Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

I'm late to the party but I was wondering how does one do the noclip cheat on the switch as its not in the menu, I know you can type it in the PC version but hooking up a usb keyboard to my switch lite is a no go as the keyboard only works on the intro videos. 

I am also noticing some monsters get stuck on parts of the geometry sometimes with the Unity port. I had this happen in E1M9 and E1M5 of Doom I so far.

That's probably vanilla behavior. We haven't touched the AI or anything like that in order to remain demo compatible with vanilla. I don't think E1M5 and M9 haven't had nodes rebuilt or anything either.

4 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

• "Fast monsters" appears to be bugged(?)

Fast monsters does not seem to be bugged to me. Maybe you need to be more specific in this description, and remember to compare it with chocolate doom. Comparing with GZDoom is pointless given how it changes all the rules, even with its compat flags. 

Edited by Edward850

I see. And I'm seeing the original endings are cut from the Unity port, I just went through Dis in Doom I's Unity port and it just skipped to the credits FMV of the porting team and the original developers where it was supposed to show the ending with Daisy's served head on a spike with the burning building from the original Doom.

Update: Tried swapping the Unity port's IWAD with the original version's and the ending still gets skipped in the Unity port.

Edited by AmethystViper : Follow-up update.

15 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I see. And I'm seeing the original endings are cut from the Unity port, I just went through Dis in Doom I's Unity port and it just skipped to the credits FMV of the porting team and the original developers where it was supposed to show the ending with Daisy's served head on a spike with the burning building from the original Doom.

Huh, weird. I could of sworn @sponge said he fixed that, but sure enough it still skips it.

Edit: Something must be afoot, they work for Sponge, hmm...

Edited by Edward850

The language localized text scroller goes a little too fast and you have to wait uncomfortably long as a result, but level selecting into E3M8, putting on iddqd/idkfa, and running up to Spidey and BFG'ing it brings up the new intermission screen, the text screen, and then not touching anything eventually transitions to the (new widescreen!) bunny ending graphics.

In vanilla, you couldn't skip the text scroller, so skipping the text scroller just pops up the video credits.

unknown.png

For Unity Doom on PC, how does the Local Multiplayer work?

Like is it 4 players on a single PC, local to the specific people you want to play with, or something else?

2 minutes ago, DangerousDave said:

For Unity Doom on PC, how does the Local Multiplayer work?

Like is it 4 players on a single PC, local to the specific people you want to play with, or something else?

Yes, that is what local multiplayer is for any game. This isn't a terminology unique to Doom.

Just now, Edward850 said:

Yes, that is what local multiplayer is for any game.

Are you referring to the beginning of my second question, or of the latter part where I ask if it's local to specific people?

I can't figure out if it's like multiplayer on like an N64 (4 IRL players) or multiplayer like Terraria or Stardew Valley (4 players through online connection).

Its Local and each player needs their own controller, also player one has both keyboard and first controller, so you need at least two controllers, you might be able to use steam's remote play if playing on pc

2 minutes ago, Rexen² said:

Its Local and each player needs their own controller, also player one has both keyboard and first controller, so you need at least two controllers, you might be able to use steam's remote play if playing on pc

It seems weird they added that kind of multiplayer considering the current state of the world, but Remote Play at least sounds like a decent alternative for people who'd rather play online. I'm guessing Local is something they had for console versions (probably feasible for Switch)?

17 minutes ago, DangerousDave said:

I can't figure out if it's like multiplayer on like an N64 (4 IRL players) or multiplayer like Terraria or Stardew Valley (4 players through online connection).

Local means local. 4 players in an online connection is not local. 4 players over a LAN is not local either. So yes it does mean the "like N64" one. 

Just now, Edward850 said:

Local means local. 4 players in an online connection is not local. 4 players over a LAN is not local either. So yes it does mean the "like N64" one. 

Thank you for clarifying and answering my questions, it was pretty helpful.

1 minute ago, DangerousDave said:

It seems weird they added that kind of multiplayer considering the current state of the world, but Remote Play at least sounds like a decent alternative for people who'd rather play online. I'm guessing Local is something they had for console versions (probably feasible for Switch)?

I'm guessing that was the case seeing that the Unity re-release was made for consoles (and mobile) first and the PC version was something to give an official alternative to DOSBox or using source port, and considering the portability of the Switch, Switch owners can set it up in table top mode or have it docked at another friend's house or something along those lines and play some games with the Joy Cons and/or a few Switch Pro Controllers. Speaking of Remote Play, that is something I was curious about trying with the Steam version of the Unity re-release, though haven't been able to find people to sit down and experiment.

7 minutes ago, DangerousDave said:

This is just logistics really. Doom's original netcode is extremely not suitable for modern online play, and adding a brand new netcode isn't something you just do. They already had the splitscreen code from all the way back from the original Xbox version, so they just kept that.

