Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

As you should expect, Weapon.Kickback is a property of Weapon actors, so you need to inherit from Weapon.

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

As you should expect, Weapon.Kickback is a property of Weapon actors, so you need to inherit from Weapon.

Oh, ok yeah. I forgot you can't just create actors out of nowhere. Silly me.

Actor like monsters, projectiles or decorations don't require inheriting from any actors. Actors like players, weapons or inventory do require inheriting, though.

I'm having trouble with the Weapon.Kickback property. I'm basically trying to make a weapon that doesn't deal damage but pushes enemies back a lot. However, this property doesn't seem to do anything.

That's because the thrust force is computed from both the kickback property and the damage taken at the moment, and no damage inevitably results in no thrust.

15 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Amusing idea, could you then in theory use negative damage (healing) to pull enemies towards you? :P

It doesn't work :[ I don't know why you'd want to pull enemies towards you, though :P

One last question (hopefully): I ended up using a projectile (A_FireProjectile) and while it works, it only travels horizontally, ignoring autoaim and manual aiming.

Make sure you're not accidentally calling A_FireProjectile with such a value of the "flags" parameter that disables autoaim.

Nevermind, I fixed the issue.

Protip: Don't use ridiculously high speeds for projectiles. It breaks things.

I'm starting to think I should've made a thread.

How can you remove actor flags? I want to create a monster just like the Cyberdemon but without the +NORADIUSDMG flag.

1 minute ago, scifista42 said:

-NORADIUSDMG

It's written right at the top of this page: Actor_flags

Yeah, I realized afterwards. I really should look around the wiki some more before asking. Hopefully this is all I'll ask for now.

Thank you for all the help :)

Technically the flag is NORADIUSDMG, the + or - sign isn't part of the name and is merely there to mean, well, add or remove the flag. 

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I'm starting to think I should've made a thread.

It could be argued that you should always do this no matter how trivial the issue, as it greatly helps future users find it when searching for it when they have the same question(s). :)

How to create underwater effect in boom format? I saw it in boomedit.wad but I don't understand how to create it. 

I've returned to Doom mapping after maybe 15 years and I got my old maps working with doom builder 2 and gzdoom. But I have one issue: Why are my hires textures not working with my own custom maps while they are ok when playing vanilla maps? Hires flats are ok, but walls are not. Also some textures seem to stretch oddly. Any ideas? Thanks

But if the hires textures work without issues if I don't load my wad? How could any setting affect it? And there isn't any special textures in my wad either... Is it possible to have a wad somehow outdated or not compatible?

Edited by Skitso

Basic DB2 question that I can't seem figure out. Is there a way to change the lighting in visual mode? It's always brighter than in game but I like how it looks in game as opposed to visual mode and would prefer not to brighten it. Thanks.

53 minutes ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Basic DB2 question that I can't seem figure out. Is there a way to change the lighting in visual mode? It's always brighter than in game but I like how it looks in game as opposed to visual mode and would prefer not to brighten it. Thanks.

Where did you set the slider?

Spoiler

wfAcE8k.png

Other than that use B to toggle full brightness.

10 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Where did you set the slider?

Reveal hidden contents

wfAcE8k.png

Other than that use B to toggle full brightness.

Thanks dude! I did not see that slider for some reason. Fixed.

Hey there. I'm working on a single map using the cc4-tex resource pack. I would like to add a custom sky but seem to be doing something wrong as I'm not seeing the new texture in GZDB. The new sky would also be 1024x240 and the map's in the 01 slot.

This is a really newbie question, but here I go:

How much time does it take to learn and understan really good how to make maps or use the editor? I am interested in making them, but they look quite hard or time consuming. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

How much time does it take to learn and understan really good how to make maps or use the editor? I am interested in making them, but they look quite hard or time consuming. Thank you

There is no end to what you can learn when mapping, and making a good map is something that requires a relatively deep understanding of how things in doom behave. Chances are your first few small maps can take you days or weeks even, and chances are that they'll be functional, but not necessarily "good" by any stretch of the imagination. You wanna map? Bring along a lot of patience, and braise yourself for direct feedback that might hurt a little at times, because somebody is gonna find something in your first mapping attempts that isn't good at all.

That being said, there is no answer to your question, because nobody here knows your baseline of expertise in this game, and even if that was the case, there's still no telling how quickly you understand the builder you're working with, or how quickly you develop a proper working routine. Don't start mapping if you don't have quite a bit of time to spare here and there to get things done.