Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

2 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Could the D64D2 crashes be related to the fact that there are Boom format maps in the wad or something?

Doubt it. Those are separate maps from the vanilla versions. The game shouldn't even try to load those.

Another minor nitpick: The Final Doom IWADs downloaded from Bethesda.net, despite being updated with the new widescreen art, They missing the widescreen HUD the Doom and Doom II IWAD has. Using TNT as an example.

Stock:
2300_20200908132924_1.png.cf317e79fbc1f0098cab1cba41ab5969.png

Widescreen HUD re-implemented:
2300_20200908142823_1.png.f840bee1c3d648f6f029f0e054600690.png

13 hours ago, Gez said:

D2TWID contains string replacements for sprite names for actors used in the secret maps.

I figured that I should link my response from another thread to here. I've noticed this with any custom sprites defined in DEHACKED, but for me they don't crash the game. They're simply ignored. Sprite replacements only work if all sprites are replaced, like in Doom 4 Vanilla. My mod is Chocolate Doom compatible and another mod I tested, fraggle's smooth weapons mod for DEHACKED, he tested in Vanilla Doom/DOS and it doesn’t work in Unity either.

Edited by UndeadRyker

22 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

Another minor nitpick: The Final Doom IWADs downloaded from Bethesda.net, despite being updated with the new widescreen art, They missing the widescreen HUD the Doom and Doom II IWAD has. Using TNT as an example.

They contain a copy of the original STBAR (since they were IWADs originally), but they don't need it since they are loaded as PWADs. So removing the STBAR lump (and any other lump not present in the Ultimate Doom IWAD*) should fix it.

* The Ultimate Doom IWAD, not the Doom II IWAD. Because they've been made to work with either game, and Ultimate Doom does not contain all the sprites and sounds that Doom II has.

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

They contain a copy of the original STBAR (since they were IWADs originally), but they don't need it since they are loaded as PWADs. So removing the STBAR lump (and any other lump not present in the Ultimate Doom IWAD*) should fix it.

* The Ultimate Doom IWAD, not the Doom II IWAD. Because they've been made to work with either game, and Ultimate Doom does not contain all the sprites and sounds that Doom II has.

Thank you, Gez for the info.

I also noticed the executable icon for the game's window on the title bar sometimes shows but other times doesn't.

On the Xbox One version the only thing i dislike is how the turning controls feel with vsync on. I definitely noticed some slight lag while turning. With vsync disabled turning feels great but then i get a bunch of screen tearing on my TV so i'm not to happy about that. It's pretty much the same issue i have with a lot of FPS games when i play them on PC. Screen tearing tends to give me a headache but i can usually adjust it with my GPU settings on PC but not on my Xbox sadly. I can probably get used to playing with vsync on though. It'll just take some time.

Besides that, the addition of the 16:9 ratio is great. When you switch it back to 4:3 the sides of the screen are green (marble ?) instead of the "black faces" or w/e they were before. I'd personally rather have it black like it was before so it's not so bright but it's only a tiny nitpick. I'll probably play in 16:9 anyways. 

I don't need a crosshair since i don't look up/down but having the option is nice (the more options the better).

Dehacked support (on the PC version, not sure about this console version) is nice as well, even if it has to be patched into the wad itself (or so i heard).

23 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Can't say I've had any input lag issues on PS4.

Yeah quite a few say they never had lag. I would like you to try playing with VSync disabled, you may find moving and shooting easier than before?

6 hours ago, Silverforte said:

The new option to disable vsync is a godsend. This port now feels as responsive as the xbla version which is fantasic. Many thanks!

Yep. Thanks to Vsync toggle alone, this is the best update for me. Even better than the add ons update...

Well, I was able to get Rebirth, TVR!, Scythe 2, and Eternal Doom fully working by running them through DEUSF.

Am I the only one having a hard time seeing the crosshair when its on a target (am playing the Switch version)? I personally find the dark red and slightly shrunken size difficult to see on the tv as it seems to blend in with the pixels and palette. It's kind of a shame and it'd be nice to have an option for a static crosshair, but it might just simply be a problem for me.

Am loving that widescreen and current presentation though. I was a bit disappointed with how the Switch port looked compared with the PS4 version prior to this update; Im assuming its the widescreen that indirectly helps it.

