Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fireseth

SIGIL II - Episode 6

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Timeline makes it unlikely. He would have to finish it by September 30, 2024. Which would be an impressive achievement given that Sigil 1 was released four years ago.

Unless he has nothing else to work on for the next year, I don't see the Doom II project (apparently named Hellion now) being done in time for Doom II's tricenary.

I don’t think it’s particularly likely, either, but we do know there’s at least some work already done for it. He may have made some significant progress on it before he decided to make Sigil II another Doom episode instead of the Doom II wad.

I have not even played number 1 my god how can u all have so much time? 

I hope he fixes the switches Civvie 11 was talking about!! 

Just now, Faceman2000 said:

Anyone know which timezone’s midnight this is dropping? Or is it gonna be location-specific?

They made it sound like in about 3 mins from now. So very soon. 12am GMT, I guess?

Thanks! I just managed to find confirmation on the website that you are correct - people who preordered should be getting their links now. As for everyone else, it says the free download will be available in two hours.

15 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

..... it says the free download will be available in two hours.

It better bloody be!

If people are basically DDoSing the download servers for Eviternity II right now, then it is going to an absolute massacre when this one comes out... XD

16 hours ago, Gez said:

Timeline makes it unlikely. He would have to finish it by September 30, 2024. Which would be an impressive achievement given that Sigil 1 was released four years ago.

Unless he has nothing else to work on for the next year, I don't see the Doom II project (apparently named Hellion now) being done in time for Doom II's tricenary.

Definitely think the timing might be tricky but one humanity is one map for it. Who knows how many maps he had done already.

56 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

If people are basically DDoSing the download servers for Eviternity II right now, then it is going to an absolute massacre when this one comes out... XD

A true throwback to the original release of Doom. The University of Wisconsin's servers crashed when something like 10,000 people tried to download the shareware all at once.

The button's available now but it just keeps opening the same webpage in a new tab for me. What the hell man?!

Well, it is available on my end. I have just downloaded it and started playing it.

Also, E6M1 is absolutely brutal. A Cyberdemon right off the bat... really, John?

Edited by Rudolph

Has anyone been able to beat E6M1 on UV yet? I swear, this is next to impossible because of that Cyberdemon.

5 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Has anyone been able to beat E6M1 on UV yet? I swear, this is next to impossible because of that Cyberdemon.

Spoiler

I'm up to E6M5 on UV. Are you considering "beating" as "100%", because I def didn't kill the cyber in M1.

I just added Sigil 2 to Doom Launcher, I usually have to double check either the readme or the idgames for author and release date, I giggled while I was filling out those spaces as "John Romero" and "Dec 10th, 2023" respectivly

22 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Spoiler

There's a sequence of secrets - bullet boxes, then an invuln, then a switch, and finally a Berserk - that starts a crusher that kills the Cybie. Look for a way near the graves that takes you to the zombie ledge in front of the starting area.

Spoiler

I can only get as far as the final room: most of the time, this is where the welcoming committee (two Barons of Hell, two Cacodemons, several Imps) gets me, as there is little room to dodge and the path is oftentimes blocked. The one time I managed to run past it, I got hit by a rocket while I was trying to navigate the ledge. That fucking Cyberdemon really makes it hard to concentrate on looking for secrets.

I generally like John Romero's maps and I enjoyed SIGIL, but this is just... not fun.

2 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

yeah I guess Civvie's advice for SIGIL 1 still hold true for the sequel

I am not familiar with Civvie. What did they say?

56 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I have but I literally had to play on Hey! Not too rough! difficulty.

Spoiler below gives my review of Sigil 2

Spoiler

Oooh boy... another instalment that is Sigil... anyone who knows me knows I HATE the original Sigil. Now, at the very lest Sigil 2 feels much more competently made and is sometimes fun to blast through! But yowza... these maps are BRUTAL even on HNTR difficulty. Anyone doing this on UV is going to have one hell of a rough time!

For starters, some parts of the maps are a little awkward to manoeuvre around, mainly because the floor isn't always flat and the walls are sometimes jagged. What also doesn't help navigation is how dark the WAD is. Quite often I was wandering around aimlessly trying to see where the heck I was meant to go. The lack of an invuln for the final battle is kinda rude for those who are on ITYTD/HNTR difficulties. Sure remove it for UV but come on its the easy difficulty! (Actually I don't think there's ANY invulns whatso ever outside of maybe a secret or two I never found).

If at any point you find the BFG9000, USE IT! Seriously there's way too many Barons of Hell. There's a reason DooM II has the super shotgun!

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Sigil 2... =_=

9 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I have but I literally had to play on Hey! Not too rough! difficulty.

I did ask about beating it on UV. :P

Anyway, I tried on HMP myself and it already seems more manageable; I still died, but at least, there does not seem to be a Cyberdemon to worry about. And yes, the map's darkness really adds to the frustration, as it means that oftentimes, it means that you cannot even see the enemies that are shooting at you from afar. The Infrared Visor was created for a reason, yet it never seems to be available when you need it the most...

Hey, every map has a death-match arena, and the secret level has optional monsters. Neat. First impressions: better than the first, but the music doesn't move me. I wonder if the other soundtrack is better, but I prefer to spend my money on RPGs nowadays. Playing with Eternity; had some fun with elastic collisions already. Not to mention that one part on the third level where it was a pain to move through an optional narrow area.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am not familiar with Civvie. What did they say?

"I played through this twice: First on Ultra-Violence, then on Hurt-Me-Plenty. I suggest everyone watching this start with Hurt-Me-Plenty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMHq6Zh0hlM&t=118s

Civvie-11 is a relatively popular boomer-shooter-toober who got alot of shit for calling UV "The gentleman's difficulty" and making fun of the arrow in Downtown. but I always liked that particular quote from him, should be the go-to advice when someone's getting into megawads for the first time (tho especially SIGIL 1 & 2 since Romero definitely sees UV as the hardcore difficulty)