Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kebab_Hill12

Twitter is rebranding to X

If you want my option on this, I think muskrat (i stole that name from someone else fair and square) is doing it to be a massive troll to people that live on twitter oh i'm sorry i mean Mini X videos, I got my account back after three years of it being locked up for making a stupid comment.

I mean let's face it, what can you do? I don't work for them. Sure i mean you can whine and cry about how Elongated Muskrat is fucking everything up but i look at it like this: He is going to end up burning the site down for good and then people are going to bitch about that.

I think social media sites like Twitter X just needs to die off

X? Elon needs to get with the times! X11 has been around for decades! most people are switching to Wayland anyways

4 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

Setting aside how incredibly phoned in both the name and the logo are, completely toileting a name and brand as recognizable as Twitter seems to me to be a fantastically stupid decision. Like I never gave too many shits about Twitter from the beginning but there’s no debating how much the whole concept, and just the word “tweet”, have lodged into the popular consciousness in a way that way that will be hard to replicate. Like are people really going to say “I re-X’d this video” or “I X multiple times a day” and expect to keep any shred of dignity? The whole thing is clearly part of the man’s ever-ballooning ego trip, though I won’t be too surprised if he partially walks it back and claims that was always the intention or some other gooseshit like that 

I mean, Disney rebranded Fox as Star in almost the entire world...

Yeah, execs doesn't care if is a smart or not decision, they wanted to show that "THIS SHIT IS MINE NOW!"... Or thats what I think :P

At this point, I'm just eagerly waiting for Elon to get his comeuppance. 

I think sites like Twitter are great if utilized well - unfortunately the whole negative engagement is so prevalent in any social media form. 

I will say, Twitter dying and my total aversion to Reddit made me get back into forums once again

PayPal, in its early days, was actually the merger of two digital financial sites, one of which was co-founded by Musk and called X.com. Peter Thiel was the co-founder of the other site, Confinity, and was eventually voted to take over the CEO position of PayPal from Musk.

As a fun twitter/imgur thread put it, "this X rebrand is the tech bro version of drunk-DMing your university girlfriend on Facebook to tell her you still think she's hot."

46 minutes ago, aloysiusfreeman said:

Twitter dying and my total aversion to Reddit made me get back into forums once again

Reddit is also dying! And because the CEO was inspired by the changes Musk made to twitter!! I quit using it recently after being on it for over a decade.

First, they block anyone who doesn't have an account from using the site, forcing people to get a Twitter account. Then, they put a limit on how many tweets you can look at, and now they're doing this. It's like they're trying to sabotage their own site.

Musk has an uncanny ability to do dumb newsworthy things to cover up bad news.  So really, the only thing I have to say about X is to meme about it:

1 hour ago, BBQgiraffe said:

X? Elon needs to get with the times! X11 has been around for decades! most people are switching to Wayland anyways 

https://wayland.social/@compositor/110768798303454842

Welcome to Wayland.social: the successor to X.com.

instead of buying twitter, he should've created another social media app

Oh wait, i think i get it, he is gonna create another social media, and he doesn't want any competence, or that's what i think

32 minutes ago, Artman2004 said:

First, they block anyone who doesn't have an account from using the site, forcing people to get a Twitter account. Then, they put a limit on how many tweets you can look at, and now they're doing this. It's like they're trying to sabotage their own site.

wait are you limited on how many tweets you can see?

1 minute ago, CatWithAComputer said:

instead of buying twitter, he should've created another social media app

or just buy another boat like every other rich guy going through a midlife crisis

4 minutes ago, CatWithAComputer said:

wait are you limited on how many tweets you can see?

I believe that was temporary. Users were limited to viewing 6k Tweets in either an hour or a day, can't remember which. It was a measure meant to (according to Musk) help the site deal with issues like bots data-scraping.

4 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I believe that was temporary. Users were limited to viewing 6k Tweets in either an hour or a day, can't remember which. It was a measure meant to (according to Musk) help the site deal with issues like bots data-scraping.

Nope, I hit rate limit on two different days last week somehow (and on workdays when I wouldn't spend as much time on Twitter anyways), it's definitely still there. And in fact they're planning to limit the number of DMs unverified accounts can send/receive as well! so no, they aren't really doing anything to address the bot situation, they're just enshittening user experience instead.

I think people are vastly underestimating that the Twitter rebrand isn't just stupid in the sense of SEO (Google X and see what you get), connotations to other types of sites, or anything else, it's part of a bigger push for Elon's plan to create/control a global banking system as well as social media, and have them interconnected. People should be worried about this, because Elon is surrounded by yesmen.

