Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomguy896

do you use cheats in doom?

Cheats are fun to mess around with but with a serious campaign it kinda ruins the fun and the game might as well play itself, But its your singleplayer experience play it how you want

Yes. I didn't play Doom "correctly" until I was in high school. As a kid I just liked messing around with "God mode" and running through the maps.

4 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

These days I really only ever use cheats while map-testing and debugging.

IDCLIP gets a flogging.

When i am doing enemy and weapons placements i use god mode but when doing health placement i turn it off to see what needs to be tone down and such.

I have noclip bound to my ] key in all my ports that allow it, because I really don't have time for a minute long lift, or long treks across a map to pick up one armour bonus then the same distance back. I also sometimes use IDBEHOLDL to navigate previously cleared dark areas or look for ammo dumped in giant dark rooms in random spots when the sun is making my monitor hard to see. Never do I cheat 'proper' though, ie to get past challenging encounters or get keys early, only quality of life stuff.

Similarly I'll occasionally jump up a ledge in DSDA/Woof/GZDoom to save a bit of time when I know ive cleared a specific spot, and I'll be damned if the internal settings forbid it. My time is precious and im not going to run around 5 minutes around cleared out empty corridors to get back up somewhere.

If I wonder around aimlessly for 20 mins, then I move to the next map. I have occasionally revived myself when I get frustrated. But then I feel guilty xD

21 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

When i am doing enemy and weapons placements i use god mode but when doing health placement i turn it off to see what needs to be tone down and such.

Yeah same here.

Idclip is also helpful if a level gets softlocked and you can't progress because some level trigger didn't work.

As someone who plays regularly WADs taken from the "WADs releases" forum, If I'm making a lot of progress and die stupidly,"meh, I won't do all of that again", or I get into a joke WAD unknowingly where I'm not meant to be alive at some point because of some occasional 100-revenant jumpscare, then yes. Depends on how serious I'm on finish it.

To show some perspective, on the other side ...

Of course, I won't cheat in SIGIL 2. or any map/wad I take seriously.

Like Devalaous I use them for QoL reasons. When I'm sitting at the level exit I'll IDDT to get hints/answers to any secrets I missed. I'll typically navigate to them unaided, but if I notice something odd in the automap right away I'll go directly to it with an IDCLIP bind. There are also times where I just want to wander a level, to take in the atmosphere/listen to the MIDI/etc, and I'll TNTEM in those cases. 

I can't say I've ever "really" cheated though. The closest I'll get is turning on god mode in some super hard slaughter map just to blow off steam/zone out for a bit.

I only use idclip to get back to a place that is still accessible just so I don't waste time traveling through the map.

As a relative newcomer - yes, I do use cheats.. sometimes. For few reasons.

Most players here seem to be really battle-hardened who can go through any map on Ultra Violence - but I dislike a certain playstyle of some maps that are filled with monsters to the brim. There is that certain wad you guys like that is very dynamic, since the player has tun through literal hundreds of monsters and dodge their missiles (the one that looks like a creepy cathedral) - but for me it is just plain too hard, also in some ways to repetitive. I prefer levels lighter on monsters, but more with ecclectic design.

Also as strange as it sounds... on lower difficulty levels the monsters are less spongy - so (as strange as it sounds), you spend a bit less time fighting them (I know it sounds strange in a game about fighting monsters) and more time searching for keys, or admiring the views.

But when I play through WADs I like to enjoy the level design, the atmosphere. Of course I had my fair share on things like Brutal Doom (especially the town map), but my favorite WAD is probably Strange Aeons where you explore "strange" world (while monsters - mostly imps) shoot fireballs at you. I had fun playing a very out-doorish, atmospheric map that was quite scarce with monsters (Infection or something). Meanwhile I guess lots of veterans prefer things like Plutonia, or whatever was the name of those very hard maps.

Also fuck those monsters that can revive other monsters - they do so much fucking damage.

In longer wads I sometimes use the automap cheat. Or just godmode - especially on some maps that release archviless on you (seriously what is the trick to fith them, they do so much damage). I dont use the one for weapons or keys. So going through maps stress free

36 minutes ago, drop said:

especially on some maps that release archviless on you (seriously what is the trick to fith them, they do so much damage).

Once you see the fire, get out of their LoS.

IDCLEV because I pistol-start maps, IDDT after completing a map and reloading a save to see what I've missed. 

Ummm.. Aside from IDCLEV, I use IDDQD or IDCLIP when I just have to finish the level quickly, and also sometimes IDKFA on some maps to rip n' tear without collecting weapons.

14 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

Once you see the fire, get out of their LoS.

hey, are you the famous player from Bulgaria?

If I die and realize I forgot to save for a lot of the level, I'm totally resurrecting myself.

Beating levels in one go is cool and all, but I also like having... fun.

My dad loves playing w/ cheats - it's his go-to way to play. I load up a USB drive w/ tons of levels and map packs, and give it to him every month, and he plays through them w/ cheats on.

He seems to enjoy himself.

So do whatever gives you the most fun!

:)

Nice @Arrowhead, I'd say I'm fairly older too compared to most people here, which port does he like to play with? My son loves GZDoom and Chocolate.

Edited by CacoKnight

9 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Lol nice @Arrowhead, I'd say I'm fairly older too compared to most people here, which port does he like to play with? My son loves GZDoom and Chocolate.

He's in his early sixties.

He loves GZDOOM - he likes how simple the 'drag and drop' mechanic is. I know other ports also do this, but he's got his mind set on GZ now.

13 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

He's in his early sixties.

He loves GZDOOM - he likes how simple the 'drag and drop' mechanic is. I know other ports also do this, but he's got his mind set on GZ now.

Has he played any of your maps? That's really cool!

3 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Has he played any of your maps? That's really cool!

Not yet, but I'm in the process of having him branch out to Zandro, haha - so hopefully soon. 

:)