Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Also, if you do the same thing (E.g load new game, fire one shot, allow yourself to be shot) the rng will subtract the same amount of health every time.

14 minutes ago, invictius said:

Also, if you do the same thing (E.g load new game, fire one shot, allow yourself to be shot) the rng will subtract the same amount of health every time.

Congratulations, you just discovered how demos work.

Doom E2M2:

I must have walked by this little crate staircase a near-infinite amount of times and I've never noticed it (it's just before the secret area with the two Boxes of Shotgun Shells). There's also a Clip up there that's flagged to appear only on Easy/Medium.

Screenshot_Doom_20230409_031222.png

From the recent decino Nightmare playthrough of The Spirit World:

JPsxDam.png

This bloodfall is actually a lift that takes you back to the large cave area without having to loop all the way around the map.

An interesting finding in TNT Evilution's textures, STONEW1 comes from the ImageCELs series of Multimedia Image CD-ROMs, basically it's a Doom palette converted version of STONE7. Before TNT, It was also used in the 1994 PWAD Mayan Temple, if that's correct.

STONEW1_Source.png

Perhaps there might be other sources for Final Doom's textures other than the ImageCELs series Multimedia Image CD-ROMs, but so far none has been found.

I didn't even know that was a Final Doom texture, thought that was from Doom 2 originally. I guess looking at it now it doesn't look like something Adrian Carmack would have used so it makes sense

Doom E1M6:

The Yellow Key isn't required for beating this level. The walkover line to open up the secret tunnel in the slime to the left of the Blue Door (that leads to that secret outdoor area with the Soulsphere) is on the stairs in front of the Yellow Key, so you can open it up without picking up the Yellow Key. The door at the end of the tunnel that leads outside doesn't require a key to open either. Of course, the drawback (and I double-checked) is that you won't be able to backtrack if you don't pick up the Yellow Key and bypass the Yellow Doors, both sides of all three Yellow Doors need the Yellow Key to open.

A couple of things, that I gathered during mapping. Mostly Dehacked stuff.

-1 legged dude can be fixed by putting 84 units height(if I remember correctly) in Dehacked. I guess it can also be done by fixing sprite offsets.

-Lost soul is immune(or partially immune in Gzdoom) to Beta Lost Soul's attack

-Beta BFG really looks like christmas

-Beta Lost Soul can attack through walls and is unaffected by partial invisibility

-MBF(complevel 11) fixed the sky invul. bug

-In Dehacked there is 86 CHGUN in the sound index. It is possible to use it, by putting DSCHGUN in a wad. Works in PrBoom+, doesn't work in Gzdoom, don't know about vanilla.

And yes I know it is due to different chaingun sound planned in the previous versions of Doom.

-MBF doesn't have line skipping bug

-Pausing the game stops animated sky in PrBoom+, but not in Gzdoom

-Removing translucency in Dehacked doesn't remove it in Gzdoom

On 4/3/2023 at 6:31 PM, Kwisior said:

I only recently found out that you can mark spots on the automap in vanilla Doom.

But they don't get saved

Doom E4M5:

I found out that you can run through this window from the Red Key room side, I had always assumed you were blocked off from running through it on both sides.

Screenshot_Doom_20230507_043437.png

Doom E4M6:

I just found out there's a second way to get into that room with the switch that lowers the pillar with the Yellow Key (there's two switches you need to hit to get the Yellow Key, one of them is the Blue Key switch that removes the bars in front of the key, the other switch lowers the pillar). On the steps leading up to the Yellow Key, the middle part of the top step is also a walkover line that will open up the door to the room on the left that contains that switch and the Rocket Launcher/Baron of Hell (the door cannot be manually opened up from the Yellow Key area side).

For as long as I've played episode 4, I've always gotten to the Yellow Key using that hidden door (off the lava moat next to the Radiation Suit) that leads to the secret tunnel and then getting into the room with the switch from that end, I've always done that since that's what I learned from watching Led Meister's (ClassicDoom.com) demo of how to get all three keys from that map.

image.png.584202255bdd8ea17d9fb23476c99fa0.png

A rather simple one: I just learned the megasphere was added in Doom 2. I guess I just assumed it was always there, like the other power ups.

I'm convinced that Doom 2's track 'In the dark' got inspired from Man in the box by Alice in Chains, especially the Bass and percussion sounds familiar. Bobby prince is well-known for changing tempos and composing his own arrangements from existing popular songs for the Doom games. Also considering there was a 'Man in the box' Midi in the unused tracks.

On 9/23/2011 at 10:32 AM, Nasesrtyhcfhk said:

The Berserk pack lasts the whole level.

