Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

RAGE is apparently a very solid game!

Sig-ma said:

The pop-in issue happens on pretty much all hardware. Carmack said himself it is a serious limitation of the mega-texture tech and you could "break it" by making drastic movements.

HEY GUISE I HAS A NEW TECHNOLOGY THAT ARE SO ADVANCED, IT'S DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY ON ANY THING!!!!!1 PRAISE ME.

Seriously though, what's the story on advanced tweaking? Surely the game has .CFG files to edit.

Edward850 said:

The lack of video options is actually engine design, as it auto scales to maintain 60FPS. However, that doesn't work so well when ATI screw up their drivers and the engine seems to think you have a 3MHz CPU and 0MB of video memory.

This would explain why it was playable for me (barely) in 1920x1080. Silly newfangled tech.

Joystiq has a review up where they say...

And that's the thing. The aspects of RAGE that seem interesting and different at first never grow or expand. The enemy reactions, the clutching, the begging for their lives, it's repeated identically so often over the course of the game that it loses any impact or meaning. The town that initially holds the promise of a big, wide, asteroid-murdered world is a facade for a few fetch quests down some of the most guided, narrow shooter levels this side of a Call of Duty title. RAGE is pretty at times, but it's not enough to paint over the truth - that Id's labor feels like a scaffolding for a game of bolder ideas, ideas which, for whatever reason, aren't realized

There's also a guy on HardOCP's forums that seems pretty pissed and claims it "aint got shit on Duke Nukem Forever." That thread, or at least his post, seems to be more amusing than informative, though.

I'm tight on cash at the moment as it is, so I don't know when I'll get to play it. If there's a demo for PC or PS3, maybe I'll try that. Either way, I'm skeptical of what my experience will be.

ATI just uploaded a fixed RAGE performance driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx
People are already reporting that it fixes a lot of issues. (Apparently the old version had the wrong OpenGL version or something.)
As for Nvidia users, apparently the 285.38 Beta drivers work better then the current 280 drivers.

Xeros612 said:

What? Really? That's all it lasts? What the hell, Doom 3 lasted around that much time (if you don't skip all the pdas or try to speedrun it), and that was a linear game! On the cut-down xbox port, for that matter! For a game that's touted as relatively nonlinear OR open to only last that long is pretty disappointing. I mean, sure, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky last about that long if you play it linearly and only take the main quests but still.

Good! Finally, a developer that sees the folly of the ways of developing for consoles primarily! Shame it wasn't til after this game came out that he realized it, though.

Some computers struggled running iD Tech IV when Doom 3 came out, did they not? If anything I'd say one of iD's greatest strengths is making powerful, long-lasting engines. (I mean, Doom 3's lighting system alone kicks the ass of many, many more modern games', even with stencil shadows.)

I actually think the D3 engine has aged really badly. Everything looks like plastic, which it should not. lol

I'm enjoying RAGE so far, (1+ hr in), but holy shit is it ugly on my ATI card right now. It's essentially the ugliest game I've ever played. Hope they get some more patches in here soon. The new driver released mid-day today (day 1) was pretty good, fixed the flickering. That's about it. Texture pop-in is still rampant.

I also encountered a strange bug. I went exploring a bit and found a "garage" zone so I tried to enter it, but crashed. Crashed every time. So I left, and it turned out to be what I'd call "level two", and when my quests led me there, I didn't crash anymore.

Epyo said:

I'm enjoying RAGE so far, (1+ hr in), but holy shit is it ugly on my ATI card right now. It's essentially the ugliest game I've ever played. Hope they get some more patches in here soon. The new driver released mid-day today (day 1) was pretty good, fixed the flickering. That's about it. Texture pop-in is still rampant.

I also encountered a strange bug. I went exploring a bit and found a "garage" zone so I tried to enter it, but crashed. Crashed every time. So I left, and it turned out to be what I'd call "level two", and when my quests led me there, I didn't crash anymore.

I'm enjoying it too. Even with the hotfix drivers I'm still getting texture pop ins and screen tearing but it still runs smoothly. I'm really liking how enemies react to getting shot too. There's something sadistically amusing about shooting a bandit in the leg and then watching him hop on the other foot for a few seconds before falling over and trying to crawl to cover. It's a refreshing change from most games where all they do when shot is flinch or fall over.

Can't say much for the driving mechanics so far since I've only spent like 5 minutes driving an ATV but sending my character flying over the handle bars by ramming into a barrier was somewhat amusing.

Technician said:

Can you gib enemies with explosives? That was one thing I missed in Doom 3.

Yeah but I tend to avoid it because you can't loot their bodies afterwards... for obvious reasons

Loot the bodies? Why didn't they make the enemies just drop the damn stuff? >_>

Xaser said:

Loot the bodies? Why didn't they make the enemies just drop the damn stuff? >_>

Realism, G. All the kids are inta it.

Looting makes more sense than a person dropping a wad of ca$h or something, that sounds good to me.

Technician said:

Realism, G. All the kids are inta it.

Realism? You mean like aiming at the corpse and pressing X?

