Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hell Interface

As a doomer, what's your favourite real gun to actually shoot?

7 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

It's so weird to think some Doom players actually have or have touched real life guns.

It is very weird indeed. It's not at all like pressing 'E' or 'Ctrl' or clicking the left mouse button, is it? Especially since we live in a reality where there is no autoaim.

Then again, we're (also) lucky to live in a reality where giant goat-like humanoids aren't real either.

lol its nothing like pressing a mouse button, its deafening and kicks when you use it (Seriously, wear ear protection)

If you practice frequently though you get used to it and it becomes very easy to handle.

1 hour ago, Snaxalotl said:

If you practice frequently though you get used to it and it becomes very easy to handle.

I'm looking for a private teacher.

23 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

The way I recall it is that as long as the gun is at least 26 inches long in overall length (not barrel length) in a fireable condition, and not a semi-automatic, then it's a non-restricted shotgun. Folding stocks are legal, but length is counted with them folded, as typically they're able to fire in that state, so you could have a shorter barrel with a fixed stock. The shotgun would have to come with that length barrel from the factory, as well.

super_shotgun.jpg.4c4aba61acfd30d3dca6383e80b11955.jpg

P1000005_zpsc3918c71.jpg.e540ae43e74a6f6f83321a70f03db587.jpg

Dominion Arms have a number of non-restricted shotguns which are pretty short, the 'Outlaw' is the closest to the fabled Super Shotgun, it has exposed hammers rather than hidden ones, unlike Doom 2's, but to me that's just a little bit more practical. I don't actually know if the Outlaw will actually tolerate you firing both barrels at once, however, there's quite a lot of double-barreled guns where this can cause damage, so I guess maybe send them an e-mail and ask them if you want to do that.

They also have some Remington 870 clones, the "Grizzly", some which are so short as to only hold two shells in the magazine under the barrel, hence there's a variant of them available which instead uses a detachable five round box magazine.

Yea makes sense.  I don't regret going with the 20'' inch barrel in hindsight. Much more versatile.

This is what I would imagine doomguy's SSG to be in perspective to us puny humans.  - the exposed hammers + a short barrel:

sweetlord.png

I have fired so many different firearms over the years that it becomes kind of hard to choose. I think my personal favorite would be the VEPR .308, it's built to the same specifications as the RPK light machinegun, but chambered in .308/7.62x51 instead of 7.62x39, and in semi-automatic instead of automatic. It's an AK on steroids, and then some. It's heavy, but not as bad as one might think. 

As far as bolt actions, I just really love my Mosin M44 carbine. There's just a special feel to it, and sound. The Mosin Nagant rifles have a bad reputation as a shoulder buster, and they will bruise your shoulder if you don't hold it right, but they are just a joy to shoot. However I did find a cheap Chinese rubber butt-pad replacement for the steel butt-plate, and that helps reduce wear on the shoulder immensely. And ammunition is cheap. I have a Mauser 98, but it just doesn't match up to the Mosin, there's something special about those rifles.

For shotguns, I really haven't fired many shotguns. I have two Mossberg 500's, one for pheasant hunting, with a full buttstock, 28" barrel, bead sights, and five round magazine tube; the other has a 20" barrel with rifle sights, 7 round magazine tube, and an adjustable pistol grip stock. I think many people would be quite surprised just how accurate shotguns can be though. Even with the 20" smooth bore Mossberg I can get a four inch group at 20 yards with 00 buckshot, and with rifled slugs I can get a three inch group at around 100 yards.

My favorite pistol would have to be the EAA Witness, chambered in 10mm. It's an extremely well designed, reliable, and accurate firearm, with a very modest price point. I've never fired a semi-auto pistol that's quite as accurate and well balanced as the Witness, and I've fired plenty. And if you're looking at the ballistics of the cartridge, there's very few semi-auto cartridges that can come close to the 10mm. The 9mm lacks the weight, at around 115-140 grain, the .45 at 230 grain lacks the speed at 800-900 FPS. The 10mm at 180 grain, and 1000-1200 FPS is just right, it's the porridge that Goldilocks chose. The amount of energy behind the round is close to a .357 magnum, but in a semi-auto pistol. 

My favorite firearm that I've fired that I don't own would probably be my Dad's FN-FAL. That's a fun rifle to shoot; although I think the VEPR is more accurate, and it has the added advantage of most of it's replacement parts being compatible with standard AK parts. Although I was very impressed with the accuracy from a Romanian AK-74.

And oddly enough, despite over twenty years of being around firearms, and owning them personally for 18 years, I still haven't managed to shoot anyone. Or even come close to it. What a crazy world.

The only gun I've ever had a chance to shoot was a 45 cal. pistol. Seems like an impractical firearm compared to other models if anything, but the somewhat brutal feeling you get when shooting it is plenty satisfying at the range.

My grandpa has a modest collection of guns and I like to go out into the desert, find a mound of loose earth somewhere and shoot with him whenever I visit.  We like to prop up things like cans and clay targets, they give more feedback than paper since they break apart or go flying when hit right.  I couldn't tell you exactly what guns he owns, I'm terrible with remembering such things and don't know the names of any guns besides the BFG 9000

I haven't fired a shotgun in probably 15 years or more, when I was in the Boy Scouts, but I remember trap shooting being pretty fun.  My grandpa has a shotgun too but they're a lot less interesting to shoot if your targets aren't moving.

I really like any variety of M1911 handgun, chambered in whatever caliber from .38 up to 10mm, as long as it's the original single stack magazine design. It's the most ergonomic gun I have ever held. When shooting generic 9mm handguns, I usually get a grouping of 8" at 15 yards. The first time I shot a M1911, my grouping shrunk down to 2" at 15 yards.

