Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coletomars32

what was the firsrt doom game you played

For me personally, it was the shareware version through GZDoom around 2019. I ended up mostly forgetting about it until recently, and now I'm hooked on Doom (and boomer shooters in general).

Shareware Doom in 1995. It was on a CD with a collection of free games and demos. A couple of years later, my father bought me Final Doom. At the time we didn't understand why the jump in difficulty was so high. I think that was the moment I really fell in love with Doom 

Doom on the PlayStation :) early 2000s I’m pretty sure. First experience of a horror game basically. Especially with those Aubrey Hodges touches 😂😂 still got the game in my bookcase 

Plutonia, on DosBox.

Bought the (then-complete) series as a package on steam, in 2013.

What a fucking introduction that was.

The Royal We played Doom V1.1 Registered at the age of 3.

First map played? E2M1.

Memory frighteningly vivid.

Sometimes a day at grandma's house in front of auntie's

(colorful!)

computer is enough to change a child's mind for the rest of his life.

First doom was doom64, but I was like 5 and legitimately thought it was army of darkness cause of the chainsaw. But my first real play through from start to finish was Doom1 on gba

8 hours ago, The Royal We said:

The Royal We played Doom V1.1 Registered at the age of 3.

First map played? E2M1.

Memory frighteningly vivid.

Sometimes a day at grandma's house in front of auntie's

(colorful!)

computer is enough to change a child's mind for the rest of his life.

Have you really actively played DOOM with 3 years or is it a typo and you mean 13 years :) .

My childrens ages are actual from three to fifteen years and with three years they were not really able to play a videogame like it's meant to be played, even there was a big interest.

It was/is more a random button pressing with lots of delay and a fight to handle these big controllers, keyboard or mouse with their tiny hands.

I played Super Nintendo Doom first.  So when we finally got a PC in like '95, I appreciated the graphics and movement of Ultimate Doom more than most.  

My first Doom game was Doom ('93), but I couldn't afford a pc until '98 so it wasn't at the time of release. The first Doom knockoff I played was Gloom on the Commodore Amiga.

9 hours ago, bejiitas_wrath said:

Shareware Doom on a 486 SX33, 4MiB of RAM. And a Trident 512k graphics card with a 14-inch monitor. Awesome gaming rig.

I can feel your pain :) On my 386 with 40 MHz DOOM was even in low graphics a pure pain. 486 with 66+ MHz was the real DOOM-blaster at these days. But we had those mighty Novell NI1000 and 2000 BNC network cards that gave us endless multiplayer fun never Seen before.

Good times.... And we were nearly 30 years younger.

Psx Doom around 1999.

'Cause like almost every kid in the late 90's I had a Playstation.

My dad let me play the shareware version of KDitD on his IBM when I was 9 years old. He had to launch it for me but I watched everything he did really closely so I could do it myself when he wasn't around. He showed me Doom because he wanted me to see how cool his new computer was but I was only really allowed to play Commander Keen. I had to be sneaky and play Doom behind his back. 

It was Doom v1.1 or v1.2, can't remember if it was the shareware version or the registered one. Played on our 486DX 33Mhz back in what must have been early 1994.

Shareware DOOM on a DOS 386 PC, circa 1993~94. I have fond memories that I'd like to share:

- Those pitiful 3.5" floppy disks: even at that time I hated them, they sucked since their inception.

- The 386 wasn't fast enough to render the full (320x200) resolution, I had to switch to half resolution (160 columns) and slightly shrink the viewport to get a decent framerate. Shortly later I got a 486.

- Configuring the soundcard was a PITA, not a specific problem of DOOM, but of basically every DOS game.

- The WASD keys and mouse aiming were not a thing at that time. I remember using the arrows to move forward/back and rotate left/right. Strafing was obtained by pressing the LALT key, IIRC.

- The game scared THE HELL OUT OF ME. Hearing the demons groaning at a distance helped to sustain the sense of peril all the time. It may look silly today, but then, most encounters guaranteed a nice jump scare!

- I played pirated copies of DOOM & DOOM2 for several years just because I was too lazy to register them, then I purchased the complete pack directly from ID (they had an online store at the time) to make things right.

Doom II in 1995 on the brand new family computer.  My dad asked one of his coworkers for PC game recommendations, and he lent my dad an Apogee demo disk, and the pile of Doom II disks.  I was 10 years old and mom was not impressed.  

I don't know which version of the game it was, but I recall the automap could draw enemy and player shapes, as well as projectiles, and when I'd get bored of playing the regular way I'd try to beat levels just using the automap, turn it into a top-down Contra level.

Doom 95, when I was a kid. I think I mostly played shareware and didn't really play the entirety of Doom until I heard about Skulltag in middle school.