Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

Hating doom is cool now?

DooM_RO said:

Doesn't it seems strange to you that the reception of the game is more positive here than anywhere else on the internet?

Yeah, it's totally weird that the members of DOOMworld, the foremost community site for the DOOM series of games, who call themselves DOOMers have a mostly positive outlook on the next game in the DOOM series. That's strange as fuck.

AirRaid said:

Yeah, it's totally weird that the members of DOOMworld, the foremost community site for the DOOM series of games, who call themselves DOOMers have a mostly positive outlook on the next game in the DOOM series. That's strange as fuck.

You don't understand. Whenever a classic franchise that has been dormant for a long time is revived, the largest community usually tears the game apart and don't even want to give the game a chance and are usually the first to jump on irrational conclusions and assumptions. Just looks at posts about the game from NeoGaf and Reddit. Some truly retarded stuff there.

DooM_RO said:

You don't understand. Whenever a classic franchise that has been dormant for a long time is revived, the largest community usually tears the game apart and don't even want to give the game a chance and are usually the first to jump on irrational conclusions and assumptions. Just looks at posts about the game from NeoGaf and Reddit. Some truly retarded stuff there.

Not only Reddit & NeoGaf, believe me.
Usually, people think negatively of new DOOM because of:
1) it's a multiplatform game, while, according to some doomers, "it should be PC only";
2) Bethesda's involvement in the development of DOOM (recently one man told me that imp's current design makes him look like a Falmer from Skyrim, almost identically);
3) SnapMap's limits;
4) Unability to accept almost any new ideas to the new DOOM, e.t.c.

Sometimes it makes me think that people don't understand what is exactly that they do want. Could be more reasons as well, though.
Myself - things that I hear & read about DOOM are being much positive, than I imagined.

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

Not only Reddit & NeoGaf, believe me.
Usually, people think negatively of new DOOM because of:
1) it's a multiplatform game, while, according to some doomers, "it should be PC only";
2) Bethesda's involvement in the development of DOOM (recently one man told me that imp's current design makes him look like a Falmer from Skyrim, almost identically);
3) SnapMap's limits;
4) Unability to accept almost any new ideas to the new DOOM, e.t.c.

Sometimes it makes me think that people don't understand what is exactly that they do want. Could be more reasons as well, though.
Myself - things that I hear & read about DOOM are being much positive, than I imagined.

All those reasons are retarded.

DooM_RO said:

All those reasons are retarded.

Well, at least I tried to prove them wrong. Unfortunately they either won't listen to me, either they'll call me ... differently :)
And yeah, one more thing. Seems that some doomers want sort of an EXACT copy (in terms of gameplay & visual design and style) of Doom/Doom 2, but in 3D. Almost without any new improvements. What can I say? Only that some people need to be open-minded, IMHO...

I don't understand the outright hatred of it, we still don't really know TOO about the game, despite that recent game informer article and the mp alpha.

But I don't think we can honestly expect it to blow people away like the original. But it sounds like they're trying to make a good game and it sounds like one that is going to stick out as something different from all the samey modern shooters we got in recent years.

ChickenOrBeef said:

but that's probably because NeoGAF thinks their complaining affected the game.

That's so incredibly stupid. They never changed anything. They were just too retarded to realize that the game has dynamic lighting.

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

Sometimes it makes me think that people don't understand what is exactly that they do want.

People don't know what they want, or rather what they want and what they say they want are two different things. That's why focus testing can go sour real quick.

It's baffling to me how little some people understand about the propagation of light. Even when ol' "pissfilter" was a hot topic, there were plenty of examples, both in video and screenshot form, of a variety of other colors being presented. Real facepalm moment.

GoatLord said:

It's baffling to me how little some people understand about the propagation of light. Even when ol' "pissfilter" was a hot topic, there were plenty of examples, both in video and screenshot form, of a variety of other colors being presented. Real facepalm moment.

I think some people want to look for reasons to hate the game like how DARE the new Id make a sequel to something that is already perfect? That's how I see it.

Sometimes the bigger the fan, the bigger the critic.

Only people that seem to be talking shit are the ones who didn't play the alpha and write the game off as being another Quake.

The 'piss filter' comments really did my head in, any normal person could see its environmental lighting effects going on. That style of lighting was present in psx doom and doom 64 but no its a filter :/

Another thing that winds me up is wolf TNO getting a shit ton of praise and now we have doom using a similar perk / upgrade system to that game and people start shooting down doom because its using those features. Even shadow warrior, another praised game that uses the upgrade \ perks system but no one complains about it.

You even got people worrying about vertical level design - like have these people not played a fps since doom 2 lol.

archvile82 said:

The 'piss filter' comments really did my head in, any normal person could see its environmental lighting effects going on. That style of lighting was present in psx doom and doom 64 but no its a filter :/

Another thing that winds me up is wolf TNO getting a shit ton of praise and now we have doom using a similar perk / upgrade system to that game and people start shooting doom because its using those features. Even shadow warrior, another praised game that uses the upgrade \ perks system but no one complains about it.

You even got people worrying about vertical level design - like have these people not played a fps since doom 2 lol.

Great point about Shadow Warrior. The same people who hate Doom for its upgrade system praise Shadow Warrior for an arguably worse system. Maybe they just want to like it more because it's more of an underdog like "yeah, that small polish dev sure showed the big, evil AAA developer".

I think people just want to find reasons to hate the game. Like, if I really tried, I could find all sorts of little stuff that I could nitpick in the original such as useless zombiemen and the pistol.

Something that's very important to remember here is that NeoGaf, GameFAQs, and a good portion of Reddit have a long history of being incredibly retarded.
In my opinion, those websites don't matter at all.

