Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

TNT and Plutonia contain the old STBAR graphic, which is still 320-wide, so the new widescreen status bar is lost despite not using custom graphics.

Double Impact has an STBAR replacement but it's been updated to 426 width, so it's fine.

The BTSX episodes also replace the STBAR, and they're not widescreen, but neither are the title screen and other such graphics so it's normal.

Hi everyone! I'm new here so first off I just want to say thank you @sponge for all your hard work. These ports are a godsend on consoles. The 16:9 and vsync options along with dehacked support are fantastic additions. But it seems that the render resolution has been lowered, at least on ps4. Objects in the distance are near unreadable now. I'm pretty sure this is the resolution of the phone target that got accidentally set on the ps4 target along with the touchpad registering as a touch device and bringing up the phone ui. 

4 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

And already the Steam forums and reviews for Doom I and II are having ungrateful losers lashing out over the new Unity ports showing up.

Which is why they should be avoided altogether just like other places, they've turned into a hive of idiocy.

Edited by seed

I just noticed that having Caps Lock on causes inputting classic cheat codes for Doom in the Unity port causes the cheat input to not work for the PC version. @sponge Any chance this can be looked into along with the mouse input issues caused by unlocking the frame-rate on PC?

The update is fantastic! well done to @sponge and the team.

The 16:9 aspect ratio is now perfect.I also love the removal of the Doom logo on start up if you have an active Add-on, It really gives you the feeling you're playing a different experience as intended.

I have turned the cross hair off as I've never played Doom with a cross hair and it just felt strange as did the motion controls. 

One thing I've had happen is after quitting a game I get the notification for 'Deathless' appears on screen as if I've opened up the News section at the main menu.

I commented on this thread a few weeks back about the prospect of Eviternity maybe being included as an Add-on maybe one day and I was told that it wasn't possible but now with the port being 'DeHacked' I've read that a few of you believe this could now be a possibility? Or have I got this wrong? 

17 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

I commented on this thread a few weeks back about the prospect of Eviternity maybe being included as an Add-on maybe one day and I was told that it wasn't possible but now with the port being 'DeHacked' I've read that a few of you believe this could now be a possibility? Or have I got this wrong? 

Eviternity is a Boom levelset, which the ports currently have no support for. So it’s closer to being a possibility but far from a reality at this point.

2 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Eviternity is a Boom levelset, which the ports currently have no support for. So it’s closer to being a possibility but far from a reality at this point.

Ok cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

18 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

All things considered, Eviternity is a very advanced mapset. It utilizes functionality that's technically more advanced than MBF (which is itself more advanced than Boom), not to mention all the GZDoom specific stuff.

While it's theoretically possible that the new Unity ports will one day be developed enough to be able to read and play MBF-format maps, we're a long way from there currently.

3 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

And already the Steam forums and reviews for Doom I and II are having ungrateful losers lashing out over the new Unity ports showing up.

JtfLgrS.jpg

Steam forums are worse than YT comments. I actually came back to the Doom Eternal forums recently after leaving once and I can see perfectly why I left. Just complete utter toxicity and negativity over anything remotely new or even otherwise.

Wow, the sheer potential of having DeHackEd is through the roof and it makes me very excited to see what new wads Id plans to release. This port has really come a long way from its initial release, and it's great to see so many great wads becoming more accessible to a wider audience. Hopefully this brings in even more people to the doom modding community.

16 hours ago, EANB said:

I don't know if this happened with the Deathless update or now, but the Spiderdemon's collision size seems to be massively reduced. Not only can you get much closer, but you can also literally run against her back and she wont wake up. Generally this will be a quality of life increase, but it could introduce problems down the line because her huge size was sometimes used to block enemies or progression.

Could it be that Deathless' Dehacked gameplay features (original idgames version of Deathless had reduced lost soul hp and reduced SM's radius) have been re-added because now the Bethesda Doom port supports Dehacked.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

Could it be that Deathless' Dehacked gameplay features (original idgames version of Deathless had reduced lost soul hp and reduced SM's radius) have been re-added because now the Bethesda Doom port supports Dehacked.

Nope, there's no DEHACKED lump in there. Only Sigil and BTSX2 have one at the moment.

Something else to report on, the Unity ports on PC are lacking actual 4:3 resolutions (e.g. 640x480, 1280x960), something many other Unity-developed games like BallisticNG for example can display at. So is there any possibility of that also being looked into for the PC version @sponge?

