Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

DTWID: Project is done, check the release thread

XenoNemisis said:

Okay, I've been busy with class starting again, however, I've done some more work and have a playable version of my map. It still needs a little balancing and such but I feel pretty good about how much progress I did on it.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/26449260/Tartarus.wad

Nice level, but some areas are too much inspired by original e3m1, while it's missing a good starting view: this is the first level set in hell, just remember the great view you have at the beginning of warrens when you raise the organic lift and find yourself in the field.

And perhaps too much alligned textures...

Good gameplay, even if i run out of ammo few times...

sorry to be pedant, but anyone played this?

from my molder post:
city of corpses, now whit monsters!
http://www.mediafire.com/?l8oirv9o08y7ii5
and, for your pleasure, we've got also first try of "Petersen Station":
http://www.mediafire.com/?d974j8je778c24e
(graphic patch included in the zip file)
i think to release this last one separately if doesn't fit the project aims

well, i just want to know some feedback about these works...

EDIT: i played lorenzo's e1m8 and is way too similar to original level IMHO. also played the mr. Chris e1m3 and i really like it!

Walter,

your e3m1 is very nice but perhaps too much big IMO for being a first episode level. The starting labyrinth has a lot of dead-ends, which is not bad in itself, but should have some artifact just to rewarn the player for the exploration. I found one caco blocked inside her cell somewhere near the beginning.

The other level is a deep tribute to petersen style? Very well done, but in many ways far away from the idea of this project.

And yes, my e1m8 is very similar to the original... I wanted to play with the idea of a star with more than 5 tips. I also think that e1m8 is a special level so you have to do something completly new or a good tribute to the original.

Thank you for the feedback, and anyway:

- hell map is supposed to be placed for later half of the episode, is in e3m1 just for convenience...

- not really, over the title, is much more influenced on alpha doom concept, with a petersen taste in the map... i think i'll upload it separately, since doesn't fit the project ideas (maybe too homages?)

walter confalonieri said:

Thank you for the feedback, and anyway:

- hell map is supposed to be placed for later half of the episode, is in e3m1 just for convenience...

- not really, over the title, is much more influenced on alpha doom concept, with a petersen taste in the map... i think i'll upload it separately, since doesn't fit the project ideas (maybe too homages?)

I liked the alpha doom textures. Did you create the texture wad?
May I use it if inspired?

Lorenzo said:

I liked the alpha doom textures. Did you create the texture wad?
May I use it if inspired?

No, no... is made by Emil Brundage (posted on Realm667, originally) and edit by NaturalTwenty... by the way is free use... so use it. But make credit to NT before do anything...

Bit later than I'd originally planned, but I'm now starting work on an E3 map. I've tentatively put it in slot E3M4 for now, so I get the sky I'm after and it's about mid-episode. Depending on how it goes, I may add a secret exit and go for the E3M6 slot, as I'm not aware of anybody else who's done that yet.

I'll get back with screenshots when there's something to show.

Processingcontrol said:

Here's my map, runs on E3M9

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpp9ymsbsaw0a6h/Doom%20e3.wad

It's a lot harder than anything form Udoom, even E4M2. Might be to hard.

I'm wondering if I should change the ending, it might not be epic enough.

It is not e3m9, it is in slot e3m8. Very big IMO and too much pwad-ish, but I just run through it very quickly.

Lorenzo

Well guys, I'm back.

Also, here's the original E1 map you guys might have seen in the recent screenies if anybody wants to play around with it or use it in another project (you don't have to give me credit, but be sure to notify me so I can see what you can come up with), maybe even this one.

There's no secret areas or monsters iirc, about 90% of the lifts and doors are not functional, there's almost no decoration and there's a lot of untextured areas.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bnus1par1ariqij

I'm not looking for criticism since I'm not working on this version any more, just putting it up for curiosity's sake. It takes the slot of e1m3.

I didn't think it was really that curvy. A few of the maps in e1 use a lot of weird, abstract angles, while some of the others are boxier.

Nice going essel. I'll probably have to reserve final judgment until the monsters and other things are finally placed, obviously, because they are an integral part of what makes an id map an id map, but as far as the layout and flow are concerned there's a lot to chow down on here.