Shaviro said:

The only people whining about it seem to be fans of the original game and it's mostly centered around weird misconceptions about color and lighting.

I think people are just starting to get tired of the same color schemes, principally on a subconscious level. It's only a small number for now, but the hassle will probably grow over the years.

DooM_RO said:

Great point about Shadow Warrior. The same people who hate Doom for its upgrade system praise Shadow Warrior for an arguably worse system. Maybe they just want to like it more because it's more of an underdog like "yeah, that small polish dev sure showed the big, evil AAA developer".

I think people just want to find reasons to hate the game. Like, if I really tried, I could find all sorts of little stuff that I could nitpick in the original such as useless zombiemen and the pistol.

This is currently happening with Witcher 3 fanboys attacking Fallout 4. Exact same thing.

"yeah, that small polish dev sure showed the big, evil AAA developer" - that is the primary reason I think.

DecemberMan said:

This is currently happening with Witcher 3 fanboys attacking Fallout 4. Exact same thing.

"yeah, that small polish dev sure showed the big, evil AAA developer" - that is the primary reason I think.

Happened with Dragon Age too though I do think TW3 is far better than Fallout 4. Thing is, they don't have to be so retarded about it.

Honestly, Shadow Warrior 2 doesn't seem superior to Doom in any way.

All those people that complained about Doom 2016 are probably fanboys of another game.
They don't understand Doom like us, a game that revolutionized FPS, the game that led to the wide array of FPS games. But became linear in the process. This Doom will probably change the outlook on them.

Make them think in Doomguy's feet:

Imagine- There is a pistol in your hand. And chaos out there. You see the simple armor that does its job just fine, and the helmet sitting on the desk. You pick it up and admire it, taking every detail. And finally put it on, and it calibrates the armor's system (a hint of Halo there). The door in front is stuck. You pry it open with the help of the suit's strength and look around. Your CO (Commanding Officier) is dead. So are his soldiers, your friends. But you know if there's trouble, it must be taken down. Moving on and you encounter a undead soldier. Its not your friend anymore, just another threat. You shoot it down, and becomes stunned. With anger of what they did to him, you grab its neck and force a humongous punch, forcing blood to fly from its dislocated jaw. Then an imp appears, screams at you and throws its fireballs. The suit absorbs what it can. But eventually it starts to appear dazed. Now is your chance, to show the Hellspawn that Marines are stronger, you grab its dry jaws and rip out the lower jaw, with a satisfied crunch.

DooM_RO said:

Shadow Warrior 2 doesn't seem superior to Doom in any way.

The reason some people feel it looks better is because of two things:

-Faster run speed
-Enemies seem to be entirely placed around the map, instead of the heavy use of teleporters that DOOM will use

Thing is, DOOM still seems to be the more old-school shooter, since Shadow Warrior will require the player to stop when shooting for the most part. I've watched a bunch of footage from that game and it just doesn't interest me at all.

ChickenOrBeef said:

The reason some people feel it looks better is because of two things:

-Faster run speed
-Enemies seem to be entirely placed around the map, instead of the heavy use of teleporters that DOOM will use

Thing is, DOOM still seems to be the more old-school shooter, since Shadow Warrior will require the player to stop when shooting for the most part. I've watched a bunch of footage from that game and it just doesn't interest me at all.

I don't think it's faster.

Hipsters.

Nah, but yeah I've been seeing hate for Doom 4 as well, mostly due to the nostalgia people have for the older games, thus perceiving the newer games as some kind of betrayal to the series. Or, like everything, Doom is just not for them. One thing I've noticed though is that some gamers on the internet, especially on websites such as GameFAQs, are generally overly critical about a lot of games. They represent a small minority however, I'm sure many people will enjoy this new installment in the long running Doom series.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Actually, someone posted a new thread on NeoGAF regarding the new screenshots saying the "pissfilter" is gone. That thread has been extremely positive, but that's probably because NeoGAF thinks their complaining affected the game.

I'm not so sure they didn't. The conspicuously red Cacademon in the new Game Informer is suspiciously, well, conspicuous. And you know id hand selected those shots for the "article," right?

TheGamePhilosophe said:

I'm not so sure they didn't. The conspicuously red Cacademon in the new Game Informer is suspiciously, well, conspicuous. And you know id hand selected those shots for the "article," right?

That doesn't prove that anything has actually changed though. If you look at the Cacodemons on the magazine cover, their color looks similarly drab to the Hell demo. And some of the other new screenshots showcase strong red lighting that encompass the enemies as well.

NeoGAF thinks they made iD remove the "pissfilter", but instead they're just looking at areas with more neutral lighting.

archvile82 said:

The 'piss filter' comments really did my head in, any normal person could see its environmental lighting effects going on.

*Looks at yellowish-green color* "PISS!!!!!!!!!"

TheGamePhilosophe said:

As opposed to what? How the hell else do you think marketing materials are chosen? Random selection? The will of god? The power of grayskull?

AirRaid said:

As opposed to what? How the hell else do you think marketing materials are chosen? Random selection? The will of god? The power of grayskull?

Private meetings.

DooM_RO said:

I don't think it's faster.

I believe it's indeed not faster.

I'm not sure if it was edited, but the speed of Doom 4 on that "or even a old 4 player classic deathmatch" has the true speed of Doom 4. Or maybe it was just values changed via snap?

Either way.. SW2 sucks balls and this is coming from an SW fan. It's just more of the same mistake that SW reboot was.

DooM_RO said:

I think some people want to look for reasons to hate the game like how DARE the new Id make a sequel to something that is already perfect? That's how I see it.

How dare you, the id!