I think it's because a lot of modern 9mm handguns have a double stack magazine which creates a big fat grip that my hands can't comfortably hold.

300px-M1911_A1_pistol.jpg

Australia so no real guns for me.  Even replica gel blasters are illegal in my state, but that didn't stop me from enjoying shooting an aug and vektor.

For me it's more circumstantial. There are certainly guns I would consider to be more practical for different purposes but when it comes to just having fun and doing some shooting that mostly just goes out the window. For example, found a sort of children's game at a thrift store that was a felt sheet with a drawing of a mini-golf course on it, I suspect velcro balls would be thrown at it. Used some impromptu rules and an old Ruger p95. Was a good time with friends. Picked up an ancient .38 revolver with a bent barrel from a garage sale dirt cheap once and that was fun just trying to hit a target with. Chipping away at a bowling ball with a Mosin Nagant was fun. Etc, etc.

2 hours ago, anon said:

I've only fired a taurus g3, but if you want to get technical computers exist in the real world as physical objects so my favorite would be the pp bizon from csgo. :P

I'm kind of curious about the Pistolet Pulemyet Bizon, I would love to fire one, but I really don't think the helical magazine would work that well in an automatic weapon. For the same reasons that the FN-P90 has problems, the round has to be rotated to be loaded into the chamber. It's a great idea, it makes the firearm more compact, but rotating a cartridge to chamber it has always had failure issues. 

Firing an LMG was the most kickass but shotgun was the most "chill".

But if these count too, bows were cool and I'd like to try out the same in the future. 

Back in the early 2000's I went to a gun club with my friends dad and got to use an AK-47, M-14 and a double barrel shotgun (Couldn't tell you what kind it was). I just remember being afraid of the AK and M-14, they were intimidating lol. Shooting at clay pigeons with the shotgun was fun though. That's the last time I ever really used or fired and kind of guns at all. I personally don't enjoy them, but I can see/understand the appeal of going to the firing range and shooting at targets. 

On 8/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, Jello said:

I'm kind of curious about the Pistolet Pulemyet Bizon, I would love to fire one, but I really don't think the helical magazine would work that well in an automatic weapon. For the same reasons that the FN-P90 has problems, the round has to be rotated to be loaded into the chamber. It's a great idea, it makes the firearm more compact, but rotating a cartridge to chamber it has always had failure issues. 

The Bizon can work pretty well with its helical magazines, but they need to be kept clean enough, and the spring mechanism needs to be wound up an appropriate number of times, not too little, not too much.

They transitioned towards much more conventional magazines at later times, as they're much cheaper and easier to make, and can much more easily be made absolutely dead reliable compared to more complex setups like drums and helical magazines.

In the western world, there does exist the Calico family of guns, they have their quirks and drawbacks, but some people get them to work perfectly fine, it seeming like they vastly prefer hotter loaded ammo over lighter target loads.

I've never been all that fond of the idea of the 5.7x28mm cartridge, but I haven't heard of the P90 having any major problems with its magazines.

My favorite gun is a Remington (maybe?) .22 caliber bolt action from the 50s. It comes with a story. 

I'm a Hoosier, target shooting and regular carrying is just a part of culture here. I've always grown up around guns, being taught to safely handle them, and I've always been comfortable with them. Well my dad has had a lawn and landscaping business since I was a kid, maybe 11 or 12. An early account (that we still have today, much later) were some family friends. Charlie, the husband and Pookie, the wife. I'm sure her actual name is different but this is the only one I've known her by. Anyway, after a particularly large landscaping contract, Charlie very kindly gifted my dad a gun. See when Charlie grew up in the 50s, kids from age 8 - 12 always had BB guns. Charlie's dad said, "I can't let you have a BB gun, they're dangerous. I don't want you getting hurt." Clearly, the more logical option was to give young Charlie a firearm (lol). This makes sense (sorta) if you put yourself in a kid's shoes; a BB gun is a toy so accidents will happen, but a rifle is a weapon and require more care. Anyway, Charlie's dad went a bought him a little .22 rifle (may have been a Winchester, seriously can't remember). Charlie loved this little gun and cherished it for years until it came to my family. I love the gun too, both for the story and for the actual firearm. It is tiny, ridiculously light, even for a .22, and only allows for one round to be chambered. This little gun shoots 22 short, as opposed to 22LR and has no magazine. You simply open the action with the bolt, place the round in the chamber, close the bolt, and pull the little pin at the back of the bolt to load it. These steps are done every time it is fired, so the rate of fire is a blistering five rounds a minute heh. Either way, despite the light weight and short barrel, this gun is dead - on accurate. Unbelievablely so. It's definitely one of my favorites to fire and has been for a long time. 

I have another BB gun story but it's not super related, so I'll spoiler it. 

Spoiler

My grandpa growing up was one of six kids in a very poor family. When he and his brother got older, my great grandparents gifted them BB guns. A bunch of rambunctious boys in the late forties did what most would expect - a song bird murder spree so bad Atticus Finch would have put them in jail. At the end of the week, my 11 year old grandpa and his brother had killed over 200 birds. My great grandma loved the songs the birds would sing in the morning. To quote my grandpa, she "beat their butts til they were black and blue." They learned their lesson lol.

I would love to get my hands on any real gun to shoot, but too bad I live in Vietnam. I'd love to go out to America to go to a gun range and shoot one someday, if I have the money...

Edited by Panzermann11