Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[RC5] EVITERNITY II - RC5 Released!

58 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

What version are you using?

I have a whole thread about source ports, of course I'm running the latest one.

As per this reply and I just tested it in both modes: they DO NOT show in hardware mode but they DO show in software mode, simple as.

Edited by CacoKnight

It's frankly astounding this is free. Gobsmacked. Also, I played the map 33, died and hoped the conveyor will just carry my dead ass to the exit but alas that was never going to work. Reminds me of a TNT3 or Plutonia 7 map but there you are just spectating as a corpse on a conveyor.

11 hours ago, antares031 said:

What's the version of your GZDoom? It's recommended to use the latest version 4.11.3

Oh, it's 4.10.0 - i'd downloaded it recently so presumed it was the most up-to-date.

Take egg, apply to face.

So I'm about to play Eviternity 2 finally but I have a question about the secret weapon. How much damage is it supposed to do? I'm aware it's not balanced at the moment and wouldn't mind doing a custom edit on my end. Is it the equivalent of 25 bullets? (About 300 static?)

55 minutes ago, SyntherAugustus said:

How much damage is it supposed to do?

It's supposed to do in the ballpark region of 1000 damage, I forget the exact value. If you play in DSDA-Doom, it behaves as intended. We intend to get the next release candidate out some time before Xmas, so you won't have to wait long for the "official" patch.

-----

Two more OST releases done! I forgot how much my computer hates video encoding. 😅

Noticed while playing today, in map14 the sector at -2144, -1728 (sorry I don't know UDB well enough to find it's exact number) seems to have a deep water effect alongside all the other little patches like it in that small area. Not sure if intended/unavoidable or if anyone else has reported it yet so I figured it wouldn't hurt to point it out.

Regarding map07

Spoiler

I get to the red key fight and the imps teleport in. Once I've killed them all, nothing else happens. When I hit the wall where I dropped from it sounds like a lift is lowering but I can't see it anywhere so I think i'm soft locked.

Playing on RC2 and GZDoom 4.11.3 so they're all up to date as far as I know. (Also, sorry if it's just something I've missed or if it's already been mentioned.)

40 minutes ago, EndlessMoose said:

Regarding map07

Reveal hidden contents

I get to the red key fight and the imps teleport in. Once I've killed them all, nothing else happens. When I hit the wall where I dropped from it sounds like a lift is lowering but I can't see it anywhere so I think i'm soft locked.

Playing on RC2 and GZDoom 4.11.3 so they're all up to date as far as I know. (Also, sorry if it's just something I've missed or if it's already been mentioned.)

From my recollection:

Spoiler

The imps spawn in, and also a wall lowers to reveal your getaway lift. Did that not happen for you?

2 minutes ago, taviow said:

From my recollection:

Hide contents

The imps spawn in, and also a wall lowers to reveal your getaway lift. Did that not happen for you?

Spoiler

No, nothing moved, I'm afraid. I'm able to hit the switch and hear it come down, but the wall doesn't lower. Attached an image; this was about 2 minutes after all the imps were dead. Just kind of stuck there ( I did use idclip to get out to see if I maybe missed something, but no luck)

map07 red key.png

I've been streaming this the past week over on my Kick channel, and haven't had this much fun with a megawad is such a long time, with myself not experiencing a single bad map. I'm in the middle of map 36, which is such a behemoth of a map, that with it's sheer size, and the amount of linedefs used, performs immaculately on my rig, which is i9-10900K, RTX 2080tI, with 32 gb RAM.

Episodically, I do have to admit that it is unabashedly better than Eviternity 1, and Evit 1 was an amazing set of maps I've ever graced myself with, and played. The flow from one map to the next is seamless (especially with transitionary maps). You get it all, throwback maps at the start ( @Tristan I fucking loved Elysium being map 1 ), to mayan/aztec maps, to a frozen wonderland, to an Eviternity 1-esques episode, to heaven maps, to a technicolor hell show that will be told, and taught, and will be the episode hear round the world for the ages. 

This wad is the nearest to my interpretation to what perfection is.

