Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Impromptu Minidido (Project Thread)

I dont know if this map is a good choice for an Ironman because some fights are very hard for a blind run, but thats just my opinion

NIH's platforming section would be the best to do first in a saveless run. :P

I've softened the BK path a bit. More shells upfront, more rockets. 

One thing that might be worth accomplishing is giving the entries to all three indoor 'clusters' their own flavor of combat. The brown area is rooted in hitscan attrition, and the techbase in close-quarters combat, but the red area starts off largely with hitscan attrition too, as the area is too spacious for anything but the shotgunners and chaingunners present to be the main threat. Its starting section could probably use more of an emphasis on projectile monsters (projectile hell, heh). 

1 hour ago, Bdubzzz said:

Hmm It might be better to change the first part of my fight back to how it was ( not the floor bit lol ) but uh how the 2 cybers were walking around on the floor with the other monsters, not up in the cage cause they do nothing up there really. Maybe just have some revs up there or something, viles were annoying to BFG down :p and for the 2nd part maybe a few more viles cause it is relatively easy to just BFG rush them currently.

That works. 

Edited by rdwpa

42 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Now you're making it sound harder than it is in reality. ;-)

Or maybe not. >:-D 

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

the hell section ironically seems to be the safest first point

45 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

1 hour ago, DanielAlexander said:

I dont know if this map is a good choice for an Ironman because some fights are very hard for a blind run, but thats just my opinion

tbh it's total chaos and uncertainty for people going in blind 1-try, which is why it's the best~ ironman.

Here's a 1-try ironman attempt starting with heel's hill: noisy_mini_alpha3_NineInchDickInMyButt.zip

Total Monsters Killed (Points): 0

In a saveless max, the deathhill would be efficient, but using the ironman format for maps like these, yikes.  I guess if you score here you get a BFG but the risk is too crazy.

I'm also a little drunk, but I don't think it was the alcohol that did me in here.

Actually I was thinking.. on my lunch break at work.. you could for the 2nd part have 2 viles teleport in on the left, 2 on the right ( at the 4 teleporters), 6 at the original spawn points (plus the 2 at top) AND maybe 2 in the middle cage since there would be revs to res from the 1st part (I haven't tested how this would play out lul)

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

a little drunk

It seems being drunk is your normal status, while not being drunk is your "special" status lol

It's a shame that we don't live close, or we can be good drinking friends ;P

As I was reading through all these cat picture posts, my cat slowly walked into the room. Timing...

9 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

It wouldn't have to be blind. As you may recall, @Alfonzo allows for three options: blind, you've seen it before but don't remember much, you've prepared for your run. So, someone wouldn't have to go in blind for this to be part of the IronMan challenge.

8 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Here's a 1-try ironman attempt starting with heel's hill: noisy_mini_alpha3_NineInchDickInMyButt.zip

Interesting name for the file.

21 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Sadly, skullkeys are being used for certain doors, but if not or i'm sure there's another way, it would be cool to put a difficulty meter next to the entrances of certain areas to denote the difficulty of each section, making it easier for the player to choose their path order. Sadly I have not played enough to see most of the map, but from what i've heard and played, certain areas or sections are much harder to start with that others, just a thought though.

I agree that would be a nice touch. However, difficulty is very subjective; there would have to be some sort of metric against which the difficulty was judged if some sort of "meter" was going to be put next to each door. And would the difficulties be consistent between different difficulty levels?

For instance, if you enter the gray stone building to start, you're faced with two sergeants facing away from you, an imp on a far ledge (in the shadows), and a hell knight half-blocked by barricades, with a shotgun a few steps away. On ITYTD, you can easily dash in, grab the shotgun and clean up those enemies while taking minimal, if any, damage. On UV, you're faced with the same setup, except there's a chaingunner, who immediately opens fire, trying to turn you to hamburger before you've even had a chance to pick up the shotgun. I don't know if the other paths have had similar changes in difficulty from one level to the next.

A small modification that could be made for my section:

Move the lift that doesn't lead to the blue armor to somewhere out in the rocky area, perhaps over by the stimpack crate.

That way you will be able to enter from where you are supposed to if you come in from the south.

I actually want to see a bigger map after this. Like 2-3 times larger. :]

33 minutes ago, Archi said:

GZDoombuilder.exe has encountered a fatal error and must be shut down

6 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

I would love to see a demo/video of someone completing the map

Killer5 aka MrZzul streamed a playthrough of it most recently. Demos are something you can probably only actually expect when there's a final version available. We don't even have a RC yet.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Oh come on.