On another note, I was able to backport the original red medical crosses from the original Doom IWADs back into the Unity

port's IWADs. If I can figure out how to do the same for the Wolfenstein levels, we could have the best of both worlds with this port.

2280_20200904135134_1.png.80a80e196ebf78afadaeb40f105d9120.png

You know, there is something I would love to see in the new IWADs, since they're well, their own thing, and that is more fixes to the original maps and games.

When talking about maps, I'd love to see Underhalls restored to its original glory in particular.

6 hours ago, Syntax said:

It seems that the render resolution has been lowered, at least on ps4. Objects in the distance are near unreadable now. I'm pretty sure this is the resolution of the phone target that got accidentally set on the ps4 target along with the touchpad registering as a touch device and bringing up the phone ui. 

I second that. After installing latest update I decided to check out Doom 2 with widescreen for the first time on my PS4 and immediately noticed that something is very wrong with resolution or anti aliasing, there are very distracting jaggies now everywhere in the distance, which weren't there before. I hope it'll be fixed in the next patch. 

1 hour ago, sponge said:

Thanks for all the feedback on the new update so far! I can't dive into too many specifics and future plans, but we are definitely collecting what's been reported here and elsewhere.

While an official port can't ever match the collective efforts of projects like Crispy, Eternity, and (G)ZDoom, I think what we have now offers a great alternative to the DOS version, with some stuff like gyro aim on PC and the new official widescreen art that are unique spins on things that we can offer. I've been in the orbit of Doomworld and D1/D2 communities for a long time, it truly is remarkable that such an old community is around, and still has a sense of positivity around its subject matter.

It's looking good. I'm glad a v-sync toggle was implemented for better mouse feel for people with only 60 hz displays. Widescreen title screen looks nice too.

I have some feedback I'd like to give just in case.

-Bring back "follow mode on/off" in the map. It has always been a feature of PC Doom in both vanilla and source ports.

-Also bring back map markers for the same reason.

-In 4:3 mode, maybe it'd be better if messages were displayed in the game area and not on top of the left bar.

-Automap is still 16:9 in 4:3 mode (but the info on display is 4:3).

-Maybe move the k/s/i counters down a bit so they don't get blocked by the messages (kinda like Cripsy Doom).

-The E1M4 song still has that tiny mistake where the pause is not long enough.

Keep up the good work

1 hour ago, Allhailnewflesh said:

I second that. After installing latest update I decided to check out Doom 2 with widescreen for the first time on my PS4 and immediately noticed that something is very wrong with resolution or anti aliasing, there are very distracting jaggies now everywhere in the distance, which weren't there before. I hope it'll be fixed in the next patch. 

I believe dropping the resolution was intentional. Doom's renderer is a fickle beast, you require exponentially more CPU power thd higher the resolution is, adding widescreen would have upped the CPU requirement further otherwise, and the higher it is the more blatant the mathematics behind it break down. Doom2's The Chasm would constantly have flats warp with their lines bleeding at the bottom of the screen at 960x600 before.

Just because it's 2020, it doesn't make these problems just vanish. Not by a long shot. 

If the Unity ports were to ever use the Unofficial games for DOOM, would they have to contact every developer, or the Wraith corporation (who I think is now owned by Atari)? I'm not including HacX or The Lost Levels, since Banjo is no longer around, and The Lost Levels were made by a bunch of regular DOOM mappers.

5 hours ago, sponge said:

Thanks for all the feedback on the new update so far! I can't dive into too many specifics and future plans, but we are definitely collecting what's been reported here and elsewhere.

While an official port can't ever match the collective efforts of projects like Crispy, Eternity, and (G)ZDoom, I think what we have now offers a great alternative to the DOS version, with some stuff like gyro aim on PC and the new official widescreen art that are unique spins on things that we can offer. I've been in the orbit of Doomworld and D1/D2 communities for a long time, it truly is remarkable that such an old community is around, and still has a sense of positivity around its subject matter.

I greatly appreciate the efforts you guys are doing, its been long overdue that PC got an official port on modern services instead of crusty old DOSBox.

A few bits of feedback that may or may not be possible;

UV+ isn't in the New Game menu, only in level select, leading to some confusion already. Would it be possible to expand the feature, to say, press right on a difficulty to add a +, or even more +s? This way you could press right on UV to enable UV Fast, right again to enable UV Solonet, right a third time to enable UV Fast Solonet (the current UV+). Ive always wanted a Solonet option, but UV Fast is too much for me x3 Im just thinking of accessibility (Nightmare Solonet, dear god!)