I do have to talk about @Bauul's map 33. It felt like I was playing a 3D Sonic level. I was killed at least 30 times, but once I learned the science behind it, learned what maneuvers to perform, and to execute them with such hairline movements, the margin of error is large, but absolutely doable. You made one hell of a standout map with JUST 2 ENEMIES. 

also, CHARGE. What else can I say about that map that hasn't already been said. That map is also another standout map.

Also, Map 31: Redshift, to me, played like a quake 2 map, which adds another W to the column.

@Dragonfly Freya had so many pretty colors, that it made my ADHD brain very happy, and satiated. 

Also, the jawdropping trickery done with map 35 made me almost shed tears of happiness. The interdimensional attitude of this map is second to none. One, you're in a normal map, then once you step on a certain purple area, it become a hellish landscape. It was an absolute blast to play this.

@ukiro. Kenosis. You cheeky son of a gun. You have outdone yourself with this one. You have dwarfed Anagnorisis with the amount of enemies, imagery, and fights, al culminating into one behemoth of a map.

@antares031 TENERAIRE was like Struggle, but way more fun, and engaging. If I could describe your map with 2 words, it would be BOMBS AWAY.

in the words of @MtPain27 none of these maps get the dunce cap from me. 

Long live Eviternity 2.

This wad is not only precedential, influential for future mappers, and very impactful for the Doom community as a whole.

@Romero though he had us with Sigil 2, but we all know who we came for, and what Doom's 30th was about. Dragonfly, and Eviternity 2.

I will also be finishing this wad tonight. I have the rest of m36, and the apex of this wad, map 30.

I wonder if we're gonna get Eviternity 3 lol

Edited by Mr. Meanor : revised post

1 hour ago, EndlessMoose said:

Regarding map07

Reveal hidden contents

This is a glitch that's happening on GZD dev builds (but also has been reported on stable release when using some compat settings), it's been fixed for RC3 but until that's released, you can idclip to get out of the pit once you kill all the imps

Sorry about that!

I just got done playing through MAP24 and MAP25.

Spoiler

I love that final area with the giant battleship. Holy shit, this is one of the coolest looking Doom battleships I've ever seen. That sequence of it firing its giant cannons at the cyberdemons protecting the exit gate was really cool. The boss in MAP25 was alright, although a bit frustrating dealing with it spawning those green ghost things.

MAP26 looks really nice, although I'm not looking forward to battling swarms of high level enemies.

2 hours ago, dististik said:

Noticed while playing today, in map14 the sector at -2144, -1728 (sorry I don't know UDB well enough to find it's exact number) seems to have a deep water effect alongside all the other little patches like it in that small area. Not sure if intended/unavoidable or if anyone else has reported it yet so I figured it wouldn't hurt to point it out.

It is intentional. Action 242 can be used to mitigate floor bumpiness in addition to deep water (and other cool) effects. I used it throughout the map in places where the view bouncing caused by floor detail was too distracting and it was also not a massive hurdle to set it up.

Emergency! This is not a drill! 144 babyastralcaco's have invaded the Eviternity II credits map. Here's one eye witness account.

"So there I was, reading all of the mapper boards, when out of nowhere some pillars start lowering. Returning to the teleport hub, out of nowhere, 144 very upset and ravenously hungry astralcacodemons attack with no mercy. I had no chance ..."

Astralbabycacos are extremely cunning. They have hacked the doom code so they are not classed as enemies and therefore do not appear on the monster count. But they could be hiding, anywhere, on any map! Ready to pounce without mercy! Be warned!

It took me way too long to work out how to make the astralbabycacos appear.

Edited by tmorrow

3 hours ago, EndlessMoose said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No, nothing moved, I'm afraid. I'm able to hit the switch and hear it come down, but the wall doesn't lower. Attached an image; this was about 2 minutes after all the imps were dead. Just kind of stuck there ( I did use idclip to get out to see if I maybe missed something, but no luck)

map07 red key.png

Not involved with Eviternity 2 beyond playing it, but if you've experienced a softlock then it might be cool to hold onto that save. Might come in handy if they want to take a look later.

IDK if this has been said before but I've experienced a softlock at map 34 near the red button at the beginning area at the end of the map.

12 minutes ago, mmiov said:

IDK if this has been said before but I've experienced a softlock at map 34 near the red button at the beginning area at the end of the map.

That will be fixed in RC3. Cheers!