27 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I thought I'd share this Steam thread here that is trying to consolidate constructive feedback and issue reporting on the Unity port, featuring some things mentioned here before and some other things people are suggesting.

Thank you for the shoutout.

Edit: And now I just remembered I already have an account on Doomworld. Damned.

2 minutes ago, ThermalLance said:

Thank you for the shoutout.

Edit: And now I just remembered I already have an account on Doomworld. Damned.

All good now. So yeah, thanks for the shoutout again.

Upon closer inspection, Scythe 2's Map30 will crash if you attack at all. Seems to have something to do with the out of bounds areas containing teleporting monsters, the game crashes if I noclip over there as well.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:44 AM, Gez said:

Now it'd be interesting to see the common denominators between the mods that crash.

• CChest is a Boom mapset. The crashy maps probably have some Boom-specific effects that the port doesn't handle gracefully.
  • D2TWID contains string replacements for sprite names for actors used in the secret maps.
  • D64D2, I dunno
  • ETERNALL crashing is puzzling, since it's a vanilla-compatible mod and doesn't contain DEHACKED. (I remember people successfully playing Eternal Doom in Doom Eternal...)
  • NDCP: Uses BEX strings for level names
  • PL2: contains string replacement for textscreen flats and music names
  • TVR!: no idea, vanilla mapset without DEHACKED
  • SCYTHE2: not sure, there is a dehacked lump but it doesn't seem to do anything outlandish
  • REBIRTH1: no idea, vanilla mapset without DEHACKED
  • REVILUTION: no idea, vanilla mapset without DEHACKED

They're using the IWAD that came with the Bethesda port instead of the regular IWAD. No WolfSS = constant crashing for wads that require them.

1 hour ago, SteelPH said:

Upon closer inspection, Scythe 2's Map30 will crash if you attack at all. Seems to have something to do with the out of bounds areas containing teleporting monsters, the game crashes if I noclip over there as well.

I crash when I try to start a game with Scythe 2. No idea why.

4 minutes ago, Thermal Lance said:

I crash when I try to start a game with Scythe 2. No idea why.

It's a vanilla Doom quirk where in if a pwad replaces a sprite, all sprites must be present, otherwise the game crashes. The Unity port doesn't fix this.

1 minute ago, SteelPH said:

It's a vanilla Doom quirk where in if a pwad replaces a sprite, all sprites must be present, otherwise the game crashes. The Unity port doesn't fix this.

Kind of annoying. Finding wads to play with this sounds like walking through a minefield.

Just now, Thermal Lance said:

Kind of annoying. Finding wads to play with this sounds like walking through a minefield.

Running the crashing wads through DEUSF with the -app parameter will at the very least fix the sprite issue.

1 minute ago, SteelPH said:

Running the crashing wads through DEUSF with the -app parameter will at the very least fix the sprite issue.

Yeah, im not that knowledgable. At this point I'd use PrBoom+ and call it a day. XD

I hope they are able to fix/implement whatever is needed for that to be fixed.

Decided to finally play Plutonia. Not bad so far. I died a bit, but not too much. Playing on ITYTD, though. I'm on the Arch-Vile maze level, so I'm gonna have to grind. Thank god I have a Plasma Rifle!

9 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Decided to finally play Plutonia. Not bad so far. I died a bit, but not too much. Playing on ITYTD, though. I'm on the Arch-Vile maze level, so I'm gonna have to grind. Thank god I have a Plasma Rifle!

Save before the exit.
You will thanks me later.

3 hours ago, SteelPH said:

In the modern day I prefer to avoid stuff like this, its why I avoid archaic stuff like Chocolate. User accessibility is a must.

17 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Save before the exit.
You will thanks me later.

Now I'm scared to even pick up Plutonia again! 

I'm just kidding! It's fun! I thought it would be easier than BTSX, it is just very strategic. At the end of every level, You think it's the end, and then a bunch of demons appear, so I'm pretty used to saving before an exit. Thank you for the tip, though! I would hate to restart a level with that many arch-viles (or with an arch-vile).

An alternative is to use SP respawn in RUDE with backpacks and keeping keys. Right now i'm playing 1000 lines 2 in classic mode (only D1 monsters so it's easier but there are a lot of barons).

Or you can use the resurrect cheat with iqqdq (from Crispy but a bit different).

This is my command line: rude-doom -file 1klinecp2.wad -nod2monsters -sprespawn -backpack -keepkeys