I didn't get to the point where I was gibbing enemies but I felt personally offended when they were shooting up the bottles on the tables they were hiding behind. That's my money you're blowing up, fuckers!

All this proves to me is my chart is god-tier as it worked for every fucking retarded fanboy on forums this morning. Also, the driver issues = all bethesda's fault, obviously. derp derp.

not intended to be a factual statement

Fuck ID Software, bunch of sellouts, this game was designed for PC huh? What do you think we are, idiots? I can tell when I'm playing a shitty console port on PC. How the fuck did they not even notice this issue on PC? Limited graphical options? Oh yeah, its a console port alright. Was thinking about buying this game but ID Software can go fuck themselves.

Dear "Hardcore PC Gaemrs":

Kill yourselves.

Seriously.

I have a simpler chart for you:

Will this id game suck?

Was the game
        developed in
        the previous
        millennium ?
       /            \
      /              \
    Yes              No
     |                |
     |                |
     |                |
     V                V
 It rocks         It sucks

Csonicgo said:

Dear "Hardcore PC Gaemrs":

Kill yourselves.

Seriously.

STFU, we are entitled to a game that like...works and shit

To cancel my pre-order or not to cancel my pre-order...

I just hope there's a proper fix for all this nonsense over the next like 48 hours, else I've wasted my money. I also hope they don't do what Treyarch did with Black Ops and leave a broken game unfixed forever because they don't give a shit.

DoomUK said:

To cancel my pre-order or not to cancel my pre-order...

I just hope there's a proper fix for all this nonsense over the next like 48 hours, else I've wasted my money. I also hope they don't do what Treyarch did with Black Ops and leave a broken game unfixed forever because they don't give a shit.

Why would they NOT fix it?

Most problems seem to be on the video card end (ok, all of them). However, making "workarounds" for sloppy video card drivers is bad, bad, bad. Quake 3's code was chock full of it. NO MORE.

And for gamers that seem to think it's id's fault, it's like blaming a car for bad performance when it's running on shitty gasoline.

Mr. T said:

STFU, we are entitled to a game that like...works and shit

Tell that to nvidia and ATI which, while being in the graphics card business, can't seem to figure out how their own products work, or if everything does work.

DooM_RO said:

Not releasing a demo was a HUGE mistake.

Doom 3 demo didn't come out for months after the retail version. I assume they're just following this trend yet again.

DeathevokatioN said:

RAGE is apparently not a very solid game!

I'll still buy it at some point, though. :P

My batch files still on floppy disks to swap video card drivers to play Nightmare Child and Hellbender are playing the smallest violin.

I suppose people already have forgotten how bad it used to be. DirectX-less drivers for one game, DirectX supporting drivers for another game, every time I wanted to play.

This is just a taste of what it used to be.

I'm not excited to play this at all now. It seems like it's trying to cater to too many different people.

Csonicgo said:

I suppose people already have forgotten how bad it used to be. DirectX-less drivers for one game, DirectX supporting drivers for another game, every time I wanted to play.

This is just a taste of what it used to be.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout?

Khorus said:

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout?

For ATI Mach64 users, DirectX was a bit... of a problem.

Ok, it was a MAJOR problem. DirectDraw was crippled severely, and text wouldn't show up in some games. Lemmings wouldn't even draw the menu or interface properly. And to top it off, WinG-using games would lock the system. The fix? emulation mode. so either you had a game that didn't work, or a game that ran 10 fps with flickering text because the shoehorned "support" wasn't actually support. And to make matters worse, if you had an "offbrand" card with an ATI chipset, you had to wait for the manufacturer to release a driver! Most never did.

Csonicgo said:

it's not id's fault it used to be worse in the old days stop complaining about stuff you payed for not working no demo prior to release is just a tradition

You getting payed for this?

Ok, it's not id's fault that the drivers aren't ready (assuming that's what's to blame). But they still released a game which isn't working properly for a lot of people. Personally I would rather have another delayed release date than a busted game. Stop pontificating their innocence in all of this.

DoomUK said:

You getting payed for this?

Ok, it's not id's fault that the drivers aren't ready (assuming that's what's to blame). But they still released a game which isn't working properly for a lot of people. Personally I would rather have another delayed release date than a busted game. Stop pontificating their innocence in all of this.

Because once you do calls to OpenGL, the driver is to sort it out?

The game in other forms (gameplay, etc) isn't really "busted". AMD and Nvidia have been working nonstop since the "rage" has been pouring in.

http://twitter.com/#!/AMDRadeon/status/121302656596705281
http://twitter.com/#!/Thollenshead/status/121381420903047168

And yes, I think a very few, yet vocal PC gamers have become spoiled, somehow-entitled brats. Making games for a platform that has x^y configurations is probably the most unrewarding thing ever to do anymore, especially if this ridiculous backlash is the reward for it.

That, and some have actually claimed to have e-mailed Carmack death threats. some people are truly disgusting.

If it's any comic relief, CIF3, a zdoom mod, broke ZDoom so badly that a new version had to be released to play it. Is that related to a video card driver? Maybe. Ok, not really. it's still funny, though.