The rebrand is likely to cost billions of dollars in Twitter's brand value. Which, if he hadn't fired anyone with a brain, would have been an analysis done and swiftly rejected (and it already was when he attempted to rebrand Paypal, hence why he got mutinied off the board).

They didn't even try with the logo. it's just a unicode character changed a little bit and they've made it a little bolder since yesterday. not to mention several companies have already laid trademarks and copyrights with the X logo for both regular tech and social media, so my guess is that there'll be a lawsuit in the days to come.

Twitter has continuously taken a "ready, shoot, aim" approach with every single decision that's been made since Elon took over. They didn't even attempt to bother to get permits to change their HQ sign, nor put in safety measures to make sure a pedestrian didn't get merc'd by a falling sign letter. It'd be funny if any one of these decisions weren't actively fucking up peoples' lives.

I really don't care. Let Ebaum da Muskrat kill it off.

I'm only bummed out that my Twitter account will obviously get hurt from all this buffoonery. Please do not ask about my Twitter from hereon out, thanks.

38 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Twitter has continuously taken a "ready, shoot, aim" approach with every single decision that's been made since Elon took over.

I think even starting with "ready" is giving him too much credit! He's as consistent and foresighted as a grumpy toddler.

I agree with everyone who said it’s almost like Elon is trying to sabotage the website. I think he is. I don’t think it started that way, but remember how this all began. It was an ego thing. He didn’t actually want to buy it for 44 bil, but the old Twitter ownership called his bluff. So he overpaid. I think he’s trying to tank the value on purpose for financial reasons. I’m not a billionaire tech bro guy myself but I’m betting there’s some sort of short selling / tax write off / bankruptcy / asset harvesting / betting against the stock shenanigans going on in the background and he wants the value to crater. It’s not like anyone holds him to account for breaking the law so I doubt what he’s doing is even fully legal. This is not to say he’s some genius playing 4D chess, just a greedy egomaniac trying to salvage a disaster of his own making. At this point he must have a gameplan that involves completely destroying the brand.

I never liked/used it in the first place, so therefore I have no conceivable reason to criticize this.

1 hour ago, Major Arlene said:

Nope, I hit rate limit on two different days last week somehow (and on workdays when I wouldn't spend as much time on Twitter anyways), it's definitely still there. And in fact they're planning to limit the number of DMs unverified accounts can send/receive as well! so no, they aren't really doing anything to address the bot situation, they're just enshittening user experience instead.

Odd. I've never hit the rate limit, though I intentionally limit my time on Twitter to a max of maybe ~30 min per day.

In contrast to the X re-branding, the DM limit for unverified accounts is something that doesn't really surprise me; it falls exactly in line with the general shift that's been happening for the last five years, which is that the big players are shifting away from the free to use model towards a subscription-based one. Youtube intentionally made their ads so aggressive and annoying that you're compelled to pay for Premium so you don't see them, or go at it with an ad-blocker, which Youtube is attempting to disallow. Facebook (sorry, Meta) also started it's own paid subscription model earlier this year, though I don't exactly hold out hope for it, considering most of what Meta has been known for lately is losing hundreds of billions of dollars. And it's been pretty clear to me for a while just casually observing Twitter that Musk intends to corral a good healthy chunk of his users into going for the paid subscription service. Some of it has been the same obnoxious ad placements on Twitter as I saw on Youtube, (I see ads in reply threads now, which is something I didn't use to see) some of it has been stuff like the DM system change. 

Bottom line, the age of free social media and free online entertainment is coming to an end, at least on the major platforms we've all known for the past 15+ years. They may not outright *force* you to pay, but they're going try to make damn sure you think about it if you want to continue using their sites.

12 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Odd. I've never hit the rate limit, though I intentionally limit my time on Twitter to a max of maybe ~30 min per day.

In contrast to the X re-branding, the DM limit for unverified accounts is something that doesn't really surprise me; it falls exactly in line with the general shift that's been happening for the last five years, which is that the big players are shifting away from the free to use model towards a subscription-based one. Youtube intentionally made their ads so aggressive and annoying that you're compelled to pay for Premium so you don't see them, or go at it with an ad-blocker, which Youtube is attempting to disallow. Facebook (sorry, Meta) also started it's own paid subscription model earlier this year, though I don't exactly hold out hope for it, considering most of what Meta has been known for lately is losing hundreds of billions of dollars. And it's been pretty clear to me for a while just casually observing Twitter that Musk intends to corral a good healthy chunk of his users into going for the paid subscription service. Some of it has been the same obnoxious ad placements on Twitter as I saw on Youtube, (I see ads in reply threads now, which is something I didn't use to see) some of it has been stuff like the DM system change. 

