Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

18 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Stuck monsters in Dark Entries, HMP.

GZDoom with Smooth Doom, in case those are important factors.

Damn it, I always miss something.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

The "scripting" on the switch in the dark room near the start of Map02 is broken on ITYTD in choco. Also idcleving to Map02 in Eternity and PrBoom+ seems to load the vanilla version, not the Boom version?

Huh, that's strange.  I know players take less damage in ITYTD, but does that also change how explosives affect them?  From what I can tell, the exploding object doesn't move the player at all.

You'll have to use the console in Eternity to load the Boom-format maps (MAP02B in that case).  I'm not sure of a way to load the Boom map in PrBoom+.

57 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Stuck monsters in Dark Entries, HMP.

Noted!  I'll get that fixed.

Edited by Mechadon

10 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

Huh, that's strange.  I know players take less damage in ITYTD, but does that also change how explosives affect them?  From what I can tell, the exploding object doesn't move the player at all.

If you have a barrel at a distance such that the player is supposed to take 1 damage, in ITYTD it will be rounded down to 0, as is my understanding. If the levels all use a similar setup then I expect playing on ITYTD would break all of them.

13 minutes ago, Linguica said:

If you have a barrel at a distance such that the player is supposed to take 1 damage, in ITYTD it will be rounded down to 0, as is my understanding. If the levels all use a similar setup then I expect playing on ITYTD would break all of them.

Ok I see, thank for the info.  Just did some quick testing and yup, all of the voodoos are broken when playing on ITYTD.

I've already got a fix though; moving the exploder object closer to the player diagonally 1mp gets them working again.  So I'll have Easy flagged exploders for those difficulties, and the Medium/Hard for everything else.

Thank you for finding that bug!

By the way, I got a report that the wad was crashing in Doom2+.  I believe I've got this fixed as well (forgot to fix the sprite marker name).

*edit*

Just so everyone is aware, these are the Boom-format maps: MAP02B, MAP19B, MAP27B, & MAP30B.  This info is in the readme as well, but it might get lost in all of the other stuff in there.

Edited by Mechadon

5 hours ago, Mechadon said:

I don't think it was the intention of the admins to have this overshadow other projects, and I certainly don't want that. 

Unfortunately, that is the case.  Despite their "importance" or what have you they still get the to be the attention of the forum.  I don't think they should overshadow other people's works.  If I were mapper and wanted to share something with the world I'd be very frustrated to know two other projects are given the spotlight while everything else is seemingly cast aside, not worthy of attention as decided by a select few.

I'll second this. Can't help but feel that it's unfair to a lot of projects that took a huge amount of effort to make. The 'significance' of any project is subjective, a lot of people aren't going to be interested in these wads and yet they get special treatment and a lot more exposure than other mapper's work. The admin's opinions on which wad is or isn't significant shouldn't really have an impact on which wads get played more. 

Not trying to start a huge argument or undermine the level of work that went into this (or REKKR) but I felt like it is a precedent I don't want set and wanted to say something.

Yea I can understand the sentiment.  Honestly I think it would be cool to see more big projects get pinned for extra visibility once they get released.  But this was totally out of my hands so not sure what else I can say :P

Anyways, so far I've fixed a handful of bugs that have popped up.  The worst ones were the broken voodoo dolls when playing on ITYTD, and thankfully that was easily fixed.  I'm uploading the changelog so you guys can see what's going to be changed in the v1.1 release.  Check it out HERE.

If you find any bugs, please don't forgot to post it here!

I hope somebody with the appropriate hardware could run this on https://doomwiki.org/wiki/64Doom, resulting in the port ouroboros of Doom for Nintendo 64 for Doom 2 for PC for Nintendo 64.

Then replace the ROM chip inside a real Doom 64 cart and give it to someone to utterly confuse them.

9 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Sounds like the same problem ZDaemon was having.  I don't know the specifics of why, but its because the voodoo dolls sit directly on top of the line actions.  When I moved the lines 1mp in front of the doll, they would work.  At the time, ZDaemon was the only port that didn't trigger the actions like this, every other port we tested in worked.

I managed to fix this, tracing down the problem to P_PointOnLineSide() in p_maputl.c. The upcoming version of DOOM Retro will run this fine now.

5 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Not trying to start a huge argument or undermine the level of work that went into this (or REKKR) but I felt like it is a precedent I don't want set and wanted to say something.

We already have a precedent: Cacowards. A bunch of dudes with subjective opinions deciding which wads to bring into the spotlight.