Things I liked:

• There's an intelligent application of the layout here that's easily overlooked, and it pertains to what you were (I think) discussing earlier about how walls are used to block off line of sight for limitation purposes. This evokes something that most of the e1 maps submitted thus far have been missing! I think everyone would do well to take a leaf out of your book here.
  • The fewer unremarkable doors the better, in most cases. Nicely done here! Doors function more toward area segregation and combat control than toward being aesthetic dividers I feel, and if you think you can pull off creating that sense of location and awareness within the scope of a larger map without the excessive use of doors then you're on the right track. I think maybe the map could use a couple here and there in light of the criticisms below, but I like what I see regardless. 'Course, I'm also probably reading far too much into it. Typical.
  • Some of the walk-over linedefs and traps are used pretty inventively, as well as the first secret. And when I say traps I mean the way in which they activate, of course, seeing as there are no monsters. It's all a little more kinetic than most of id's levels, which in these circumstances I can only imagine being a good thing (lots of height variation, raising/lowering floors etc.).
  • Everything post "yellow key door" is amazing. I loved the contrast and to me it seemed as though everything was exempt from the criticisms I made below. The detail was spot on, the texture selection was simple yet effective; along with the blue key area and starting rooms it sticks in my mind as being the most recognisable area of the map.
  • The scale and length of the level is very accurate, and it looks okay in the automap. I can't help but feel that if the first suggestion is taken into account it might give out an even better impression of space still.
Suggestions:
  • It's ever so slightly convoluted I think, despite using the layout to block vision and contain areas. A lot of this has to do with the rapid texture shifts between areas that might not necessarily call for makeover in design. It can make navigation a little tricky at times, and as pointed out, make everything seem a little cramped even though it isn't. Perhaps being more adamant about keeping the transitions either side of tight angles rather than down the center of great stretches of wall might help here. This could be a moot point though, I'd have to take another look. Tell me what you think.
  • The secret areas are a little too easy to find. Granted, many of id's secrets weren't exactly needles in haystacks, but if you made them more numerous and perhaps made their activation/revealing linedefs a little further from home it might fix this issue a bit.
  • There are too few central areas. At most one might be expected to double back through a previously visited area twice, but no more. As this is a rather finished looking product however, I might suggest opening up or enlarging the few areas that do see a lot of passing by (the yellow key door / the exit overpass etc.). Romero in particular I think made his intentions clear with maps like e1m3, m5, m6 and to a lesser extent m7. Something to consider!
I can't wait to see what you do with the monster and item placement. This looks promising on so many different levels!

Hey essel, nice level. I really like the layout and the altering of areas by raising/falling floors in a few places. A few things...

The theme was too scattered in a lot of places, especially at the start. In some areas I could seem several dominate themes all at once. Made for a bit of an epileptic experience.

The lowering-lift secret's just about impossible to miss if the player is doing a little backtracking.

The exit door doesn't open from the inside.

I look forward to shooting things in the level.

NT

Hmm. "Epileptic"? Where did it feel the most inappropriately varied to you? I tried to keep it relatively simple for the most part, but even in the actual E1 maps, there are places where textures shift without a sharp corner or sometimes even without a 'room' change.

If you can point out what felt wrong, I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure how much I can really change without needing to alter other areas, also. if I remove a texture from one scene (like the STONE or METAL1, both of which are only in two or three areas in total), it could end up feeling more out of place in another part where it's used again, I'd think.

I've started a new map, alienation Zone, style e1m5/e1m6.
No screenshots yet.

Lorenzo

Essel: Love that layout, the only thing I can lift an eyebrow at is the use of COMPSPAN as a separator, often on lines shorter than 32 units. Can't wait to see the monsters in it :)

Really nice essel, I'm really liking how the level plays out. One or two areas have a few too many textures (like the one spiral staircase with the stone textured pillar), but other than that, it's really interesting.

Processingcontrol, you have some nice things happening, but the space needs to be filled in more, and there's a ton of enemies. Id seemed to make levels that focused on having smaller, yet harder, fights. Keep the layout for the most part, it's unique enough to stand on its own and has potential.

By the way, Lorenzo, I forgot to say that my map is going to be more mid episode 3, I just put it in the E3M1 spot for easy play testing. I can see one area that looks like E3M1, but are there a lot of areas that look too similar?

XenoNemisis said:

Really nice essel, I'm really liking how the level plays out. One or two areas have a few too many textures (like the one spiral staircase with the stone textured pillar), but other than that, it's really interesting.

If you mean the stairway in the start area, it's only there to match with the adjacent stone wall and stone floor.

I think the official id maps were at least as varied in places, if not more.

XenoNemisis said:

By the way, Lorenzo, I forgot to say that my map is going to be more mid episode 3, I just put it in the E3M1 spot for easy play testing. I can see one area that looks like E3M1, but are there a lot of areas that look too similar?

Just a few... but should check better.

Lorenzo

Cell said:

Classic levels look good so far. I took a peek at them and they were fun, but sometimes a bit too Petersen-y.

I'm honestly curious, what is "too Petersen-y" in the context of "Doom the way id did it?" Do you mean people are trying too hard to be Petersen and as a consequence going too far and doing things that Petersen himself would not have done?