1 minute ago, AmethystViper said:

I'm guessing that was the case seeing that the Unity re-release was made for consoles (and mobile) first and the PC version was something to give an official alternative to DOSBox or using source port, and considering the portability of the Switch, Switch owners can set it up in table top mode or have it docked at another friend's house or something along those lines and play some games with the Joy Cons and/or a few Switch Pro Controllers. Speaking of Remote Play, that is something I was curious about trying with the Steam version of the Unity re-release, though haven't been able to find people to sit down and experiment.

I've never used Remote Play and I'm not even sure if a crappy-but-not-crappy laptop could get it to work well, but I suppose they gave it that to substitute for the Local Multiplayer which isn't that useful on a PC. On a Switch though, definitely.

Doom is mostly a singleplayer game though, so it wouldn't be surprising that they focused on that first and would probably work on multiplayer stuff later.

Just now, DangerousDave said:

I've never used Remote Play and I'm not even sure if a crappy-but-not-crappy laptop could get it to work well, but I suppose they gave it that to substitute for the Local Multiplayer which isn't that useful on a PC. On a Switch though, definitely.

Doom is mostly a singleplayer game though, so it wouldn't be surprising that they focused on that first and would probably work on multiplayer stuff later.

It's work fairly well, as the player that will join don't need to have the game, it's like if steam opened a screen share program, and the player can only use the options of the player that it's controling. It's more on how the internet conection is on the players, and if that not really ooold hardware

10 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

This is just logistics really. Doom's original netcode is extremely not suitable for modern online play, and adding a brand new netcode isn't something you just do. They already had the splitscreen code from all the way back from the original Xbox version, so they just kept that.

So, modernizing the old Doom games is unfeasible because you'd need to replace a 24-25 year old netcode with something that doesn't wreck the game or break multiplayer itself?

2 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

It's work fairly well, as the player that will join don't need to have the game, it's like if steam opened a screen share program, and the player can only use the options of the player that it's controling. It's more on how the internet conection is on the players, and if that not really ooold hardware

My internet connection isn't the best, but it could possibly handle that. And a lot of Remote Play compatible games are like old Sega, Valve, or id Software games, so it might be easier to play with another person.

19 minutes ago, DangerousDave said:

So, modernizing the old Doom games is unfeasible because you'd need to replace a 24-25 year old netcode with something that doesn't wreck the game or break multiplayer itself?

It's not as adding a new netcode can't be done, but it presents numerous challenges behind it that don't present straightforward solutions. Doom was designed to only transmit player inputs to eachother and the rest of the game required that (and took advantage of) each player's local instance to produce identical results with the same inputs (this is also how its demo's work). Compare and contrast with Quake, which was designed to have an asynchronous snapshot model for netcode as a result, the client could just be told to do something specific and it would do it, but the game's design is restricted to the concept that the client must produce results based on a limited amount of information (so it could fit in the network buffers).

13 minutes ago, randomgamerguy1997 said:

is it just me or is "always run" too fast?

It's just you. Nothing has been modified about the player's move speed at all. "always run" is explicitly just the game treating it as if you are holding down the speed key all the time.

Does anyone know how to make it so Steam launches the DOS version by default on my desktop shortcut instead of the Unity one? The update is cool but I wanna keep my simple Gzdoom.

Oh, that reminds me, and I know this isn't relating to the Unity re-release itself, but, after seeing a minor DOSBox update to the original Doom games (but it's still outdated since the official DOSBox is currently v0.74-3), but @sponge is there any possibility to update the DOS version of Doom and Doom II on Steam to not only use a more up-to-date DOSBox, but also correct the wrong DOSBox settings that the Steam release was shipped with (the double-buffering setting was what caused the DOS version to freeze when booting the game for a lot of players, myself included) and restore missing files like the SETUP.EXE that was meant to configure the DOS version's settings? It's something that has bothered me since getting Doom II years back on Steam and have been even more annoyed with since after buying the games again on GOG which didn't have these mistakes with DOSBox nor missing important files.

Quick edit: Is it possible to find out the minimum and recommended system requirements of the Unity re-release of the Doom games? The Bethesda store page only mentions "Windows XP/Vista" for the operating system only (assuming that was just for the DOS version using DOSBox), but the Unity re-release uses a 64-bit executable and another Steam forum user found it uses DirectX 11 API after running the game through MSI Afterburner.

Edited by AmethystViper : Follow-up question.

So it seems I'm completely unable to bind controller input, in both the Steam and Bethesda.net versions of Doom 1. I have two controllers (both PS4), and neither of them could input anything. Controller bindings are also totally blank, so I can't even rely on default settings.

I also found that after navigating to the "Restore Defaults" button via keyboard, it's become very difficult (if not impossible) to navigate away from it afterwards. I'd just be stuck on the button unless I used my mouse. It seems to be stuck there now, every time I boot up the game.

EDIT: Okay weirdly, I can still skip the intros with X, and pressing a controller button on the initial "Press to Start" screen works. But as soon as I'm in the menu, it stops accepting controller inputs. Everything is grayed out in the controller column of the configuration screen.

DOOM_20200906_18-19-06-378.png.7eb1750357dd4d43e7f2d98ab3bbea78.png

Doom 2 doesn't gray out the controller column, and seems to function just fine.

Edited by Lollie