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

... Then replace the ROM chip inside a real Doom 64 cart and give it to someone to utterly confuse them.

Then watch it appear on eBay as *L@@K ULTRA RARE DOOM64 PROTOTYPE!!!!*

Then watch the community crowdsource purchase it, followed by disassembling it to find its secrets...

23 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Can't about your mods but I'm playing with Smooth Doom and so far in regular play the nightmare imps have worked out just fine: just warped to MAP30, spoiling a little for myself in the process, and the motherdemon appears to work fine.

I totally forgot about the nightmare imps in Doom 64, I thought the final boss was the only new ennemy in this Doom 64 convertion for Doom II.
Now my interest for Blood fixer iwad with this megawad is reduced because it touch solely certain vanilla color blood species.
And I don't like the difference of blood between the nightmare imps and spectres, Therefore I will play this megawad without Blood fixer.
For Pistol Start Enforcer iwad it is just a automatic pistol start in the beginning of each levels, normally if all the weapons are vanilla there is no issue.

Screenshot_Doom_20180715_102251.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180715_104657.png

Just got finished the whole thing this morning. Outstanding work from everyone involved. Not a fan of seeing a reprise of MAP06's puzzle on the final map but it being optional was the best thing. Motherdemon herself I have no qualms with personally...

Spoiler

...but be aware that she can be essentially stunlocked and spammed easily with point-blank range BFG.

And I gotta say, by the time I was at Eye Of The Storm, it sunk in that you guys had done something really special here -- in some instances actually surpassed the excellent atmosphere of the original N64 game. Had I any clout here, a shoe-in for the Cacowards. Easily. <3 

how are you supposed to get the yellow skull in map10? the window of reaction needed to solve the switch puzzle is far too small for me to manage, even with attempting rocket jumps.

1 minute ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

how are you supposed to get the yellow skull in map10? the window of reaction needed to solve the switch puzzle is far too small for me to manage, even with attempting rocket jumps.

Think outside the box room.

It's not like I'll be using these alt statbars with this megawad but hellbar definitely fits Plutonia and metbar looks like lost-and-found for Evilution. ;p

13 hours ago, Linguica said:

I hope somebody with the appropriate hardware could run this on https://doomwiki.org/wiki/64Doom, resulting in the port ouroboros of Doom for Nintendo 64 for Doom 2 for PC for Nintendo 64.

Then replace the ROM chip inside a real Doom 64 cart and give it to someone to utterly confuse them.

I was going to say "Challenge accepted!", since I have an Everdrive 64 and all, but then I realized 64doom doesn't have a way to accept DEH patches or embed external files, unless I've missed something. I could merge D64D2.WAD into DOOM2.WAD, but that DEH does more than just rename maps, and I get the feeling the game would be pretty significantly broken without it...

Would have to review the deh changes and recompile the engine with them, I suppose.

But I'm not optimistic about performance, if it's gonna work at all. Vanilla limits don't necessarily mean good optimization, especially as far as specific platforms go.

10 minutes ago, wildweasel said:

but then I realized 64doom doesn't have a way to accept DEH patches or embed external files

If you could get it compiling and working otherwise then I am sure I or someone else could do the appropriate source code changes.

@Da Werecat It's the fact that its a deep little rectangle hole that uses the same brick texture around it as it does inside it. It doesn't stand out, It looks more like a secret than actual level progression. I missed it when I originally looked over in the direction, granted I could have just been being blind, but I cant help to think that if some one where playing on choco doom they wouldn't know what to do in the area. Doom is a game in which the player is probably going to be going pretty fast they look and see the two placed shotgun shells, grab them, turn around quickly, and never see the switch.

changing the textures on the inner part would make it stand out more.

On Map10 I was able to run forward and instantly grab the red key off of the platform it was on the second I first saw it. Is that intentional?

edit: I just bump grabbed the yellow key on the same map too.

52 minutes ago, Linguica said:

If you could get it compiling and working otherwise then I am sure I or someone else could do the appropriate source code changes.

Well, given 64doom's maintainer never wrote compiling instructions (only instructions to build the ROM), this is gonna be an adventure...and it starts with installing the N64 toolchain. Here we go... 😖

I understand the concept, just didn't work quite as easily as I expected.

Red key is practically useless on this map. Maybe the yellow one could be moved a little farther from the edge.

Well I literally accidentally grabbed the red key in the course of normal play, I wasn't even really intending to.