imps (after I remembered that I had a full BFG and stopped chipping away at them with the shotgun). I ran like hell once I saw that exit though. I've had enough of cyberdemons for now.

MAYhem 2020 Map13.png

MAP13 - Hole in the Net

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4, pistol starts with saves, no complevel specified

I admittedly got pretty frustrated at the beginning. This is the first time in quite a while I willingly died to restart the level. You're not given much to start out with.
Once I realized I needed to ration the rockets to get through the 'nets', the level became much more exciting.

Get through one 'hole' of imps, run through, dodge fireballs, repeat. Then you're given the plasma and just enough ammo to keep mowing them down.

This orange-skyed style of brown base I actually really like, especially with the grass floors everywhere.

Spoiler

map14

An open outside map in browns and greys with some water. There are several makeshift buildings to explore, some of them only reachable by teleporter. The enemies aren't overly threatening if you overlook the minor detail of cybies haunting clomping footsteps following you where ever you go. Cybie has trouble targeting you when you exploring the buildings, so you use that to your advantage.

The most awkward part of the map is locating the weapons and ammo. Once you've sorted that out, things get quite a bit easier.

map43

An incredible map, one of my favorites. Once I worked out a viable strategy, it still took me half a dozen tries to pull it off. Part of this maps appeal is that something unexpected happens every time you do this map. Always!

The map is similar to map20 in that you want to pick a careful stealthy path through the map early on, but unlike map20 you can't avoid waking up some of the cybies before you might want to, so the pace quickens from the getgo. There are 8 cybies in all on UV and it pays to learn where the sleeping ones are and in what direction they are facing.

The basic progression I used:

1. Use switch to enable access to the top ledge (a lift you come to later). This depends heavily on rng but can be done first thing on the map.
  2. Collect red key. Easy but the barrels trap can kill you if you are unlucky with those pesky zombiemen and sergeants.
  3. Collect blue key. Easy when taken slowly.
  4. Get to and use the red and blue switches and clear the archviles.
  5. Clear and traverse the top series of ledges and collect the bfg and a invulnerability. Drop down and kill lots of cybies!
  6. Pickup the lowered yellow key and retrace steps to the yellow door. Grab secret invulnerability and clear out anything remaining below.
  7. Retrace steps to the yellow door. Kill everything inside and exit the map. Yay!

What could be easier? Hehehe!

Finding a relatively safe path through the map is not that hard to work out. Clearly you do NOT want to fire your weapon anywhere out in the open until you are ready for the consequences. It's only safe to fire at the top of enclosed lifts and in the blue floored areas.

The key to beating the map is working out how to survive when you "wake up the map". When you do that, free roaming cacodemons, pain elementals, spectres and demons spawn onto the map and they can go almost anywhere. The sleeping cybies remain at peace though. Most of the revenants, barons and arachnotrons remain confined to their upper ledges and the spider masterminds and woken cybies are mostly confined in their movement due to their size and some of the narrow passages that prevent their access. In a spoiler in a previous post I shared an 8 point brief strategy

that shows how to safely manage all the cacodemons and pain elementals and then to separately manage the roaming demons and spectres. After that, you can control the pace of the map and it is much easier.

There are some other factors that come into play. Ammunition and weaponry is limited, so you need to manage that by promoting infighting where ever you can safely do so. There are a couple of spider masterminds below the red and blue switches and a ledge full of revenants nearby. This is a great place to drag a freshly woken cybie back to for infighting good times. The red and blue switches ledge is a safe place to observe the chaos after you've cleared the archviles there.

Edited by tmorrow : grammar