Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leejacksonaudio

Do You Own a Device Capable of Playing Audio CDs?

Do You Own a Device Capable of Playing Audio CDs?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Own a Device Capable of Playing Audio CDs?

• Yes
    • No

52 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Have your Tygress Album here on my Phone i am writing on, on my PC at Work and the PC at Home.

Just curious - where did you purchase the album, and in what original format?

Apart from our desktop computers used individually as a family, we have a Sony CD Boombox. 

Does that count?

I have a DVD drive in my computer that can read CDs I think.

But I own no physical music whatsoever. Simply double clicking an album in winamp is infinitely more convenient, and takes up none of the limited physical space I have available. It's such a shame when artists only make music available in physical formats.

10 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Just curious - where did you purchase the album, and in what original format?

On Bandcamp, Flac and MP3, the latter one i would otherwise convert myself to save Space on my Phone :D

4 hours ago, DrinkyBird said:

winamp

Best Player ever, i also am still using it.

I use the DVD drive in my PC mostly. I sometimes use a PS2, which I shouldn't do since they can break so easily.

My home stereo has a cd/dvd/b-ray player. 

A 19 old pioneer DVR 620H-S dvd-recorder.

A portable AIWA CD player.

An external USB DVD recorder drive.

My car has a cd player also.

An old Sony CD/Cassete/Radio portable player.

Finally, I've got more than 800 original CD music albums.

I still have a 5.25" SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner installed in my case. In fact, just yesterday I used it to install the '95 version of Monopoly. (I had to use the updated 64-bit installer from elsewhere, since the original installer is 16-bit and won't run on 64-bit Windows.)

I collect CDs but I mostly just rip them and copy them to my phone, so as to have a DRM-free digital copy. To that end I own a USB CD/DVD drive. I also own a CD player, but pretty much entirely for novelty, I don't use it much as the rips generate better quality for playback.

i have a portable CD laying around somewhere, as well as a disc drive. i have an old macbook pro but it isn't setup atm. pretty sure my 2022 Subaru oddly enough came with a CD player..

Im so stuck in the 90s that I buy every new album I want on CD, and when buying the sound system for my car my main concern was that the head unit had a CD drive, USB port was a "yeah, ok, I guess thats ok but I'll probably never use it". My home stereo system has a 10 disc changer and Ive still got and use a couple of portable CD players (mostly for while mowing the lawn.) And yes it kinda irks me that my newer laptops dont have the drive. Im gunna be pissed if when I get a new home PC if I cant burn cds anymore. But alas, Im a thing of the past and I too will soon be completely fazed out... the newer generations already disregarde my very existance. 😀

On 3/24/2023 at 4:44 AM, Insaneprophet said:

Im gunna be pissed if when I get a new home PC if I cant burn cds anymore.

If I were to guess, you'll probably run out of blank media well before it becomes impossible to hook a burner up to a PC.  Both USB and PCIe would need to die and it will be a really long time before either of those are replaced.  More than likely whatever replaces them will have some way to bridge old devices.

As for internal drives, we're definitely heading towards 5.25" bays being phased out.  Which is especially annoying since they're good for more than just optical drives (for example hot swap drive bays), but everyone is focused on water cooling compatibility (even if never going to be used) so guess we can't have that.

14 hours ago, Blzut3 said:

As for internal drives, we're definitely heading towards 5.25" bays being phased out. 

Don't forget that they also take up a lot of space in the case. So without them they finally have the chance to make smaller computers. I guess in this case the drawbacks are meaningless for most users while the advantages are obvious.

Faster USB ports have already replaced 5.25" drives long ago, eliminating the need for the drive bays.

I'm considering getting a new case, but when that time come, I'll have to get an external DVD drive, since it would be my first case without a single drive bay to install the to-be-useless 5.25" burner in.

My laptop has DVD and CD drive included, I don't remember when last time I used it tho. It also has slot for ethernet cable that proved really useful since it's much better use cable than search for better wi-fi connection. 

I have a small collection of CDs but mainly use a DVD/CD drive to put them on iTunes or rip them to mp3s. I also have my old iPod, but I mainly use that for listening to game soundtracks not on Spotify.

Have and will always own a stereo to play Cd’s on. I have amassed a huge library of music over the years to the point that I don't need to subscribe to Spotify etc…… 

I think having music in physical format is still the way to go. 

My PS3, when it wasnt bricked, was often used to rip music from CDs, including the asshole CDs with ten layers of anti-computer DRM to stop ripping (The PS3's firmware could get through all that easily!)

These days, its not worth hunting down physical CDs when my PC has no CD player, when car stereos chew up CDs, and the sole CD player indoors is a 'never use it because loud noise is bad for neighbours, plus your music sucks', so I just either buy it digitally on Bandcamp, from other digital stores, or in dire straights when I cant legally own the files, listen to it on youtube

I buy CDs for archival/artwork/support purposes, and listen to that very music on streaming services. I own several devices capable of playing CDA, but they basically never get used anymore.

I got rid of my CDs years ago and can't remember the last time I actually paid for music that wasn't attached to a streaming service. I have zero nostalgia for the CD format.