Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Looks great Dutch :),

also, Rayzik, I really liked your screenies in your previous three posts too, and I especially liked the one that resembled Plutonia's map23

Rayzik said:

Oh yes Dutch, that's looking like a pretty awesome project. Are you doing a whole episode perhaps?

Nah, just one map. Nine maps similar to this one would take me forever.

Responding to the last three pictured posts in reverse chronological order:
- Tripletron-megazour!!
- Looks pretty awsum *.*
- Way cool to go, Smartyface! (Y)

Jayextee said:

Art words

Uh-oh :P

EDIT: Seriously though, any pointers how I would achieve this? I'm using GIMP 2.8

Da Werecat said:

Via drawing, I guess. :)

I'm not entirely sure if that makes it easier or harder for me :/
In the meantime, here's take 2

Apparently, adding bevel seems to help a fair bit.

Not sure if I've ever seen a square trigger guard. Also is the fact that it's one giant jpg artifact intentional?

Nomad said:

Not sure if I've ever seen a square trigger guard. Also is the fact that it's one giant jpg artifact intentional?

It's been enlarged 5 times, hence the heavy pixelation. The original image is 96x32. There's a difference between map units and pixels isn't there? :/

This will probably take many attempts, so last version - in this thread - for now, still done with mouse. Original image on left, enlarged on right.

Eris Falling said:

There's a difference between map units and pixels isn't there? :/

Yes, there is. Map units are for positioning, flat pixels and texture pixels, whereas sprite pixels are usually tinier as they have a separate visual functionise from the map's surfacial design.

Cell said:

Yes, there is. Map units are for positioning, flat pixels and texture pixels, whereas sprite pixels are usually tinier as they have a separate visual functionise from the map's surfacial design.

So in the case of the two shotguns, it should actually be the size of the right gun, with the quality (resolution?) of the left, right?

Eris Falling said:

So in the case of the two shotguns, it should actually be the size of the right gun, with the quality (resolution?) of the left, right?

Good god no, that'll appear huge in-game and look like shit.
Seriously:

I don't know if it's what you're after, but here's what I managed to do to get the size down to a regular weapon. Unless of course you weren't after that, in which case ignore this:

A hellish level I had a dream about. Took about 5 hours to map it. Probably my quickest mapping session ever.

Guh, that confused me greatly, though I have to say I'm highly amused by that giant shotgun image.
So if I made the image 72px wide like that one you've posted there, it will be 72 wide in-game?

---

Very nice shots, Rayzik! The perfectly smooth curving of the rock looks kinda surreal.

Rayzik said:

A hellish level I had a dream about. Took about 5 hours to map it. Probably my quickest mapping session ever.

Ooh, nice. Digging both the curved architecture and the platforming - good stuff!

Eris Falling said:

So if I made the image 72px wide like that one you've posted there, it will be 72 wide in-game?

Won't affect the collision box, but as far as I can tell pixels on sprites and on textures are about the same size. In any case, can't you just compare it to some original weapon sprites in an editor of your choice?

Oh yea. But mainly the circular columns looked much much better than square or octagonal ones. Also Ribbiks, I'm trying to take some design inspiration from your recent wad Stardate20X6 :D

Eris Falling said:

Very nice shots, Rayzik! The perfectly smooth curving of the rock looks kinda surreal.

durian said:

Ooh, nice. Digging both the curved architecture and the platforming - good stuff!

Thanks guys. The rock faces aren't entirely circular, but the screenshots don't show it very well.

Antroid said:

In any case, can't you just compare it to some original weapon sprites in an editor of your choice?

*sigh* I really hate this laptop at times, but thanks, it does seem quite obvious now. I'll take a look at them next time I boot up the GL-PC, as I'm going to refer to it from now on.

Dude, Rayzik that looks awesome! Not a big fan of platforming in doom, but still looks really atmospheric.

spent an hour dicking around with self-referencing sectors to achieve an effect only visible with free-look and GL graphics.... oh well...

Cell said:

Not the platforming itself impressed me either, but rather that marble texture on the platforms. Might ask which texture pack includes 'em.

cc4-tex.wad has them and many other marble textures in it.