Bottom line, the age of free social media and free online entertainment is coming to an end, at least on the major platforms we've all known for the past 15+ years. They may not outright *force* you to pay, but they're going try to make damn sure you think about it if you want to continue using their sites.

Next will be Doomworld Z+, the new subscription for Doomworld.

Spoiler

heh

Just now, Herr Dethnout said:

Next will be Doomworld Z+, the new subscription for Doomworld.

Reveal hidden contents

heh

That would imply people still working on Doomworld

i find it absolutely hilarious that elon decided to rename it to x while at the same time trying to push twitter as more of a video sharing platform, like imagine goin up to your friend and telling him "yo you wanna watch some x videos with me" and then pulling up twitter 

>"X"

Well isn't that the most original, creative, and imaginative name to change a global social media platform into. 

First, "Metaverse", now this.  

We might as well be living in Family Guy's universe right now. 

4 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

If you want my option on this, I think muskrat (i stole that name from someone else fair and square) is doing it to be a massive troll to people that live on twitter

Elon really didn't intend to buy Twitter at all - he signed a contract that he thought he could back out of, but then got sued to ensure the deal went through.  Not only that, but the mere act of buying Twitter required taking out significant loans, so he didn't even buy a company that had been treating water for years, but a company that was severely in debt thanks to its new CEO's own stupidity.

Renaming the company to X might seem like complete insanity.  But when you're in the desperate situation that Elon is in, ANYTHING to draw attention to your company and stay in the news probably seems like a good idea.  Elon's not paying his bills, engagement has fallen off a cliff, the site working or not seems like coinflip odds on a given day, and social media managers are starting TikTok accounts and placing bets on if Threads will get a web-facing UI before BlueSky gets out of beta.

Twitter is Screwed with a capital S.

Edited by LexiMax

11 minutes ago, LexiMax said:

Elon really didn't intend to buy Twitter at all - he signed a contract that he thought he could back out of, but then got sued to ensure the deal went through.  Not only that, but the mere act of buying Twitter required taking out significant loans, so he didn't even buy a company that had been treating water for years, but a company that was severely in debt thanks to its new CEO's own stupidity.

Renaming the company to X might seem like complete insanity.  But when you're in the desperate situation that Elon is in, ANYTHING to draw attention to your company and stay in the news probably seems like a good idea.  Elon's not paying his bills, engagement has fallen off a cliff, the site working or not seems like coinflip odds on a given day, and social media managers are starting TikTok accounts and placing bets on if Threads will get a web-facing UI before BlueSky gets out of beta.

Damn that's a lot of words.....too bad i ain't reading that *duke nukem themes plays*

Jokes Aside: I honestly think it's funny people who live on social media all day are losing there shit over this. I personally don't care since i use twitter X for seeing what some streamers i watch are up too, sees some anime drawing (yes includes hentai art) and post from time to time. But i don't live on the website every single day of the year.

Another words yes i agree: Twitter is screwed with a capital S.

21 minutes ago, LexiMax said:

Elon really didn't intend to buy Twitter at all - he signed a contract that he thought he could back out of, but then got sued to ensure the deal went through.

Not only that, but the mere act of buying Twitter required taking out significant loans, so he didn't even buy a mediocre company that had been treating water for years, but a company that was severely in debt thanks to its new CEO's own stupidity.

Renaming the company to X might seem like complete insanity.  But when you're in the desperate situation that Elon is in, ANYTHING to draw attention to your company and stay in the news probably seems like a good idea.  He's not paying his bills, the site working or not seems like coinflip odds on a given day, and social media managers are starting TikTok accounts and placing bets on if Threads will get a web-facing UI before BlueSky gets out of beta.

Yeah Elon screwed up hard on this one, and I agree with your take here. He's a hard guy to get a handle on. Whatever intelligence he has is overridden by a lack of good business sense and a juvenile sense of humour. He's made so many utterly bone-headed decisions and is such a consummate bullshit artist that it is difficult to call him anything other than a moron in total who's managed to fail upward. And overpaying for a company which I don't think has ever really turned a profit and trying to over-correct by charging people for what was previously "free" is about as bone-headed from a business perspective as you can get.

The idea he's doing on purpose is interesting, but when one considers that he's trying to make a so-called "Everything app" (what does that even mean?) I think it makes that less probable.