Secondly, could we get steam achievements later on, maybe even trading cards if theres enough viable art for the games? Achievements to work towards would definitely pull me off GZDoom for a while, got all the non-coop non-speedrun ones in the PS4 ports. Never ended up playing the add-ons on PS4 since there wasnt much of a reward for doing so; I just ended up playing NRFTL on PC

6 hours ago, sponge said:

A couple of requests, if you will:
Mouse aiming feels weird, as if there's some acceleration going on. An option to turn it off would be much appreciated.

Steam achievements would be nice.

Otherwise, I'm really happy about it finally reaching Steam, and with such great new features to boot. I was always a minimalist when it comes to source ports and to me this port does pretty much everything I want out of a Doom port.

6 hours ago, seed said:

You know, there is something I would love to see in the new IWADs, since they're well, their own thing, and that is more fixes to the original maps and games.

When talking about maps, I'd love to see Underhalls restored to its original glory in particular.

There's a considerable amount of missing textures throughout Doom 2 (often a lower or upper texture on the wrong sidedef) and occasional unclosed sectors.    And double placed things in map31.   Double-placed DM starts in map32.   Things flagged never to appear, at least in map25.   And yeah v1.666 Underhalls was much better than 1.7 through 1.9.

I thought the only thing different about OG Underhalls was the silver bars before the first switch? I know the old Gantlet doesn't have the backpack secret which sucks.

I didn't realize BTSX Ep. 2 came out on the Unity ports on August 14th. I thought it was August 1st or 3rd. That was 50 days after Ep. 1 was ported. I would imagine the first WAD to implement DeHackEd features won't come out for another month. Well, that gives me time to make a list of mods/WADs I want added (LoL). 

Love the gyro aim on the console versions!

My only gripes are really on the PC side

-Feels like mouse acceleration is forced on

-Cant lower mouse sensitivity enough, I have a high DPI mouse and turning is still very fast on the lowest setting

-16:10 resolutions letterbox the 16:9 mode. It would be better if it just cut the sides off the 16:9 mode a bit so that it fills the screen. I know 16:10 monitors aren't very common but they are making a comeback on several laptops, and are standard on Macs and so forth. 3:2 resolutions on Surface laptops as well.

EDIT: Oh! And let us bind the Strafe modifier for the turn controls, if you really want to support speedrunners (for SR50)

Edited by Tarvis

6 hours ago, Tarvis said:

Love the gyro aim on the console versions!

My only gripes are really on the PC side

-Feels like mouse acceleration is forced on

Mouse aiming got better after I turned off Vsync and set the FPS to 120.

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I thought the only thing different about OG Underhalls was the silver bars before the first switch? I know the old Gantlet doesn't have the backpack secret which sucks.

In 1.7 they shifted the whole map to be closer to 0,0 coordinates, resulting in misaligned floor textures (teleporter at least), and enemies and barrels stuck in walls.   In 1.9 there's still stuff stuck in walls and there always has been an unclosed sector in the room close to the red bars.

Someone on the Steam forums mention it could be possibly due to the frame-rate limiter itself being bugged and apparently only renders at 60 FPS but not properly running above that without mouse aiming issues happening (a similar issue he encountered with the game SOMA when running above 60 FPS). I imagine this is probably difficult to get 120+ FPS for some to work with some mouse users without having the increased frame-rate breaking the game's frame-rate logic. Some other things I want to report on or give suggestion to, @sponge:

• Possibility of different border styles for playing in 4:3 and have the option for a simple black border in addition having the messages for items/secrets appear within the game screen when playing with the 4:3 aspect-ratio instead out going out of the 4:3 viewport when playing on a widescreen resolution that someone else here mentioned.

• I find that the word "Override" when overwriting a save file to me seems odd instead of using "Overwrite" and I was working of that could be corrected.

• Is there a possibility of adding the ability deleting save slots in-game?

• I ran into a random but minor(?) issue where using trying to save a file with keyboard didn't work and the only way I was able to fix it was backing out of the menu with a controller

• [Could be just trying to mod the game] It seems like if the bytes are different in the Unity port's IWAD than the stock version, it causes the game to crash, yet doesn't have issue with reading the original DOS version's IWAD (which I am thankful it can use the original IWAD and glad the option is there).

• "Fast monsters" appears to be bugged(?)

Speaking of modding the Unity port, at the risk of shilling, I have written a guide on Steam on how to restore the original Wolfenstein levels' textures and the original medkit if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Edited by AmethystViper : Some corrections and another note.