Anyone do the battletoads level on a single-segment run without pressing the back button yet? I've been quick-saving for every section and it seems completely doable.

11 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

I have a whole thread about source ports, of course I'm running the latest one.

As per this reply and I just tested it in both modes: they DO NOT show in hardware mode but they DO show in software mode, simple as.

Sorry, i don't know you, i just asked a question based on what you see (or don't see).

Anyway, seems like its not as simple. Because i also use hardware mode in the latest GZDoom stable version and i do see those blood stains in map 03. So it's obviously some different option.

We are talking about this, right?:

227.jpg.074d6886d01d5ef81dbbdc144b2ccf62.jpg

Edit: Turns out its the "Sprite Adjustment Clipping" setting in the hardware options. If it's set at "never", the blood trails disappear.

Edited by TasAcri

In the credits map, map36 seems to fail to load the MIDI (Both in DSDA-Doom, and in GZDoom).

Screenshot_Doom_20231218_111338.png.1c6fcc8f80888a7e2f6afcf867752e44.png

Also, I've noticed that in the episode's menu, in DSDA-Doom you have a seventh invisible option below the sixth to go to the credits map, but not in GZdoom. Why is it that?

4 minutes ago, cryotherm said:

Anyone do the battletoads level on a single-segment run without pressing the back button yet? I've been quick-saving for every section and it seems completely doable.

Look no further than the previous page. Also, while I likened it to Battletoads scrolling stages, I don't think it's intended as a direct reference or anything like that.

Numb: Packed with noteworthy moments, this one...

2 minutes ago, Budoka said:

Look no further than the previous page. Also, while I likened it to Battletoads scrolling stages, I don't think it's intended as a direct reference or anything like that.

Numb: Packed with noteworthy moments, this one...

Can't seem to find it. And the reference to Battletoads is just a metaphor about the gameplay :)

Okay, yesterday I

- replayed map 29, and properly entered map 36

- finished map 36,

- replayed map 30 after entering from map 36,

- replayed map 25, because it is related to the whole 29-36 sequence.

The finale of map 36 is such a cool spectacle!

1) First stage - the dread, as the whole place gets corrupted.

2) Second stage - the sense of relief, because those thousands of monsters in the monster counter are simply decorative zombiemen!

3) Third stage - the grim realization. A horde of endlessly resurrecting zombiemen, supported by Archviles and Necromancers, is not decorative at all! A real fight is unfolding right now! And those blurspheres are not for show either...

I am also curious right now:

- Is resemblance between CChest1 Citadel at the Edge of Infinity and Eviternity II map 36 intentional, or I am simply imagining things?

Now, I found a bug, and also some potential flaws.

- A bug: Entering map 30 from map 36 does not display intermission text.

- A notable flaw (in my opinion, of course, but still): against the arsenal from map 36 at hand, the final boss feels completely helpless. Just shoot it until it becomes thin white mist. It didn't even had the time to summon the turrets!

- A potential flaw number 1: I found that Necromancer do not command any respect from me. When a Necromancer is on the field, my first instinct is just to give it a hug and than shoot some big gun from point blank range! Necromancer's attacks feel less threatening than Baron's Claws, or Mastermind's Heavy Chaingun. This is so off for a monster, which is supposed to occupy similar weight class to the cyberdemon... Did anyone else felt in a similar way about Necromancers?

- A potential flaw number 2: Whatever their power level may be, the Necromancers are under-utilized in general. There is no proper arena fight, where the player is forced to juggle their attention between Necromancer(s) and some high threat ressurrectable targets, be it Hell Dukes, Common Mancubi, Astral Mancubi, Chaingunners, VileImps, or other demons of similar abilities. The closest thing is the map 28 finale, where the Necromancer overlooks the battlefield, while the player fights all kinds of advanced cacodemons, but even there the necromancer feels more like an oveersized baron-door than a proper threat. And necromancy magics is only threatening due to limited ammo on map 28. When I was exiting the map, I was thinking that a pair of two sneakily deployed archviles would be more scary...

- A potential flaw number 3: The final point about Necromancers, I promise! It felt very weird that the 1st Boss necromancer on map 25 was deployed without any corpses to use necromancy on... Something minor, like a trio of Former Corporals with a help of a single revenant would make that first stage much more memorable!

