Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Here are screenshots from my newest map, which I started as a map for Doomworld Mega Project. It's a "space base" map that works with ZDoom/Skulltag and includes complicated system of portals (stacked sectors), as you can see in 2nd and 3rd shot. The map will be finished soon.

The tiles in the first screenshot don't really work; though maybe you could rotate them 45° so that they follow the geometry.

Gez said:

The tiles in the first screenshot don't really work; though maybe you could rotate them 45° so that they follow the geometry.

Phobus said:

Ha, and essel says that I abuse FLAT20 :P

Doomworld Mega Project unfortunately doesn't allow custom textures (and I think there's no way to rotate flat by 45°). So since I wanted to make a space base, I need to use a lot of FLAT19, FLAT20, SHAWN2, SUPPORT2 and similar bright flats/textures. There is a corridor and the screenshot shows just the curved part of that corridor, but other parts follows the geometry correctly. So maybe I will use another texture for the curved part, if I don't find any proper one, I probably won't change it at all. Thanks for advice.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I didn't notice Sector_SetRotation - thank you, I will use it

You certainly can rotate the flat by 45 degrees as you're using ZDoom. If you're in UDMF format it's a sector property - if it's Hexen format, there's action specials for it.

Okay, Sector_SetRotation worked well. It will take some time to tune constants for Sector_SetRotation, Sector_SetFloorPanning and Sector_SetFloorScale correctly, but I hope it basically looks better.

However, I'm afraid that I won't be able to get rid of those misalignments in the boundary between slopes and plains and between different rotated floors :(

That's just Euclidean Geometry. Real tilers face the same issues if they work in non-rectangular rooms.

My approach to that sort of thing would be to hide the "seam" with a border of some sort - CEIL5_1 (the black one) would be good for this, as would FLAT14/COMPBLUE if you're after some colour.

@ esselfortium:

scifista42 said:

Doomworld Mega Project unfortunately doesn't allow custom textures...

And I believe the tiles are on purpose. Textures with less obvious seams could only be some with even less detail, and that would reduce the spatial impression.

Here is an updated version of the first screenshot. I decided to make that border from SHAWN2 because pros were stronger than cons. :)
Cons: not enough distinct from distance
Pros: not enough distinct from distance

And one more - the last :) - screenshot (view from the window).

Doomguy 2000 said:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/Doomguy_2000/channels3_backgroundjpg.png

Holy shit, that was slightly funny. I can't stress the "slightly" enough, but still, that's the first "joke" that you've made that wasn't negative on the funny scale.

Congratulations.

Not sure if anyone's done this before, but using skybox cameras I effectively made teleporters that you can see where you are going before you step through. The effect is kind of strange from a distance since it IS a skybox you're looking at, but actually walking through it's almost seamless and looks pretty cool; I'm pretty proud of it myself. I might try to use heavy fog to help diminish the weird perspective you see when looking at the portals from a distance (objects in the other end rotate when you look from different angles but don't change size when moving towards or away so everything is huge when you are looking from a distance).

You can walk behind this portal and it looks a bit like this (I've changed them slightly since this shot):

The technique of portal rendering is quite usual in different games, even if there are no virtual distances between the one and the other side; they can help reducing geometry related complexity of several algorithms and increase frame rates.

One of the first 3D shooters massively using portals was Prey. The "other side" became clearly visible only in closer range, it was dimmed out in the distance.

Your technique is not incredibly new, but quite useful and alread even usual now.

Prey (3D Realms) was made in 2006, already before Portal (Valve) in 2007. See Prey - demo review: Check pictures 6 and 9 for samples of render portals (orange ring / cubic crate).

PlaneShift (an OpenSource MMORPG) uses render portals to reduce the average polygon count to render, to speed up the frame rate (and to support easier map development). The world is separated into sectors which are connected by more or less "seamless" render portals. Their content is rendered by the same camera as the avatar uses, but updated less frequently, not each tick. See a sample image.

I'm confused by what you're implying, though, LigH. Those examples of portals you are referring to aren't simply skybox cameras. I didn't code anything if that's what you're thinking; I simply put a skybox viewpoint at the location the teleporter warps to, and a skybox picker in a sky paradox. I'm sure the techniques you're talking about are different; they are probably more like the regular portals in Zdoom; you just can't put a portal on a vertical surface in Zdoom (which is a damn shame, and Graf had better get on adding that functionality to GZDoom)

@lupinx-Kassman: Yep, that's how I did it! Guess I'm not so clever after all, but I'm still proud of coming up with it on my own!

@scalliano: Actually looks like that one uses a camera displayed onto a camera texture. Not quite the same; you can't look at that texture from different angles and see more of the room; it's more like looking at a painting. Could be wrong about that, though, haven't played that map and can't fully tell from a screenshot.

I did not imply anything. I just referenced similar techniques. ZDoom may be limited to fixed camera positions and skyboxes as projection canvas. Nevertheless, it is very similar to render portals, just a bit distant. You used your limited tools to make something impressive. Well done.

LigH said:

I did not imply anything. I just referenced similar techniques. ZDoom may be limited to fixed camera positions and skyboxes as projection canvas. Nevertheless, it is very similar to render portals, just a bit distant. You used your limited tools to make something impressive. Well done.

Haha, OK. Thanks :)