Quality of life significantly improved.

it actually lasts 122,713,351 seconds 

6 hours ago, Vaeros said:

I'm convinced that Doom 2's track 'In the dark' got inspired from Man in the box by Alice in Chains, especially the Bass and percussion sounds familiar. Bobby prince is well-known for changing tempos and composing his own arrangements from existing popular songs for the Doom games. Also considering there was a 'Man in the box' Midi in the unused tracks.

I didn't actually make the connection but you could be spot on. If it is based on Man in the Box though then it's a new .MID and not an edited version of the unused cover because I'm pretty sure the entire .MID structure is different.

4 hours ago, Individualised said:

I didn't actually make the connection but you could be spot on. If it is based on Man in the Box though then it's a new .MID and not an edited version of the unused cover because I'm pretty sure the entire .MID structure is different.

I mean it doesn't have to sound exactly the same as the original source but i'm saying some of the instruments and basically the rythm sounds kinda familiar to my ears. It's not the first time Bobby prince does this, I think he did the same thing using some bits of 'We die young' percussion for 'Hiding the secrets' with different tempo and composing a totally different track. 

2 hours ago, Vaeros said:

I mean it doesn't have to sound exactly the same as the original source but i'm saying some of the instruments and basically the rythm sounds kinda familiar to my ears. It's not the first time Bobby prince does this, I think he did the same thing using some bits of 'We die young' percussion for 'Hiding the secrets' with different tempo and composing a totally different track. 

Hiding the Secrets has the same track structure as the We Die Young cover, it's easy to see that Hiding the Secrets is based on the We Die Young midi.

9 hours ago, Individualised said:

Hiding the Secrets has the same track structure as the We Die Young cover, it's easy to see that Hiding the Secrets is based on the We Die Young midi.

Anyway, I made a short video being more specific on what I'm talking about.

While on the subject of E4M6, I also found out that you can run through these bars to the right of the Yellow Key and into the lava pit below (the rest of the bars on the windows surrounding the Yellow Key are impassible):

Screenshot_Doom_20230511_002754.png.b1a8f342aa21a896624dca4358abcb65.png

There's a Radiation Suit in the corner to your right if you run out this window, and a hidden door in between two skull rocks to get back inside on the other end. I knew how to get to this lava pit from the secret tunnel (I'd open up the door leading out to the lava to kill the Cacodemons at ground level and not need to wait for them to float up to the windows), but I never knew you could run out one of the windows to get down there as well.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:26 PM, CatWithAComputer said:

it actually lasts 122,713,351 seconds 

How long is that in days??

And while on the subject of E4M6... E4M6 kicks ass.

On 10/10/2011 at 11:40 PM, Encryptic said:

I realized that Doom would be fucking awesome if it was more like Bulletstorm for XBox. I want to be able to do powerslides into hordes of imps and knock them off their feet and gun them down while they're tumbling through the air in slow motion.

You should try out Postal: Brain Damaged if you want a game that plays like a retro FPS but also has sliding and slow-mo.

It's not exactly what you described, but it's similar enough that I think a game recommendation is in order.

12 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

How long is that in days??

122713351 seconds = 2045223 minutes = 34087 hours = 1420 days = 203 weeks = 47 months = 4 years. (rounding up)

On 5/11/2023 at 4:06 AM, Vaeros said:

Anyway, I made a short video being more specific on what I'm talking about.

Yeah you're probably right. Surprised no one has noticed this before. Might be worth adding to Doomwiki as there's clear links between it and un20.mid.

Edited by Individualised

A tiny thing, but in heretic/hexen, the first pixel in a span seems to be duplicated most of the time. This is because the span drawer computes the current pixel position in the flat from the UV coordinates, then goes into the unrolled texture mapping loop. This loop draws the pixel using that position, then recomputes that pixel position from the UV, and only then increments the UV coordinates.

image.png.22f1071764fbce1e7a313e7fe7b7c3dc.png

Interestingly Chocolate Heretic doesn't replicate this bug ATM, it's super minor but maybe worth a bug report?

image.png.954d52b5e68323fb55fc349bd0aa2425.png

I found out that vanilla pickup items are not bound by their internal slot, but rather by their sprites. Which means you can give every pickup item a different sprite as long as it uses a valid name.

Example: The ammo clip uses CLIPA0 as its name, if we now import a custom sprite and enter CLIPB0 as its name, and give it a slot and set the "Can be picked up" flag inside dehacked, you now have two ammo clips. One uses the vanilla sprite and the other uses your custom sprite, both will give you 10 bullets and behave the same. You can apply this trick onto any thing. Yes, you can now pick up Imps if you're into that. Or Barons. Or Mancubi or Spider Mommas, I don't judge.

I am now getting myself ready to be bombarded by comments saying how foolish I am for not knowing this trick already exists and was used in Magnolia. You can all pull your smarty pants back up you nerds.