Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

50 Shades of Graytall (now on idgames!)

Why do you discard this one, i've only played a few of your maps but this is probably one of the coolest i've seen so far.
Interesting structures and shapes, maybe a bit overcrowded for my taste but otherwise pretty solid.
Finish it.

I agree, I really liked this map, even though I usually despise revenant hordes and slaughter gameplay, this BFG-spam was pretty satisfying and enjoyable for me. Two-path nonlinearity worked well. The map also (given the texture restrictions) looked great!

tourniquet said:

Finish it.

Seconded. :)

I could finish it if I want to, But I've Got IRL Stuff to worry about and winter break of procrastination to look forward to, but thanks for the kind words!

Breezeep said:

I could finish it if I want to, But I've Got IRL Stuff to worry about and winter break of procrastination to look forward to, but thanks for the kind words!

Thats a great looking map, really fun opening battle too. I'd say unless there is a looming deadline for this project you should maybe come back to it later and finish it off when you have the time.

How many maps does this project have so far?
This is supposed to be an episode but I think this going to be a megawad given the amount of maps.

joe-ilya said:

How many maps does this project have so far?
This is supposed to be an episode but I think this going to be a megawad given the amount of maps.

From what I've heard Marcaek is going to draw the line at about 20 maps: an entire GRAYTALL megawad might wear on people's nerves, at a guess.

If mappers would use the other textures as the main texture instead of just GRAYTALL, it would be a little more exciting, that's what I tried to do in my "Hellilooya" map.

What if half the maps used GREYTALL and the other half another texture with FIREBLU ? Like...Dark and light sides to the wad.

FuzzballFox said:

What if half the maps used GREYTALL and the other half another texture with FIREBLU ? Like...Dark and light sides to the wad.

GREYTALL as E1 and FIREBLU as E2, DOORTRAK for MAP31 and a map mostly consisting of flying in the sky for MAP32.

Better mix it together, to keep it fresh for someone continually progressing through the final wad. Of course, every map has its unique ratio of the textures and colour theme, so it won't even appear as anything special, whatever the map order will end up to be like (most probably sorted by difficulty more than anything else).

I haven't fogotten this, just taking a short break from things. I did check out Breezeep's map and it's certainly cool enough that I'd like to see it finished\expanded. I also recieved a WIP from someone else who makes murderous slaughtermaps which is really cool, looking forward to the finished version.

@Mechadon: I don't think it's too big, well it seems big and elaborate, but totally acceptably so, and I'm not even against big maps personally. It certainly looks really impressive, too. :)

Looks fine to me Mek. We don't have anything truly large yet IMO regardless so a single mammoth map would be ok.

WEEOOO WEEOOO PROGRESS REPORT how are everyone's maps coming along

I'll update the OP shortly. Funny, I thought I had but I guess the changes might've been accidentally reverted somehow?

EDIT: OK OP updated. I won't have much left to do for my own maps so there's that.

Shadesmaster: To be honest although this is a functional map, it's kinda plain. Architecture is really basic and not in a way which takes advantage of the textures IMO. Gameplay is just passable, and there's that weird exit switch situation. I'd suggest doing something a little more extravagant with it, or a new map of course.

I've been playing a LOT of Doom stuff recently (tons than usual anyway) including Plutonia for the first time, on UV even, despite owning it since forever. Have also played through a few other contributions for this project and I'm beginning to feel that my own map is a little underwhelming; not so much difficulty-wise but general gameplay and flow...

Once I've completed another project, aiming for early Jan, I'm tempted to take another look at my level and see what can be further improved or expanded on. No promises though, but I do have some ideas floating about which needs experimentation. We'll see.

Going to play through more entries sometime after xmas and post my thoughts on each one later!

Progress report:

- Level layout is basically done
- Needs more detail
- Monster/item placement

If I just could bother few days with my map, it would be done.

Here's a map: download.

Map name: Everlasting Fireblu
Music: Everlasting Fire from RuneScape.
Sky: Same sky as in the OP.

Added difficulties as well. Hope no bugs made it into the final version.

4shockblast said:

Here's a map: download.

Map name: Everlasting Fireblu

Nice map, perfect difficulty for me. I like how you let the player run away from the red key fight and have a little think about how to deal with it. I ended up using the bfg on that archvile and just legging it from the cybers into the exit. Finding the secret soulsphere and plasma rifle certainly saved my bacon in the blue key battle. Nice music choice too.

I've just noticed that 4shockblast's map has awesome circular GRAYTALL pillars, aligned in a way to form nice and dense vertical strips. I like the effect a lot.

Also, franckFRAG, that piece of a map looks pretty good so far - great rounded shapes and smooth lighting.

It is pretty decent shockblast. I already covered my complaints in IRC so I'll just recap quickly: some switches could be more obvious and the green armor room's monsters could follow you out if you run to become snipers later on. The pair of cybers end up being less than threatening by the end but you have a BFG for quick cleanup if you save it.

FranckFrag: Looks cool so far, really looking forward to it. Can we expect a swift death? :P

Also, still wondering about the state of Breezeep's map. It'd be cool to have a collab map in here if they're not keen on finishing it. Also probably expecting a short Joshymap in the near future(?), and waiting on a couple of others as well. I'd like to have this thing out by February at most, but that's not a hard deadline just yet.

A note: Co-op compatibility will be required eventually, but I won't nag anyone for it until we have a testable release candidate for it. Don't forget MP-monsters!

Hey here is a "I'm still working on my map" post. I'll post a couple of screenshots for now.

I just finished "detailing" the map tonight after working on it all week. I didn't plan on getting too deep with the texture alignment, but I did anyways and it took me forever. Gameplay stuff shouldn't take me nearly as long, hopefully :P

Mechadon said:

I just finished "detailing" the map tonight after working on it all week.

Damn, that looks awesome!

My update: still in a bit of a long convalescence, but once I finish my UDINO map I'll plunge hardcore into this project.