To end the post on a positive note:

You guys are awesome! Like really awesome! The Eviternity II megawad is huge, beautiful and innovative! Your team members managed to go above and beyond Eviternity 1. And the first Eviternity is a groundbreaking megaWAD in its own right...

Edited by Azure_Horror

@TasAcri nice find thank you! …and F Christ another setting to “check” on GZDoom, I’ve been changing stuff for months and DSDA took 10 mins to setup.

edit:

Yep, "gl_spriteclip 3" = Smarter works perfectly.

Adjust sprite clipping (Never/Smart/Always/Smarter)

gl_spriteclip

The OpenGL renderer clips off sprites when they go "within" a floor or ceiling; whereas the software renderer overdraws them, a fact which has been willfully exploited to fake certain perspective effects. The result is that many sprites are abruptly cut off when they shouldn't be. The adjustment cheats by adjusting their offset so that they are less cut off.

Never: Offsets are not adjusted at all.

Smart: Offsets are only adjusted if they meet certain criteria.

Always: Offsets are always adjusted if they make the sprite sink in the ground.

Smarter: Offsets are adjusted in a wider range of cases than with "smart", including if they sink in the ceiling. The amount by which they are adjusted is scaled according to the overall height of the sprite. Very small sprites (such as POB2A0) are visible, contrarily to "smart", even if they are offset in the ceiling (such as CDRP[ABCD]0); and tall sprites (such as TGRNA0) do not seem to hover above the floor, contrarily to "always".

Edited by CacoKnight

M26

Minor issue here when playing on dsda with software rendering. Easy to fix though, I believe the only requirement is offsetting the brightness of the sectors that have these midtextures by 1 from the surrounding sectors.

QXspblR.png

3 hours ago, tmorrow said:

Emergency! This is not a drill! 144 babyastralcaco's have invaded the Eviternity II credits map. Here's one eye witness account.

"So there I was, reading all of the mapper boards, when out of nowhere some pillars start lowering. Returning to the teleport hub, out of nowhere, 144 very upset and ravenously hungry astralcacodemons attack with no mercy. I had no chance ..."

Astralbabycacos are extremely cunning. They have hacked the doom code so they are not classed as enemies and therefore do not appear on the monster count. But they could be hiding, anywhere, on any map! Ready to pounce without mercy! Be warned!

It took me way too long to work out how to make the astralbabycacos appear.

How did you manage to do that?

iddt shows that in the Arctic Techbase section there are weapons and megasphere inside the pillars, and I've noticed that some of the map's pictures are intractable, but I didn't find any way to open the pillars

13 hours ago, unraveler said:

How did you manage to do that?

Major spoiler.

Spoiler

It turns out that 4 of the 36 map pictures can be actioned - they make a clicking sound but they have to be done in the correct order (in gzdoom anyway). The maps to action are:

1. Oblation (take the northeast teleporter in hub)
  2. Engulfed (take north teleporter in hub)
  3. Dominion (take south teleporter in hub)
  4. Numb (take soutwest teleporter in hub)

Make sure to action each picture only once and in the order specified. Doing them in wrong order or actioning a picture mutiple times seem to screw things up.

Edited by tmorrow : unraveler pointed out correct Dominion's teleporter

16 hours ago, tmorrow said:

Major spoiler.

Hide contents

It turns out that 4 of the 36 map pictures can be actioned - they make a clicking sound but they have to be done in the correct order (in gzdoom anyway). The maps to action are:

1. Oblation (take the northeast teleporter in hub)
  2. Engulfed (take north teleporter in hub)
  3. Dominion (take southeast teleporter in hub)
  4. Numb (take soutwest teleporter in hub)

Make sure to action each picture only once and in the order specified. Doing them in wrong order or actioning a picture mutiple times seem to screw things up.

Thanks, managed to beat it in DSDA-Doom.

@Dragonfly, is there any reason for this specific order?

Edited by unraveler

12 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

It's supposed to do in the ballpark region of 1000 damage, I forget the exact value. If you play in DSDA-Doom, it behaves as intended. We intend to get the next release candidate out some time before Xmas, so you won't have to wait long for the "official" patch.

As long as it can still one-shot the big gray dudes...