5aca90f4e16da_.png.73f9a3732d4cd5d653b8c0438fe5aa66.png

Also look, there's plenty of free space!

5aca91b1e86f3_.png.53bd2751cc9c9993ec4f295110338a3f.png

2 hours ago, Archi said:

At one point, the statement was made that if this project goes well, it could be expanded. I don't know if that would be the best idea, but judging by what was submitted with a 2 hour time limit, think of what you'd get if you gave everyone 4 hours or more to work with.

In which case, you'd have your 2x or 3x map.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I opened the map in Eureka and it didn't crash, but it slowed so much that I had to close it.

16 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

Actually I was thinking.. on my lunch break at work.. you could for the 2nd part have 2 viles teleport in on the left, 2 on the right ( at the 4 teleporters), 6 at the original spawn points (plus the 2 at top) AND maybe 2 in the middle cage since there would be revs to res from the 1st part (I haven't tested how this would play out lul)

That turns out to be 10x more dangerous than the main fight. :P

Have added the cybs on the ground, and have copied the teleport lines in the big battery and put them at the back too, which solves the warping issue even better. What explains some of the trickling is that with a battery sized 1000x500 units, there's 2500+ units of back-and-forth wandering if a monster misses an attempt to warp (zigzag movement makes it more than just the length of the battery twice, if the battery isn't skinny).

At the moment I've put 4 viles on the sides at the teleporters, and 4 viles in the initial area, on top of the original revs in the central area. That is tougher than the original number at the initial area, but is about the most possible without making this part somewhat inconsistent and also tougher than the first phase.

1 hour ago, Archi said:

Oh come on.

5aca90f4e16da_.png.73f9a3732d4cd5d653b8c0438fe5aa66.png

Also look, there's plenty of free space!

What version is that? I'm getting these stats. 

HkhKitG.png

23 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

At one point, the statement was made that if this project goes well, it could be expanded. I don't know if that would be the best idea, but judging by what was submitted with a 2 hour time limit, think of what you'd get if you gave everyone 4 hours or more to work with.

In which case, you'd have your 2x or 3x map.

That was before I realized it'd be this big. :P 

I can't foresee encouraging bigger and more complex individual submissions being the best idea, because at that point one gets away from 'sections of map that can interact fluidly' and starts to get into 'separate modestly sized maps that happen to coexist in the same slot' territory. The extra time would be better served  invested into extra visual polish and fight testing of areas that are no larger and no more intricate than they are now. For this exercise, a lot of submissions hit the sweet spot as far as size and simplicity go.

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

That was before I realized it'd be this big. :P 

I can't foresee encouraging bigger and more complex individual submissions being the best idea, because at that point one gets away from 'sections of map that can interact fluidly' and starts to get into 'separate modestly sized maps that happen to coexist in the same slot' territory. The extra time would be better served  invested into extra visual polish and fight testing of areas that are no larger and no more intricate than they are now. For this exercise, a lot of submissions hit the sweet spot as far as size and simplicity go.

Hence my statement, "I don't know if that would be the best idea." I agree that the sections, as they are now, are quite good and mesh very well. Besides, in my opinion, if you have to take 30 to 45 minutes (if not longer) to go through a single map, it's plenty big.

I think there's speed runs of the original Doom 2 that take less time.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

That turns out to be 10x more dangerous than the main fight. :P

Have added the cybs on the ground, and have copied the teleport lines in the big battery and put them at the back too, which solves the warping issue even better. What explains some of the trickling is that with a battery sized 1000x500 units, there's 2500+ units of back-and-forth wandering if a monster misses an attempt to warp (zigzag movement makes it more than just the length of the battery twice, if the battery isn't skinny).

At the moment I've put 4 viles on the sides at the teleporters, and 4 viles in the initial area, on top of the original revs in the central area. That is tougher than the original number at the initial area, but is about the most possible without making this part somewhat inconsistent and also tougher than the first phase

Sounds good, I kinda figured it would be a little much but wasn't sure without testing ;p

10 hours ago, rdwpa said:

What version is that? I'm getting these stats. 

That's one of my old maps. :P

On 4/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, Scotty said:

I would like to modify one of the fights in my area if possible...?

On 4/7/2018 at 4:33 PM, rdwpa said:

You can. The easiest way is to describe changes and I'll edit them in. 

@Scotty

38 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

@Scotty

Hmmm... was still mulling over ways to get rid of camping style strats for that Mastermind fight in my area. Perhaps making the Revs also rez-able is the most simple way to do it seeing as there isn't space for another bank of imps on the opposite side.