Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Realistic Objects(Showoff Thread)

Nick Perrin said:

That's probably because bad textures were used. It would look way better with some proper textures.

That's the thing. It was my first time to actually create any textures, so i'm not too satisfied with them either. I'll just need more experience on that department. It'll take a while until i get better on this. (mostly due to lack of time)

Here's a picture of the thing in 2d mode too.. had to scramble up all the dummy sectors to fit them all on the screen tho.

Also, the tank has a small ladder in the back that the player can use to climb on top of it and also go inside and look out of the thing through 2 tiny 'windows' at the front.

sargebaldy said:

That tank looks pretty shitty to me actually although it at least looks like it took some effort. The concept of making realistic objects in Doom is pretty retarded in general. Although just to spite Bloodskull here's a computer I made a couple years ago.

Misses a Doom splash screen on the monitor. Wanker! Caught playing Doom again!

Scuba Steve said:

[Pencil and cellphone]

Winner!!

The tank looks awesome too. Make it useable!

Well.. here's another picture. Not too realistic (even tho wires are slightly sloped, they won't move or break when shot or wheight placed on them. And the player can walk on the power lines.. but i guess if doomguy is a circus artist with rubber shoes then it would be possible.)

Needs quite a bit more detail and some better textures, but i guess it delivers the idea even as it is.

Frades said:

Cool looking image of a shack-type-thing

Holy crap that looks nice... probaly some new textures, detail is ok exept for the outdoor part, unless its meant to be a totally flat wasteland.

My screenshots may seem like wastelands, but they're all incomplete concept ideas. So i guess that explains it.

And now some more stuff.. supposed to be flying saucers (not realistic from the outside), but when the player gets inside one of those things then there's quite a lot of panels/levers/lights and much more like that inside each of those things.

Frades said:

My screenshots may seem like wastelands, but they're all incomplete concept ideas. So i guess that explains it.

And now some more stuff.. supposed to be flying saucers (not realistic from the outside), but when the player gets inside one of those things then there's quite a lot of panels/levers/lights and much more like that inside each of those things.

I would really like to see a screenshot of the inside...

frades, i'd really like to see some more of your work. from the two screenshots you've posted, i'm highly intrigued. also, the fact that the levels are currently wastelands is a plus if you ask me.

sitters said:
use doomsday or risen3d and make models,

you can make what you want.

True, although as you can see there are many ways to do things, from sprites and textures, sectors, sectors with 3D, to models. And each method has its ways and its rewards; some more limited but even then sometimes surprising and elegant, others easier and usually more effective.

myk said:

True, although as you can see there are many ways to do things, from sprites and textures, sectors, sectors with 3D, to models. And each method has its ways and its rewards; some more limited but even then sometimes surprising and elegant, others easier and usually more effective.

I agree.

Here's another.. The view is a bit bad, but basically the piano stands on 3 legs (as grand pianos usually do). Also plays random tunes when player hits the keys and makes some random all-keys-down noise when walked over the keys.

There are other colour themes available, but for the sake of not wasting space i'm posting only one.

FRADES--- YOU ROCK!!

Would you mind if I used that tank in my upcoming project? I would credit you heavily of course.

Project links:
<MAIN PAGE>
freewebs.com/mouac
<THE REALM PAGE>
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=31&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=shadowland

Thanks anyway, whatever your answer is! Where can I download some of those maps? I'd love to see inside the tank and flying saucers.

http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/apt.jpg
This is a map I made a long time ago. Its based on my first apartment when I lived in Chi town. It was torn down (while I was STILL living it it, it turns out the landlord never owned the apartment, the city had bought it long ago to tear down for "gentrification", my landlord was pocketing our money for 9 months.) so it never got finished.
I bought 3 disposable cameras to capture every wall and object and convert them into detailed bmp textures/sprites.
This was before I knew any kind of port specific editing tricks (3dfloors, etc.)
its an old map but it still looks pretty realistic.
(note you can see a scaled down version of a black and white art garfunkel poster on the living room wall)

Nick Perrin said:

stuff

Well.. i wouldn't mind anyone using the things i make. But the thing is that your project seems to be for EDGE as much as i understand. But all of the stuff i've posted is made in Legacy. I have no idea if it's possible to be converted to another port without too much effort. Most likely i'll never give out anything incomplete, but everything can be completed if there's a request for it. The tank still needs new textures (and by 'new' i mean total retexturing). And the saucers.. well.. there's still a bit to do on them. And they also include several scripts to make stuff look better. (for example one of the saucers has a scripted lighting wannabe beam for extra eyecandy). Anyway.. if there's a request, then i probably can map it out.. even tho i have never released anything..

Oh.. i also have a huge aircraft carrier on the way. With planes on top and engine rooms inside.